Game-Labs Forum

The Black Friday

AGermanGuy

We simply just does not have enough players in the Swedish nation to compete. We might have just enough for one port battle if our biggest clans combine all their online players with ships big enough. In general the nation is undercrewed and naturally cant stop a force of 10x more BR.

And while the smaller nations fight each others the 2 bigs ones are just doing fine. :rolleyes:

Shouldn't it be a sign that instead of fighting we should unit?

We asked Sweden 2 times, and third time today. They don't want peace - war continues. 

We simply just does not have enough players in the Swedish nation to compete. We might have just enough for one port battle if our biggest clans combine all their online players with ships big enough. In general the nation is undercrewed and naturally cant stop a force of 10x more BR.

That is a hollow accusation, how did we lose some battles/ports to the swedes then?.. You have a lot of central europeans playing for you sooo.... Maybe it adds up.. 

Think it is pretty equal actually, we just caught you off guard one night and today your morale is broken into pieces. You can still do a lot of damage to our supply lines. 

Edited by E.P. Juel

The number wasn't my point, my point was that this activity goes on by both sides all the time, and only one side has been name-calling about it, but yeah, it's OW and fights develop over time as Grim said. I'd have jumped that 3rd Rate too, who wouldn't? I suspect part of the difficulty is the belief that all members of each other nation are operating in concert all of the time. SLMFr raids are usually 4-8 ships at most, and if more than 4 then we split into multiple groups, and we (for the most part) only attack ships our size and larger. If you're sailing around in a Renommee/Surprise or larger, you're no longer allowed to cry newb and be safe from combat. This is a PvP server, afterall. That's not to say there aren't other French players out there targeting Cutters, and I don't answer for them. But then we all paint the entire opposing nation with the same broad brush when it happens.

And for the record (to whomever it was that said it, I don't recall the name): The first thing we did here was congratulate the Dutch and Danes on a well-coordinated offensive, not cry about broken mechanics, fighting on multiple fronts, or the cost of a decent Burgundy in Paris. I'm not even going to comment again on the absurdity of the statements that the French have never been on the defensive or fought not just on multiple fronts but in multiple theatres of war at once.

Honestly sir, what's disappointing about all of this is that we've (both French and Dutch) been able to stay civil on the boards throughout our back-and-forth up until now. I think the Dutch-French hostilities have really stood out on these forums because they're the only threads not full of salty tears and ungracious behavior, which I've been proud of being a part of. It's just a shame to see that break down now, suddenly. Ah well, in these modern times it seems impossible to maintain civility in war, n'est pas? I've said all I can about remaining gracious and entertaining; both sides are doing it now, so I'll give it a rest. I'll still share a beer with ya at the end of all this, though ;)

There has been much courtesy by French captains, and in that I hold you in highest regard, monsieur Tabernac. Jests, some fun jokes a few word benders, all in good spirit and as gracious as the battles fought. It is when others, that choose not to play a part in this theatre of war for reasons of reproach, still spews to diminish those efforts by all those captains at this war front. 

It makes me cranky. super cranky.

The Dutch fought hard, the Danes were feriocious and efficient, the Swedes were valiant and the French fought like untamed lions. Opportunity was taken. Luck, skill and coin were used by all involved. Everyone has put their back in it. The coin was flipped and fell our way this time, as it fell in the other direction many times. I will remain grateful to be part of it, winning or losing; I'm sure many captains in our nations will feel the same way.

Salute and with utmost respect. o7

• Like 17

There has been much courtesy by French captains, and in that I hold you in highest regard, monsieur Tabernac. Jests, some fun jokes a few word benders, all in good spirit and as gracious as the battles fought. It is when others, that choose not to play a part in this theatre of war for reasons of reproach, still spews to diminish those efforts by all those captains at this war front.

It makes me cranky. super cranky.

The Dutch fought hard, the Danes were feriocious and efficient, the Swedes were valiant and the French fought like untamed lions. Opportunity was taken. Luck, skill and coin were used by all involved. Everyone has put their back in it. The coin was flipped and fell our way this time, as it fell in the other direction many times. I will remain grateful to be part of it, winning or losing; I'm sure many captains in our nations will feel the same way.

Salute and with utmost respect. o7

Probably the best post on this thread so far. You sir are to be admired.

