Game-Labs Forum

Crew management update - discussion

Continuing the discussion started here

http://forum.game-labs.net/index.php?/topic/13601-19-mln-vs-60-thousand-the-cost-of-crew-moderated/

We would like to describe the forthcoming change to the crew system in Naval Action

Crew will have to be hired for certain price for the sailor

Crew will be lost if you sink or blow up

Crew will become persistent between battles

Players will be provided with 40 free sailors at the start of the game which cannot be lost (to support new players), this number could go up with rank up to a certain limit

Crew will be available for hire in all ports that you can enter

Crew will have to be assigned to ships that you capture to be able to use them

Ships that you capture will have to have crew to be transported back to port

There will be only two options for the ship you capture:

• Add to fleet (assigning crew)
  • Sink

Ships will have minimum possible crew - you won't be able to add a ship to fleet or transfer yourself to you if your crew is lower than that ship minimum for sailing

Examples of how the system works

1) If you captured a Trincomalee in a Constitution you will have to assign crew to Trincomalee and sail back under crewed in both ships. Once you arrive to port you will hire the crew again. 

2) If your group lost a good amount of crew during heavy battle - you become more vulnerable for the next battle

3) You sail a cutter and your friend captures a Santisima for you. If you claim it you will not be able to sail a Santisima if its minimum crew is above 40. You will have to sink her.

What this means for you

• This means that fleets could come back, but they will be based on your crew that you can manage and you will actually have to hire that crew paying for them 
  • This means that ship capture could come back (with limitations)
  • This also means that ships no longer will be teleported to outposts and players will have to get their captures to ports themselves
  • This also means that maintenance for heavy ships will go up dramatically as it should be
  • This also means that losing a first rate will cost you

Discuss

• Like 45

What this means for you

• This means that fleets could come back, but they will be based on your crew that you can manage and you will actually have to hire that crew paying for them 
  • This means that ship capture could come back (with limitations)
  • This also means that ships no longer will be teleported to outposts and players will have to get their captures to ports themselves

+1. Fleets, ship capture with limitations and no TP for captured ships would be 3 great features !!!

Hired crew, crew cost and shared crew between your fleet/ship+capture ship  too.

Can you specify ''Crew will become persistent between battles'':
Basically after finishing a battle you need to go back to nearest friendly port/free town to replenish crew?

Can you not press crew from enemy ship to yours upon capture to replenish ?

• Like 3

This also means that ships no longer will be teleported to outposts and players will have to get their captures to ports themselves

Against this as sailing ships to outposts can take too much time, especially for casual players.

This will probably reduce PVP

Question,

So if you sink or explode you will still have the 40 free crew that can't be lost?

• Like 1

Why even capture ships anymore.... do I really want that 20k that badly to have to sail from the current operational area to the nearest friendly port just to dump it? Might as well just rake their gun decks with ball and give them the alternative incentive to burn and explode to collect max db and xp in one instantaneous fire ball.

• Like 1

Discuss

Give us an option to pay gold to send a ship to another outpost (and add a delivery time). I don't want to have to play port sail all the time.

Without this, the game will become capital PvE fleets all the time very quickly (who wants to spend 1 hr sailing somewhere to get a ship there for PBs?) With production buildings, you only need a few ports now to survive as a nation.

Edited by isaac_j_smith
  • Like 7

I understand that fleets have to come back in a way. But I am against that these ship are able to fight. They should run like traders otherwise fleets are a must have again. I really enjoy the pvp fights and the time without them.

• Like 9

1) If you captured a Trincomalee in a Constitution you will have to assign crew to Trincomalee and sail back under crewed in both ships. Once you arrive to port you will hire the crew again. 

2) If your group lost a good amount of crew during heavy battle - you become more vulnerable for the next battle

3) You sail a cutter and your friend captures a Santisima for you. If you claim it you will not be able to sail a Santisima if its minimum crew is above 40. You will have to sink her.

1+2.

It will reduce PvP. 

Gank fleets will be more effective: 

- EG. Fight happens on OW. One team gets reinforcements to wait outside battle - When the winning team gets out of battle they have no chance due to Crew loss. 

The reason why crew is replenished after battle atm is so we can PvP.

Still, it sounds interesting!. 

