Game-Labs Forum

PVE Server and PVE zones - Preliminary announcement.

29 minutes ago, ER0S said:

To the Devs; Please read the entire post before you ban me!

This is the worst idea yet! You are going to lose so many players over this! (me included) I've played all three servers, but ended coming back to PvE because I was so tired of the BS!  Certain clans seem to think "THEY" rule the server, and you "HAVE" to do as they tell you or they will focus on driving you from the server.... how you may ask? ALTS! They come right out and tell you that they will use their alts to sink you whenever they see you until you quit. There are players who brag about having multiple alt accounts! Which leads us to the next problem. We can't attack anything because we get a private message saying "don't attack that ship, it's my alt!" If you reply that all other nations are fair game, they go back to the threats. Then there's the packs of "children" who think a fair fight is at least six to one, or are in a ship that is vastly bigger than yours. They will run away unless they can catch you alone, or out numbered! I work odd hours, and as a result, it's hard to find players in my nation that are online at the same time. So if I'm in a clan or not, i mostly sail alone. What am i supposed to do? Sail with people that speak a different language just so there are more friendly ships around? From past changes made to the game, i wouldn't be surprised to see this "PvE" area to be intentionally limited, with the goal being to force players into PvP areas in order to get certain materials. Is is fair? I don't want to limit the amount of time i have available to play to be based on when there are enough clan mates online so i won't have my Trader Snow attacked by seven players in Surprises! WITH THEIR FLEET SHIPS!!!

It's your game, and you will do what you want (always have). And i don't want this to sound insulting, or threatening, but here are a few things i think you should consider. 1st, I thought the goal of making a game was to make money, but if you keep driving away players because you don't listen to them, I don't see you doing much of that. 2nd, word of mouth. I have played this game for over 2000 hours, and have recommended it to many people, but if you keep going in the direction you seem to be going, i will leave the game. Want to guess what i will be telling people after that? again, it's not a threat, but simple fact. Do you offer good comments for products you don't like to people you know? I have already heard people who have left the game give it bad reviews on facebook, teamspeak, and skype, so it's already happening! Yet they also say that they would come back if the "Devs" would just listen to the players. 3rd, everyone has different tastes, some want easier (PvE), some want it "hard core" (PvP with out AI fleets) where the only option is to go out and take what you want/need. Why can't we have it both ways? I can even deal with PvP based rules in PvE if i have to, so there wouldn't have to be different software for the different servers.

So, ban me if you want, but I am only saying things MANY other players (your customers) are saying, but don't want to chance saying here. I think you have a beautiful game going here, with SO much potential! PLEASE! Don't kill it with this lobotomy! Make some accounts (if you don't already have them), come on into the game (PvP and PvE), and talk with us, maybe even invite a few here and there into a voice chat. Listen to our thoughts/ideas/concerns, I know not all will be possible, but it would make us (your testers) feel like we are a part of the team instead of midievil peasants groveling at the feet of the kings!

Thank you for your time, and for ALL the hours of fun I have had with your creation thus far.

I too have had the same experience with the game...it is a fun game and I also have accounts on all three servers...but have also been driven from the PvP servers because 10 pirates think it is great fun to jump a Basic Cutter...must be desperate for that 100 xp...It has been a fun 2000 hours but it may be time for a change of games.  Best of Luck

• Like 6

I really think this is a bad direction for the game, everyone I have talked to about this on the PVE server says that they will be very annoyed if this happens, and most of them say that this will likely lead to them quitting the game. Looking at the steam charts (http://steamcharts.com/app/311310), it is easy to see that this game is loosing players (I don't like it either, but I am just stating facts), and if you (the devs), go through with this, you will be alienating and loosing a significant amount of your player base, which isn't good for any game. I completely agree with what ER0S said earlier, and I sincerely hope that you consider our thoughts and listen to your players.

Thanks, Ethan. 

