Game-Labs Forum

Social Perk

173 members have voted

1. 1. The Social Perk

• Should stay how it is (battles stay open for 30 minutes)
    • Should be removed
    • Should keep Battles Open Until BR is relatively even (BR difference between the sides is no more than 10%). If one side has more BR, no one can join their side.
    • Should Keep Battles Open for 3 minutes
    • Should Keep Battles Open for 5 minutes
    • Should Keep Battles Open for 10 minutes
    • Should Keep Battles Open for 15 minutes
    • Should Keep Battles Open for 20 minutes
    • Should Keep Battles Open for more than 20 minutes

The Social Perk currently keeps battles open 30 minutes if the person who initiated the attack or was attacked has the social perk.

Should this be changed?  Right now, it allows either side to easily be ganked if friendlies are nearby.  This is a problem because of teleport and Open World Compression

I personally think it should be either 1.) removed or 2.) Keep Battles Open Until BR is relatively even (BR difference between the sides is no more than 10%).  If one side has more BR, no one can join their side.  I voted for this latter idea because I wouldn't mind testing it and I would have no problem if that perk is kept around.

TLDR  In my opinion.  If there is a time limit on the perk, it should be removed.  If we want the perk to stay, it should allow the side that is outmatched in BR to have players join until the BR is relatively close (10% difference or so).

• Like 14

hi captains

i voted for 30 minutes open 

just to give you a example

this morning i was sailing on my indiaman (trader) near a outpost and was almost at the harbor to dock

suddenly from behind there was a pirate who tagged me by surprise with a surprise (gank)

i entered battle and he was shooting sail to 70 % and later on he shot at the hull

i directly asked for help in national if there was some people who could help me

and all took about 4 minutes when some one responded

gave the coor and directions and 8 minutes later there where 2 captain who came to aid with some small ships (4 minutes + 5 min)

in the mean time i was at both sides 40%

the 2 captains who came in battle could not engage in a proper way so damage was done to my ship by the surpris and lost one side 

in the mean time after 15 minutes a frigate came in the game (he had to sail back to port and had to take a other vessel)

and finally arrived in the battle  (5 plus 15 minutes)

that last incoming  frigate turned the battle from a loss, to a flip of the battle 

the surprise came into heavy fire from the frigate 

at that time i was sinking 

and everything was on survival

the frigate shot the heavenly damaged surprise and captured him 

the battle was over and i could reach the free port quickly and saved my heavenly damaged trader ship

we all had a most acceleration battle time with a good working perk 

even the pirate  surprise must have had great fun  

but if we did not have that perk the battle would have bin doll, and not as much fun as we all experienced 

i see a great future in this 30 minute  perk ,and it would be a loss if it  went (you just need 30 minutes, this game is not a fast game)

its how you use it 

and if you dont  like it you dont have to take it

and i can recommend this perk  to everyone , it s a beauty ,here in this example the ganker got ganked back instant ,he made a mistake by ganking to close to port

ps: the people who says otherwise have no experience yet with the perk and are just blabbing around, and don t see the pottention on the game play

Edited by Thonys
  • Like 2

I personally prefer another option, combined with one of yours.

Make the social perk only work if the initial attacker has the perk, (battle will be open for both sides tho).

Then probably decrease the time to 5-10 mins. 

Once they fix the def tag free escape ticket ok, until then no, right now chased guy is the one pressing attack first, not the attacker who is faster and tries to get a close tag to not see the enemy spawn miles away out of canons range ... 

• Like 1

Prater brings up a good and functional compromise to the "responsability" of having the perk suggesting that it becomes tied to the BR.

I like it.

no...... restrictions on br...no no

The Social Perk currently keeps battles open 30 minutes if the person who initiated the attack or was attacked has the social perk.

Should this be changed?  Right now, it allows either side to easily be ganked if friendlies are nearby.  This is a problem because of teleport and Open World Compression

I personally think it should be either 1.) removed or 2.) Keep Battles Open Until BR is relatively even (BR difference between the sides is no more than 10%).  If one side has more BR, no one can join their side.  I voted for this latter idea because I wouldn't mind testing it and I would have no problem if that perk is kept around.

