Game-Labs Forum

Forthcoming patch information

admin

4 hours ago, Sea Archer said:

No, I am not playing a game with other players, because I don't want to talk to them.

Without chatting, I can play some game with some smart ai, no need for players then.

Trade/Nation/Global/Help/Combat/Team/Private Messages - Pretty sure there are ways to talk to other players...

5 hours ago, Sea Archer said:

You should have the option to switch chat off, but it should be possible. And why not showing player names? Because people will run, when they see you? Do you want to get noobs in the battle for easy CM?

@Liq answered this quite well, scroll up abit and you find his post.

If you want to have such an anonymous game, why even showing names in battle instance?

You consider the game anonymous the way it is?.

Imo best is, when people can talk to each other.

Again: Trade/Nation/Global/Help/Combat/Team/Private Messages

13 minutes ago, BoatyMcBoatFace said:

will be removed next when the imaginary "toxicity" dont end

then wat u say? discord?

Toxicity used to bother me, not anymore and i don't use discord...🤣 There are other reasons I disagree with having names visible in the open sea. Maybe you skipped reading that part.

P.s Toxicity being imaginary was funny, the world is flat mate. It really is.

Edited by Emperor Ming

13 minutes ago, Emperor Ming said:

Toxicity used to bother me, not anymore and i don't use discord...🤣 There are other reasons I disagree with having names visible in the open sea. Maybe you skipped reading that part.

It's imagined that toxic chat is limited to communication with enemy players.

Nation chat can be very toxic.  Chat in battle can be the worst because "ignore' is broken in battle.

Enemy names don't need to be visible in OW.  But it would be helpful to be able to open a PM. Concentual.

Edited by Macjimm
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, Emperor Ming said:

i talk 1 thing you reply another

try to stay on topic. i never talk about your names in open world. 

• Like 1

On 4/21/2020 at 5:43 PM, Cetric de Cornusiac said:

Devs feel like they need De Ruyter as a superrare special ship for events. Now, if they give out De Ruyter as permit etc, they lose the prize ship everyone was crazy about at last Diana event. What should we be chasing after if no "mystery ship" is available, because you got everything handed out? Do you expect devs will design an absolutely new ship for every event from scratch? Because the demands will also focus on any new event ship coming: gimme gimme gimme, I can't live without it!!! You can't expect a new ship with every event, or that would result the events to be postponed for months... just as long as it needs each time to design a new ship model.

This while we heard the few people working at game-labs , including "one and a half" graphic artist, have all hands full with lined up work.

Uh make more ships with money from DLC.  I would buy the combat indianman in a heart beat if it was a DLC and we been saying they should do a trade ship (none combat) DLC for some time.  Something like a shallow water ship but the size of an LGV would prob sale like hot cakes for the traders and casuals.  Hell even some of the combat guys.  I would than put a trade xebec in that can be crafted.

On 4/26/2020 at 6:50 PM, admin said:

How are those issues related? One is disabling chat, another enabling names?

Maybe now you see What I mean

Imagine all the complaints/rants/salt/trashtalk when you can actually see who's running from you in OW

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Liq said:

Maybe now you see What I mean

Imagine all the complaints/rants/salt/trashtalk when you can actually see who's running from you in OW

It would seem that trash talk has not diminished with the removal of names on the OW. It could perhaps have gotten worse.  Add in tagging, grieifing, weird alliances and other general time wasting issues that are presented from not knowing the player on the OW....it would seem that the removal of the names has had little to no impact.

The "muh immersion" folks who were one of the champions of the feature....have mostly seemed to vanish from the game as they typically do.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Christendom said:

It would seem that trash talk has not diminished with the removal of names on the OW. It could perhaps have gotten worse.  Add in tagging, grieifing, weird alliances and other general time wasting issues that are presented from not knowing the player on the OW....it would seem that the removal of the names has had little to no impact.

The "muh immersion" folks who were one of the champions of the feature....have mostly seemed to vanish from the game as they typically do.

If you don't know who you are chasing, getting chased by, or who sitting outside port, who doesn't enter solo patrol zone etc etc  then you don't know who to insult. Automaticly alot of toxicity is removed. 

Now you occasinally hear on global something like: "Who is the coward "insert nation" running from me!?", but nothing more. Because it has little impact when you don't know who you are insulting, and people don't care when they read it either.