• Like 3

I agree with EROS.  Been playing this game with him of a long time.  The changes you (Devs) are proposing will destroy the game.  I know the devs do not listen to the majority of the players, just a select few.  I had started this game on PvE, it is a great learning server.  Now you are forcing new players to  start in a small area, and not really fully understand the game and its needed ways to play it.  The bigger problem is that starting the game for a new player, being forced into a small area, what keeps the (children) for going into these areas and laying waste to these new players?

All in all this happens I am gone, was on PvP, and got tired of all the BS there.  Came back to PvE, and now enjoying the game again.  To bad, was a great game.  Now with these changes, it will no longer be fun.  Like I always said to many playing this game:  It is only a F**king game, have fun!  Now you are taking that away.

• Like 7

The only thing that sucks for them is limitation to 3 Nations.  Although I'd encourage any of them to just join PvP area, I'm the worst PvP player on the server and I've found a lot of fun as well as fear.  And TONS of great, big hearted, generous, friendly, sportsmanlike players.  I speak of the Continental Navy and it's allies although, believe it or not, I have run into gentlemanly, sportsmanlike enemies as well.

Get together, make friends, sail together.  

Edited by Pad Seayew
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Ethan.B said:

I really think this is a bad direction for the game, everyone I have talked to about this on the PVE server says that they will be very annoyed if this happens, and most of them say that this will likely lead to them quitting the game. Looking at the steam charts (http://steamcharts.com/app/311310), it is easy to see that this game is loosing players (I don't like it either, but I am just stating facts), and if you (the devs), go through with this, you will be alienating and loosing a significant amount of your player base, which isn't good for any game. I completely agree with what ER0S said earlier, and I sincerely hope that you consider our thoughts and listen to your players.

Thanks, Ethan. 

PVE averages what, less than 100 per night tops?.

Why does barely 10 percent of the games population insist on acting like they are 90 percent of the games population?

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Cptn Dahlgren said:

I agree with EROS.  Been playing this game with him of a long time.  The changes you (Devs) are proposing will destroy the game.  I know the devs do not listen to the majority of the players, just a select few.  I had started this game on PvE, it is a great learning server.  Now you are forcing new players to  start in a small area, and not really fully understand the game and its needed ways to play it.  The bigger problem is that starting the game for a new player, being forced into a small area, what keeps the (children) for going into these areas and laying waste to these new players?

All in all this happens I am gone, was on PvP, and got tired of all the BS there.  Came back to PvE, and now enjoying the game again.  To bad, was a great game.  Now with these changes, it will no longer be fun.  Like I always said to many playing this game:  It is only a F**king game, have fun!  Now you are taking that away.

You will be back. :)

this game is in testing, i have to remind myself of that. the Devs have a game that is ground breaking and with vast appeal and potential if they get it right. Getting it right is on their terms and we players are along for the ride. I hope they take their time before releasing it, tweak, test, fool around all they want until they find whats right. Release what will pull in a big audience of gamers who will pay the builders to enjoy the ride they created!

Dont lose faith Dev's, dont let the lashing out of players fool you, it means people are paying attention  :) Keep up the good work guys!

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Justme said:

PVE averages what, less than 100 per night tops?.

Why does barely 10 percent of the games population insist on acting like they are 90 percent of the games population?

This is why I think keeping the PvE server up so long was a bad mistake, hell it should of been shut down when they closed the mirror EU server.   The game never promised a PvE only server until after release.  It's like all the folks that complain about any wipes, you forget folks we are here in an EA doing Alpha Testing of a game in development.   I really surprised we haven't had multi wipes over the last year.

• Like 3

I'd like unhappy PvE players, and all PvE players really, to consider this suggestion.

Now that I know they want to merge the populations, yet maintain PvE as a subset of the normal server, some options opened up in my brain. I'm very interested if PvE players would prefer this, particularly those angry enough to quit, and those otherwise happy with the proposed arrangement.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ethan.B said:

Thanks, Ethan. 

