Jump to content
Game-Labs Forum
admin

Content plans for the first half of 2017

Recommended Posts

1 minute ago, z4ys said:

I guess it's because of the complains that pve player made while they got jumped by pvpler in their mission or on the way to it.

In my opinion it's a good step because it sets the focus back to OW. It's an OW game and not a mission based one. And it seems to me that people can still do a fix amount of daily missions (for people who have a limit amount of time) Mission add nothing to the games. They draw away player. It's a multiplayer game missions turn it into a singleplayer and missions make it a grind-fest.

There is nothing like this game for near-realistic age of sail combat and some ppl want to experience it in a single player game. I personally think we should have two different ranking xp systems: one for PvP-ers and one for PvE-ers so that ppl can't hide in PvE missions to rank up for OW PvP. We also seriously need player stat records. Every game today has this except for NA. :( 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, van der Decken said:

I personally think we should have two different ranking xp systems: one for PvP-ers and one for PvE-ers so that ppl can't hide in PvE missions to rank up for OW PvP.

It's not black and white, those who mainly do PvE sometimes also do PvP, and vica versa.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, PolishMartyr said:

Do the devs have a 3d modeler and designer or do they hire freelance? 

Doesn't matter.  Either way, you have to pay someone to generate new ships.  It costs money.

The kickstarter will allow people to put their money where their mouth is.  If they really want a ship (or certain ships of a nation) badly enough, they can pay to have those ships added to the game.  GL doesn't have to rely on new sales to fund new ship development, and they don't have to sweat paying modelers for ships that may not generate new revenue in game sales.

With regards to Constitution - you have a complete, working ship in the game.  Maybe its model isn't as good as some of the later ships, but that's it. It's in the game and working fine.  If you want a more snazzy Connie, then enough people will have to be willing to plonk down some money for her.  There's no harm in everyone saying "no" and not paying for it - but Connie is already in game as promised.  Promise made, promise kept.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, kumisz said:

It's not black and white, those who mainly do PvE sometimes also do PvP, and vica versa.

Indeed, as I do, but I don't think my PvE XP should count toward OW XP (PvP and PBs)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Henry d'Esterre Darby said:

Doesn't matter.  Either way, you have to pay someone to generate new ships.  It costs money.

The kickstarter will allow people to put their money where their mouth is.  If they really want a ship (or certain ships of a nation) badly enough, they can pay to have those ships added to the game.  GL doesn't have to rely on new sales to fund new ship development, and they don't have to sweat paying modelers for ships that may not generate new revenue in game sales.

With regards to Constitution - you have a complete, working ship in the game.  Maybe its model isn't as good as some of the later ships, but that's it. It's in the game and working fine.  If you want a more snazzy Connie, then enough people will have to be willing to plonk down some money for her.  There's no harm in everyone saying "no" and not paying for it - but Connie is already in game as promised.  Promise made, promise kept.

The traslation of that is in the future will we pay for new ships added to game? Just for clarification.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, kumisz said:

It's not black and white, those who mainly do PvE sometimes also do PvP, and vica versa.

 

7 minutes ago, van der Decken said:

There is nothing like this game for near-realistic age of sail combat and some ppl want to experience it in a single player game. I personally think we should have two different ranking xp systems: one for PvP-ers and one for PvE-ers so that ppl can't hide in PvE missions to rank up for OW PvP. We also seriously need player stat records. Every game today has this except for NA. :( 

The new admiralty systems described in the admin's post might be a step in that direction: earn some PVP achievement before being allowed to command a frigate or a SOL, etc. and other PVP content. 

Edited by Serk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, van der Decken said:

Indeed, as I do, but I don't think my PvE XP should count toward OW XP (PvP and PBs)

But say me, as mainly a PvE guy, have an itch for PvP and decide to sail out to enemy waters, do not want to do so with a basic cutter, or a 6th rate.

 

Or if a PvE-guy trader wants to sail to a far away port to bring some expensive stuff to trade, needs to be able to crew his indiaman without forcing him to do PvP to be able to do so.

Edited by kumisz

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, fremen said:

The traslation of that is in the future will we pay for new ships added to game? Just for clarification.

I can't say yes or no to that question at this time (the moderators don't know the answer to that question). I think the results of this first Kickstarter will be used to establish the answer to that question.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, Serk said:

I just find pirates as a nation to be redundant with other nationals. If you  are into regular RVR, just join a regular nation. If you  are a lone wolf type into privateering, then pirate it is.

It is just a suggestion, but it could be worth a try to give them one region as capital (kidd's harbour, that could be the only place to craft Pirate Refit ships, giving pirates an alternative source of income by selling those ships to nationals) and let them operate from free towns.

If this make it too difficult to gather resources, they could be allowed to raid nation owned regions for ressources but not conquer them?

This would surely have a negative impact on the numbers of players choosing so sail under the black flag, but those staying would be remembered by their real name, fame, and feared ;) (allow them to design they own personal ensign from different presets if need be!)

Food for thought.

