Game-Labs Forum

Cash Shop, Micro-transactions etc.

Just wondering how the devs plan to make income from this game above and beyond the base price.

I know microtransactions are generally hated, but looking at other MMO's that have a base price and no sub, they tend to have a cash shop for customisation items, XP boosts etc.

Elite Dangerous is one such game. They mainly have ship customisation skins etc. I for one have no problem supporting the game by buying these kind of things. Ship paintjobs, customised pirate flags etc.

Has there been any info on this or is it still to early to say?

• Like 2

Just wondering how the devs plan to make income from this game above and beyond the base price.

I know microtransactions are generally hated, but looking at other MMO's that have a base price and no sub, they tend to have a cash shop for customisation items, XP boosts etc.

Elite Dangerous is one such game. They mainly have ship customisation skins etc. I for one have no problem supporting the game by buying these kind of things. Ship paintjobs, customised pirate flags etc.

Has there been any info on this or is it still to early to say?

I *believe* that one plan is for the sale of premium ships. Premium here simply being "fancier", much in the sense that the Yacht is a cutter with a "fancy" skin, rather than following the ever-hated Pay-2-win ships.

• Like 1

The devs said during the closed alpha phase of this game that they are strictly against micro transactions. They said that the only things they might charge for are ship decals.

nope Captain.

we said we will definitely have premium ships, but not sure when and in what form. 

• Like 1

nope Captain.

we said we will definitely have premium ships, but not sure when and in what form. 

Does that mean ships you can buy that are more powerful 'in store' for real cash, better than those you can obtain in the OW or craft?

Does that mean ships you can buy that are more powerful 'in store' for real cash, better than those you can obtain in the OW or craft?

The yacht is a premium ship.  It isn't necessarily "more powerful."

The yacht is a premium ship.  It isn't necessarily "more powerful."

the funny thing about the yacht is that a lot of people even preferred the cutter, it was about 50% that I came across. I am firmly in yacht club, I think it's great, the 3 1 upgrade slots are a bit of a pain though

I would also support it if it had a Cash Shop.

I only pray that Naval Action's devs do not make the Cash Shop and overbearing part of the game with constant ad-like reminders that it exists. You have a small but very loyal and dedicated fanbase who would undoubtedly pour more money into this game if avenues were available.

While I'm not sure how easy implementing it would be, the crate system found in other popular games such as TF2/Dota2 often encourage much greater profit margins than just a simple cash shop too. The only issue would be keeping up with a steady flow of premium aesthetic content to keep customers interested.

And for the love of God please consider additional flag options for each country (so long as they are appropriate to that faction's national history)

• Like 2

No, never. They'll rather be pretty ships than better ones. I refer to one of the quotes in my signature below.

i wouldent be agains having "premium" versions of ships you can buy in a store with the regular version still ingame for free

that way noone looses out on ships and people with little time or whatever can buy a ship and be asured they wont have to grind to replace it if it gets sunk

As i wrote elsewhere this morning I would buy all premium ships. I can afford it. As a matter of fact I currently save money. I playing this game all the time and dont buy things in other game i play like warthunder.

Btw

There is one more way to support the game and it developers. Already now.

I bought their second game. The Gettysburg game. It is good but i bought it mainly as a way to support the game-labs.

I can Buy : Figurehead for my ship. 1$  one ship only  or 15$ the right to mount figure heads for all crafted ships.

: Name my ship. 1$ one ship only    or 15$  the right to name crafted ships.

: Have a custom flag on top of middle mast. Even small one but my own colors pattern maybe my clan pattern etc.

: Have a right to pick a color of my ship sails ( no pink)  but make them darker  or grey  No silly colors. maybe only  white to black and all shades in them.

I can buy Premium ships: as long as they don't cost more than 20$ per ship and are permanent. Like have Durability's but on 48h coldown  like a yacht.

Just a guideline that i can live with. 

What I hope we don't see for sale are things like Increased XP Duration Tokens, Increased Gold Duration Tokens, premium upgrades, Crafting Labor hour potions, Ships that are better than craft-able ones etc.

For me personally, looking at other games I play, I have spend quite a lot of money in cash shops on customisation items like cool outfits, mounts etc.  In Elite Dangerous, I've bought loads of paint jobs.

I actually like spending cash on items particularly if it's a free to play game that I respect and enjoy.

