Game-Labs Forum

The ultimate way to make a PvP opportunity and NPC aggression viable on PvE peace server

10 hours ago, Liq said:

It will bring the possibility of "1v1 me then", to "proove a point". 

Alias "you're not even gonna duel me, carebear". 

I do think it would have some negative impact on the peaceful pve atmosphere.

Trust me, PvE server population has evolved past the "mine is bigger" stage.

• Like 1

If War server keeps the non-OW RoE and you guys get duels I'm switching over. (I fear it would be a mostly fake feature as people aren't as brave as you lead yourselves to believe when faced with possible loss of pixels/grind-time.)

• Like 4

1 hour ago, jodgi said:

If War server keeps the non-OW RoE and you guys get duels I'm switching over. (I fear it would be a mostly fake feature as people aren't as brave as you lead yourselves to believe when faced with possible loss of pixels/grind-time.)

I guess the last thing players on the PvE server actually need would be newcomers calling them 'brave' or 'coward' or whatever. 😉

btw (and without connection) does 'avoiding negative impact on the peaceful pve atmosphere' mean not adding content, just like when you avoid movements to let someone sleep ? 🙂

Edited by LeBoiteux
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, Liq said:

I like the idea of agreed duels, but:

It will bring the possibility of "1v1 me then", to "proove a point". 

Alias "you're not even gonna duel me, carebear". 

I do think it would have some negative impact on the peaceful pve atmosphere.

Don't think we are completely free of negative people of the sort PvP War server is overflowing with. We also have from time to time stories about loot-stealing in global chat, or someone emptied a clan warehouse and disappeared, or bullies in chat. We can bear that. Trust me. The overall better atmosphere isn't touched by a few weirdos.

Meanwhile, I like the roleplaying aspect (I do that myself with my character talking about "greedy Englishmen" and such) and that can include a little teasing of adversaries. No problem.

So forget about the notion of Peace server being a place where pink fluffy unicorns are dancing in circles and do group-huggings. We are normal people.

Edited by Cetric de Cornusiac
  • Like 4

Interesting thread.  Wonder what percentage of the PvE server population wants PvP and aggressive AI?  Perhaps most players that want the Peace of the PvE server to include an optional on-off switch, are PvPers.

Perhaps we should just modify the war server instead, to include optional PvP. And just leave the Peace server alone.  It seems to be doing well without changing it to attract E-sport style competition.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Macjimm said:

Interesting thread.  Wonder what percentage of the PvE server population wants PvP and aggressive AI?  Perhaps most players that want the Peace of the PvE server to include an optional on-off switch, are PvPers.

Perhaps we should just modify the war server instead, to include optional PvP. And just leave the Peace server alone.  It seems to be doing well without changing it to attract E-sport style competition.

Peace has more potential to be the official mode of NA than War server has, War server is too chaotic, it's too salty there, there's no room for the average player to enjoy himself, the regular player has been hunted to near extinction 

Peace can have almost everything War can have as long as the PVP is an option that doesn't effect PVE/Merchants, Privateers and the citizenship of the respective nations, where war gets wrong is throwing everyone into the meat grinder, and only catering to one crowd.

Edited by Slim McSauce
  • Like 3

33 minutes ago, Borch said:

I can already see loads of PvP players joining PvE only to park in front of KPR and start their usual global chat spam about cowards and carebears.

After introducing this feature, in the first weeks, you would see those. Maybe. Then some PvE players would have tried their luck with them, got "farmed", made their experience and spread the word about those guys who would have to face an increasing number of "duel denials" (I hope you remember I wrote any duel still can be denied even when you switched on your symbol for readiness) and their farming grounds would dry up. In the result, PvP gankers visiting our server get disappointed in their hope for "easy prey", bored and leave again. Problem solved.

Our global chat functions in many interesting ways. One is, you get warnings about sociopathic people. If someone enters duel with a known bully guy, it will be entirely his own responsibility. And he knows it.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Borch said:

Some would leave, new would come, old would visit from time to time. They can change their name, they can change their nation. Trolling would be sure and steady and the good atmosphere of PvE server would be spoiled with one fart forever.

