Game-Labs Forum

Forthcoming Patch 23. Hercules, Tutorial and Map teaser

1 minute ago, The Marinadtor said:

Most new players on the PVE server thinks sailing to Savannah la Mar is a waste of time, I don't see this as an appropriate solution.

In high population areas on the PVE server(KRP) there are virtually no OW NPC fleets left simply because of the high population density. That is why people go for missions on the PVE server, because they don't have the time or want to put in the effort to go somewhere where they can find more.

Sorry they are too lazy to solve their own problems?????

Edited by RedNeckMilkMan

I think now it could be the time to remove the fleet perks and simply let everyone  put unrated ships (7th rate) as fleet for everyone while moving all traders as unrated ships.

This would :

-leave the traders in a same posture (except those travelling in indiaman with 2 consti as fleet) 

-Still can help low rank capitains in doing their missions.

-Become more like an annoyance for higher rank captains (just a minimal help like for exemple if ai become more efficient at using chain shots ? now they are limited to two salvo, two extra salvo from a cutter could matter, or as extra cargo space for loot)

This would also help with the minimal ow info:

- unrated fleet don't represent much of an unsuspected threat but potential ai trade fleet can be a good target.

Also i think this would be more realistic, fleets of frigates or larger should be composed of players captains only.

While a navy officer usually had a smaller ship alongside him to act as a tender or else. 

1 minute ago, RedNeckMilkMan said:

Sorry they are too lazy to solve their own problems?????

You say that, and I can agree to a certain extent but it will not change that the in my opinion high probability that the player retention of the game will be worse and therefore will make the game less fun for all players because the servers will be slowly emptying.

1 minute ago, Pada said:

I‘m still waiting for the game to die from where it was told 3 years ago.

If you don't think the game is slowly dying I don't really think you have played the game for 3 years. I played the game when it first came out and came back late last year and noticed both a drop between the periods of my play and during the last 5 months.

1 minute ago, Pada said:

I‘m still waiting for the game to die from where it was told 3 years ago.

You are the one that has just to shut up: you have been playing until ganiking was easy and left the game when it has become difficult. Now you come back since you smell easy ganking again.

At least other PVP players stood still.

Let's think of other games and see why they are so catchy:

Sea of thieves (Open world music, shipwrecks, Random Treasure search , Ship Customization, Group Missions,Events)

Pirates of the Burning Sea (Fleets drop rare items, collections, loot, recipes, books, Can cap npcs, Open world music, easy to read map, pvp activity indicators, titles, daily missions with grand rewards in the end)

EvE (Open World music, rare loot, reputation, exploration, ship customization, factions and reputation, achievements with rewards etc..)

So, what NA can do to make players go out, sail and not be afraid to loose ships? 

-Open Sea music is a must, try to play a catchy tune and sail. We are in a whole different game now.

-Floating debris (ammo, sailors, repair kits, missions etc)

-Reputation (damage inflicted to other nations get you rep and rewards)

-Achievements with rewards (participate in 10 port battles get 3rd rate or Wasa etc..) 

-What else? Well it takes time to sail from a to b, I think making it less boring would help. 

Edited by Project Pluto
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, rediii said:

ofcourse you can do it with the risk involved to get jumped and have 1 pvp battle instead of 1 pve battle going back to work knowing you learned how to properly sail a bit more or even killed your gankers.

The problem is you don't have a PVP battle, you have a gank squad battle that you will certainly lose.  The issue here is that missions outside of the safe zone do not close.  Gank squads feed on these.  Any mission outside of the safe zone WILL be victimised.  Either close all missions when you enter or get rid of them.  Having missions that can be ganked is counter-productive.  This is broken and needs to be fixed.  Ganking is poison in this game.  The rest of the mods look very interesting and should raise some great discussions.    

2 minutes ago, Wraith said:

So you can farm new players in the green zones who hit them since they're always open battles?  It's ludicrous to me that you, @RedNeckMilkMan, and @Pada, who doesn't even play any more I might add, can't observe what has happened in the past or anticipate what happens when you offer up fewer and fewer options for new player protections.  ESPECIALLY when you have a player base that will be as bimodal as this one will be when it launches.

You will have an influx of, let's say optimistically, a few thousand players.  You'll have the 1000 or so vets that have stayed or will come back. Those thousand, as we've seen over and over again are worth 3-4 newer players against 1, especially when the gear path, organization, and knowledge of the meta comes into play, even post-wipe.  The new players will be farmed mercilessly with the new system and you will be back to the same 600 average EU time, 150-200 average American time players before you know it.

