Game-Labs Forum

Patch 9.9 - Officers, Fishing, Provisions and other things

admin

Thanks for the work dev's! I have been playing since January on pvp2 for Britain/Spain and have 1000 hours of in game time. I made a character on pvp1 when the talk of a server merge started. I have been finding it very difficult to find information on the actual merge and if it is going to happen. I realize a lot of players have their opinions about the merge on the forums but I am mainly interested in what the developers say will or will not happen. If you have decided not to do a merge then I would appreciate if that information could be given to the testers of this alpha because we have had very little information on it from the dev's. I realize that maybe for a couple nations on pvp2 there are enough players to have a community and economy but with the smaller nations there are only a handful of players left. Even if there is no merge it would be great if I could have my assets as redeemable (ships, known blueprints, and upgrades) so even if I stay on pvp2 I can at least pick a new nation with people to play with. Right now the option's I have are going pirate(would rather not) or starting over from scratch. I know you are preoccupied with developing this game and any merge will take time away from other things. Doing fleet missions alone, having nobody in nation chat and not being able to do port battles has really killed the enjoyment of this game for me. These are not problems with your development, I love the game Naval Action, it is meant to be played with other's and entire clans deciding to switch servers has left a few of us stranded.
Thanks for your work!
-Crunch

Come on people...   

This is the STRATEGY part of this game.   In MANY games, you have to move resources/troops around and it takes time.  

The big map is PLUS in this game...  

That being said, I'd be fine with a ship delivery system that was EXTREMELY expensive and SLOW.

I'm thinking along the lines of 2 REAL days to get a ship delivered the length of the map.  In my mind, it throws a bone to people with less play time and still doesnt allow for insta-replacement fleets.

i suggested a different system as well with risks of loosing your ship in the process and it costing gold/crew and so on. Its not like i want to keep the current "send to outpost" thing, thats hoenstly kinda crappy and i consider it a placeholder.

NO option to send a ship somehwere is just as bad though, going to the other extreme. And it will make people drop the game because the dull part of the game would take up too much time.

• Like 2

That is a bad idea imo, i would like to have at least the option to switch the officer off. I will not take a cheap ship and hunt pirates just for fun without the fear of loosing my high-leveld officer. 

Nelson did not have a huge ammount of mediocre and disposable ships that wont sell under his command.

No ship should be free to use as a suicide vessel against other players (who will lose officers) without consequence.

• Like 3

No ship should be free to use as a suicide vessel against other players (who will lose officers) without consequence.

So much this. True to form and credible from the historical point of view.

Need AI fireships ;)

• Like 1

Third, I get you wanted to implement lives for an officer, but this is going to cause people to PvP even less as nobody is willing to lose their high level officers (depending on how long they take to level up ofcourse)

You can surrender instead of intentionally sinking or blowing up as everyone does currently.

You can surrender instead of intentionally sinking or blowing up as everyone does currently.

it also solves kill farming partially for future hostility levels

ship losses will lose valuable officers

So much this. True to form and credible from the historical point of view.

Need AI fireships ;)

Yeah, from a historical point of view it was very unlikely that they build 6 Fir-Constis and they all got Stiffness. What should i do with the ships i don't "need" (don't want to waste perm upgrades on) and that don't get sold. 

It is also not historical accurate that a ship just gets deleted after 9 days if no one bought it, 

The consequence is that i lose a dura. It is not a "suicide vessel". 

We are talking about exceptional constis here, they take a while to build. 

Edited by Jonnydread

I seem to be unable to add any ship to my fleet as long as it has upgrades and/or cannons equipped. Still, the ship needs full crew .  Does this mean my fleet gets some random upgrades/guns ? 

This is a bit weird, because why would I wish to destroy permanent upgrades just to add a ship to my fleet ??

Also this removes what I actually had figured to be the fun in playing with a fleet: Tuning fleet ships upgrades and armament.

Besides, its unfair. Example: 5% extra crew from crewspace is okay for a fleet ship, but extra crew from hammocks isn't ?

