Game-Labs Forum

Timber Feedback Thread - PINNED

34 minutes ago, Victor Hugues said:

Are you sure about the fair distribution of rare woods ?

- British and Dutch have the best woods (greenheart, rangoon teak and african oak, african teak) that appear in their IMPREGNABLE capital.

- French and Swedish have very good woods, but in their strategic port ( Bridgetown and Oraniestad), which will attract greeds.

- Americans and Russians only have common wood (live oak and white oak), but good for PB.

- Spanish have none, not even a poor italian larch. Not easy for them.

less national bias pls

But I do agree...

On 6/19/2020 at 7:04 PM, z4ys said:

In my opinion...

• timbers should randomly spawn on the map and schould stay at a location for a short amout of rl days before chaniging location (it could give regions where specific woods would spawn more often so people have a rough idea where to look for those woods)
  • maybe let tradeships drop hints where to find those woods ( a trading shiplog where xy woods was last seen)
  • no api loaction data for this woods pls
  • They should be considered as crafting good and no contracts should be allowed
  • no spawning of those woods within a HDF area (or close to one)

What I like:

• woods now have pro and cons
  • old woods are somewhat kept (make players happy)
Edited by z4ys
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, z4ys said:
  • timbers should randomly spawn on the map and schould stay at a location for a short amout of rl days before chaniging location (it could give regions where specific woods would spawn more often so people have a rough idea where to look for those woods)

I like this idea.

While the randomness would be frustrating, it would be equally frustrating to everyone. There would be no way to camp the woods and if a port isn't visited, the wood would just sit there waiting for a buyer.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Eduard L'Aquila said:

I like this idea.

While the randomness would be frustrating, it would be equally frustrating to everyone. There would be no way to camp the woods and if a port isn't visited, the wood would just sit there waiting for a buyer.

Equally frustrating to everyone isn't a positive thing. 🤦‍♂️

Why cant we farm the new woods like we do with all other woods? RNG spawn points and amount is just going to frustrate everyone that cant spend their entire day in game.

We already have a system that works. Woods like Teak and WO cost more LH to farm and are being produced more slowly compared to Oak or Fir for example. 

New woods could just cost even more LH and have an even lower production that what Teak or WO have.

Edited by Henry Long Castle
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Sea Archer said:

The new timbers should only be possible to get from ai traders, then everyone has the chance to get them and players have get out of their comfort zone to find them.

introducing even more PvE to the game should hardly be the answer.

37 minutes ago, Never said:

Equally frustrating to everyone isn't a positive thing. 🤦‍♂️

Selectively frustrating to some is much worse. Because is counted double.

Else... just let the discoveries happen and don't enforce them. Problem solved, no frustration. Seems to me some captains are too much into the "farming" and "grinding" to enjoy actual gameplay.

Edited by Cetric de Cornusiac
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Cetric de Cornusiac said:

Selectively frustrating to some is much worse. Because is counted double.

Else... just let the discoveries happen and don't enforce them. Problem solved, no frustration. Seems to me some captains are too much into the "farming" and "grinding" to enjoy actual gameplay.

Point was, better to add features that are fun and frustrating to none. Sailing around ports looking for woods every week is interesting quality gameplay to you? 

30 minutes ago, Comrade Question said:

Kind of sucks for those who spent a lot to get their ship stats a specific way. Too late now, but it would have been nice for all 'current' ships to be marked as 'legacy' or something and their stats not be adjusted, only future built ships would get adjusted to the woods.

+100000000000000000000

On 6/21/2020 at 5:56 AM, Redman29 said:

- Seasoned Woods. The gap between seasoned and non seasoned woods has decreased which I am all in favor of. In regards to Teak and White Oak the gap has been reduced by half. With Live Oak, Cag, and Sabicu the gap has been reduced by a third. However, seasoning logs is still extremely expensive and 3000 labour hours equate to 70 seasoned logs. I would recommend decreasing the labour hours per seasoned logs by half as this will make crafting seasoned logs much more efficient and worthwhile. 

I would say the problem is not that you can make 70 daily, but the fact that for those logs you abandon crafting of everything else. Limit the shead process ability to some fixed amount and you keep your supply with Labour Hours to spend on other things

16 minutes ago, BoatyMcBoatFace said:

can we now get say 20% reduction in labor hours for seasoning? 

