Game-Labs Forum

Minor patch today - Important port battle changes

admin

I take it those fortifications aren't gonna be like the bloody jokes POBS had where one broadside took them out and their fire was irrelevant? And the defenders are actually at an advantage in heavily fortified ports?

imagine current martello tower but with 60 guns

• Like 1

Hello Captains

This is a last hot fix before the promised content update.

Port battles - important change

Port battles BR difference win condition was sometimes allowing easy wins for defenders. We have applied 2 following changes.

1 - BR difference required to win the battle is 2x now

When you refer to the Defenders, is this those who's nation is in control of the Port, or the attacking nation who now become the defenders against

the owners who become the attacker?

• Like 1

How would one capture a port with those massive fortresses?! With defenders that's damn near impossible! if everyone was in 1st rates attacking that still be near impossible xD 

Unless you put something in Open world which effects the forts in some way for example lack of supplies to it's undermanned or damaged from previous battles.

How would one capture a port with those massive fortresses?! With defenders that's damn near impossible! if everyone was in 1st rates attacking that still be near impossible xD 

Unless you put something in Open world which effects the forts in some way for example lack of supplies to it's undermanned or damaged from previous battles.

I think Mortars are a part of the solution ;)

Maybe some of them are unassailable... just like IRL.

Out of my mind I can remember Lisbon. It would've been a nightmare for any fleet with an alabor fort right in the middle of the sand banks with all the star coastal forts with guns funneling down the coast. An enemy fleet would either run the gauntlet or try one by one while being crossfired all the time.

Check Port Royal.

http://www.britishempire.co.uk/images2/portroyal1774map.jpg

Count the amount of guns the port defense has plus their positioning.

( c'mon spring come faaaast )

The 3rd rates are OP right now, but in a month or two they will be really common. 

Personally I think its a bit stupid shallow water ships can't join deep water port battles. If they can sail on the open sea why cant they join in a battle on deeper waters? It would add to realism and would be way more fun.

Maybe it will be possible to capture them and then turn their guns on the defenders..  Whilst a fortress may not be defeatable by guns, intrigue can be a lot stronger and add a new element to port battles.

Just guessing but A lot of ports in real life were only taken if the defenses were captured before the battle not during it:)

Malice

A regular fleet of 25 small and med frigates will never substain the power of 25 3rd rates.

well of course? Why shoud they? They are frigates?!?!? Why on earth woud anybody run a 3rd if they are not twice as strong as a Frigate?

• Like 1

why the shall they have a tank? it like you send 25 Tiger-Tanks vs. 25 Tank II why woud they win? Why shoud they? THIS woud fuck up balance.. big time lol

this is the most redicules comparesing iv seen... 

1. in World of tanks, you split the players on each team.

2. you cant fight tier 2 vs tier 7.

3. in this game, we are not so fortunate that we have 25 3rd rates yet.

4.*******

imagine current martello tower but with 60 guns

i seriously hope when these forts are implemented it is going to take serious investment from players to upgrade port defenses to this degree.

If ports end up with that kind of defense for free it will be ridiculous.

However if players can band together to invest in beefing up a key ports defenses to this level, that would be great.

i seriously hope when these forts are implemented it is going to take serious investment from players to upgrade port defenses to this degree.

If ports end up with that kind of defense for free it will be ridiculous.

However if players can band together to invest in beefing up a key ports defenses to this level, that would be great.

I think it's ridiculous that we get all this technology for free. We should start in the dark ages and have to grind up from small reed boats and canoes, then discover the New World like Columbus.

Game is set in Caribbean. Caribbean has forts.

• Like 5

It feels like too many variables changed at once. With both of these changes in effect I think that the game will REALLY play into the hands of people sailing undercrewed, huge ships, and it will also make the game disproportionally benefit people that grind 24/7 (sharing accounts, being unemployed and playing abnormally much, etc.) compared to people who actually have a life (school, job, family, activities away from the computer).Factions that can't muster as many insanely hardcore players will simply be rolled over since there's no chance in hell for them to defend a port if they can't use smaller and lighter ships to any reasonable effect. This basically means "biggest ship wins", and that in itself means "casuals and normal people shouldn't bother playing port battles and only play the largest factions where they can hide among the mass of other players".

The general attitude of the forums is this game should only be for hardcore no lifers, and it starting to look like the developers are leaning that way as well.

• Like 1

I take it those fortifications aren't gonna be like the bloody jokes POBS had where one broadside took them out and their fire was irrelevant? And the defenders are actually at an advantage in heavily fortified ports?

Considering guns only fire a clump of iron and not explosives, taking out a tower should be a massive effort from any gun in the game. You would literally have to break down the walls using nothing but kinetic force from impacts.

I strongly suspect that the Royal British Navy in Jamaica has sent spies into the offices of Naval Action. Or something...

:-)

This is excellent for their method of packing big fat undercrewed ships into the Port Battles.

Only fighting with the same methods being used against us. Thankfully this will be impossible with the new content update (hopefully it hits soon) 

Considering guns only fire a clump of iron and not explosives, taking out a tower should be a massive effort from any gun in the game. You would literally have to break down the walls using nothing but kinetic force from impacts.

Well, these forts were designed to be more or less impervious to cannon fire, so they could only be reduced from the sea with any practicality by firing directly at the guns / gun crews (small, well-protected targets) or gettting mortar bombs on top of them.

There should be a greater focus on reducing or suppressing the gun crews rather than destroying the forts outright, and a mechanic that allows marines to be contributed directly to a fort assault via a logical landing zone (rather than putting ships against the fort itself), with the first player landing marines controlling the "boarding action" and others that enter the zone contributing reinforcements. Would also be awesome if cargo ships could be brought to ports with troops aboard to do same (forgo firepower for fortress capturing ability). Could lead to an interesting dynamic where you have lineships to fix the enemy fleet, bomb vessels to suppress the forts and a mix of lighter ships to land troops and marines.

• Like 4