And again, this only one of reasons why alot of players prefer not having name visible on Open Sea.

With that said i think we can all agree (except Devs maybe) that best solution would be to have an option to toggle on/off name visibility on open sea. Why please one side of crowd when can please all.

Edited by Emperor Ming
  • Like 4

25 minutes ago, Emperor Ming said:

Why please one side of crowd when can please all.

Because in a game like this, a name matters.

If you are a fearsome captain, you have your reputation as a good player. You earned that.

If you run from every fight, you have your reputation as a coward. You earned that.

If someone is being abusive in chat, there are already methods in place to deal with that. Those people are dealt with. There is no room in Naval Action for the kind of toxicity that gets reported in tribunals.

Ultimately, you choose your actions in the game. You can deal with the consequences. Thats the great thing about a sandbox like this. You can build your reputation. You can decide what kind of captain you'll be. (And, if it all becomes too much, you can forge some papers for a new identity).

Also, I don't want to seal club some poor newbie who has no idea how to even manual sail, if I could instead sink the guy over there who's been in game for years and had plenty of time to build up his supply of ships.

But with the current system, I wouldn't know. All I see is "enemy player."  Maybe I'll end up tagging him and getting a decent fight, or maybe I'll be the 5th person to sink a new player in his first week, causing him to quit and never come back.

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, William Death said:

Name appears everywhere else, including in combat. Don't see problem.

43 minutes ago, William Death said:

Also, I don't want to seal club some poor newbie who has no idea how to even manual sail, if I could instead sink the guy over there who's been in game for years and had plenty of time to build up his supply of ships.

You just wrote the problem. Thing is, most people WANT to sealclub that poor newbie, and most people would AVOID players like Ram Dinark (for simplicity i mention him, many great players out there). Now if you see every players name, can you see the problem with this?. For this exact reason, i personally prefer not knowing who captain is before i'm in combat.

Then if i want run from Ram Dinark, at least he has chance to prevent me.  And if i want to let poor newbie go, I can just let him. What is problem.

Example:

you undock your ship, not far from port you see a player you know for sure is not so good. What most people do?, they attack.. easy kill.. go go go!. 

or

you undock your ship, not far from port you see Dron with sails down waiting. What most people do?, pretty sure not many would actually attack. And if they would, it's after they get 5+ gank group and then they go go go!.

I mean i don't want this because I benefit very much from it, quite the opposit i know who is better then me and who is not, if i wanted i can avoid any challenging fight and just go for easy kills. 

Seeing names WILL reduce number of pvp encounters. Period.

Edited by Emperor Ming
  • Like 3

49 minutes ago, William Death said:

If you are a fearsome captain, you have your reputation as a good player. You earned that.

If you run from every fight, you have your reputation as a coward. You earned that.

If someone is being abusive in chat, there are already methods in place to deal with that. Those people are dealt with. There is no room in Naval Action for the kind of toxicity that gets reported in tribunals.

Ultimately, you choose your actions in the game. You can deal with the consequences. Thats the great thing about a sandbox like this. You can build your reputation. You can decide what kind of captain you'll be. (And, if it all becomes too much, you can forge some papers for a new identity).

But with the current system, I wouldn't know. All I see is "enemy player."  Maybe I'll end up tagging him and getting a decent fight, or maybe I'll be the 5th person to sink a new player in his first week, causing him to quit and never come back.

If you see he can't manual sail or has low rank. Why not let him go? Don't shot him. Wish him an nice day and sail away. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Emperor Ming said:

If you don't know who you are chasing, getting chased by, or who sitting outside port, who doesn't enter solo patrol zone etc etc  then you don't know who to insult. Automaticly alot of toxicity is removed. 

Now you occasinally hear on global something like: "Who is the coward "insert nation" running from me!?", but nothing more. Because it has little impact when you don't know who you are insulting, and people don't care when they read it either.

And again, this only one of reasons why alot of players prefer not having name visible on Open Sea.

With that said i think we can all agree (except Devs maybe) that best solution would be to have an option to toggle on/off name visibility on open sea. Why please one side of crowd when can please all.

And it would seem that toxicity is just delayed slightly until the battle instance....as witnessed by the exhaustive amount of tribunals and reports.  The game is/has been as toxic as it always has been....if not more toxic lately.  I think this has a little something more to do with the small community and not necessarily the hidden names on the OW.  

