Game-Labs Forum

Hotfix 9.72

admin

Could someone explain to me why there is such a focus on PVE (AI) and not PVP in OW pvp-server? As I see it, AI should be something lesser and remoter than pvp on such a server. I love playing against humans as they represent a bigger challenge and more fun. Be it here or in other games. If the OW on pvp server enhanced the pvp experience and left out other options plp would get what they where looking for. Now its like the the PvP is build up for players that eventually like PvE more. (No ganking, lots af AI, etc. ). Imagine that battling other players would be the easiest and most rewarding thing to do instead of harvesting AI-ships? 

As I see it this development makes players lazy. Its always easier to grind some AI points up than looking for a real challenge. 

Please enlighten me!

Edited by fox2run

Look, i give up, devs are going to do whatever they like, only tool we have to make them rethink what they are going is stop playing, thing which i am doing right now. Like that maybe they can forget their stubborness and just by looking at the porcentaje of people complainig change whats wrong. There will be always 5-7 people ok or even liking the AI(which i bet all have already 3rd rates) but you have to listen to the other 25-30 players, you cant just read what you like.

• Like 3

It could be changed by tweaking the xp and gold system. If Im rewarded x-tra for being outnumbered, if I dont loose my most valuable ships but instead loosing other stuff like ranks when Im sunk etc? It must be possible, I think.

Look for games like Coh2, Red Orchestra 2 etc. where the loosers are winners no matter how they fare. Right now you risk loosing too much in a battle. So plp flee or hide in ports. Or whines or doing AI only.

Edited by fox2run

Could someone explain to me why there is such a focus on PVE (AI) and not PVP in OW pvp-server?

That's simple as that : it is the first time that the focus is on PvE with a more or less dedicated Admin's post : http://forum.game-labs.net/index.php?/topic/13233-ai-shootingdamageleaks-feedback-moderated/ even though NA devs have already worked on PvE with content in previous patches and a dedicated PvE server.

There's a focus because Priority polls showed PvE was one of the priority of the community.

However, devs have also shown that PvP has been, is and will be at the heart of NA development.

• Like 1

Several bugs for NPC behavior fixed

Said by you on 9.7 patch notes, im sure this is refered to increasing AI accuracy. AI is not challenging. Its a terminator right now, you are basically killing yourself if you take a mission your own lvl

So if your level mission is too tough do a lower level mission, I love how they added the ability to do lower level missions.

• Like 6

we never said its a bug with the AI

ai is challenging. 

I like this way. Some of my friends likes it too. It is actually more fun and dangerous when they come close*.

* Still there are still some problems with the AI like it does absolutely not want to use his canons or engage you at long range and will always come close to fire. This is predictable and make me sail in endless circles freely farming (sails then wathever) him without any risk, even the big ones (got a 2nd rate without being really fired upon at all with two surprises that way).

For the precision problem, actually at mid range the AI fire like almost all his canons balls in the water or miss very often. It is happening only to me or you are all doing carronades fights out there?
Edited by Fuhajins of Autumn

I have what is to me at least is a very important question regarding the BP drops.

I currently have almost all BP's on the PVP1 server (lvl 50 craft), Recently I have set up an op on the PVE server no BP's are dropping for me there. Is this just RNG or is it because I already have these BP's on the PVP1 and hence they are now considered "Known" for my account?

Great for casual gamers, training and players who just want easy missions and relaxing.  

Isnt the PVE server for this? Or maybe there could be AI-mssions outside OW... So you could have an instant AI-mission in a protected environment without those terrible pvp-enemies?

OK - this is the golden solution:

StartMenu:

1. PvP Server (only players)

2: PvE Server (no pvp - but missions etc.)

The character remains the same. And you can switch after the mood you are in. However shipbuildings, ships etc. cannot be switched between the 2 OWs. How about that? 

In that way you can enhance the experience in both worlds without disappointin any. You could develop great PvP and great AI PvE. For players that wants to level up in a safe way could do that in peace AND use their rank (but nothing else) in both worlds. Be it shipbuilding and/or fighting ranks.

The big issue right now is that you try to connect two different games and risk to disappoint all. Split them up and make all happy! 

Edited by fox2run

Look, i give up, devs are going to do whatever they like, only tool we have to make them rethink what they are going is stop playing, thing which i am doing right now. Like that maybe they can forget their stubborness and just by looking at the porcentaje of people complainig change whats wrong. There will be always 5-7 people ok or even liking the AI(which i bet all have already 3rd rates) but you have to listen to the other 25-30 players, you cant just read what you like.

