Game-Labs Forum

Why can I buy the Redoubtable cheaper if I am standing in Russia?

If I am at home in the UK and look at the DLC store page I get the usual £32.99 price tag, as shown here.

https://gyazo.com/f2cc8b1e6aaccf193e6cdd88bcabd2f0

However if I am in Russia and check my cart, changing price from UK Pound Sterling to Russian federation Ruble, I get a totally different price.

https://gyazo.com/feedf346c5f74a4236f215df9930f4b5

930 Rubles or £9.99 Pound Sterling at best exchange rates.

Is this a bug or intentional? 

36 minutes ago, Winterthrust said:

If I am at home in the UK and look at the DLC store page I get the usual £32.99 price tag, as shown here.

However if I am in Russia and check my cart, changing price from UK Pound Sterling to Russian federation Ruble, I get a totally different price.

WOOAAHH 

image.png.23487e1a61302022417f871ff7607902.png

In UK Its 4 Euro's cheaper than Denmark.

This is how steam works. The poorer a region is typically the cheaper steam products are there. The devs have accepted that your not getting 33 pounds out of this guy. (I am not saying all Russians are roving bands of gopniks just some. pls no ban).

Screen-Shot-2018-11-12-at-3.14.54-PM.png

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Winterthrust said:

Cant find a new thing to be outraged about?
Regional pricing existed on steam for years. It has been public information on steam db for all the games on steam https://steamdb.info/app/311310/
Click on the prices tab. 

• Sad 4

51 minutes ago, gimli_balinson said:

https://steamdb.info/app/1214480/

check that :) and u see how big the difference is

So the game costs 6.2 times as much in Switzerland than in Argentina

lol

Any argentinian players out there? I might need some more ... copies of the game for friends who want to play.. :P 

Edited by Liq
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, Liq said:

lol

Any argentinian players out there? I might need some more ... copies of the game for friends who want to play.. :P 

Steam prices are strongly recommended by Valve.. they insist we use their prices. If we want to use a different price for a certain country we need to get an approval. 

• Sad 2

This is a none issue, it has been like this since 2010.

The reason why Steam have a regional pricing is because of the different economic strength in each country, example Colombia doesnt have the same economic strength as USA got.

So a simple explanation how this works:

Person in colombia won't be able to gift a game to someone that lives in France, but the person that lives in France can gift to anyone around the world because the higher price tag.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Tomms123 said:

The reason why Steam have a regional pricing is because of the different economic strength in each country, example Colombia doesnt have the same economic strength as USA got.

If that were completely true, then the percentage difference between prices in different regions/countries would be consistent across all games/apps on the Steam store wouldn't it?

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Capitalism said:

If that were completely true, then the percentage difference between prices in different regions/countries would be consistent across all games/apps on the Steam store wouldn't it?

No, because the argument steam had when they introduced the regional pricing were because of the different economical strengths of countries.
So instead of having a flat $40 for a game around the world which is fine for USA, Canada or Europe it can be horrible for example South Africa or Russia because their average earning each year in their local currency is not the same as to those in USA, Canada or Europe. So to give them the possibility to still enjoy the game a regional pricing is put, but to a level that is currency to currency is cheaper. But looking at it from a person to person view its the same cost as the average earning is not the same.

Why different games have different regional % ask the developers. Steam recommend that the regional % is calculated by Steam automatically, a developer can request that a different % shall be set.

Edited by Tomms123
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, Tomms123 said:

No, because the argument steam had when they introduced the regional pricing were because of the different economical strengths of countries.
So instead of having a flat $40 for a game around the world which is fine for USA, Canada or Europe it can be horrible for example South Africa or Russia because their average earning each year in their local currency is not the same as to those in USA, Canada or Europe. So to give them the possibility to still enjoy the game a regional pricing is put, but to a level that is currency to currency is cheaper. But looking at it from a person to person view its the same cost as the average earning is not the same.

I think you misunderstood my comment... if the rationale is only down to different buying power between currencies, and developers had no choice in the matter, then the relative price between games and DLC between countries would be consistent across games and developers.  As we can see, that's not the case... U.S. dollar and Euro payers are paying 75% more for Redoutable, and only 44% more for a AAA game relative to ruble payers.  That's a hefty penalty...

4ae7ea627f72695000d829757724a17f.png%C2%

b9973e84d2baa9b79482c86d34e6a8b2.png

Edited by Capitalism
  • Like 2

39 minutes ago, Dark123 said:

Thats normal.  A bottle milk cost in switzerland also more than in russia.

What!! Oh the horror! The OUTRAGE! Where can I sign a protestslip?! *Sarcasm*

:D

The odd thing is that the DLC costs are inconsistent with the game costs in EU and Russia :)

To the people that do not know why this is I can explain. In poorer countries games are cheaper to reduce piracy. American developers would rather sell their product for 5 dollars than getting nothing. If you think its unfair you should go to Russia on holidays. 

7 minutes ago, Capitalism said:

I think you misunderstood my comment... if the rationale is only down to different buying power between currencies, and developers had no choice in the matter, then the relative price between games and DLC between countries would be consistent across games and developers.  As we can see, that's not the case... U.S. dollar and Euro payers are paying 75% more for Redoutable, and only 44% more for a AAA game relative to ruble payers.  That's a hefty penalty...

"Why different games have different regional % ask the developers. Steam recommend that the regional % is calculated by Steam automatically, a developer can request that a different % shall be set."

Exactly why the % differential is different from RDR2 and Naval Action I don't know, ask Rock Stars executive for RDR2 why their % is lower.

31 minutes ago, Tomms123 said:

This is a none issue, it has been like this since 2010.

So a simple explanation how this works:

Person in colombia won't be able to gift a game to someone that lives in France, but the person that lives in France can gift to anyone around the world because the higher price tag.

so my buddy who lives in Russia can't give me a game via steam gift ?

43 minutes ago, Liq said:

lol

Uhhhhhh we have one in REDS....

image.png.a89877d2a4f009ec75933a3d94eefa2a.png