3. Minimum crew on a ship would be what? Enough to man the sails? (Like, 50% of max people on Sail?) 

- EG; Santi needs 200 crew to fully man Sails. Minimum Crew will be 100? 

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

In general, it sounds interesting but i'm afraid it might reduce PvP even more and that it might make it so after every battle, you have to sit in battle screen for 30-60 minutes to make sure the enemy "gank" fleet is gone. 

As you can hear, i have my concerns even though it sounds cool! :) 

• Like 8

Why even capture ships anymore.... do I really want that 20k that badly to have to sail from the current operational area to the nearest friendly port just to dump it? Might as well just rake their gun decks with ball and give them the alternative incentive to burn and explode to collect max db and xp in one instantaneous fire ball.

Is this game just about earning as much XP/gold as possible ?

A matter of choice.

• Like 2

Can you specify ''Crew will become persistent between battles'':

Basically after finishing a battle you need to go back to nearest friendly port/free town to replenish crew?

Can you not press crew from enemy ship to yours upon capture to replenish ?

The enemy crew left after boarding will become yours. 

Also medical kits and maybe doctors.

• Like 10

Sounds interesting but it will make less pvp to happen as you'll be sailing all the time back to a port to refill your crew (and you'll more money/farm because of this) and also more ganks will happen as after every fight your grp will be undercrewed :/

Is this game just about earning as much XP/gold as possible ?

A matter of choice.

Choice to have to haul back a prize that would be worth a similar amount to just letting them explode and get a similar amount of money from the damage done?

• Like 1

There will be only two options for the ship you capture:

• Add to fleet (assigning crew)
  • Sink

No more admiralty capture prizes planned? Or they will be available once you arrive back to port?

Will you get your crew back for free or you will have to pay for them again?

I don't think i have seen a single change in this game after which so called "PvP crew" didn't instantly start whining.

If you "PvP" that much better be good and not lose fights, or lose fights and sail in smaller ships until you get better.

Oh and, you know, small ships can and still are fun to play with!

• Like 7

I love the whole crew thing and that crew will become finally a valuable asset for all captains. Absolutely +1 about the idea of a doctor capable to recover an amount of crew losses. I don't like fleets coming back because I think that they can be a potential obstacle to PVP (so I'd prefer to limit them to a pure PVE environment). My only concern about all these changes is that game could become even more "time consuming" for casual players. We will spend much more time managing our crew, mantaining our ships, sailing back to ports with our ships/captures, so having definitely less time to play the game. Please keep Teleports at least, because we need some features to allow us to save a little bit of time to play the game. However I'm really excited about these changes and eager to test them :) .

• Like 2

- EG. Fight happens on OW. One team gets reinforcements to wait outside battle - When the winning team gets out of battle they have no chance due to Crew loss. 

The reason why crew is replenished after battle atm is so we can PvP.

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

In general, it sounds interesting but i'm afraid it might reduce PvP even more and that it might make it so after every battle, you have to sit in battle screen for 30-60 minutes to make sure the enemy "gank" fleet is gone. 

As you can hear, i have my concerns even though it sounds cool! :)

Ye, hope devs have an answer cause TS is alrdy mandatory.. : /

Capping NPC / 1 dura ships except for SOLs should be a pirate thing.. Don't care what pirates cap as long as it is pvp though.. If there's a reason for nats to do the same please speak up.. 

I see the reasoning of risk and reward behind it the whole idea though which shouldn't be underestimated.. It's a further layer of tactical depth..

Edited by BACk ALLEY ShENANiGANS

The enemy crew left after boarding will become yours. 

Also medical kits and maybe doctors.

Give players ability to trade crew with teammates after battle is over. 

-those who did not loose crew can share sailors with those who need them balancing whole fleet before popping outside and possibly facing another wave of enemy ships. Medkits and Officer Doctors is a must.  

• Like 4

I don't think i have seen a single change in this game after which so called "PvP crew" didn't instantly start whining.

If you "PvP" that much better be good and not lose fights, or lose fights and sail in smaller ships until you get better.

Oh and, you know, small ships can and still are fun to play with!

I like PVP but am a noob.:) I'd rather try in a store bought junky surprise than a yacht. Because there are so many better players out there, as they have more time and experience with PVP, this suggestion seems like I will be back to my yacht whereas right now I'm starting to get used to bigger ships. As a noob, I feel this will deter players like me who are trying to learn.

• Like 1