Game-Labs Forum

Make shallows great again

When I first started and until the release of the Herc and Requin DLC the shallows were dominated by smaller 6th and 7th rates. The battles of the past that happened prior to the release of these DLC are unlikely to happen again and I feel that this is a great shame since they were such jolly good fun.

I would suggest that there is a creation of two types of shallows with the area outlined in red as being only for ships that could travel into the shallows pre-ship DLC whereas all other shallows should be kept as they currently are.

sqYNHBE.jpga

Edited by Gregory Rainsborough
  • Like 6

Looking at the new HPs for a lot of the shallow ships and it's not terrible.

But I agree otherwise, the shallow water 5th rates have completely dominated the scene in the bahamas. 

At this point - the only use for 6th rates is to grind hostility.

2 hours ago, Anne Wildcat said:

I’d like to see the shallows reverted back to only 6th and 7th rates, no 5th rates. 

It's great 9-pders (shallow frigates, niagara, LRQ...) can gather somewhere to fight each other.

It's great shallow frigates can be used.

Rates are just one classification. Another would be 4/6-pders (7th rates + 6th rates) + 9-pders = small ships.

All in all, there must not be lots of ppl sailing all these ships.

Shallows and deep waters are quite equivalent 4/6-pders + 9-pders in shallows ; deep water frigates + Sols in deep waters

Just my two cent 🙂

PS 1 : IMHO, OP's 2 types of shallows would be preferable than excluding shallow frigates from the shallows (ie cutting in half the 9-pders)

PS 2 : I'm a fan of 7th-6th rates (and 9-pders).

Edited by LeBoiteux
  • Like 1

7th rates 

18 hours ago, LeBoiteux said:

Shallows and deep waters are quite equivalent 4/6-pders + 9-pders in shallows ; deep water frigates + Sols in deep waters

But now with the pandora and the hercule, it s like if the deep water was only populated with 1st & 2nd rate dlc ships.. ( I admit even if they are not dlc, every pvp group seems to sail in fast Vic/bello these days so yes the case exist for deep waters too) but after the wipe, shallow will stay as now.

22 minutes ago, Baptiste Gallouédec said:

But now with the pandora and the hercule, it s like if the deep water was only populated with 1st & 2nd rate dlc ships.. ( I admit even if they are not dlc, every pvp group seems to sail in fast Vic/bello these days so yes the case exist for deep waters too) but after the wipe, shallow will stay as now.

Does it mean we need 7/6th-rate ship DLCs ? I have a couple of well-documented ideas... 🙂

52 minutes ago, Barbancourt said:

Would be nice to get a pretty 6th Rate corvette

indeed like 6-pdr L'Aurore (22 guns, 1, 2) or La Panthère (both described by the French as 'Light frigates' at that time because Corvettes were even lighter : 4-pders)🙂

Edited by LeBoiteux

I would really to have a place where only the 7th and 6th rates may sail. In a perfect world, some medium depth waters will be introduced for 5th rates, while 4th-1st rates may only sail in deep waters.

Or simply take the real depth of the water in the carribean and let every ship sail where it's historical draft allows. That would really be perfect.

Even as DLC, 7-6th rates ships niche (being able to hide & rule in shallow) have been rendered useless by the shallow 5th rates. Now they can't do anything a shallow dlc ship or shallow 5th rate don't do best ( even as best upwind hunters => le Requin, anything else => a shallow 5th rate do it better )

Lynx, pickles, cutter, rattlesnake, can't do much more now but hunting shallow ai traders as players don't sail in anything between the basic cutter and the mercury (except maybe few t-brig if eco comes back, but even then, they will only sail them when server pop is at the lowest).

Maybe make the basic cutter give pvp marks if killed by 7th rates ships.

+ specific letter delivery missions for 7th rates or combat reports to carry around.

+ increased bonus in crew capacity & boarding for 7th rates upgrades so they can rageboard 6th & even try to rageboard a shallow 5th rates. Maybe give them swivels..

Edited by Baptiste Gallouédec

Perhaps a way to rebalance ship classes in OW would be as others have suggested to create 3 different sea depths.  This could be used in Bahamas to create passages (choke points) perhaps in passage through shallow areas for heavier shallow draught ships. Coastal waters area perhaps which is perfect for new players to learn/play contested over by nations for this purpose Northern Bahamas perhaps?

Coastal waters  -  Area's close to land off some coastal areas maybe 10 miles of land or so, accessable to 7th and light 6th rates.  Maybe have small area in Bahama's also rated this way for light ship patrol zone (fun for everyone).

Shallows -  As now allowing all shallow draught vessels to enter.

Deep Waters - Rest of open world as exists currently.

Edited by Dibbler
  • Like 1