If I say that current AI is fine, it is because on my standpoint of veteran tester, current AI is really, really easy. To be honest. Just my experience.

That's why I think AI is great, that is challenging, for an average player, that is someone who knows roughly how to tack, fire, manage crew (...)

And that's a lot of required skills !

Changes are sometimes hard to accept especially when they provide more challenge.

But more challenges are rewarding when overcome.

• Like 1

Isnt the PVE server for this? Or maybe there could be AI-mssions outside OW... So you could have an instant AI-mission in a protected environment without those terrible pvp-enemies?

I don't get what you are saying? If someone is afraid of getting attacked on the way to their mission, then do go play on the PVE server.

Edited by Anne Wildcat
  • Like 1

And now I undestand why they cancelled IA reinforcement: IA reinforcements used to be a joke, but think about all the wannabe uberpro-gankers facing THIS kind of IA reinforcement.

Edited by Henry d'Esterre Darby
Removed moderated content.

i am fine if you want to keep the ai the way they but then they need to act like players also when 70% of their sails are gone they cant out run you

when 50% of their crew is dead they cant do much

and take all the upgrades off the ai also as most players do not even have blue upgrades to use

i am all for good ai but level the playing field ai are shooting at over 80% acc now no player can do that except at very close range

your game is bleeding players dont make it harder for new players to quit

* Choose a lower-tier mission

* Bring a friend or two to help

* Improve your tactics, since clearly not EVERYONE is being sunk by AI

* Fight PvP if you think AI is too tough

So many options instead of complaining on the forums.  YES, the fact that AI can seem to turn effectively with only a spritsail left is annoying.  YES, their re-load times is phenomenal.  However, you should just assume they are exceptional ships with exceptional mods. 

Also, you could try the duel room in the meantime if you are losing too many duras.

For once, I'm not trying to be a wise ass...  

• Like 3

I found that pre the 9.7 patch I became lazy.  Against AI I would sail straight at them and then go side to side and did not care if half my shots missed.  Now though, every shot counts.  This is good!  It makes me better and wakes me up.

Just want to say great job to the dev team.  2 quick hot fixes to address the actual problems.  Also community if the AI is too strong the devs will fix it as this is a test to see what is optimal and will create the best game experience.  Early Access and all.

• Like 6

I don't get what you are saying? If someone is afraid of getting attacked on the way to their mission, then do go play on the PVE server.

Maybe. But now we have no pvp server. We have two PvE servers where PvP players get accused for disturbing others around them when they try to get into a fight. It just doesn't work at all. IMHO.

• Like 2

I'm totally against the AI changes in the latest patch. But lets be clear, its not because 'its more challenging' - the complaint is that it feels totally unrealistic. 3rd rates should not be getting challenged and nearly loosing to low level AI ships.

A challenge should be PVP play. A challenge should be taking on NPC is the same or higher level ships. It is the rapid move away in one patch from what most clearly felt was a fair and realistic battle mechanic to one that is un-realistic. The AI could have been "tweaked" up but this change, whatever was done, has had a huge impact on NPC battles.

Furthermore the motive for the change was also not clear. It appears to have been in reaction to the complaints about 'the grind' which has also resulted in the XP Level system being significantly altered. I appreciate this was one approach to helping the grind. However, the significant lack of mission type/content was another and would certainly not have resulted in this level of dis-satisfaction.

I have gone from totally addicted to extremely dis-interested by the excessive changes implanted in this latest patch. Was the game really in such a bad state to warrant this level of changes to core areas?

It would be great to hear from the Devs, if the AI changes were under review given the feedback. However, the 'impression' is that this is how it should have been anyway and its not under review. A change in this stance may change the tone and approach on this issue from players.

Edited by Carljcharles
  • Like 4

Well if the Dev's look at the online time of individual players they will see quite few of us are no longer playing but to accomplish trade tasks and then logging off. I will not risk thoroughly expensive ships because the Dev Team is being too stubborn to see reason, challenging is one thing insane risk is not and catering to the Fanboys isn't listening to your player base. I understand we are in testing but that doesn't mean people are willing to throw caution to the winds without sufficient throwaway ships to test with. Bring back capable AI for player use, make the AI abilities somewhat scaleable and reasonable and fix the damage states. Maybe you'll get folks to sail again.

• Like 2