Game-Labs Forum

Open world speeds need to be sped up 2-3 times what they are now.

Naval Action open world speed needs to be x3 what it is now in my opinion. The reason for this is that I simply don't have the gaming time to sail against the wind for 30minutes and back for potentially another 30minutes of my 1-2hrs gaming a night. I understand that having to sail to a mission rather than just entering one from port is probably meant to get people sailing in the open world to keep it active. But real life prevents me from doing so especially on a week night. This in turn has meant some of my friends have left the game calling it a time waster.
Thus I don't care how silly it looks, it cannot look sillier than it does now, I would be hopeful that speeding up the open world will encourage more people to jump on for the quick battle and populate the world.
Even rarer is pvp that actually ends in a battle. I would propose that this is fixed by having a special PVP crossed swords just outside port that allowed people from any nation to join vs each other with almost no sailing and no durability loss. This would show how many people were in the queue to people in the open world and allow groups to stay together on the same side in the queue. The ones started in port don't seem to be populated and  are hard to understand.

• Like 3

alternatively

world should shrink 4 times and speeds can be then lowered 2x

but shrinking the world will hide some of the beauty and epicness

Personally i think the world should not be shrunk, i think at least a testing of the speed increase by 2 or 3x would be something id like to see. While personally i used to say that the speed was perfect, looking at reviews and from personall experiance, i have to agree time spent in open world sailing is a bit too much

(I especially noticed it while sailing from WS to Bermuda, granted it is a very long distance but i really felt the distance could be lowered or speed sped up somewhat)

• Like 2

I understand the epicness of the world especially for exploration. I am primarily talking about good pvp and pve within a reasonable time. I guess I want world of warships style instant action during the week and epic open world during the weekend.

If you shrunk the world are you saying we could haabe battle instances in the open world without having loading timesl . As in that would solve all of his bank and anti gsnk stuff

Warp mode when no other players or NPCs are visible?

The screen can change to an Indiana Jones-style map while your ship sails a straight line at 4x speed. You drop out of warp when other ships are near. Doesn't work near land, either.

• Like 4

But I think shrinking the world may upset some unless you do the world in instances instead of the battles? But that would separate the population and in effect because of even slower open world speeds in those instances make it very hard to find anybody and still increase the time to do everything within that smaller world. I still think just speeding up the entire open world may be better. But if it does look silly perhaps just rationalising the bobbing may have to be enough. But if most people don't mind the travel times then I will just have to play on the weekend only when i have more time.when

Warp mode when no other players or NPCs are visible?

The screen can change to an Indiana Jones-style map while your ship sails a straight line at 4x speed. You drop out of warp when other ships are near. Doesn't work near land, either.

or perhaps just no battles are around.

otherwise those with limited time near home port will never be out of sight of a ship and never warp.

i wouldent mind a 2x speed boost cuz not everyone has 5 to 6 hours to sail from cton to plymoth every time even if it was a temp speed up i would not mind or a world shrinker but as the admin said it would hide some of the epicness

How about instead of having sail boats running around at 130km+ just make the missions closer to each other ? PvP should already become more centralized with the new hostility mechanics so you will just need to sail and setup and outpost near a hotspot in regards of getting some PvP action fast. The only other thing would be PVE and you can always reduce the distance the missions spawn from you.

• Like 1

Not agree.

• We will have a problem with too fast reinforcsements in fights.
  • Problem with privateer gameplay, because traders trafic will move too fast.
  • Problem wth tagging system and tag timer.
  • Decision of the attack should be made too quickly, because everything happens too fast
  • Problem for fleets with maneuvers in OW
  • and more
  • Like 1

I think the scale of the landscape compared to the ships is actually to small :D So please don't even think about of scaling it down. I am also fine with how it is now. I never saw the various tested travel speeds so I can't say anything about it and how it will look. But like Dekillos said. With a 3x faster sailing speed, we would need battle join timers of 40 seconds. I don't want to see the uproar about that one :D

• Like 3

I personally like the map/OW/etc. as it is now.

How about a compromise, where distances to certain events are reduced, thereby reducing the overall time commitment? That wouldn't require adjusting the map or recoding OW acceleration.

For instance, reduce the distance to fleet missions. It's just happened with the shipwrecks.