I've personally grown to live with the names off on the OW and suddenly turning them back on again won't have much of an impact either way. 

As is traditon around here the devs typically go the half measure/easier to code route and instead of ships flying flags on the OW to identify nations and having something like a player name as the ship name that you use the spyglass to view.....we have a barebones system of Enemy Player icons.  Imagine how cool would it be to see all 80 or whatever variations of flags on the OW + ship names and perhaps a smuggler/false flag system.  

Edited by Christendom
  • Like 4

On 4/26/2020 at 4:05 AM, ExGavalonnj1 said:

So it went from being expected this week to being 3 months out, kool. Well it better work properly at that rate.

In the past I just all ways added a zero behind what ever they said.  Oh it's going to be in 2 weeks, you mean 20?   We will see the patch next month?  Oh so you mean some time next year?   Yes I'm exaggerating a bit, but we are use to them taking for ever to do patches they hint where going to drop in a week or two or the next month.  

The honest magic number seems to always be around 6 months from when they announce something.

On 4/10/2020 at 4:50 AM, admin said:

Plans update 26th April

• Exit timer will be changed
    • Old mechanic: hit the enemy from any distsance to keep him/her in battle
    • New mechanic: damage the enemy enough (% of their average HP of hull and sails) 
      • Battle timer will increase to 10 mins (initially)
      • The threshold wil not be told in UI as the best tactic to keep enemy in battle is to get close
      • It will be easier to keep damaged targets in battle as % of lower HP results in lower damage requirement
      • Certain changes will be done to damage, sail damage and sail repair cooldowns to increase the importance and influence of the correct first shot. 
      • This feature will significantly reduce or remove any time based griefing or time wasting, and in general will make battles more dynamic.
      • We also are fully aware that this feature will change ganking and chases significantly. The 60 min chases will be completely eliminated and those who loved 60 min chases will be vastly dissapointed. 

Will this timer thing only effect players vs players?    I can see where this might cause problems with folks doing PvE being trapped in a fight they are trying to escape cause they aren't doing to well.  It should not effect any one doing PvE or AI's.   This seems something that should be only PvP.

The repair thing is what my biggest concern is. Last time you adjusted the repairs you didn't adjust the AI and they become extremly powerful    While I know some guys think they are easy and a joke, but for a casual players they could be extremly hard and than you decress the repairs even more.  Fighting ELITES ships you pretty much have to have a fully kitted out ship your self (this is why the rewards suck when they give you plan woods or something soft as hell).  I seem folks loose ships fighting AI's so if you make it harder your going to piss off even more casual players.  Yes I know AI don't get repairs, but AI should not be out DPS a fully kitted out Season wood ship built with all the ship yard perks.  It should be balance (the normal) off a none perk Oak/Oak ship with no shipyard bonus.  The elites should be balance off something better than that.    There is a big curve in what we fight and what we get in reward against elites and such.   

On 4/10/2020 at 4:50 AM, admin said:
  • New time 12 - 54 weeks.

The lower and upper range changes will be announced separately, just in case someone grades us based on time to develop the features (not on the content itself). 

Stay safe and healthy everyone. Drink water, vitamin C and give lots of love to your families and parents.

12 weeks would put us about 3 months, that about normal 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Emperor Ming said:

Seeing names WILL reduce number of pvp encounters. Period.

I disagree.

I've played steadily since 2016. For at least half of that time, we had names in OW. I noticed no change in the amount of PvP I got. Or the amount of times people ran from me in OW, or tagged me in OW. No change.

Sure, some people tried to avoid me, but I could usually force a fight, due to better positioning, or ship stats, or whatever. 

Sure, I avoided some players sometimes. But thats part of the fun. You see a really good player bearing down on you with the advantage, time to run for all you're worth.

8 hours ago, Emperor Ming said:

And if i want to let poor newbie go, I can just let him. What is problem.

..and..

7 hours ago, Lukas97Austria said:

If you see he can't manual sail or has low rank. Why not let him go? Don't shot him. Wish him an nice day and sail away. 