Every other MMO has new player protections in place that are almost ironclad. Why can't we learn from everyone else instead of making the same mistakes over and over?

What you describe is a totally different problem and a result of free market pvp that has players dictate where action is and not the game, hence everyone goes to capital zones which also are safezones now (but haven't always been)

continuity error on part of the devs, but it doesn't make this specific change bad.

40 minutes ago, Jon Snow lets go said:

I dont think its so hard. Manual sailing, angling and you win vs most of the players already.

Its just hard to practise, also with the potiential loss in the mind a lot of players play unneccassary scared. Thats why the skill level in this game is very low.

A lot of those players have that mentatliy cause they get farmed by nothing but vets daily. I know you played in the EU mainly nations, but try comeing over a nation like US or GB and hang out and help the casual new players.  Swedes doesn't have as big a player base of casuals nor does Prussia?   So ya'll don't see this side of the game as much. While I know you don't do it as i never seen your name up by CT, but a lot of other players do nothing but farm the Capitals over and over and think that is great PvP content.   Those players they farm get frustrtated loosing ships over and over and over and than stop playing.  They never rank up to RA or learn some of the basic things me and you know cause we been playing this game for a good while so instead they get frustrated and just stop playing.  It's why the nation that has over 50% of this games sales has the worse retention rate out of any other region in game.  If 50% of the sales of this game is US based than that means 50% of the population should be, but it's not.   We seen clans/players come and go in the nation  cause of folks giving up cause they are over farmed by certian players that think they have the right to do so.

35 minutes ago, Wraith said:

You and I both know that's not true for places like Charleston.  U.S. newbs will be pulling missions outside the green zone all the time. Especially since it will be super easy to get into frigates after doing nothing besides going through the tutorial, and those players, ostensibly still newbies, will definitely be easy pickings for vets.

Most causal/new players don't even know you can delete the mission and retake it to get a better location.  It seems this change is more geared for the older casuals that been in game longer and know about such features and use it to prevent from getting ganked by over vets. 

33 minutes ago, RedNeckMilkMan said:

Regardless, somehow I (and many others) managed to grind 3 times the amount of xp for max rank with no safe zones.

Yah by farming out side capitals a bunch of noobs right?  I mean how many thousands PvP marks you guys got?

18 minutes ago, Jim Broadreach said:

There are more Habors out there not only Charleston/KPR/Mort/Willem/Gust/Habana therer is a BIG-MAP in the NA-Menue where everybody can go out search a safer place to LvL-Ships where no big Ganksquads will appear.

My 2 cents

As much as my clan mates hate the location of our base, but I picked it for that reason. Nice big fleets come into the harbor that you can grind in safety of the green zone and protected from any ganking that you don't need to do missions.  I don't remember the last time I done a mission other than just to test out a 1 vs 1 of a ship against a like AI instead of waiting for ever for a like AI to show up, but with that there is not enough solo AI ships for solo players to farm so they have to do missions instead.

15 minutes ago, victor said:

you simply do not get it, right?

When you will be 200 players in PVP server maybe you will.

It honestly blows my mind they don't understand you got to give the sheep places to graze and grow so you can hunt them later.  To many wolves and not enough sheep is bad.  We need to get MORE sheep in games and to have a healthy server pop and we aren't doing things to do that.

10 minutes ago, RedNeckMilkMan said:

Why should I be ham-stringed on a PVP server by players that want immunity? If they don't want PVP then they have a PVE server. If they do want PVP then they are gonna have to make some concessions to the fact that they won't be safe 100% of the time. They massive safe zones when initially implemented were ridiculous and killed much of the trader hunting and general PVP. Now the Admins are drawing them back slightly and the PVE dudes are losing their minds.

I mean those 200 players are the only ones leaving the safe zone then there will be no difference. If a player spends 99% of his or her time in the safe zone then what are they doing on a PVP server? Even traders leave the safe zone.