42 hours per log of teak is abysmal.... just an example

considering the changes to the woods

Add to that the weight of the tools. Why was it increased to 100?

One click on a DLC ship and I might get hundreds of seasoned logs. Is this fair for non-dlc owners?

7 hours ago, Victor Hugues said:

Are you sure about the fair distribution of rare woods ?

- British and Dutch have the best woods (greenheart, rangoon teak and african oak, african teak) that appear in their IMPREGNABLE capital.

- French and Swedish have very good woods, but in their strategic port ( Bridgetown and Oraniestad), which will attract greeds.

- Americans and Russians only have common wood (live oak and white oak), but good for PB.

- Spanish have none, not even a poor italian larch. Not easy for them.

US has Italian Lurch, long Leaf Pine, Live Oak and New England Fir

Russia has White Oak, but they own all the copper and tar ports and majority of the 55 point ports and major econ hubs.....I'm sure they can afford to buy woods from others or just use there alts.

Spanish I do agree kinda getting screwed but they are almost as dead as Poland.

My only dislike of the new woods:

The current way of how the new woods are distributed/bought benefits alt owners that placed them all around the map so they cant place contracts everywhere in the safety/almost safety of the HDF.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Never said:

Point was, better to add features that are fun and frustrating to none. Sailing around ports looking for woods every week is interesting quality gameplay to you? 

oh yes, I went around in trader lynx and it was fun anticipating what next port would bring... and if breaking up would produce any exotic timber at all ... which is another problem :)

... then came wise devs and canceled the fun... even no more seasoned woods to be found on port shop offers.

(as I heard there are even players who collect... fish... all sorts of species in game... so I consider myself still quite sane... :D )

Edited by Cetric de Cornusiac

2 hours ago, Montagnes said:

Add to that the weight of the tools. Why was it increased to 100?

One click on a DLC ship and I might get hundreds of seasoned logs. Is this fair for non-dlc owners?

tools at least u can get around by making them in port you season, as long as port can give you coal and iron

4 hours ago, BoatyMcBoatFace said:

per the rules of game and steam, an alt is the same as a player with full rights. you cannot make things to hinder them

If all players have the same mechanic, the alt is just another player you are right. There's nothing to hinder them.

No contracts and spawning at different ports every day or so is equal chance of opportunity for all nations, all players.

id argue that no contracts benefits players who can be there physically more so. that's why people are trying to make it trade good so that select few can as usual camp the port. we see this still even with the randomized trade drops to address that issue.. the same people still camp and buy most because that is literally what they do

contracts makes it expensive for them and also forces them to reveal who they are (they really do not like that). because they just want it themselves to resell. thats what it is all about at the end.

if any of what i said makes any sense

Trade good or contract really doesn't matter either way. 

The same players that pay extremely high prices for these new woods are the same players who camp ports to begin with to get trade goods. That's the reason they can afford to pay those prices to begin with. 

Moving the goods around and making the spawn spawn port random will not solve things. The same players as I said above will be the ones with the time to move and get the goods.

In my opinion the only true way to increase the supply to players is to expand the number of ports that drop it. It will decrease the concentration of players camping a single port and potentially lower the cost somewhat (however with my NA experience not much if at all). 

• Like 4

Maybe i'm wrong but i interpret the new woods as not being "ease of access" or "increased supply".

Plain woods being extremely easy and abundant, seasoned being fairly difficult albeit abundant, new woods being rare and hard to come by.

While it is true about the port camping, how can you camp a port where in the next maintenance there might be no drop ? This coming from suggestions pointing to no fixed ports dropping them but different random ports every day.

Granted, more sailing for all accounts, alts or not. More risk to all accounts, alts or not, given the ships might get intercepted. But being intercepted means no loss, just that the woods been acquired by the enemy by different means.

• Like 3

There will be a timber update this week
The philosophy will remain

Oaks - HP
Teaks - Resistance
Firs/Cedars - Speed
Other - Specialized with unique qualities.

Other woods will lose some of the qualities that were abnormally high. Locust is one of them. They will remain stronger/strongest in 1 parameter but will not be universally balanced/strong. 

• Like 9