Oh, don't get me wrong. That picture's been around for ages and I still snicker every time I see it. What I meant was that to call our little hunting fleets 'seal-clubbing' for only going after newbies is silly. We pilot nothing larger than Renommees and the vast majority of our targets are Renomme/Surprise and larger. We don't generally waste our time with anything smaller because it's not usually worth the effort, and we move in fleets of no more than 3-4. You guys also do the same thing, just ask my poor clan-mate that lost his trader full of goods to 8 Dutch ships just after this all went down; the difference is we don't come on here afterwards and call you names for doing it ;)

I feel your pain, brother :(

Sorry, of sorts, for the loss of your friend.

Just a remark as I was there and was me making the OW tag in a Privateer, if it is indeed the same player. He was intercepted north of Pedernales with a couple of french friendlies aroundto the east near puerto de espana doing missions and whatever, we had just intercepted a Surprise there. He called in reinforcements as predicted.

It is not subject to revisionism about gank. It was not a closed battle to friendlies. Ultimately the nation buddies abandoned him to his fate.

• Like 2

Oh yeah, I wasn't calling anybody out over it, it was just a very unfortunate turn of events for my comrade. Such is the way of war. I only mentioned it to point out that, as we are at war, we all engage in harassment of enemy shipping, and we'd be fools not to. He was understandably annoyed about the loss, but also understandable about the circumstances :) Salut!

• Like 3

I just saw a great opportunity. SLMFrcould just take back all the ports while you'll sleep with he North American squadron. Humm. Ideas. Maybe those timers aren't so bad for of we get together everyone. Hopes not lost.

It was never our intention to actually hold and defend those ports. Where would you ever get such an idea?

It seems people would rather come on forums and whine over broken mechanics instead of accept the fact we were caught off guard by a well prepared attack, the danes managed to come together as a group and completely overwhelm our defenses. I was not there during what is now known as "black friday" due to real life but from what I hear it was impressive and certainly unexpected..I have fought Danes with Britain and now with Sverige, and though I don't overestimate them I don't underestimate them either, they can certainly get a fleet together..But I will stand and fight for every inch of Sverige land we have left and the land we will regain..

• Like 2

Well, we had a plan and it worked out well ;)

We had great intel within the SLRN telling us that we would not be attacked.... So we took the opportunity and kept going ;)

Great how some players think what fair play means. Buy several accounts to spy on other nations. Great skills. When it comes to fighting a strong force you run like rabbits. But tag team the two weakest nations.

How about to attack pirates just once and show some real skills?

Well CptKenway. If there is a problem it is up to the developers to solve it. If mechanics function in one way it is up to them to solve the problems. We simply used the mechanics of the game, like the swedes too have done several times (like when we got an attack on three fronts the same time).

The only way we dan-norwegians can expand to the east is by killing the swedes or make an alliance with them. The last option is one they are NOT interested in. At least not the clan leaders. hence: RIP Sweden. :-(

There is still a window of opportunity. If I was a swedish player (I am not, I play with the danes-norwegians) I would seek an alliance with the danes. There might still be a chance to get some ports in exchange for peace.

/T

PS

By the way. We just smashed the brits that tried to take Fredriksted while the main part of the navy was occupied with fights against the french and the swedish. :-)

Edited by Ligatorswe
  • Like 2

Well done. Just another 100 players left the server. From 2500 to just around 2000 yesterday. And today 1900? 1800? How to kill a game lesson one: seal clubbing small nations. You must be very proud. Tell us more about it.

INB4: "We did it to protect them" or "They just needed to start conscripting random players into the clans by force!"

ALMOST in time :( At any rate:

It's not our fault, we didn't do it! It's the developers that forced us to do it! It's not our fault!

It seems the Dane-Dutch-USA coalition excels in attacking the lesser nations... I think we have decided who the Axis of our server are :)

Since when is France a lesser nation? Just a week ago they were boasting how they brought 300 players to attack 5 dutch ports at once. There's nothing "lesser" about the French. They are quite a big nation, they have a large number of great experienced sailors who have always proved to be a great and dangerous opponent. They've had it rough for two nights, but they will bounce back, I have no doubt.

• Like 1

Since when is France a lesser nation? Just a week ago they were boasting how they brought 300 players to attack 5 dutch ports at once. There's nothing "lesser" about the French. They are quite a big nation, they have a large number of great experienced sailors who have always proved to be a great and dangerous opponent. They've had it rough for two nights, but they will bounce back, I have no doubt.

That's EXACTLY what a member of Axis would say!  :o