Again this is not a PvP-ONLY SERVER, it's a PvP/PvE server....if you want to have something to fight you got to let the sheep grow and have there safe place.  Just about every other game has a very small PvP zones and very big PvE zones on there servers.  They do this to keep the player base happy and healthy.  Something this game doesn't do.  Look at POTBS you could only PvP in the red zones.  Which where caused by AGRO for port battles.  ALl the rest of the game was PvE only (with a few limits cause of pirates/privateers rules).  That game up till they turned it F2P actually was a very active and healthy game where you had a lot of fights nightly and PB's every couple of days.  You knew where to get the PvP cause it was a big red dot on the map.  You didn't have to hunt all over the place. In fact we keep on our server a certain area pretty much allways in the red zone in the center so we always had a place to go PvP.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Sir Texas Sir said:

Again this is not a PvP-ONLY SERVER, it's a PvP/PvE server....if you want to have something to fight you got to let the sheep grow and have there safe place.  Just about every other game has a very small PvP zones and very big PvE zones on there servers.  They do this to keep the player base happy and healthy.  Something this game doesn't do.  Look at POTBS you could only PvP in the red zones.  Which where caused by AGRO for port battles.  ALl the rest of the game was PvE only (with a few limits cause of pirates/privateers rules).  That game up till they turned it F2P actually was a very active and healthy game where you had a lot of fights nightly and PB's every couple of days.  You knew where to get the PvP cause it was a big red dot on the map.  You didn't have to hunt all over the place. In fact we keep on our server a certain area pretty much allways in the red zone in the center so we always had a place to go PvP.

It shouldn't be player resposibility to herd the sheep. Mechanics will fix this but none have been implemented

If you want to blame someone, blame the devs because it's their job to keep the players from killing the game for themselves. (ask any developer)

Edited by Slim McSauce

3 minutes ago, victor said:

LYou are the one that has just to shut up: you have been playing until ganiking was easy and left the game when it has become difficult. Now you come back since you smell easy ganking again.

I still play the game from time to time just not as much as I used to. Mostly because my clan is taking a break. We were playing sice sea trials staight so a break is nothing wrong. So pls don‘t tell me to shut up because you don‘t know me and how I play.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Pada said:

I still play the game from time to time just not as much as I used to. Mostly because my clan is taking a break. We were playing sice sea trials staight so a break is nothing wrong. So pls don‘t tell me to shut up because you don‘t know me and how I play.

I know perfectly who you are and how you played in the past. And you were one of the most known gankers. Period.

Edited by victor

Its amazing to see how many people dont realize that, unless you're on the PvE server, in order for someone to WIN, someone else has to LOSE....  the Devs have made it easier and easier for people to replace their lost PIXELS.  Yes, it MAY take some time to replace the PIXELS you have lost...  Isn't that one of the major points of actually playing the game?  

Why are so many people so averse to risk?  

Here's another idea for people to try...  its called "communication".  I spotted a snow in my Prince the other day and we immediately tagged each other after a few resets where we were both maneuvering for the best wind, so I knew that this person was going to be a good player.  It ended up being BloodyRaven, and we saluted each other as the load-in screen did its thing.  Both of us just wanted a decent fight after sailing around for probably too long.  I mentioned that I was just coming back after being out of the game for a month or so due to work and was going to be extremely rusty.  He immediately asked if I preferred to have a tap-out match instead of to the death.  Now, the reason, I use Princes is because they suit my play-style and are easy to replace.  Anyways, we had a great pitched battle where we both attempted to get the wind and slow each other down before we both decided to engage closer at roughly the same time.  Needless to say, he out-gunned me so I was forced to try and focus on one side to maximize damage.  Ultimately, he got the best of me and I gave him a salute, which he returned as he turned and sailed away....

Does losing a ship suck?

Yes.

Does playing a game where you have no emotional investment in it suck?

Yes.

Playing on a "Server that contains PvP" forces you to accept a minimal amount risk that you MAY lose your pixels.  Its part of playing any game, right?  God forbid you actually lose.  But think, the Devs already provide for mitigating that through a myriad of options including "Safe Zones", reinforcements, forts and ultimately the most important one that most people do not seem to use very much:  Communication.

You have the ability in this game to communicate with both friend and foe.  Use it.

And for God's sake...  STOP being so afraid to lose your ships!!!!!

• Like 6

Also, I believe the biggest fail design of NA is that they let new guys being exterminated by Vets right from the start. I would add Safety Flag that can be purchased and worn until players get to a proper Rank (4th rate). This game is suffering huge player base losses right every time new player is jumped and killed and sadly no one can see the problem here. 

Restrict trader ships and shift them to 4th rate rank (talking about cargo quantity). Have new guys chill with 500 cargo space until 4th rate rank to prevent alts from ruining the game. Why in the world you let new created alts sail 3000 cargo ships right from the start? Add missions and rank restriction before max cargo is unlocked. 

