Game-Labs Forum

Hotfix 9.71

admin

for me it is a matter of time, before i could participate in a naval battle where everything was running slowly , could shoot the shield , at masts and crew and to capture it , now it seems more a space battle shoot and blow up the enemy as quickly as possible . I do not have that feeling of immersion in ships that era , only to shoot and kill in 10 minutes what used to take 60 could reach, its seem a shotter than a battle ship simulator. I do not know if you understand

sorry for google translator.

I am a new player to the game, I got it about a week ago. Before the 9.7 patch, I was doing fine against the AI. I was making money which I invested in ship making. Profits were good, and at the level I was the AI challenge was adequate. However...after the patch I found myself getting pummeled completely with the enemy AI. I recently captured a privateer, which I was using on 2nd Lt missions, it was a nice ship. The first mission I did after patch was against two pickles, before I could even close the distance (before I had never encountered pickles but I had done mission with 2 AI opponents before, and usually it was more about how I positioned myself relative to the other ships, draw one away and keep the other on the other side of it so his shots went into his mate and not me...I digress), they tore both sides of my ship to shreds, and I decided it was just bad luck and to do a runner. So I lowered the mission level to the midshipman mission, and set sail again, this time against a privateer. No problem, I think, I done this a few times before and came out on top. I was using carronades, I assume the enemy was using longs or mediums, we closed on each other for a broadside. I fired, and barely scratched his hull, he fired and dropped my side to 50% armour as well as multiple leaks. His second broadside finished me off - in a 2nd rank mission which are supposed (I assume) to be designed to help you learn about how to sail and early combat. I now had no ship, and dropped again to cadet missions the first ones available. I now had no money, and just a basic cutter.

The next three missions, one against a lynx, a cutter, and privateer respectively were extremely difficult in comparison to the missions I tried when I first picked up this game. I had to run each time, and got sank at least once. Going toe to toe with equals or less, is now unthinkable. I can barely make enough money to get out of the cutter. Remember these are starter missions, new players will encounter these when they first pick up the game. If you give AI hull seeking ammunition, that will always hit at the right angle for massive damage, and expect a player whose only experience with sailing is having a bath - you will soon find that less players will keep playing after the first day. 

AI Difficulty needs to be eased in, while I would expect a, say... master and commander ranked AI will know how better to fight, giving a midshipman ranked AI the same know-how defeats the purpose of giving them ranks in the first place. A player in the same ship (especially a new player) should be able to go toe to toe with his equal and lesser - and yes it should be a close call if they are equal in strength, and if the player has the advantage in strength it should go a little better for him. Remember AI is a computer, and acts like a computer, so it will act like one, get the best angles in it's all shots - what is missing is the human element of randomness - computer doesn't need to use a mouse and keep aim as it rolls and pitches, computer has perfect eyesight and range judgement, a human player does not (for example I have trouble seeing the rangefinder for guns on the water due to the overlay and my graphics, and my poor eyesight), there is no element of 'human' style intelligence as in other AI systems, the computer is too perfect, devs need to add a randomness factor in the AI gunnery skills, that changes with rank.

• Like 3

That means AI was too easy. Now AI isn't "laser-guided". It just aims correctly.

well...no. AI can aim more than just correct. The full power of their capabilites that transcent us lowly beings of flesh and blood are now unlocked. 

I wouldn't dare to say men and machine are on a parity here. Well at least not a mediocre player than me ;)

Which makes it...challenging, yes. But also...frustrating.

There are other ways to make the AI a menace. See above.

for me it is a matter of time, before i could participate in a naval battle where everything was running slowly , could shoot the shield , at masts and crew and to capture it , now it seems more a space battle shoot and blow up the enemy as quickly as possible . I do not have that feeling of immersion in ships that era , only to shoot and kill in 10 minutes what used to take 60 could reach, its seem a shotter than a battle ship simulator. I do not know if you understand

sorry for google translator.

