Game-Labs Forum

XP Depreciation

48 members have voted

1. 1. Should XP depreciation be in the game.

• XP should depreciate based on % of your current level.
    • XP should depreciate only at highest levels
    • XP should never depreciate.

Several people from each nation are now hitting the highest rank and as time continues more and more 3rd rates or higher will become more  common. I like the point in the game now where seeing a 1st rate is pretty rare and something to behold and if these become extremely common like they will soon enough then they will just become the new third rate. I think having the highest level ship have only 1 durability does help this. 

XP depreciation will also give incentive to max rank players incentive to continue to do missions and play the game.

To combat this I would recommend that upon hitting Flag Captain that your XP begins to depreciate at 10% per week. As you get higher in rank this 10% will become more xp and harder to maintain. You can drop rank due to depreciation but not below Flag Captain. This will make more people use third rates which is more historically accurate than every person being in a 1st rate ship.   

XP depreciation will also give incentive to max rank players incentive to continue to do missions and play the game

... or it will give you incentive to drop the game and never come back to it after your first vacation.

Hell-the-f-no. It's supposed to be a game, not a job!

I like this idea, more difficulty is more pleasure :)

It's busy work - not difficulty.

• Like 2

Uh no, last thing this game needs is more XP grind.

I do agree that in a few weeks we'll see 1st rates everywhere but this can be regulated monetarily (make them more expensivez more time intensive to craft, etc) or by adding crew management and morale, mutiny, etc... Want a Santis? Fine but its gonna cost you a million to craft, cost 100k a day to keep in dock and 50k in crew per hour outside port...

Stuff like this would make more sense. This way players will use smaller ships for their day to day... And big ships will be much jucier targets for capping.

• Like 1

To combat this I would recommend that upon hitting Flag Captain that your XP begins to depreciate at 10% per week. 

Does the depreciation happen on a certain day?  At a specific time?

Is the depreciation applied all at once?  Or in 1% pieces 10 times per day?

What happens to all of player's large ships when he comes back to the game after 3 months (say working out of country)?  Can the players still use the 1st rates?

Could this depreciation occur in a week of gaming time?  

Could the depreciation paused if a player is not logged into NA?  If so could there be a minimum amount of time required to be in game to stop the depreciation?  1min per week?  1 Hour?

What happens to all of player's large ships when he comes back to the game after 3 months (say working out of country)?  Can the players still use the 1st rates?

That depends on how much exp you lose.

Either the system is completely irrelevant, so regular PVP exp will keep you at cap anyways even if you're a casual player, or the system is super punishing that you lose the ability to sail your first rates after a two week vacation.

If you think this is the solution to make first rates rare again, you're way off target.

No please. This is my fourth time grinding XP in 1 1/2 year. This that you propose is a sort of wipe and a eternal grind...

You can be sure I will not sailing a "bricktory" never, except when the port battles needs I must to do.

• Like 1

Several people from each nation are now hitting the highest rank and as time continues more and more 3rd rates or higher will become more  common. I like the point in the game now where seeing a 1st rate is pretty rare and something to behold and if these become extremely common like they will soon enough then they will just become the new third rate. I think having the highest level ship have only 1 durability does help this. 

XP depreciation will also give incentive to max rank players incentive to continue to do missions and play the game.

To combat this I would recommend that upon hitting Flag Captain that your XP begins to depreciate at 10% per week. As you get higher in rank this 10% will become more xp and harder to maintain. You can drop rank due to depreciation but not below Flag Captain. This will make more people use third rates which is more historically accurate than every person being in a 1st rate ship.   

This would hit the casual players and pretty much hurt any players who do not play constantly.

I could understand loosing XP if you loose a battle maybe, but making XP degrade based on a timer seems like it will only make people that take a short brake from the game less incentive to come back to it. Though in general there are a lot of other ways that can be taken to make pvp not only about Line Ship spam.

I would do it the other way, make it expensive to only sail your biggest ship. Maybe crew payroll. Or maybe I don't know what i'm talking about. But I share your distaste at all the ships being maxed out and I raise you maybe make endgame itself more diverse rather than harder to obtain.

• Like 2

This would be fixed with high rates being really expensive, like losing money even after winning a port battle with one of those (this way you would need several people to sustain a single first rate) and by giving other rate ships different utilities.

As others have said this is just too punishing for folks that have a job.  The game already is not casual friendly as it is.  I can understand some folks thinking that elites are the bread and butter, but this game has enough of a small market it would be bad to push players away.

There are far better ways to undertake this, as others have said, make upkeep/crew costs prohibitive.  It costs a ton to outfit and crew that monster, so have some sort of upkeep fee or pay the crew when you sail or something.  On the inverse, make frigates and such the best way to earn money in the game from a combat perspective.  This is sort of historically accurate, as frigates had some of the best chances of catching merchants.  Basically, do something like WoT did, where you have the mid levels be the "sweet spot" for making bank, in a cost/rewards situation.  It just takes tuning.

That would be a far better way than to only let the people that play godly hours ever hope of controlling a Victory or Santisma.

Edit:  Another method would be to make "Frigate Only" Missions that focus on frigate-level gameplay that have a better chance of dropping good rewards.  Or perhaps hold events that encourage people to play ships of a certain tier.  Whatever you want really.

I think people do have to get used to the idea that yes, eventually most people that play the game seriously will have access to a 1st rate.  That isn't always in and of itself a problem, it's just the nature of gaming.

Edited by ingerad

XP depreciation should never be done over (just) time, but can be useful to prevent exploiting the game

(big ships voluntarily loose badly to a basic cutter of another nation, as they know each other, the big ones

could loose XP by taking too much damge...)