We will have new guys protected, trying new waters without risk and slowly adapting. Once they reach 4th rate rank remove safety and allow high cargo space trader ships. Easy?

Edited by Project Pluto
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, victor said:

I know perfectly who you are and how you played in the past. And you were one of the most known gankers. Period.

lol you can‘t be more from the truth buddy.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, The Marinadtor said:

You say that, and I can agree to a certain extent but it will not change that the in my opinion high probability that the player retention of the game will be worse and therefore will make the game less fun for all players because the servers will be slowly emptying.

It wont. sorry mate. Your logic is flawed, and here is why. 
There are two sides of the medal

1. Limited missions cancellations (position decided by admiralty)
  2. Unlimited missions (position decided by player)

Only one side could be right. 

You (and some others) say that limited mission will cause online to fall.
Using this logic we can infer that unlimited missions should cause online to go up. Which is definitely not true.

Everyone should understand this: this game tries to deliver a certain experience, but not everyone will like this experience. We have no desire to satisfy everyone.

Hunt in the OW, there are places where you dont even have to sail for 5 mins for constant non stop farming.
Leave capitals - there are plenty of bot chokepoints. 

But i will tell you this. Missions are not a final feature. They might not survive by release.

• Like 7

12 minutes ago, victor said:

You are the one that has just to shut up: you have been playing until ganiking was easy and left the game when it has become difficult. Now you come back since you smell easy ganking again.

LOL....  Pada, you bad boy....   have you started your infamous "solo ganking" again???   Naughty Naughty.   :rolleyes:

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Wraith said:

You will have an influx of, let's say optimistically, a few thousand players.  You'll have the 1000 or so vets that have stayed or will come back. Those thousand, as we've seen over and over again are worth 3-4 newer players against 1, especially when the gear path, organization, and knowledge of the meta comes into play, even post-wipe.  The new players will be farmed mercilessly with the new system and you will be back to the same 600 average EU time, 150-200 average American time players before you know it.

millions of rookies are farmed in PUBG mercilessly
All games die. all people die and all ships sink.

the sooner players realize that ship loss is nothing to worry about - the better.

• Like 10

1 hour ago, HachiRoku said:

Yeah because using prince's you cap circles in battles is so much fun... A solution is one circle. The reason 1 circle do not work in the old days is wind shifting again.. If wind shifting did not happen fleets that are defending will have to fight in one circle and be very careful not to sail to far downwind. 

Just like we got a warning about leeshore but people beached themselves because they were so careful and it was totally unexpected that this will happen.

3 minutes ago, admin said:

millions of rookies are farmed in PUBG mercilessly
All games die. all people die and all ships sink.

the sooner players realize that ship loss is nothing to worry about - the better.

pubg is a fast paced environment that is getting smaller and smaller, you have a vast world here. I would'n compare it. 

Edited by Project Pluto
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Sir Texas Sir said:

Yah by farming out side capitals a bunch of noobs right?  I mean how many thousands PvP marks you guys got?

It honestly blows my mind they don't understand you got to give the sheep places to graze and grow so you can hunt them later.  To many wolves and not enough sheep is bad.  We need to get MORE sheep in games and to have a healthy server pop and we aren't doing things to do that.

1) I got to max rank and unlocked all 5 slots of my Vic whilst being a very bad player through mostly PVE when there was more players and no safe zone. I personally do not "farm" capitals and mostly partake in RVR and the PVP cricle.

2) The issue is that I am a PVPer that is ok with players wanting to PVE but it seems there are PVEers that do not want to be subjected to PVP. They want all reward and no risk. Too bad. This is a PVP server (which means that players can kill other players, not that PVP is the only thing allowed to happen.) If they want to PVE in peace there are several ways to achieve that goal outlined in previous comments. But sorry, you most likely will not be 100% safe from being attacked by another player. If you want that then there is a PVE server in which players cannot attack you.

4 minutes ago, z4ys said:

Just like we got a warning about leeshore but people beached themselves because they were so careful and it was totally unexpected that this will happen.

It is not my problem that 90% of the server cannot sail. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Wraith said:

When I go out and kill off a bunch of new players who can't even manual sail and probably don't have the money to replace even the storebought ships + cannons + repairs they're in without a few full days of grinding... this isn't the same as dying and clicking respawn with exactly the same loadout and an even playing field with everyone else.

who's fault is that? 

Edited by Slim McSauce
  • Like 1