That english is perfectly understandable  :)

We now need a fix on our cannons, I for one am fed up with the scattergun method

Would even say the grouping of shots might be too good over 800 yards, so no, it is not scattering enough especially moving at full wind.

I did a Mission for Master-Commandant, i was in a Belle-Poule vs 1 Frigate.

Result of this Mission my Stern and my Right side went down, Left side had 90-95% of Armor means nearly Full Armor on the left side.

The Frig lost the left side Armor complet and 90-95% of her Right side. Means nearly down on both sides.

And now comes something that i dont understand.

My Ship sunk first.

Okay it was a good fight and i coud win it when i had watched more my Left side.

But the Enemy had to sink a bit befor, when i see how my Ship was looking.

There is something really wrong.

I think at the end of the day it's a simple matter. It's a game. People play games to have fun. I left other games and came to NA because those other games became frustrating, not fun and NA was fun. At the current patch state it is not fun any more. So if it stays like this me and my mates will leave this game too. Simple as that. I recommended this game to my friend as a buy. Needless to say anybody who is now disappointed with where this game is going will do the opposite if things don't change.

Edited by TheSlickOne
  • Like 2

Shit gets real when they start sniping your Stern one shot at a time and you see your crew dying.

I'm having a blast with my buddies doing the 200xp fleet orders and having some really close calls with first and second rates.

• Like 2

I think at the end of the day it's a simple matter. It's a game. People play games to have fun. I left other games and came to NA because those other games became frustrating, not fun and NA was fun. At the current patch state it is not fun any more. So if it stays like this me and my mates will leave this game too. Simple as that.

to be honest I played less and less druing the last weeks because PvE (yeah, I'm doing this, srry) became less and less of a challenge with rank progression.

Sinking 3rd rates with a Pavel was just ...meh. And this was the biggest challenge I could hope for.

So, I'm perfectly fine with more AI ship variety (finally, thx!!) and generally increased AI threat.

Also..."I will leave your game if you don't tailor it to my personal liking" is not a valid argument. Well...except for the economical part that shouldn't be discussed here.

Real problem is: the 9.71 AI damage output is over the top. See above.

• Like 1

to be honest I played less and less druing the last weeks because PvE (yeah, I'm doing this, srry) became less and less of a challenge with rank progression.

Sinking 3rd rates with a Pavel was just ...meh. And this was the biggest challenge I could hope for.

So, I'm perfectly fine with more AI ship variety (finally, thx!!) and generally increased AI threat.

Also..."I will leave your game if you don't tailor it to my personal liking" is not a valid argument. 

+1.

I am also facing Horrendous problems against ai, my shots are literally doing no damage at all, yet the ai is laser accurate and does tremendous damage, as a new pay this is having a significant impact on gameplay and im at the verge of just giving up.

• Like 2

We now need a fix on our cannons, I for one am fed up with the scattergun method

There is nothing wrong with our guns. A smoothbore Naval cannon was not a precision weapon. but with practice and the right upgrades on your ship. ( pellew's sights, optimized ballast) and knowing when to depower your sails. you can shoot pretty accurate.

Well, yesterday in my basic, teak, not upgraded, full crewed Trinco entered a Capitan de Fragata (so one level lower) mission and I fought against a mercury and a navybrig.

It should have been a breeze, instead it was a close fight ... very hard, but at the end of the story I won. At first I felt like an idiot, now that I read all these comments I say "well, maybe I'm not that bad as a captain".

Jokes behind, the problem is IA accuracy and some kind of too fast reload issue. Actually IA bots are now superhuman snipers and I noted also that IA keeps unleashing boardside after boardside much faster than before.

The ultimate effect is that you hardly succeed in your own level missions and struggle aslo in one level lower missions. That's not exactly balanced.

My suggestion is simple: OR lowering IA accuracy and reload OR - which could be simpler - just let less and/or lower kind of ships spawn in single player missions.

Edited by victor

Was fighting Surprise vs. Surprise against NPC, almost lost the battle.

Only way to win was to let NPC follow me to have 4 guns against 2...

