Game-Labs Forum

Beat to quarters: Port battles return to War Server

admin

50 minutes ago, Hethwill said:

You and several others already asked those. I'm curious about the weight myself. 

30 minutes advance warning might be enough ?! I'm sure every important port for your Clan is a naval base, right ? So good fighting ships at hand there. Also the clan owner sets the timer according to when they can defend any aggression ?! 

I guess developers will gather more data on the follow up days.

What damage will be caused by this half arsed flag mechanic though in the next few days. Any reputable games company wouldn’t even consider implementing these Willy nilly changes especially without testing it on a test server.

Just now, ChineseBatman said:

What damage will be caused by this half arsed flag mechanic though in the next few days. Any reputable games company wouldn’t even consider implementing these Willy nilly changes especially without testing it on a test server.

Thanks for coming out :) You were never interested in a frank honest discussion of the mechanics.

Like water unto stone. One drop at a time.

46 minutes ago, Hethwill said:

Thanks for coming out :) You were never interested in a frank honest discussion of the mechanics.

Like water unto stone. One drop at a time.

That’s the point, their is no reciprocation of frank honest discussions. We are given little info. And expected to be happy 😂 and you can’t tell me that anyone in their right mind would of considered the flag conquest mission we tested anywhere near better than pre alpha level quality mechanics. So many problems that you can foresee from it. Hence my post listing what I see to be issues. 

Edited by ChineseBatman

9 hours ago, Nixolai said:

who is attacking the french?

Just have a look on the map, what type of wood is spawning in the main French crafting port. And get to your own conclusions.

16 hours ago, ChineseBatman said:

It was broken

Overall

We are very happy about the flag and how it works after we tested it. Flag implementation fixes all Alt/hostility exploits that were present previously in hostility missions or flags or a flag, and take some risk and effort to acquire

We are very pragmatic. We are not striving to be perfect, we can just be better than before. Just like the exit timer or future karma system, flag is to solve exploits - but surprisingly it also makes RvR better than before. 

Time to respond

• Time to respond is not different from hostility missions, but is a somewhat better due to warnings and sudden death (golden goal). You have more time to react than before and can end it in one correct shot.
  • As before organized attack by multiple clans will require multiple clans to defend, and other nations can interfere in the process (sinking flag carriers or helping them or placing their own flag to stop the attack). But its somewhat easier as you have clear targets (flag carriers) to stop the hostility.
  • It will be beneficial for clans to redraw the map around important ports and capture enemy ports that are too close to your national ports (allowing short fast flag placement without any travel)
  • The timer (warm up timer before flag starts ticking) and time to set up hostility can be adjusted in the future.

Weight

• Weight will remain and we allow light ships to be used for flag carry. light ships give you speed but can be one shotted once cornered due to 2500m circle. Tactics will emerge over time and anyone can predict that nations will most likely settle on super heavy fleets as circle of death will allow you to corner any fast ship if you have 3 vessels. + Nations will recruit other clans for diversions and placing diversion flags. 
  • Like 3

21 minutes ago, Sparkydog said:

Will this new mechanic really eliminate screening and griefing? Won’t the attacking nation with the flag mission try to screen out defenders and keep them in battle until the mission is complete?  I guess we will see.

Its harder to keep people in battles with the new tag. Its possible but harder.

In my opinion, great update RvR-wise (we will see if majority likes it these days though). But if you really want to make RvR great again, please introduce incentives for people to join the smaller nations... currently everyone joins Russia as it's CONVENIENT, and also they're the only ones that have a port (or actually, not one, but THREE) with Hull 4 Sailing 4 Crew 4 Gunnery 4, which requires a lot of players to grind...

We need incentives to join small nations, not incentives to join the big ones. What incentives? I don't frankly know... but you need to acknowledge this is a problem and has to be fixed as soon as possible. 

P.S. having the PB transport item cost 50k+ doubs is another way to favour the rich clans (casually, mostly in Russia and Sweden) to use the item, while others can't simply afford it.

How about you put the item for a cheaper price, the smaller the nation is? Shouldn't be exploitable if not tradable, yet makes it easier for little nations that, currently, struggle.

Edited by Comrade FrosT
  • Like 10

23 minutes ago, Comrade FrosT said:

We need incentives to join small nations, not incentives to join the big ones. What incentives? I don't frankly know... but you need to acknowledge this is a problem and has to be fixed as soon as possible. 