Might want to look at your reference once more.  The numbers are actually going up right now.  Not a lot but still going up since what we had back before the big patch.   In fact I know on PvP2 our numbers have gone up big time the last two months cause we started to do things to get folks back into play.  If other nations would to they will see there numbers go back up like the pirates have.   I'm going to bet you when this patch comes out we will see a big player base spike in numbers.  Maybe get a good number of players that stopped back. I know a good number that said they are waiting for the next big patch/changes before they come back to play as they wanted to take breaks to play other games.

Now we have had a slight dip the last 30 days cause folks are expecting a patch to come out and we been waiting and waiting and waiting.

Edited by Sir Texas Sir
  • Like 1

I totally understand the value cost aspect of this game and also numbers on PvE have been comparatively low to PvP. I would like you to consider this: a good rule of thumb in business is create attractive product with options for those whom wish to consume your ideas; that is done by creating the widest variety of choices possible, build on those choices to bring the customers in the door - in this case you want them to try your product and stay. To keep those customers in the store give them product that they will buy into, both now and in the future. Closing a door drastically cuts profit and potential sales for your company. I suggest leave the door open to future customers by creating products of attraction in that specific market (PvE). Build attraction to that side of the market by using your present resources and implementing your good ideas. It may take awhile BUT your potential payoff, I honestly believe, will be worth it and will pay off big. Don't judge the market by today's numbers only think of your potential market months down the road when you start to implement new ideas into that server; I really believe you have a terrific product (the best I have seen in this category- really I mean that), your future business model needs consideration - very careful consideration and more pro-active marketing. If you find the costs over-run on PvE is too high I suggest a small fee to maintain it for now (we can discuss how this will work if you want), or mirror your resources management from your PvP staff. You have a really good foundation , don't limit your potential now please. I think you can move ahead with both PvP and PvE and market both more effectively. Numbers on PvE are up slightly, and yes I would like to see more but, build it and they will come. Have faith in your work so far and be confident in where it may go, it probably won't take long before you see better numbers given the new ship, crafting improvements and upgrade reset coming. Word of mouth can exponentially increase player numbers very fast.

Edited by Buba Smith
  • Like 3

NA brainstorming session on PvE (an innocent parody ;-)

Dev A : PvE is too great right now. Something has to be done !

Dev B : Let's remove AI aggressiveness. Bot tagging is too fun.

Dev A : Great ! What else ?

Dev B : Let's remove PvE missions.

Dev A : That's even better ! PvE-ers shouldn't be able to quickly find a fight. What about disallowing bot capture ?

Dev B : Nope. It's already been suggested. What about shutting down the PvE server ?

Dev A : Amazing !

Dev B : PvE could be even more boring in an empty zone such as the Gulf of Mexico. Imagine : no island, just a boring coast.

Dev A : Yeah ! And AI must remain dumb, right ?

Dev B : Right !

Dev A : And no exploration gameplay. 

Dev B : Of course. Now we do have our PvE Content plan for 2017-2018.

:P

Reading through the separate announcements but confusion prevails. I have an account in PVP and PVE. Have been mainly active in PVE lately (4 months worth). So as I understand this, we are going to lose all our ships on the wipe. It appears we are going to lose all our buildings for production but I am not clear on that. Are we going to get compensation on the move for all ships, buildings, supplies in warehouses at ports, payments for port establishment etc. How does this start out? New ship or ships? If one selects a PVP after PVE what happens? Does all of the assets in the PVE server migrate to the PVP if the player chooses to move to PVP? How about a move only to PVE?  Just not a lot of instruction on what happens after considerable game investment in the whole process. And, will the glitches that are currently occurring in the PVE server such as disconnects be fixed on the 2 remaining servers? 

without creating PVE areas, why don't let palyers if create a PVE or PVP account in the same server?

players who wants to play pve style, can create a PVE account and use all the map without interaction with PVP players and viceversa.

if PVE player wants to try pvp somethimes, he can buy a ''flag'' (a la POTBS) for a time (1 or 2 hours, 1 a day or more...idk) and try to do battle with other PVP players.