Yes, some of these officer perks are absurd, OP and game-breaking, and combined with stacking with physical upgrades, possibly finally convert game from player-skill-based to gear-based (ships with 50% less reload, 3kn+ speed bonuses, etc.). Also, you in the past said you would not add faction-based combat bonuses as you wanted combat outcomes to rest on player skill not faction choice.

one could argue that a determined and well trained crew (historically) could achieve a 3 to 1 reload bonus and sail set up bonus (british gunnery training could get even bigger result)

but some of the bonuses could be high or low - its too early to tell

• Like 1

• Determined defender – Officer knows how to prepare the organized defence on boarding. Your ship can only be boarded if the attacker has 40% higher crew. It also gives you the option to use the defend command for free (during boarding) 
  • Coward – Officer loves to run from battle and knows how to do it. Exit timer is 2x shorter

Ok, it's very clear now that this game is not about PvP anymore, and I m only mentionning thoses 2 perks.

A usefull concept is called "nuance". It means if you think something is too much, you may carefully reorient mechanics to regulate it. Example, if you want to make things harder for PvP aggressors, you may add those officers:

-Determined defender – Gives you the option to use the defend command for free (during boarding) (still interessting and without that meaningless crew ratio)

-Coward – Officer loves to run from battle and knows how to do it. Exit timer is 18% shorter (NOT 50% !!!)

Waiting for correction asap, I will probably go fishing simulator 2016... No, just kidding, let's be honnest, this feature is "fun" the firsts 10 minutes.

• Like 2

the game will rather "fail" when it takes hours to get anywhere near the action. There has to be some sort of system to get ships to the outposts you own without sailing every single one there, otherwise only the really hardcore players with lots of time on their hand will stick to the game. now imagine the population of the server...

When the game had 4 hour teleport and missions far from port worth smaller xp there was thousands of plays. The game is now teleport everywhere all day, easy missions close to base wirth bug xp, game now has dozens of players.

Yup youre right the easier and faster paced it gets the more popular. ...oh wait.

• Like 5

When the game had 4 hour teleport and missions far from port worth smaller xp there was thousands of plays. The game is now teleport everywhere all day, easy missions close to base wirth bug xp, game now has dozens of players.

Yup youre right the easier and faster paced it gets the more popular. ...oh wait.

and thats totally not about people quitting the game after the initial hype. nope you're of course totally right...oh wait.

Well if sending ships is getting rid off, we will see where it leads. I expect pre-Early Access population in that case. Which would be really sad

Edited by Sharden

one could argue that a determined and well trained crew (historically) could achieve a 3 to 1 reload bonus and sail set up bonus (british gunnery training could get even bigger result)

Sure, and those crews won combat against disadvantaged crews with tactics and decisions by the captain in battle making very little difference in the outcome. The interesting (from our perspective) fights were the one where factors like ship strength and reload were more evenly matched and the captains had to outwit their opponents. Which should NA be about? Historical determinism (national bonuses), upgrades and PvE crew XP farming decide outcomes, or former factors are mostly equalized (with penalties off-setting bonuses, so choices are about trade-offs rather than raw advantage) and player skill as captain is dominant factor?

Maybe if player has achieved 3 to 1 advantage with gear, other player should just be forced to immediately surrender, as that would be much more historical.

This historically well trained crew in the game translates to another must-have module/officer or grinding some element that represents that. Game is already quite gear-based, can we stay skill-based instead of equipment?

Modules with added officers need a serious review...it should be a choice between different options not choice between the must-have winmods.

• Like 1

That's because lots of crews were just terrible.

Everyone starts with the crew of the Shannon in this game, so making them even better is problematic.

• Like 5

I like many of the changes and am eager to test the new dynamics.  That said:

• Please keep in mind that not all players have enormous amounts of time to play the game (and thus gather resources) - though we did pay for the game...  This game has interesting aspects that already make it a huge time sink as it is - and some of these new changes may not help lighten that burden.
  • While I think it is correct to avoid having OP ships, I prefer more realistic sailing models, and think that ships should play different roles.  By ever tweaking down the fast ships, and tweaking up the slow ships... we may just end up having the same ship of different sizes and color.  Granted, these variances may become more apparent when weather conditions in game (wind, wave strength/direction/size variability) actually come into play.
  • Like 1