Game-Labs Forum

Why can I buy the Redoubtable cheaper if I am standing in Russia?

30 minutes ago, Tomms123 said:

No, because the argument steam had when they introduced the regional pricing were because of the different economical strengths of countries.
So instead of having a flat $40 for a game around the world which is fine for USA, Canada or Europe it can be horrible for example South Africa or Russia because their average earning each year in their local currency is not the same as to those in USA, Canada or Europe. So to give them the possibility to still enjoy the game a regional pricing is put, but to a level that is currency to currency is cheaper. But looking at it from a person to person view its the same cost as the average earning is not the same.

Why different games have different regional % ask the developers. Steam recommend that the regional % is calculated by Steam automatically, a developer can request that a different % shall be set.

But just think about it. 

example we have a guy in Syria, he can get the game very very cheap. Then we have a guy in Europe, he has to pay somewhat of a high price for the game.

But does the syrian guy have internet and a good PC?? The european guy surely does, but he can also play it, ergo you are aiming at the wrong group of people to buy it...

The european guy then has to make a choice, does he want to pay 40 euro just to test out a game, to actually see if he likes it.

1 hour ago, Capitalism said:

I think you misunderstood my comment... if the rationale is only down to different buying power between currencies, and developers had no choice in the matter, then the relative price between games and DLC between countries would be consistent across games and developers.  As we can see, that's not the case... U.S. dollar and Euro payers are paying 75% more for Redoutable, and only 44% more for a AAA game relative to ruble payers.  That's a hefty penalty...

\

\

because RDR updates forced changed to their own price, and approved them at valve. Some developers chose to not lower prices for other countries at all.
We used prices recommended by Valve.. (but now its obvious ukraine and polish price is really puzzling, there is no freaking way Poland currency has more purchasing power than Britain or Qatar). Need to review (especially with all the recent currency moves)

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, BoatyMcBoatFace said:

it is common (even off steam) for prices to vary, but vary as much as 5 times is excessive. off the top of my head im not ware of other content that is that cheap in some countries...   that obv not sit well with people when its so extreme

Witcher has 5x difference too because they use steam recommended prices.
https://steamdb.info/app/378648/

You are outraged? because you dont have facts. Then first get facts then post. 

Locked because it is now seems that the goal of the post is to incite rage and provoke negative reactions from other users. 

• Like 2