Game-Labs Forum

I really hate the Surprise

I can't express how much I hate the Surprise.  

It has many good characteristics (bow chasers, decent speed when sailing close to the wind.)

However, it heels over like a wobbling weeble.   I can't count the times that I was unable to bring my guns to bear because they are pointing at the sky and won't depress far enough to hit the target.  

Depowering sails helps a little, as does manual positioning of the yards, but every time I find a broadside ruined by the ship heeling so much, I curse the Surprise.  

Wishing I had never bought the 2 that I have.  I am much happier when sailing my Cerberus.  

Have you tried shifting your sails with manual controls? (Q,E, Z, C) Actually not sure that helps, just thinking that may be a quick way to loose wind. I need to try it next time I'm in a wobbly ship. But you can also go to battle sails, which helps with the heeling over.

There's also the "optimized ballast" upgrade that reduces ship lean.

Edited by Slamz

It has many good characteristics (bow chasers, decent speed when sailing close to the wind.)

However, it heels over like a wobbling weeble.   I can't count the times that I was unable to bring my guns to bear because they are pointing at the sky and won't depress far enough to hit the target.  

Depowering sails helps a little, as does manual positioning of the yards, but every time I find a broadside ruined by the ship heeling so much, I curse the Surprise.  

Wishing I had never bought the 2 that I have.  I am much happier when sailing my Cerberus.  

If you cant cope with the Surprise, don't get the Trinco. Even though Trinco is best

For stability, you should try Renommée, it's an excellent gun platform. I used surprise too, with optimized ballast, but kept cursing it on every fight. I was more than happy to finally sell it once i got the Renommée blueprint and changed rank. However i keep Renommées, for their speed, their handling, and their stability.

• Like 1

I love the surprise but hate her lean. Have had her at over 13 degrees before and thought I was going to capsize myself in a turn. -.- Optimized ballast really seems to do the opposite of what it says, from my experience in the surprise.

Edited by Dalriaden

It's definitely not the same ship that I used to love back in Sea Trials. It heels badly, but as long as you get the wind (or depower sails if you don't), that can be overcome.
I'm fine with it having lost its 12pdr guns too, it was probably a bit over gunned before.

What I really really hate though, is how long it takes to fire a broadside. The last half of a broadside usually misses, even at relatively close range, and some times I see shots going off at weird angles, way outside of the aiming "apron".

Coming from the Cerberus the Surprise felt like a relief in terms of speed and handling.

The leaning is troublesome as well as the proper aiming of broasides.

Lastly I have mainly been fighting big, bulky opponents which even an oddly aimed Surprise Broadside can't miss. But I did notive that the Renommées in my team had a much better time in positioning themelves into raking postions.

I might give the Renommée a try now, although I am going to miss the chasers.

All in all the Surpise is a very powerful ship and like the posters above mentioned DEPOWERING sails and BATTLE sails as well as the right position in the wind are mandatory if you want to hit something. There's a lot of micro'ing going on...

Edited by Mr. Starbuck

with 2 min timers?

2. Ranting and trolling

A rant is a post that is filled with angry and counterproductive comments. Rants are disruptive, and incite flaming and trolling. Trolling is when you structure your posts to anger and insult other players to achieve an emotional response. Please post your thoughts clearly and avoid trolling.

in case you forgot: people want 1 min timers or an equivalent mechanic (sight range join only) so they know that their fight wont be rushed by 24 players in the last minute

if you attack somebody on os with clear weather (max sight range) and there is nobody else but you and your target, another enemy (or 24 of them) joining after 1:55 would be frustrating

• Like 1

Hate Surprise?

You must be doing something wrong, Surprise is a great ship but then, I really like something about all the ships.

If you hate surprise, your really going to hate the Trinc.

Edited by Sea Daddy