PVE economy will be always separated from PVP economy, avoiding exploit or similar; the only interaction between PVE and PVP worlds will be battles (with ''flag'' mechanics).

1 hour ago, Lord Reginald said:

Reading through the separate announcements but confusion prevails. I have an account in PVP and PVE. Have been mainly active in PVE lately (4 months worth). So as I understand this, we are going to lose all our ships on the wipe. It appears we are going to lose all our buildings for production but I am not clear on that. Are we going to get compensation on the move for all ships, buildings, supplies in warehouses at ports, payments for port establishment etc. How does this start out? New ship or ships? If one selects a PVP after PVE what happens? Does all of the assets in the PVE server migrate to the PVP if the player chooses to move to PVP? How about a move only to PVE?  Just not a lot of instruction on what happens after considerable game investment in the whole process. And, will the glitches that are currently occurring in the PVE server such as disconnects be fixed on the 2 remaining servers? 

All ships, redeemables, notes and paints will be wiped.  It's best to scrap your ships right before the patch to get the materials.  They said they might give us some redeemable, but to stock up on resources and materials until the time the wipe comes.   There has been no mention of buildings or resources/mats being wiped.  If your on PvE your resources and gold will be turned into redeemable and you can get them on PvP Global or PvP EU servers.   The PvP1 server will be mirrored into PvP EU for the EU players that want timer restrictions on port battles.  PvP1 and PvP2 will be merged together to make PvP Global.  We don't have much detail on that merger yet so not sure what server will be merged into what or if they will merge both servers into one server.   

I have almost 2700 hours in this game now. I started on PVE but now play predominantly PVP; in fact I levelled to Rear Admiral on PVE. I thoroughly enjoyed the freedom to explore a vast map on PVE and the community was great and friendly. Personally I don't think I would have enjoyed that time so much if I had been limited to only the Gulf of Mexico.

I fail to see why players who want to play PVE only can't make that choice upfront on server merge and thus be flagged as such so not attackable by PVP players. Then the PVE only players could then have access to the entire map. This is no different to us PVPers not being able to attack our own nation players without turning pirate, so if we click on a PVE Only player ship it would tell us! Just code it that PVE Only tagged players cannot be attacked, and anyone trying to attack them would just get an in game message saying "PVE Only Player, cannot be attacked".

Personally I want the PVE server to merge to bring our communities together but it should be done as described above to ensure PVE Only players have access to the full map and not attackable.

It seems very simple to me, am I missing something????

Edited by PaladinFX
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, ER0S said:

To the Devs; Please read the entire post before you ban me!

This is the worst idea yet! You are going to lose so many players over this! (me included) I've played all three servers, but ended coming back to PvE because I was so tired of the BS!  Certain clans seem to think "THEY" rule the server, and you "HAVE" to do as they tell you or they will focus on driving you from the server.... how you may ask? ALTS! They come right out and tell you that they will use their alts to sink you whenever they see you until you quit. There are players who brag about having multiple alt accounts! Which leads us to the next problem. We can't attack anything because we get a private message saying "don't attack that ship, it's my alt!" If you reply that all other nations are fair game, they go back to the threats. Then there's the packs of "children" who think a fair fight is at least six to one, or are in a ship that is vastly bigger than yours. They will run away unless they can catch you alone, or out numbered! I work odd hours, and as a result, it's hard to find players in my nation that are online at the same time. So if I'm in a clan or not, i mostly sail alone. What am i supposed to do? Sail with people that speak a different language just so there are more friendly ships around? From past changes made to the game, i wouldn't be surprised to see this "PvE" area to be intentionally limited, with the goal being to force players into PvP areas in order to get certain materials. Is is fair? I don't want to limit the amount of time i have available to play to be based on when there are enough clan mates online so i won't have my Trader Snow attacked by seven players in Surprises! WITH THEIR FLEET SHIPS!!!