No way to stand the NPC a direct shootout, almost every shot hits and hearts.

Don't get me wrong, I like this challenge... it's way better than before.

But a little tiny bit too much, maybe.  :huh:

I have no problems with AI accuracy. I have no problems with having a challenge in missions. I`m ok with loosing ships in PVE.  I have a problem when I cant reliably sink a Connie in Live Oak Bellona close range side to side hitting all shots due to small range, coz she is doing more damage to me than I do to her. I would be totaly ok with such an outcome against other Bellona, 3rd rate, but Connie?

• Like 1

This is my attack compared to Ai Cutter

PlayerName: Satori</color>

DECK 1 LEFT Carronade 12 [bULLET_DEFAULT]: 6 shots | 6 penetrated for 53.5 dmg | 0 not penetrated for 0.0 dmg | missed: 0 | unsynchronized: 0 | throughtWater: 0

PlayerName: Roger Acorne</color>

DECK 1 RIGHT Cannon 6 pd Long [bULLET_DEFAULT]: 3 penetrated for 129.5 dmg | 0 not penetrated for 0.0 dmg | throughtWater: 0

6 of my shots hit for 53.5 dmg 3 of his hit for 129.5dmg.

• Like 2

DECK 1 LEFT Carronade 12 [bULLET_DEFAULT]: 6 shots | 6 penetrated for 53.5 dmg | 0 not penetrated for 0.0 dmg | missed: 0 | unsynchronized: 0 | throughtWater: 0

DECK 1 RIGHT Cannon 6 pd Long [bULLET_DEFAULT]: 3 penetrated for 129.5 dmg | 0 not penetrated for 0.0 dmg | throughtWater: 0

Yes, but what exactly did he and you hit? Only armor or also rudder/pump/deck etc?

Edit: plus you are also comparing carronades versus longs.

Edited by Coderre
  • Like 1

Is that some kind of naval action log or code or what? If its a log or something concerning naval action REAL data, the devs should look At this immediately and ALL people with doubts por even liking this AI change should now shut up Edited by noniac

Is that some kind of naval action log por conde or what? If its a log or something concerning naval action REAL data, the devs should look At this immediately and ALL people with doubts por even liking this AI change should now shut up

Everyone can look into their combat log, click Ctrl +L.

Secondly just like I said in my last post, this doesn't prove ANYTHING. He is comparing long versus carronades plus he left out what structures he did damage to..

Edit: PLUS, comparing only 1 broadside of dmg (of a fight which prolly took minutes), isn't very significant at all.

Edited by Coderre

Would even say the grouping of shots might be too good over 800 yards, so no, it is not scattering enough especially moving at full wind.

Well I never fire shot at 800 yards, its more like 50-100 yards and with the elevation marker just barely above the deck and the white lines matched up, fire the gun and the shot winds up 2 ship lengths in front or behind when traveling parallel to the enemy. is this correct or is it a lets screw your aim up bot?

For example my Trinc has 25 canon a side, I am at the same speed as the ship I'm firing at and I fire my guns singly, out of that 25 I'm lucky if 4 are on target, the rest either go in front or back or hit the water almost alongside me is this what should happen or am I just totally crap at this game?

Edited by BusterGut

Everyone can look into their combat log, click Ctrl +L.

Secondly just like I said in my last post, this doesn't prove ANYTHING. He is comparing long versus carronades plus he left out what structures he did damage to..

Edit: PLUS, comparing only 1 broadside of dmg (of a fight which prolly took minutes), isn't very significant at all.

Looking at combat log is like looking at the 1720 newspaper for fresh news

Combat log is outdated and is not maintained. It was useful in 2014 in the damage model 1.0 when the ship was considered a big wooden block. It does not provide correct info in 70% of cases as damage model now is 4.5. 

I was told to use them and thast the ai ships never use them and use same type of guns as you, but if that is the case why is it that no matter what cannon i use since the patch my damage is always much less than the ai.  There is something wrong somewhere