Game-Labs Forum

Forthcoming Patch 23. Hercules, Tutorial and Map teaser

Just now, RedNeckMilkMan said:

So you should have free reign to ruin other pvpers play experience by hiding in an imaginary safe zone just to make you feel good?

You're just showing you intelligence level now. If you can't or wont understand that this game needs more people to survive then you just keep trolling. I will not bother replying to someone just trolling like a child. It's a waste of time and effort

• Like 1

The main problem seems to be that players want to have their cake and eat it too. "I wan't to grind my top tier ship at max rank in complete safety." Sorry but now if you want completed safety you will have to tag AI fleets that sail in to the harbor. Or get lucky with a mission pull.

• Like 3

Its amazing to see how many people suddenly post here when something disturbs their little PvE only bubble on the PvP server, when all they have to do is open the eyes before entering a mission. You have to sail 20 minutes to your mission? To get PvP you have to sail much longer and sometimes wait for ages, while a ton of ships just ignore you and enter their PvE mission. On. A. PvP. Server.

Would be interesting to see a statistic about how many of the active players participated in any non PvE action. I bet its less than 10%.

• Like 6

31 minutes ago, rediii said:

I play since 07.2016 

Portbattles were a pain and it was a grind to kill someone. You repaired only when you were on 0% HP because it took ages to sink and people couldnt do more damage than 0%. With pumps you even waited a bit.

You needed around 10 broadsides into 1 agas side with a aga to sink it. Felt like nothing happened.

I wasnt as good as now ofc its a long time ago but still.

That was not the repairs fault. 

1 hour ago, Wraith said:

So why not give us better information (ship type, name, chat, fleet comp) as you get closer or through use of the spy glass?

ehm, that will be too realistic ? Wait I am confused now...

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, RedNeckMilkMan said:

I used to dislike the 3 circle system but I have come around. 1 circle seems like it will not work and it would involve very little strategy compared to PBs now.

Personally I would like some levolution style PB's i.e. destroy this fort now capture this point, now bombard the town etc.

There should be only one strategy. Destroy the enemy fleet. 

Just now, rediii said:

Sometimes the question comes to my mind that NA is too skillbased

I dont think its so hard. Manual sailing, angling and you win vs most of the players already.

Its just hard to practise, also with the potiential loss in the mind a lot of players play unneccassary scared. Thats why the skill level in this game is very low.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, rediii said:

1: go to another port

Not safe!

5: then do it with missions or fleets

8 minutes ago, Navalus Magnus said:

4. Missions: Might be on the other side of Cuba but almost certainly not in the safe zone (speaking of the new system).

5 minutes ago, rediii said:

Just accept the risk. Btw a noob will lose with a 5 xp slot ship vs a 0 xp slot player anytime. Its not worth grinding them

But some like to unlock all slots - it gives them a good feeling!

Imo the question is: What does the game gain by a limited cancellation mechanic?

What would you answer?

Just now, Navalus Magnus said:

Imo the question is: What does the game gain by a limited cancellation mechanic?

What would you answer?

Less max rank players doing nothing in the game.

Also there are literally ports that are ghost towns in game. Find one and grind out of it.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Wraith said:

So let's make it even more frustrating and less rewarding, especially for new players?  :rolleyes: It seems like most of the changes that the "testers" propose and bootlick for, and which get implemented because they're easy not because they're good, are designed around increasing PvP opportunities for wolves while making it harder for sheep to progress.  It seems extremely un-fun, one-dimensional, and with the chain/repair dynamics we will have one meta to rule them all, which greatly favors vets over casuals.  

Time will tell, of course, and testing is needed but I'm extremely disappointed in the removal of quality of life features (OW visibility, chat, mission choice, etc.) while increasing tools to enable ganking, etc. It seems unsustainable and likely to create a very short post-release population bump. :( 

It doesn't affect new players since their missions spawn closer to port. Just max rank player looking for easy cash.

• Like 1

Maybe we need some mechanics that forgive mistakes hachi? 

Sometimes the question comes to my mind that NA is too skillbased

Right now we have a split community over repairs. No one ever complained about having to few repairs in the past. It's not about mistakes. It's about the fact that the combat system works better if people are more careful and do not rely on repairing. If you dueled Mr Doran or Rakers in the past you would know what I mean. Maybe there are youtube battles. It was hardcore but really nice. 

• Like 4

Just now, Wraith said:

You and I both know that's not true for places like Charleston.  U.S. newbs will be pulling missions outside the green zone all the time.

Regardless, somehow I (and many others) managed to grind 3 times the amount of xp for max rank with no safe zones.