TLDR  In my opinion.  If there is a time limit on the perk, it should be removed.  If we want the perk to stay, it should allow the side that is outmatched in BR to have players join until the BR is relatively close (10% difference or so).

no.... i dont like that ......... restrictions again ....

Edited by Thonys

Just make the perk cost 10 points and get over and done with it. End of story.

well if it is ten points for me .... i take it  :)

or a perk for pirates staying in bs for more then one hour ,also... 10 points  end of story.

Edited by Thonys
  • Like 1

I think same way and vote for it, but there is one BUT.

It's clear if we choose 2nd option, that perk should keep fight open, untill it become equal or at least close to equal, for attackers and defenders. But if we talk about ganker squad, it will be easily manipulated by choosing attacker. If you want to gank someone, man without perk will tag, if you feel, there will be resistance or countergank, you let guy with social to tag. I think it should affect group, not single man, but it means lot of rework needed.

Why? The player getting tagged may or may not have the perk and there is no way to know unless you've encountered them before (and as long as perks have unlimited reset, no way to know at all).

I personally think it should be removed entirely as fundamentally changing ROE with blind perks is just asking for endless grief, but if not then it should keep battle open until BR is near even and should be a 6 point perk so that it can not be used in conjunction with speed boosts.

• Like 3

hi captains

i voted for 30 minutes open 

just to give you a example

this morning i was sailing on my indiaman (trader) near a outpost and was almost at the harbor to dock

suddenly from behind there was a pirate who tagged me by surprise with a surprise (gank)

i entered battle and he was shooting sail to 70 % and later on he shot at the hull

i directly asked for help in national if there was some people who could help me

and all took about 4 minutes when some one responded

gave the coor and directions and 8 minutes later there where 2 captain who came to aid with some small ships (4 minutes + 5 min)

in the mean time i was at both sides 40%

the 2 captains who came in battle could not engage in a proper way so damage was done to my ship by the surpris and lost one side 

in the mean time after 15 minutes a frigate came in the game (he had to sail back to port and had to take a other vessel)

and finally arrived in the battle  (5 plus 15 minutes)

that last incoming  frigate turned the battle from a loss, to a flip of the battle 

the surprise came into heavy fire from the frigate 

at that time i was sinking 

and everything was on survival

the frigate shot the heavenly damaged surprise and captured him 

the battle was over and i could reach the free port quickly and saved my heavenly damaged trader ship

we all had a most acceleration battle time with a good working perk 

even the pirate  surprise must have had great fun  

but if we did not have that perk the battle would have bin doll, and not as much fun as we all experienced 

i see a great future in this 30 minute  perk ,and it would be a loss if it  went (you just need 30 minutes, this game is not a fast game)

its how you use it 

and if you dont  like it you dont have to take it

and i can recommend this perk  to everyone , it s a beauty ,here in this example the ganker got ganked back instant ,he made a mistake by ganking to close to port

ps: the people who says otherwise have no experience yet with the perk and are just blabbing around, and don t see the pottention on the game play

To be honest, this sounds horrible. :D

The pirate Surprise managed to start a battle with you out of surprise. Good job, well done. He earned his chance to make a lot of booty.

Also Surprise vs Indiaman seems like a very fair battle to me.

In the end your ship was just saved because you got help from others who went warp 7 and joined 9 respectively 20 minutes later (how many miles are this in open water?)

That's exactly why we have 2 min timers in the first place.

So he got nothing out of it and lost his ship. Ok, maybe fun (you have to ask him for that :) ) and xp/gold. But he didn't achieve his main goal.

I think 30 min are way too long. I favor a much shorter time like max 10 min and increased points for the perk. 

Edited by Cecil Selous
  • Like 8

well if it is ten points for me .... i take it  :)

or a perk for pirates staying in bs for more then one hour ,also... 10 points  end of story.