It might help casual players get a little more action without having to sail against the wind.

I can't imagine that it would really affect PvP. If I want PvP, I can find it pretty easily. Unless, of course, you're looking to jump primarily-PvE players.

Edited by Obi-Heed Kenobi
  • Like 3

I really hope the devs are finally realizing what myself and others said long ago.

No matter how fast you make the speed, no matter how fast teleports are, no matter how easy you make it to get to max level, no matter how many shiny toys you give as rewards just for sailing in a game abut sailing, and no matter how much you dumb this game down the exact same tiny % will say MORE MORE MORE MORE and then quit anyways just like they have so far.

Youre getting closer and closer to making potbs 2.0 and im pretty sure it failed.

Edited by Mrdoomed
  • Like 11

I don't know.. has anyone tested the distance traveled vs the current speed, vs the time in game.  Basically a Distance over Time test.

Yes at the opening of the OW last summer there was a lot of discussion about ship speed, time compression and map size. There were also graphics issues with the ships interacting with the water at higher speeds - your Lynx looked more like a speed boat on the water, more so than it does now!

i wouldent mind a 2x speed boost cuz not everyone has 5 to 6 hours to sail from cton to plymoth every time even if it was a temp speed up i would not mind or a world shrinker but as the admin said it would hide some of the epicness

\Why are you sailing from Plymouth to Charleston?

I don't know.. has anyone tested the distance traveled vs the current speed, vs the time in game.  Basically a Distance over Time test.

First iteration that was open to moderators had speeds of like 300 knots.

• Like 1

What about re-scale world - make map twice smaller and keep current speed? Too much coding?

A lot of the map wouldn't work anymore.  Islands would disappear.  Coasts would lose any complexity.  Straights would become un-navigable, or absurd choke points.  Better to have a reduced-size fantasy map than to further downscale current map, resulting in absurd looking "toy" scale Caribbean that wouldn't translate into battle instances.

But I think this is a non-issue.  Distances and speeds are good for PvP maneuver, strategy, evasion, land in battles, etc.  Only problem is "realistic" starting positions of some nations consigns them to distant corners, at least for a time at beginning.

Tiny violins for people sailing out to PvE missions over and over and over again deep in friendly territory.

• Like 1

I really hope the devs are finally realizing what myself and others said long ago.

No matter how fast you make the speed, no matter how fast teleports are, no matter how easy you make it to get to max level, no matter how many shiny toys you give as rewards just for sailing in a game abut sailing, and no matter how much you dumb this game down the exact same tiny % will say MORE MORE MORE MORE and then quit anyways just like they have so far.

Youre getting closer and closer to making potbs 2.0 and im pretty sure it failed.

one one potbs and its dying mate devs on that are to little to late however with the way you guys want the game you are tryin to make it like a uncharted waters 2.0

more so charleston to plymoth actualy and why was i doing it? because i wanted to have a ship away from all the fleeters of cton so i could say hunt traders or go do fleet mission solos with out the bugging of do you wanna fleet that and you never know what ya will find in the auction house of a far away port eh

Isnt allways funny to hear these cry baby stories of havig to sail from Mexico to kidds harbor or from Charleston to Columbia all in one day. Its a bs argument made by kids and try hards that are trying to make everything into a macro they can install and just hack and slash thier ways to the top .

Its all a bunch of garbage that has consistently made things worse rather than better every time someo e listens to the threats and usually causes more problems ( ganks, zerks, gangbangs or whatever, than it solves and then they quit anyways.

one one potbs and its dying mate devs on that are to little to late however with the way you guys want the game you are tryin to make it like a uncharted waters 2.0

more so charleston to plymoth actualy and why was i doing it? because i wanted to have a ship away from all the fleeters of cton so i could say hunt traders or go do fleet mission solos with out the bugging of do you wanna fleet that and you never know what ya will find in the auction house of a far away port eh

Huh?

Its all a bunch of garbage that has consistently made things worse rather than better every time someo e listens to the threats and usually causes more problems ( ganks, zerks, gangbangs or whatever, than it solves and then they quit anyways.

Huh?

but dont you agree that if we had more equal battles more often on the OW it would be better?

• Like 5