Game-Labs Forum

Run out the guns!

I would like to see the cannon ports close when you disable a cannon deck.  Also it would be nice to have all of the ports closed in open world, just my suggestion.

One word - Drawcalls. For optimization we don't differentiate your ship and enemy ship. 

In the early versions we had cannons roll out and back during fire. But was killing FPS. 

Not likely to return. 

One word - Drawcalls. For optimization we don't differentiate your ship and enemy ship.

In the early versions we had cannons roll out and back during fire. But was killing FPS.

Not likely to return.

But it would be really great. Maybe together with some slight shivering of the ships when the ropes stop the recoil.

Not likely to return. 

Is it possible to enable/disable this option in the game settings for people with better/worse PC's? 

Edited by Ultravis

uh yes i mean cannon recoil in combat, port close in OW.

We should be allowed to close lower deck ports only when the game will take in account flooding from gun ports, (last time i was pushing a 5th rate frig his ports were under water but she wasn't sinking, don't know if it's supposed to work like that)

The ability to open and close the gunports would add a new - interesting aspect to the game. Imagine being in a stormy battle with a ship of the line and a frigate, the SotL would have to keep its gunports closed on its lower gundeck to avoid taking in water, that could shift the balance and give the frigate the upper hand.

Please consider this.

I think it's a great idea.

I think you mean for gun recoil, yeah that would be cool.  But the gun ports wouldn't shut and open every time the gun fires.  That would be.... uh.. silly.

werent there ships that had the gunportlid and th cannon atached with a rope, so then you fire the lid comes down automaticly, shielding the crew while reloading?

werent there ships that had the gunportlid and th cannon atached with a rope, so then you fire the lid comes down automaticly, shielding the crew while reloading?

Problem is you need to get several foot of rammer into the muzzle of the cannon, which would be very hard to do with the gunport closed as the cannons can only recoil so far.

The problem is gun ports were opened on most ships as soon as the ship was ready for action.   This was a standard procedure for the French, British, US, and Spanish navy.

So in the OW the gun ports would be closed, as the ship is not ready for action.   In the battle map the ships would already have the gun ports open as they would have beat to quarters and made the ship ready for action.  

Here is a list of things the British ships did when they beat to quarters and made the ship ready for action.

-Clear the gun decks of any clutter, tables, and non-combat required items.

-unlock the arms lockers and magazine

-put out the cooking fire in the galley and wet the coals in the stove.

-load and run out the guns, and have second powder load ready.

-Marines on the fore castle and quarter deck.

-set sails to "battle" sails. 

-carpenter mates, get plugs, bracing, and tools ready for emergency repairs, spread saw dust on the galley floor for the doctors triage of wounded.

-set 1 way direction of travel inside ship, (US ships it was fore stairs and ladders were up, and aft were down)

Would love to see ports closed in the open world. However I think in this theatre at least some would be open for ventilation.