I'll take it. Actually make it 5 minutes, not 1 hour :) it should be enough to logoff and take a break.

hi captains

1 vs 1 is not a gank. In fact, your testimony perfectly illustrate how the social perk has wreck the 1 on 1 OW PVP.

You think it is normal that a player that had to get back to port to change ship can in turn enter a battle and tip it's balance?

Personally, I won't bother with open world PVP unless I'm in a group large enough to face those reinforcement, or if I'm in a ship fast enough to break the engagement when they show up (like a lynx or rattlesnake)

Edited by Serk
  • Like 5

Perks that change the way the basic game works have the potential to upset all balance (and are also terribly unrealistic for what that's worth). Please keep perk changes as minimal as possible and let player skill and intelligence govern.

Skill based game > Gear based game.

• Like 3

For me personally i would choose to let it stay in the game, the 30 minute timer is ok but i would add the option of the BR difference in favor of the defender or the one without the social perk

We all want some PvP action in OW, the normal 2 minute timer is just way to short to come an aid someone who had been ganked, sure if u are in an organized group the timer doesn't really matter but it happens that sometimes with bad wind or some other issues the battle closes just as u arrive and then u have just a couple of your force dealing with an OP opponent.

Had a social fight with spain at KW a couple days back and it was glorious, it brought me back to the old days of OW PvP (the one without all those fancy perks and timers) sure in that fight the spanish were over matched as we were all in 4th-2nd rates and they were in 5th-2nd rates so with the added option of the BR difference it would make it so that the fight stay somewhat balanced for both parties and its not going to be OP for one side.

Or, as it has been for me the last few days, gank or be ganked or don't log into the game because my pvp game of hunting for solo fights has been ruined.  I may get on tonight to play around with the gunboat, but I fear the days of hunting in the OW for a good pvp fight are over and in that case there is no reason to play the game.

• Like 4

I have read a lot about the term "gank" since playing this game and a 1v1 fight is not one of the definitions of a gank. What if you were sailing in a Snow or Cerb and he hit you with a Surprise or Frigate - gank? What if you had an AI fleet to fight him - gank?

In fact it is one of the basic features of the game - the lone privateer or pirate out hunting for enemy traders a common historical occurrence in the age of sail. You didn't get ganked the Surprise did.

I get the compromises for gameplay but having a player go into port and come back out to join a battle 20 minutes later rips a huge hole in the space time continuum! :wacko:

• Like 2

We wouldnt even have a perk like this if enough people didnt see a problem with a 2 min timer. Fun>realism. On that note i think 30 min is way too long but could make for some major fun around high traffic freetowns. I wouldn't get all worked up because its definitely going to be adjusted, if its not removed entirely.

Edited by Potemkin

I think it is clear that far more people have problems with longer timers than those who have problems with 2 minute timers.  I'm not sure how the game can be fun when people can join from outside your view range on the Open World or teleport and come out of port and join.  It is come in numbers or don't come at all.  Naval Action has gone back to the Zerg.  The Solo player is no more.  True piracy is no more.  Trader hunting is no more.  If I sink I sink because of mistakes I shouldn't have made.  Now if I go out, I have to expect everything to be a gank and there is no point in even engaging, because if the enemy gets my sails down, I can't escape if I am beating him and he has friends join 10 minutes later because he said on TS that I am kicking his butt and he needs help.

• Like 7

Cmon man im not saying i want 15 min timers, all im saying is that the less time people have to get to battles the less people get to participate right? 2 min timers only serve the cause of group ganking at the expense of large OW pvp fun, as rare as it has become..

Cmon man im not saying i want 15 min timers, all im saying is that the less time people have to get to battles the less people get to participate right? 2 min timers only serve the cause of group ganking at the expense of large OW pvp fun, as rare as it has become..

Longer timers mean more get to participate in a gank and we are back to everything being a gank.  We are back to squads spreading out over 600km waiting for the perfect person to gank and calling on TS the location of the battle.  With 2 minute timers, the gankers are forced to sail together and the only way you can get ganked is if you are royally screwing up by not paying attention.

• Like 6