It's your game, and you will do what you want (always have). And i don't want this to sound insulting, or threatening, but here are a few things i think you should consider. 1st, I thought the goal of making a game was to make money, but if you keep driving away players because you don't listen to them, I don't see you doing much of that. 2nd, word of mouth. I have played this game for over 2000 hours, and have recommended it to many people, but if you keep going in the direction you seem to be going, i will leave the game. Want to guess what i will be telling people after that? again, it's not a threat, but simple fact. Do you offer good comments for products you don't like to people you know? I have already heard people who have left the game give it bad reviews on facebook, teamspeak, and skype, so it's already happening! Yet they also say that they would come back if the "Devs" would just listen to the players. 3rd, everyone has different tastes, some want easier (PvE), some want it "hard core" (PvP with out AI fleets) where the only option is to go out and take what you want/need. Why can't we have it both ways? I can even deal with PvP based rules in PvE if i have to, so there wouldn't have to be different software for the different servers.

So, ban me if you want, but I am only saying things MANY other players (your customers) are saying, but don't want to chance saying here. I think you have a beautiful game going here, with SO much potential! PLEASE! Don't kill it with this lobotomy! Make some accounts (if you don't already have them), come on into the game (PvP and PvE), and talk with us, maybe even invite a few here and there into a voice chat. Listen to our thoughts/ideas/concerns, I know not all will be possible, but it would make us (your testers) feel like we are a part of the team instead of midievil peasants groveling at the feet of the kings!

Thank you for your time, and for ALL the hours of fun I have had with your creation thus far.

I too have 3,685 hrs on record and I could not agree more with the statements made above. I know the developers have tried to listen to players in the past with some good results and some not so good results. Having said that, I also believe that this is one of those times when they really do need to listen to us. Because as sure as I'm writing this they are going to lose a lot of customers and it is true that one disgruntled customer will tell the world, and that has a negative impact on any game. 

Why not use the Pacific for PvE & new player zone, just make a natural Panama Canal to the main PvP map. It seems the best use of the space. No free ports & no regional bonus for ship building. Traders collecting resources in the area have to sail the mats out. The canal could be a hot zone for PvP on who can control the canal.

I think the exit from a non historical "Panama Canal" wouldn't be a hotspot, it would be a nightmare gankers paradise and not workable. I think most would probably quickly decide travelling through to get resources wasn't worth the probable hassle of getting back to the main PVP part of the map. We've got enough areas to get resources from at the moment, Pacific not really needed at this time.

Edited by PaladinFX

12 hours ago, Cptn Dahlgren said:

Funny you claim the devs are only listening to a small minority of players, which in this case happens to be the PVE only players.

If what you said is correct, then they would be removing PVP instead of the PVE server.

The fundamental problem is the DEV's have made two games and they don't know it.  PvP is simply not the same game as PvE and putting the two on one server spoils both.

It would be far better to leave things as they are, concentrate resources on finishing the common functions and the PvP features and to sell that as a PvP only game.  Keep the PvE on the back burner until then.  Finish PvP and then your second product to release would be the PvE game.  It's mostly done anyway and most of the code will be common with PvP so maintaining it should not be that hard. In PvE build up the true simulator aspects of sailing and center it around trading.  Run the two environments separately.

Of course, PvE might be a bit of a sales dud compared to PvP but if you consider every hyrvnia you get by selling PvE as its own game is almost pure profit (as PvE bore the expense of getting the common code finished) it should have some appeal -- especially if you market it as an Age of Sail simulator instead of another MMP shoot 'em up.

I suggest you also do a poll about your current users.  Do you know if there there is a statistically significant age difference between PvP and PvE players?  How interested are mostly PvE players in PvP and vise versa.  If y ou don't already know you should poll first, think about direction second. 

• Like 2