I still think it would work better if they made them Privateers instead of Pirates for the nation tag.  Than give them voting like the nations do but that voting is for which nation they work for as Privateers.   Clans member votes will be tally up and for that cycle the clan is Privateers for that nation.  This way they can change out and help different nations depending on the current war and politics.  While you are a privateer you can us that nations resources, but none of there alliances.     This will give you one nation that can be the swing in the fight as it's members can join and help any other nation so they fill in the void that is left open by the smaller nations.

I agree Kidd's should be the capital.  Make Mort like how Pitt's was and a neutral town/region for all nations since it's so central.  This way no matter what all nations have a few ports they can do some basic econ out of.  

"OUTLAWS" Will be any one that doesn't want to join a nation as a privateer and these will be a traditional Pirate per say since most pirates where just privateers without a job/contract cause there was no wars going on.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, admin said:
  • American ship pack Kickstarter event.

     

    • We constantly receive requests to improve USS Constitution to the level of new ships like Endymion. Constitution was the second ship we built in NA. To make it happen we will arrange a Kickstarter to fund this project. The Kickstarter will also contain additional US based ships on stretch goals. If this event is successful we will set up such events for other underrepresented national vessels too.

 

While I like the sound of the remodelling of the USS constitution is it really necessary that we have even more US ships? this game almost has a far over representation of the US navy and it would be a shame to focus time and effort on this project while there are so many other totally unrepresented nations and ship types currently lacking from the game. I would much rather see campaigns to see a much broader scope of ships than more from the USA, before long this game will end up having the entire early US fleet modelled, which seems a bit crazy judging how small and, and apart from their 6 super frigates, pretty insignificant the US navy was. I hope others agree but I would much prefer to see some more ships for Denmark Norway, The Dutch, Portugal and the Italian states see entry into the game than too many more US ships, while you can never have enough ships, comparatively we should really focus on the unrepresented nations a little more.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Fluffy Fishy said:

While I like the sound of the remodelling of the USS constitution is it really necessary that we have even more US ships? this game almost has a far over representation of the US navy and it would be a shame to focus time and effort on this project while there are so many other totally unrepresented nations and ship types currently lacking from the game. I would much rather see campaigns to see a much broader scope of ships than more from the USA, before long this game will end up having the entire early US fleet modelled, which seems a bit crazy judging how small and, and apart from their 6 super frigates, pretty insignificant the US navy was. I hope others agree but I would much prefer to see some more ships for Denmark Norway, The Dutch, Portugal and the Italian states see entry into the game than too many more US ships, while you can never have enough ships, comparatively we should really focus on the unrepresented nations a little more.

Then prepare your wallet. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They could skip kickstart.

Those ships that are not going to get in before launch, will come later.

After launch, add subscription for +X% of gold/xp from everything.  Depending from popularity, this could be enough to fund the game.  If it is not, then make kickstart.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, admin said:

Bots will change and will start changing from January. Privateers will be added to the OW attacking players and traders in enemy waters. Elite NPC captains will also sail around and join battles from time to time (like before release

I seem to remember this in the past and I also remember it messing up well planned battles for ports and also messing up OW battles on a regular basis infuriating the community.

Almost every time I've screened at Trinidad there is a few big first rate AI fleets getting in the way, god only knows the shitstorm it would cause if they could initiate a battle. 

Please proceed with caution on this one. Generally they just get in the bloody way for no apparent gain. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Overall solid roadmap considering what the developers want, for sure, with a bit of our suggestions.

It has it all and shows a move away from the established comfort.

Very pleased on the Admiralty  news ( it is probably one of the oldest ideas tied to OW ) and on the AI specials roaming about aggressively and acting upon players.

Conquest will ease down to a manageable system after we went to zenith which, for certain, would require way more participation and less exploitation so a step back to friendly zone is a good move. .

If we look also to the crafting changes listed on the November 2nd thread we are onto a good first half of 2017

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Hethwill said:

Overall solid roadmap considering what the developers want, for sure, with a bit of our suggestions.

It has it all and shows a move away from the established comfort.

Very pleased on the Admiralty  news ( it is probably one of the oldest ideas tied to OW ) and on the AI specials roaming about aggressively and acting upon players.

Conquest will ease down to a manageable system after we went to zenith which, for certain, would require way more participation and less exploitation so a step back to friendly zone is a good move. .

If we look also to the crafting changes listed on the November 2nd thread we are onto a good first half of 2017

 

Speaking of which would be nice to know the update on this patch as it was what Dec/Jan and now we are nearing end of Jan.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote


We constantly receive requests to improve USS Constitution to the level of new ships like Endymion. Constitution was the second ship we built in NA. To make it happen we will arrange a Kickstarter to fund this project. The Kickstarter will also contain additional US based ships on stretch goals. If this event is successful we will set up such events for other underrepresented national vessels too.[/*]


 
*pays to play the game, has to pay to get ship tweaks/rebalanced and new ships added to the game* lmao, theyve lost their mind.

Edited by D.Devil

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Regarding Assault Flags - Bad news bears.

