Game-Labs Forum

What's in a name? The names of captains in Naval Action

My question/example regarding this:

Captain Dick de Cock.

That is a valid and accurate name in the Dutch Language..

No problem.

As long as it is used in the Dutch nation and not by any other faction (even not pirates).

Another example...being non-British, I did not know that a "spotted dick" is...a pudding !

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spotted_dick

One reason, I play pirates.

No "real" titles, ranks, proper Lord and all this....

I have all this in real life.

Pirates should be able to choose nearly every (non-offending) name.

I prefer others to be limited and restricted, gives me more feel of "freedom".

So "Hodo", come join the pirates !

Edited by Wilson09

The game is not a historical simulation, drawing broadly from history and using plenty of game logic. Even if it were, the players are not part of that historical simulation unless they choose to be.

There are plenty of variations on Michiel De Ruyter sailing in Dutch waters - they chose historical names. The OP chose a historical name and wants the game to not just support that choice, but enforce it for others. Until a whole bunch of players who didn't choose historical names say they'd agree to change their names, which seems quite unlikely, there's not much point to this idea.

• Like 3

easiest solution:

Game can offer a name "generator" at the beginning. Like me, I started as Dutch and had have no problem to click 2-3 times on

"generate Dutch cpt. name" at the beinning until I agree to something nice.

It is widely used in the gaming world.

Most player lack creativity or are lazy and won´t look up names in books.

Secondly, you can do both, name generator and free naming choice.

This certainly, would help a lot.

• Like 1

Ummmmm....  

Is there a polite way for me to say that I find this idea silly?

My grandfather's name is clearly "historical", but according to the OP would be not allowed?

I have a hard time believing anyone's game is going to be ruined by a few people who come up with jackwagon-type names.  

I've certainly started something with this idea of mine to have everyone conform to a rule of historical naming. I suppose there are reasons for not doing so, and these have been expressed above. I, too, paradoxically, would not like to be told that I should follow some rule or other even if quite reasonable, as I thought mine would be. We wargamers are basically an individualist lot, I'm sure.

So, respecting most of your views, I would like to say that, some regulation is required, although it might be a much broader one that I have suggested. For example, someone whose grandfather was in the Navy might want to use that name and that could be allowed. Someone else might want to use a fictional figure like Horatio Hornblower or Elias Hoseson or Jack Aubrey or even Rifleman Sharpe. A name generator has been suggested and that, too, seems a worthwhile idea.

Certainly, the current 'animal crackers in my soup', uncontrolled, unbuttoned anarchy of names, some of which are clearly offensive and chosen for that reason, does not work as an attraction.

Edited by Lannes

Hethwill Eskeath is a fictional historical name hailing from long years of tabletop wargaming. Has a full career well documented on our club and rose through the ranks of lead, white metal and buckets of die. Go figure :o

• Like 3

At first i thought this thread was going to be about your name and why you choose it plus it's meaning/whereabouts (Perhaps another thread?) well darn my pearls... i am upset it is about trying to enforce historical names

Who is to say what is historical or not, not every name was written down in history.... Heck i bet there were some right nicknames for people below deck so if Big titted William a big bloke from a poor family somehow becomes a captain why cant he keep his name! I'd follow that guy to the depths! Arhar!

However ones which purposely insult other people should be looked at, Most are harmless fun. I do also think numbers should be removed from names as that's my only gripe

(Here comes 69Jack69 on his 1st rate, *shiver me timbers* you can tell he gets alot of action *wink*) 

Edited by Bloody Hound

Would kinda like a Dutch mod to make a call considering my nickname. Only slightly worried, but still. It's kind of my geuzennaam.

I don't see how we can discuss this on an international forum, the mods would be throwing out warning points left and right. :D

So you really are a Kloothommel and since you claim it as a geuzennaam, you have legally asserted not to be offended. :P

• Like 1

The DEVS ought to make a rule that only HISTORICAL naval names must be used.

I think that is a horrible idea. Sorry but many players like to use a name they already are known as in other games. For example I have some friends that I find in many other games simply by searching their name and bam there they are. They use the same name and are easy to find.

Forcing a naming scheme is a bad plan for the community too. Limiting profanity or offensive names would be a good idea though.

Like seeing a name on top of a ship have any sense at all.

Would be much better if in OW you just seee [CLANTAG]Bellona     

Nay !

Captain's name is what we had always.

If anything is the clantag that would have to go away.

• Like 1

Well my Naval Action game name is the name of the character in the film of the same name Billy Budd. This film was made in 1962 and although it was filmed in monocrome, it is a brilliant film. You can get it on DVD from Amazon Uk. here is the link. Well worth buying if you have never seen it.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Starring-Robert-Ustinov-Melvyn-Douglas/dp/B0043FTXCE/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1471226444&sr=8-2&keywords=billy+budd+dvd

• Like 1