Game-Labs Forum

Second rate - Pavel in game screenies

Bart Smith

@ Chromey

She looks like a big two decker in the screen shots

The top deck max guns are 9 lbs the screen shots don't clearly show then on the quarter deck are another 2 9lb cannon or caronades 24lb max

Middle deck is 24lbs

Lower Deck is 32lbs

I like her looks a lot she looks fast and lean it will be interesting to sail her later today.

I like the way she sails - seems more maneuverable than a vic or a bel and that's with me being undercrewed - she's also pretty

I have 2 permanent optimized rudders, and that was my impression.  She seems faster than the Bellona too, but I don't have that confirmed.  I put carronades on the top deck (2 guns each side) and I am thinking that was a mistake.

I've a history question here: Did the Russians design St. Pavel completely by themselves, or were they influenced by the the French Tonnants? Because I've been comparing the two designs (via Threedecks.org and Wikipedia), and they're both large two-deckers; both about the same size (give or take a few feet/meters), from what I can tell; both with a similar number of guns; and lastly, the in-game St. Pavel has a very similar stern to that of Bucentaure (the Bucentaure class, of course, being a modification of the Tonnant class). It just got me curious, since I'd thought St. Pavel was shorter than Bucentaure, and once I looked that up, I began to notice how similar the designs were.  

Edited by Arvenski

Did the Russians design St. Pavel completely by themselves, or were they influenced by the the French Tonnants? 

I don't think so. The french designed and built ships for the Ottomans, their influence on the russian shipbuilding was minimal. Besides, looks like St. Paul was just a development of a previous ship "Iosif II" built by the same shipbuilder Afanasiev, launched in 1787. (Tonnant was launched in 1789) The stern does look similar. Maybe an overall tendency?

Still, it makes me wonder how Bucentaure and St. Pavel are going to be different in-game, unless the devs differentiate them via an artificial stat like hitpoints. (Not that they have to be different, though. The more ships the merrier, even if some are pretty similar to each other.) 

Edited by Arvenski

I don't think so. The french designed and built ships for the Ottomans, their influence on the russian shipbuilding was minimal. Besides, looks like St. Paul was just a development of a previous ship "Iosif II" built by the same shipbuilder Afanasiev, launched in 1787. (Tonnant was launched in 1789) The stern does look similar. Maybe an overall tendency?

France has built ships for Russia. Engineers went to Russia with the Borda-Sané plans 118-gun ships.

Between 1794 and 1799 four ships are built, one 74-gun, two 80-gun and one 120-gun. Perhaps other ships, I don't know.

Still, it makes me wonder how Bucentaure and St. Pavel are going to be different in-game, unless the devs differentiate them via an artificial stat like hitpoints. (Not that they have to be different, though. The more ships the merrier, even if some are pretty similar to each other.) 

One can give more HP, different speed and maneuverability.

I have been debating putting carronades on the decks that have 9lbers (if you can on the 10 deck?) I wonder what the damage output would be like having 12 carronades.

IIRC you can only put carronades on the top deck. 

Broadside is 15 (32), 14 (24), 10 (9), 2 (9/24) = 924 with cannons, 954 with 2 carronades.   (Bellona is 897 with cannons)

This ship looks menacing, like a black and white bee or wasp.

Here's a pic with better lighting

CH0oAc5.jpg

Edited by Prater

Got a chance to take her out tonight, loved it.  Flag Captain with masterwork hammocks, crew comes out to 508, handles fairly well for being 300 crew shy, the 9lbers reload nice and fast so your always putting out damage, the larger caliber decks take some time, but it was fun to go from a consti to a real SOL.  10/10 would buy again.

Does anyone have data about her real life?

I wonder about crew compliment.

Ingame 850. Which seems a lot to me. Bucentaure class had 840 men and bigger guns.

Pavel: 32/24/9/9 [vs.] Buc: 32/24/12 (french 36s actually)

I didnt find anything related to her yet. Maybe someone can help me out?

I suspect her reduction from 18pdr to 6pdr on the QC/FC in 1798 was done with good reason. Some armaments are failed experiments. Given she carried 6s from 1798, overarmament to 9s seems reasonable without having to account for more extreme negative effects.

1-pood Edinorog ("Unicorn") is a short gun / howitzer equivalent to 56.7 English Pounds in terms of solid shot. 1 pood is litterally 40 Russian trade pounds, but the size was increased to 44 Russian trade pounds in 1780 without changing the designation. These weights are referencing weight of shell rather than shot.