I have to disagree. Think you are somewhat underestimating the intelligence and resilience of the regulars on PVE server. The community as a whole observes a common understanding, not just within nations, but between nations.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Cetric de Cornusiac said:

So forget about the notion of Peace server being a place where pink fluffy unicorns are dancing in circles and do group-huggings

We have mermaids though...

46 minutes ago, Borch said:

Trolling would be sure and steady and the good atmosphere of PvE server would be spoiled with one fart forever.

This is why I cannot accept admin's answer. Usually, it's the players that make games unbearable more often than game mechanics themselves. Fortunately the ignore function does wonders (don't know if reporting has any effect though).

21 hours ago, Vernon Merrill said:

Well since you're gonna be a bit uppity about "choice", lets talk about it for a second...  What you're doing by making the "choice" to play on the PvE server is removing a "choice" from another player to have additional content by attacking you.

What make you guys so special that only you are allowed to make the "choice" as to who and what to engage?   Stop making the "choice" to remove MY content.

If you want to take the risks inherent with PvP, then grow a pair and get on the PvP server.

Otherwise you're just asking to have your cake and eat it too.  And nobody likes greedy bastards.

There's a few convenient facts, truths and realities for you.

P.S.--have you opened that 4th slot on your Pirate Refit LGV yet??

WOW  Talk about ridiculous rationalizing to produce some utter nonsense to rationalize some ridiculous red herrings.  According to your preposterous logic a player who successfully runs instead of engaging when you chase them to try and tag them is interfering with your choice.  According to your preposterous logic a player who sails on a part of the map where you are not sailing so you can't attack them is interfering with your choices.  NOBODY is interfering with YOUR choices. You are perfectly free to make whatever choices you want to make within the set of possible choices, and everyone else has exactly the same freedom.  Whether or not your choices and their choices succeed is a totally different issue.  THAT success is NOT a right we have.  The FACT is that per the process the OP suggests and which I explain further you would still be perfectly free to choose to try to attack anyone you want to try to attack.  Whether or not that attempt succeeds would depend upon a variety of factors.

LOL  Where in the world do I say anything about anyone being special?  That is YOUR distortion to fabricate a lame straw man and red herring.  Whether or not anyone is special is totally IRRELEVANT to the issues I am addressing.  FTR  I'm not any more or less special than anyone else.

LOL  Nice try with the preposterous stereotyping and yet another lame red herring about me needing to grow a pair.  Nearly all of my 4,499 hours of play are on the PVP server.  I would be surprised if I have 20 hours on the PVE server (although that is likely to change if the developers keep trying to manipulate us as much as they are).  So, I grew a pair a LONG time ago.  I also have enough self-esteem and self-worth to find it insulting when the developers treat us like we are stupid children who they have to manipulate into playing the game the way THEY think we should play the game instead of empowering us with the ability to play the game how WE prefer to play it.

LOL  And your rational explanation for exactly how I am supposedly a greedy bastard is what?  Me thinks thou doth project too much.

LOL  Your highly subjective and self-serving opinions/beliefs are not authentic facts nor authentic truths nor objective realities.  Learn to understand the distinctions because there is a huge difference between justifying a belief by using authentic facts and independent RATIONAL thought to justify a reasonable and thus probably true belief verses rationalizing what you wish to believe merely because that feels better than the cognitive dissonance that would result from the alternative.  Here are some inconvenient facts/truths/realities for you to try to wrap your brain around:  Belief =/= Fact   &   Belief =/= Truth   &   Believing =/= Knowing

P.S. - -  I have more than enough XP to open the 4th slot on the LGV Refit (which per the name on mine is not the "Pirate Refit LGV") AND according to the 5th box I know how many more XP I need to unlock the 5th box.  But despite the FACT that the boxes still stupidly IMPLY that we can unlock the 4th and 5th boxes they are still locked.  The 4th box on my 7th and 6th Rate traders do not and never have implied that we can unlock them.