1 hour ago, admin said:

You can only see a top sail from 20 miles
You can judge a size of the ship by a top sail, but not a ship itself. 
One would argue that you cannot even judge the size of the fleet at all (if they are sailing in a line formation towards you). 

We know what we are taking out, but the visual recognition (especially in bad weather condition) will become a more integral part of the game and will bring both excitement AND frustration to OW combat - which is somewhat historical (given an abstract travel map) and this is the only way to implement this historical element: inability to exactly know who you are facing from 20 miles.

I agree with this comment, however, using the same logic, at 5 miles, you would know everything about a Ship/fleet.  Historically, you would often know the enemy Captain's name as well as his ship's capabilities.

Devs, regarding player identification in game: Why not supress it completely? You wil not know who the other guy/gal is until he/she decides to show ID or approaches within let's say 1km. Friends and foes alike, with maybe one sign in case he/she belongs to your clan. Maybe with an interface to agree or not agree to show IDs simultaneously.

And ships and fleets recognizable only by visual/spyglass is great.

Only in battle groups and battle instance you know who are the other guys involved with or against you, what ship they are in, and the rest we already have now.

Making PVE a nightmare will not give you your desired PVP punching bags, it will only kill the game.

If you want pvp to revive, make it enjoyable and make it rewarding. So tone down the modules (especially speed mods ffs) and give people decent rewards without "gank zone" of massive fleets. I'm sure this will be improved with coming admiralty rewards, but as is I really don't see this here is improving the game at all.

If I log on and don't have time to spend an hour solo hunting (realistically 2+ if you want to achieve anything worthwhile) or go do a new mission that has spawned in the middle of hello kitty knows where, I'll just log off...

Just now, RedNeckMilkMan said:

Less max rank players doing nothing in logging into the game.

fixed it for ya 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Capt Aerobane said:

Making PVE a nightmare will not give you your desired PVP punching bags, it will only kill the game.

If you want pvp to revive, make it enjoyable and make it rewarding. So tone down the modules (especially speed mods ffs) and give people decent rewards without "gank zone" of massive fleets. I'm sure this will be improved with coming admiralty rewards, but as is I really don't see this here is improving the game at all.

If I log on and don't have time to spend an hour solo hunting (realistically 2+ if you want to achieve anything worthwhile) or go do a new mission that has spawned in the middle of hello kitty knows where, I'll just log off...

fixed it for ya 

If they weren't leaving the safe zone then were they ever really there?

8 minutes ago, RedNeckMilkMan said:

Less max rank players doing nothing in the game.

Oh i think they are doing something!

They might be even into much more PvP if they had more time at hand (jobs ect.)!

Speaking for myself:

I'd love to have more time to participate in PvP and RvR but i don't have it!

... well sometimes i have enough to do PvP and RvR but that's been rare enough recently.

But i have the time to log on from time to time and do one or two missions with the bigger boats (3rd to 1st rates) because i like to sail them.

The possibility to do a mission in the safe zone just feels nice for a (forced to ) casual player like myself because it's quite ... well, safe there.

And as a casual player it matters if you lose a 1st rate or not!

Edited by Navalus Magnus
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, RedNeckMilkMan said:

If they weren't leaving the safe zone then were they ever really there?

You are so selfish that you think that other players should play just for your pleasure and not also for theirs. I have no doubt that if devs will go on developing the game to please players like you this game will end up in a total failure.

Edited by victor
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Navalus Magnus said:

Oh i think they are doing something!

They might be even into much more PvP if they had more time at hand (jobs ect.)!

Speaking for myself:

I'd love to have more time to participate in PvP and RvR but i don't have it!

... well sometimes i have enough to do PvP and RvR but that's been rare enough recently.

But i have the time to log on from time to time and do one or two missions with the bigger boats (3rd to 1st rates) because i like to sail them.

The possibility to do a mission in the safe zone just feels nice for a (forced to ) casual player like myself because it quite ... well, safe there.

People who shake in their boots at the thought of having to leave the safezone are not going to have an impact on the game. They will never learn to fight.

People need to understand that this is a game. If you seek enjoyment from slaying countless AI then hop on the PVE server. 

6 minutes ago, victor said:

You are so selfish that you think that other players should play just for your pleasure and not also for theirs. I have no doubt that if devs will go on developing the game to please players like you this game will end up in a total failure.

Nothing selfish about it. PVE players have their own server. If you want to PVP then come on down but you can't be afraid to lose a ship or two in the process. As the game stands now max rank players spend countless hours grinding AI in the safe zones on a PVP server. Now they can still do it after this patch but it will be riskier. 

Edited by RedNeckMilkMan