The issue I have with tagging someone into battle, judging their rank, and then deciding to let them go is this:

I've wasted my time:

• I chased him down in OW, when I could have moved past him and continued hunting.
  • I tagged him into battle and have to wait out a timer
    • Thats time I'm not in OW, able to see whats going on and maybe a better target will have sailed right past my battle. I'll never know because of the magic of instanced battles.
    • Thats time for him to spam nation chat begging for a revenge gank to assemble.
    • The wind waits for no captain. I'll be on a different point of sail when I leave. It may make my positioning less favorable to continue the hunt (or make my escape if the revenge fleet was already there).

So we've established that I have the enemy in battle, he's not skilled, and I can have him sunk in a few minutes. Also, I've put my ship in peril by spending precious time in an instance while enemies could be swarming my position. And who's to say that player won't shadow me in OW if I leave, continually reporting my position to his revenge fleet? 

Its hard to convince me I should give up free points toward a PvP mission, plus some doubloons, logbooks, and maybe a loki rune; all for the sake of being a good sport. Not when it was so much easier to be a good sport when I could click and see "oh, that guy is a lieutenant commandant, I'll let him go about his business."

See the issue? 

RE: the types of players who look for the low skilled players to sink:

Yes, those type exist. We know them well. Having their names displayed only makes it easier for other nations to target.

8 hours ago, Emperor Ming said:

i know who is better then me and who is not, if i wanted i can avoid any challenging fight and just go for easy kills. 

You've touched on a very important issue with Naval Action here. I've made several posts about it, as have many, many, many others throughout the years. 

Example: 
Lets say I run into one of my old friends who I know is very good. I think back to the times I dueled him, and how many times I won, vs how many times he won. We're close to evenly matched. I know I'm in a very expensive ship, I know he's in a very expensive ship. I don't want to risk my ship for this any more than he wants to risk his. We're too friendly to resort to calling in revenge ganks for each other, so we sail away with a salute. We're both slightly confident in respective selves that we'd have won (he that he'd have won, I that I'd have won), but we'll never know because neither of us is foolish enough to risk our kitted out ships to find out. Not when the rewards are so pitiful. 

In 2016/17 NA, on the other hand, with ships that were cheap, and mods that were plentiful and accessible by everyone (essentially meaning gear didn't matter since we all had equal everything), we'd have fought and had a great time. Didn't matter if one of us lost a ship and mods, a replacement was just a click away. (also durabilities were a thing then).

Now whats the point? Risk everything for a screenshot and a notch on your PvP mission? Nah, my ship and mods are worth more than the rewards from many of those PvP missions. 

Essentially the problem is this:

If you want to do well in PvP, and do more than just trade a kill for a kill, you need some skills, and some proper gear. The skills are something you pick up as you fight (win or lose), the gear is a combination of luck, time in the game, and your chosen in-game nation.
Proper ships with proper competitive gear is expensive, and you're punished for taking any fight you don't win. So those good old edge of your seat fights with players of roughly equal skill, fighting it out like proper gentlemen don't happen nearly as often. And thats a shame.

So, you're right, you can avoid any challenging fight and go for easy kills.

Thats what the game rewards you for.

But that is an issue that is far, far bigger than putting names back into open world. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, William Death said:

I disagree.

I've played steadily since 2016. For at least half of that time, we had names in OW. I noticed no change in the amount of PvP I got. Or the amount of times people ran from me in OW, or tagged me in OW. No change.

Sure, some people tried to avoid me, but I could usually force a fight, due to better positioning, or ship stats, or whatever. 

Sure, I avoided some players sometimes. But thats part of the fun. You see a really good player bearing down on you with the advantage, time to run for all you're worth.

..and..

The issue I have with tagging someone into battle, judging their rank, and then deciding to let them go is this:

I've wasted my time:

• I chased him down in OW, when I could have moved past him and continued hunting.
  • I tagged him into battle and have to wait out a timer
    • Thats time I'm not in OW, able to see whats going on and maybe a better target will have sailed right past my battle. I'll never know because of the magic of instanced battles.
    • Thats time for him to spam nation chat begging for a revenge gank to assemble.
    • The wind waits for no captain. I'll be on a different point of sail when I leave. It may make my positioning less favorable to continue the hunt (or make my escape if the revenge fleet was already there).

So we've established that I have the enemy in battle, he's not skilled, and I can have him sunk in a few minutes. Also, I've put my ship in peril by spending precious time in an instance while enemies could be swarming my position. And who's to say that player won't shadow me in OW if I leave, continually reporting my position to his revenge fleet? 