Similar to other games Cost/Reward system. Higher the nation population, higher the cost and less rewards. Russian player wants to redeem his Redoubt that comes at an additional cost in reals.  Port taxes considerably higher.  The values could adjust daily. 

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, Comrade FrosT said:

P.S. having the PB transport item cost 50k+ doubs is another way to favour the rich clans (casually, mostly in Russia and Sweden) to use the item, while others can't simply afford it.

How about you put the item for a cheaper price, the smaller the nation is? Shouldn't be exploitable if not tradable, yet makes it easier for little nations that, currently, struggle.

if the group is 25 ships then the price is not really high as its 2000 per ship to avoid screening
we are not fully settled on the transport and price might go higher as in the process of making the transport to battle we have changed the tag mechanic

12 minutes ago, admin said:

if the group is 25 ships then the price is not really high as its 2000 per ship to avoid screening
we are not fully settled on the transport and price might go higher as in the process of making the transport to battle we have changed the tag mechanic

So you're asking us to make people pay a fee in Doubloons to join port battles? Definitely not a way to get more players involved... by the way a PB is rarely 25 players.. for 5k it's 13 players and they're the most affordable hence most played by small nations.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Urchin said:

Similar to other games Cost/Reward system. Higher the nation population, higher the cost and less rewards. Russian player wants to redeem his Redoubt that comes at an additional cost in reals.  Port taxes considerably higher.  The values could adjust daily. 

Totally agree

1 hour ago, Urchin said:

Sounds plausible. We have no mechanics that consider the amount of players in a nation. Could encourage to join a smaller nation ... maybe then player numbers balance?

43 minutes ago, mikawa said:

Sounds plausible. We have no mechanics that consider the amount of players in a nation. Could encourage to join a smaller nation ... maybe then player numbers balance?

This is an open discussion. Upvote!!

On 6/24/2020 at 7:18 PM, admin said:

Captains

Port battles are ready to return to War Server Thursday 25th of June!

Port battles are enabled on War Server (pvp server)

Improvements

• Added flag expiry - currently set at 7 days. Flag will become useless in 7 days after its initial capture
    • Ability to trade in the flags to the admiralty will be added in the near future. Even expired flags can be traded in.
  • Conquest flag Instance visibility
    • Added some distance between instances with conquest flag battles (indicated by swords) even if they are placed near each other to remove ability to hide instances from enemies (like happened with hostility missions)
    • Slightly raised the flags above sea for better visibility
  • Returned the message from clerk on successful placement of flag
  • Flags now drop from heavy Home defense fleets (10% drop rate)
  • Increased the number of first rates in Home defense fleets by 2

Current flags and conquest test chests will be removed from player accounts

Seeferkel last log can now drop from Admiral and Captain's chest

These are not improvements. The "improvements" you list there do nothing but incentivise moving to large nations at the detriment of smaller nations. It's already hard enough to get numbers for home defense fleets as it is in smaller nations, but now we get 1 flag per fleet (10% drop chance, just over 10 ships per fleet) so we have to hit ~5 fleets per week just to do port battles (and we need more players). Way to take a fun mechanic and turn it into yet another large nation advantageous chore of a grind...

We have to defend our ports too, so when will we have time to grind these? Ridiculous...

At least only have expiry for top 3 nations or something...

Edited by Isaac J Smith
  • Like 1

Sorry Admin but this an absolutely terrible patch. Most players that do RvR HATE farming HDFs. Now you're saying we all must constantly farm them to be able to RvR? 
It's like you're purposely trying to kill the game with such an update. Probably the worst update I've ever seen deployed in this game. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Never said:

Sorry Admin but this an absolutely terrible patch. Most players that do RvR HATE farming HDFs. Now you're saying we all must constantly farm them to be able to RvR? 
It's like you're purposely trying to kill the game with such an update. Probably the worst update I've ever seen deployed in this game. 

i still find it strange that they want players to kill the hdf's since they were introduced so people wouldnt farm new players close to capitals

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, SeaBrig said:

i still find it strange that they want players to kill the hdf's since they were introduced so people wouldnt farm new players close to capitals

You don't sink whole HDF in fir-fir speedboat ships designed to hunt newbs ;)

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Never said:

Most players that do RvR HATE farming HDFs. 

We totally understand that. 
But thats the only way to get the proof that the person placing the flag is not an alt and REALLY worked and risked something in a group.
We do not believe in magical ethical unicorns and prefer pragmatic working solutions. 
Attacking and sinking hard non-negotiating NPCs in risky zones is the only way to 100% guarantee effort (and not using alts)

• Like 4