Game-Labs Forum

Ship turn nerfed too much?

Keep in mind it's early but my first impressions of the changes seem to be a bit much. It might be more realistic but that doesn't necessarily translate into more fun for me at least. Everything feels like sailing a brick, which again, might be closer to reality but it feels so sluggish that trying to rely on a more maneuverable ship might not be as effective anymore. Historically speaking I believe broadside armor and firepower were the two most important factors and ships mostly exchanged broadsides till one was beaten but that doesn't translate into great depth of play to me. Just feels like another step toward the road we have been going down where just about every single aspect of this game promotes the biggest ship you can get.....faster xp, faster gold grinding, and now even a bigger advantage in battles?

• Like 2

Still testing and sailing of course. The first impression is that now using manual sailing in battle is fundamental, especially if you are trying to turn against the wind. Speed and maneuverability now go together and they are depending on how much sailors you have on sailing duty. More realism in the end, and up to now I like it. Even with my brick Frigate I can still manage to maneuver decently. Still some concern on the production buildings... but that is another topic.

No, I dont think so. Want to turn fast? Take crews off gunnery for a bit and get them to manage sails till you complete your maneuver, then put them back on gunnery.

You're all, presumably, sitting there at 60% sail turning efficiency, and not one of you is using manual sails anyway to turn faster judging by the angle of your yards.

Edited by Tindahbawx

What do you think, are new turn values are too much? ok? or too fast?

Share opinions. 

Picture shows 3 captains try to turn, pass each other and end up colliding and stuck sailing together. :D Never drink and sail.

MNBclFt.jpg

Dunno matey, this how I see most USA players sail  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :P

The new changes make it feel more realistic in pvp, but in pve it's a bit obnoxious since the npc's seem to have unlimited and instant rudder deflection.  Try keeping a npc 3rd rate from turning toward you while you're in a 3rd rate...it'll push you wherever it wants to go.  It is something to do with the rudder, because if you are able to disable the rudder on the npc 3rd rate, you can push it around the same as a pvp situation with 2 3rd rates going hull to hull.  As soon as the repairs the rudder, it will start pushing you around again.  The only way I've been able to overcome the rudder issue is by sliding back and shooting the rudder with my aft cannons, or a hard 90 degree ram on their stern.  Nothing else seems to be reliable for forcing them to turn into the wind for a boarding action.

The new changes make it feel more realistic in pvp, but in pve it's a bit obnoxious since the npc's seem to have unlimited and instant rudder deflection.  Try keeping a npc 3rd rate from turning toward you while you're in a 3rd rate...it'll push you wherever it wants to go.  It is something to do with the rudder, because if you are able to disable the rudder on the npc 3rd rate, you can push it around the same as a pvp situation with 2 3rd rates going hull to hull.  As soon as the repairs the rudder, it will start pushing you around again.  The only way I've been able to overcome the rudder issue is by sliding back and shooting the rudder with my aft cannons, or a hard 90 degree ram on their stern.  Nothing else seems to be reliable for forcing them to turn into the wind for a boarding action.

those third rates with their inboard motors....