Its hard to convince me I should give up free points toward a PvP mission, plus some doubloons, logbooks, and maybe a loki rune; all for the sake of being a good sport. Not when it was so much easier to be a good sport when I could click and see "oh, that guy is a lieutenant commandant, I'll let him go about his business."

See the issue? 

RE: the types of players who look for the low skilled players to sink:

Yes, those type exist. We know them well. Having their names displayed only makes it easier for other nations to target.

You've touched on a very important issue with Naval Action here. I've made several posts about it, as have many, many, many others throughout the years. 

Example: 
Lets say I run into one of my old friends who I know is very good. I think back to the times I dueled him, and how many times I won, vs how many times he won. We're close to evenly matched. I know I'm in a very expensive ship, I know he's in a very expensive ship. I don't want to risk my ship for this any more than he wants to risk his. We're too friendly to resort to calling in revenge ganks for each other, so we sail away with a salute. We're both slightly confident in respective selves that we'd have won (he that he'd have won, I that I'd have won), but we'll never know because neither of us is foolish enough to risk our kitted out ships to find out. Not when the rewards are so pitiful. 

In 2016/17 NA, on the other hand, with ships that were cheap, and mods that were plentiful and accessible by everyone (essentially meaning gear didn't matter since we all had equal everything), we'd have fought and had a great time. Didn't matter if one of us lost a ship and mods, a replacement was just a click away. (also durabilities were a thing then).

Now whats the point? Risk everything for a screenshot and a notch on your PvP mission? Nah, my ship and mods are worth more than the rewards from many of those PvP missions. 

Essentially the problem is this:

If you want to do well in PvP, and do more than just trade a kill for a kill, you need some skills, and some proper gear. The skills are something you pick up as you fight (win or lose), the gear is a combination of luck, time in the game, and your chosen in-game nation.
Proper ships with proper competitive gear is expensive, and you're punished for taking any fight you don't win. So those good old edge of your seat fights with players of roughly equal skill, fighting it out like proper gentlemen don't happen nearly as often. And thats a shame.

So, you're right, you can avoid any challenging fight and go for easy kills.

Thats what the game rewards you for.

But that is an issue that is far, far bigger than putting names back into open world. 

That's a wall of text. Didn't read all to be fair. Just going into my answer or atleast my part. 

Yes there is the issue with not getting an reward. But to be honest.  I let them always run.  The only difference is if the start talking bad or trash talk. Than maybe I punish him. 

But I personal do have an player in the game that maybe later when he learned some stuff will support his nation= more pvp targets. Instead of  kill him. Break his morale and he quit. 

There are some very variuable ships out there when you lose it it hurts in the first moment. But just pixels. And the endgame is to lose and rebuild. 

But yes. To many "pros" going only for the new players. Back with out raider fleets it was common that speed build inger Endy or even wasas where going for new players in there snows privateers or else. If people really need this behavior why not quit the pvp 6-7th rate mission? And add an extra mission.

Like kill 1-2 rate. 3-4. And a 5th rate mission. 6-7 is out of business. 

The only downside will be that an requin for example is rank 6. So you would only gain dbl reals and some XP for killing him 

PS my English sucks 

Edited by Lukas97Austria

Each moments when I capture DLS ships with rare guns I write about this on russian NA forum and every times I'm being ignored. Today I captured Rattvisan with poods and its time to write my proposal again. Now on international part of NA forum. Now you can take all repairs, resouces, dubs from enemys hold but you cant take guns.  Proposal @Lt Sekiro is very nice, but with this sistem players can take only small part of rare guns. I offer add to NA function "Remove cannons" from enemy ship. For this you need capture enemy ship and press buttom "Remove cannons" after 30 sec of preparation all cannons from enemy ship drop to your hold. I think its unfairly that you can take all guns from standart ship if you capture it and you cant same with DLC ships. I sank 80-100 poods for 1 month and dont know how many blum and navy guns just because and cant take enemys DLC ships. 

Offer this since may 2019

unknown.png

unknown.png?width=959&height=340

unknown.png?width=959&height=173

Sorry for my english and tnx google translete for help ^__^

Edited by dron44I
  • Like 14