I for one need either more clarification on how this is going to be implemented "without the exploitation", or my interest in the game will wane drastically. I much prefer the hostility system as-is to the old assault flags as previously-implemented. So much so that I think I'll write up a suggestion thread about how to improve and adjust the current system right [here - coming soon]. The general premise, however, is that (assuming missions go away, see below) attacking NPCs on the OW should still count toward Hostility gains/reduction (just as it does with players), and to add a blockade mechanic that, after a certain time being dead-stopped within ship-sight of a county capital, will begin building/dropping hostility slowly over time with the intent that it will draw players to that area to defend it. Having specific, two-hour port timer windows is quite stupid, but battle windows should be adjusted closer to prime times for EU and US servers (ideally 1700-0500 for US, 1200-00:00 for EU, 12-hour windows from 12pm to 12am).

Regarding Missions - Mixed Feelings.

On one hand, I side with the individuals stating that just going out to plink at some NPCs in a nearby mission for a half hour or so when time is limited is a good thing, and missions should not go away. On the other hand, I also agree that the current hostility missions are crap for "Promoting PvP" as originally-advertised because they've lost the element of PvP-promotion that was pitched - long open battle timers. In fact, I would say double the visible range of hostility mission markers and keep them open indefinitely until the battle itself ends. 

Raids sound pretty sweet and could easily be a replacement for the old assault flag system. A successful raid on a county capital might make hostility jump by 20-25% and double the normal gains for hostility for the next 24 hours (or until the next raid).

Regarding pirate mechanics - Pretty neat overall

Totally okay with the proposed changes here, with the potential exceptions of smugglers. Take a look at my politics system suggestion in "End Alliances" for some details on how this could work and still encourage trade with neutral/peaceful non-allied nations while not preventing fighting between those same nations on the OW.

Regarding Officers - Fair and makes sense

Perhaps the Captain would be used for battle-related perks, while the Officer would handle crafting/trading/hauling-related perks?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, D.Devil said:


 
*pays to play the game, has to pay to get ship tweaks/rebalanced and new ships added to the game* lmao, theyve lost their mind.

Listen to yourself. No one is forcing you to pay anything. lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Ned Loe said:

Listen to yourself. No one is forcing you to pay anything. lol

never said anyone is forcing me/us to pay, however, to get shit tweaked and rebalanced they want to start a kickstarter to fund the project or else it doesnt happen. outrageous i say :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@D.Devil

Sir,

That is not a correct informed interpretation of what is written.

There are ships that need attention from modelers and other artists, to be in game. I can see that the Kickstarter is more of a "crowdfunding" of extra content seeing that we are always eager to have more ship models in game.

Kickstarter option asks you.... Do you want more ship models !?

As far as it goes the game is solid with the models we have. Truth be told the USS Constitution needs attention, a lot of it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, D.Devil said:

never said anyone is forcing me/us to pay, however, to get shit tweaked and rebalanced they want to start a kickstarter to fund the project or else it doesnt happen. outrageous i say :)

Show me where you see it?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Ned Loe said:

Show me where you see it?

9 hours ago, admin said:
  • We constantly receive requests to improve USS Constitution to the level of new ships like Endymion. Constitution was the second ship we built in NA. To make it happen we will arrange a Kickstarter to fund this project. The Kickstarter will also contain additional US based ships on stretch goals. If this event is successful we will set up such events for other underrepresented national vessels too.

doesnt that say to get the connie rebalanced to compete with the endy they need the project funded through kickstarter? doesnt that say to get new ships added of a particulair nation we will have to reach said goal to get them added to the game? so basically if we choose not to fund the project the tweaks, rebalancing and ships we'd like see added to the game doesnt get added/changed? to me it very much seems like thats wat theyre saying

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, D.Devil said:

doesnt that say to get the connie rebalanced to compete with the endy they need the project funded through kickstarter? doesnt that say to get new ships added of a particulair nation we will have to reach said goal to get them added to the game? so basically if we choose not to fund the project the tweaks, rebalancing and ships we'd like see added to the game doesnt get added/changed? to me it very much seems like thats wat theyre saying

 

Its all about adding new ships or changing the visiual lvl of detail of old ships to the new standard which the endymion has.

(compare the rigging of the constitution with the endymion and you will see that the consti could need some love)

Balancing and tweaks are not bound to kickstarter.

Edited by z4ys

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It says to bring the looks up to high standard visual levels

Quote

We constantly receive requests to improve USS Constitution to the level of new ships like Endymion. Constitution was the second ship we built in NA. To make it happen we will arrange a Kickstarter to fund this project. The Kickstarter will also contain additional US based ships on stretch goals. If this event is successful we will set up such events for other underrepresented national vessels too.

EDIT: Thanks Z4ys

 

Seems all is clear :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, D.Devil said:

doesnt that say to get the connie rebalanced to compete with the endy they need the project funded through kickstarter? doesnt that say to get new ships added of a particulair nation we will have to reach said goal to get them added to the game? so basically if we choose not to fund the project the tweaks, rebalancing and ships we'd like see added to the game doesnt get added/changed? to me it very much seems like thats wat theyre saying

 

It is about rebuilding the 3d model to the level of the newer models. Some people will pay extra for that, you don't have to.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×