On the flip side, I've also played some games were it's clear the devs are trying to fleece the hell out of people which quickly left a bad taste in my mouth and caused me to feel resentment.  Probably one of the most amazing games I've ever played is Archeage. I pretty much protest quit that game for this reason and never went back even though I loved it. To do any kind of crafting based stuff in that game you needed labor points. You spent them super quickly and they regenerated SLOWLY over time, but only when you were logged in. Of course, you could 'buy' instant points from the cash shop.  It was clear the mechanic existed to 'encourage' players to pay cash for them, and this was in a subscription based game. You just have to look at the negative reviews on steam to see how this kind of behavior turned the community into haters. This is a game that should be 'overwhelmingly positive' but has a 'mixed' status.

Elite Dangerous on the other hand I would buy stuff I didn't really need because I wanted to support the game.  I'd do the same here.

The problem is, and I don't mean any disrespect to the devs, I have no idea what the release game model will be. They seem very committed to the community though so that's a positive thing.

What I hope we don't see for sale are things like Increased XP Duration Tokens, Increased Gold Duration Tokens, premium upgrades, Crafting Labor hour potions, Ships that are better than craft-able ones etc.

For me personally, looking at other games I play, I have spend quite a lot of money in cash shops on customisation items like cool outfits, mounts etc. In Elite Dangerous, I've bought loads of paint jobs.

I actually like spending cash on items particularly if it's a free to play game that I respect and enjoy.

On the flip side, I've also played some games were it's clear the devs are trying to fleece the hell out of people which quickly left a bad taste in my mouth and caused me to feel resentment. Probably one of the most amazing games I've ever played is Archeage. I pretty much protest quit that game for this reason and never went back even though I loved it. To do any kind of crafting based stuff in that game you needed labor points. You spent them super quickly and they regenerated SLOWLY over time, but only when you were logged in. Of course, you could 'buy' instant points from the cash shop. It was clear the mechanic existed to 'encourage' players to pay cash for them, and this was in a subscription based game. You just have to look at the negative reviews on steam to see how this kind of behavior turned the community into haters. This is a game that should be 'overwhelmingly positive' but has a 'mixed' status.

Elite Dangerous on the other hand I would buy stuff I didn't really need because I wanted to support the game. I'd do the same here.

The problem is, and I don't mean any disrespect to the devs, I have no idea what the release game model will be. They seem very committed to the community though so that's a positive thing.

Yesh if they do the cash for boost i dont think i can play that . Peope get to touchy about thier premium times.

Good games don't need microtransactions or in-game shops to keep themselves running. The more content developers put into game, the bigger playerbase will be, the more money devs make. Take a look at Guild Wars series: It's single purchase MMO (expansions are optional). You can even download Guild Wars 2 for free and spend dozens of hours playings, get access to most of game content without spending a penny.

One thing, the most important: Naval Action is early access game, in alpha stage. Game is also only available on Steam, which makes it hard and unfair to purchase in certain regions of the World. The game first needs to be finished, polished and supported after final release by developers and publisher before they start thinking about any other paid content. If they make it available on more markets and talk to local publishers they will sell more copies.

If developers said that they are against microtransations - cudos to them. If you feel generous about spending more money on Naval Action - donate to developers or gift a game to your friends. More players = more fun for players and money for developers. Everyone wins.

Good games don't need microtransactions or in-game shops to keep themselves running. The more content developers put into game, the bigger playerbase will be, the more money devs make. Take a look at Guild Wars series: It's single purchase MMO (expansions are optional). You can even download Guild Wars 2 for free and spend dozens of hours playings, get access to most of game content without spending a penny.

One thing, the most important: Naval Action is early access game, in alpha stage. Game is also only available on Steam, which makes it hard and unfair to purchase in certain regions of the World. The game first needs to be finished, polished and supported after final release by developers and publisher before they start thinking about any other paid content. If they make it available on more markets and talk to local publishers they will sell more copies.

If developers said that they are against microtransations - cudos to them. If you feel generous about spending more money on Naval Action - donate to developers or gift a game to your friends. More players = more fun for players and money for developers. Everyone wins.

Yeah but GW still has a store. Whilst players can play for free, there's still going to be a high % of players who pay for customisation items etc which help support the free to play model.

I would argue that niche games such as this one, no matter how polished and content filled, will almost always benefit from another source of revenue. NA is most certainly a niche game, almost exceptionally so. And while I might think to donate every now and then, the amount of cache I would spend on pennants, figureheads, ship skins, premium ships, etc. would be in a far greater amount and would certainly encourage a more steady stream of capital for further development. 

• Like 1

I would put some money down on a Red or Blue paint scheme for my snow. I just love that Bonhomme Richard look.

On a similar note, customizable cabins is another way to bring in money if you want fancier decorations.

• Like 2