P.S.S. - - Have you figured out yet how to understand the concept of implicit meaning?

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Bull Hull said:

The inconvenient fact/truth/reality you are willfully ignoring is that permitting players to freely and proactively make this CHOICE necessarily means it would be IMPOSSIBLE to ruin the relaxing and tranquil experience of those players who want a relaxing and tranquil experience because they will leave those toggles off and thus it would be IMPOSSIBLE for another player or ai to attack them.  Thus the ONLY players who could or would get attacked by other players and/or the ai would be the players who want that to happen by freely choosing to opt into that possibility.

You are not allowed to fight another man in the quiet library, nursery, or any other peaceful establishment EVEN if you both agree to do so. 
These are the rules. If you want to fight a duel over the matter of horses or any other matter - War server is such establishment.

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, Bull Hull said:

P.S. - -  I have more than enough XP to open the 4th slot on the LGV Refit (which per the name on mine is not the "Pirate Refit LGV") AND according to the 5th box I know how many more XP I need to unlock the 5th box

This is a bug mate.  You can't open a 4th slot on a LGVR.  I've tried.  It shows you the XP needed when you hover your mouse, but when you get there, is just stays closed and you feel ripped off.  Very sad...

• Like 1

1 minute ago, admin said:

You are not allowed to fight another man in the quiet library, nursery, or any other peaceful establishment EVEN if you both agree to do so. 
These are the rules. If you want to fight it over - War server is such establishment.

WOW  Do you really not understand how circular and thus how incredibly lame that reasoning is?

Those rules are a purely, solely, and totally the CHOICE of the developers.  Consequently, the developers can also choose to tweak those rules in a way that would empower the players with MORE choices and thus possibly provide more players with more satisfaction.  The developers can learn a lot, the developers need to learn a lot, about highly effective leadership and customer satisfaction.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Angus MacDuff said:

This is a bug mate.  You can't open a 4th slot on a LGVR.  I've tried.  It shows you the XP needed when you hover your mouse, but when you get there, is just stays closed and you feel ripped off.  Very sad...

EXACTLY That is precisely why I submitted a bug report when I discovered that is indeed a bug.  Ditto for the same bug on the Indiaman.

12 minutes ago, admin said:

These are the rules. If you want to fight a duel over the matter of horses or any other matter - War server is such establishment.

That's not a fair comparison, peace server is not a place without conflict, there are still battles raging on every day. If PVErs want  consentual opt in pvp duels,then let them have it, War server does not have the same fights that are being asked for on Peace server.

Edited by Slim McSauce
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Macjimm said:

That would definitely be the better option.  But he developers are bound and determined to manipulate us into playing how they think we should play instead of empowering us with the freedom and choices to play how we prefer to play.  And by we I mean ALL players who fall onto a wide continuum of many play-style preferences.  But instead of respecting that reality and thus instead of respecting us the develops are trying to pigeon hole us into a false dichotomy of only two options - either full on unrestricted PVP or totally safe PVE with very little variety in between.

Sounds like you should invest a few million of your hard-earned dollars and open a game development company so that you can create the game YOU want.  

With all the “choice”, “rights” and “lack of manipulation” you can handle....

What adults do when something stop being enjoyable to them is stop doing it...  instead of throwing a tantrum.  

Or just stay in the nursery, as admin says. 

Bottom line is: if you want PvP, it can’t be purely “consensual”.  Otherwise, there’s no reason for an OW.  

15 minutes ago, admin said:

I still have a hard time figuring whether you are being sarcastic or if this is some form of roleplay. In all honesty I would rather have an answer such as :

"This cannot be implemented within current schedule and resource allocation and would delay our release plans. We take note of this great suggestion and make a decision not to implement it in our current plans. We may consider adding it in the future."

This I can understand and accept without a problem. Not that nonsense I read above.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, PG Monkey said:

I dont want to be pestered by people asking for duels.

You can mute and report, but I could click on the "duel?" button every 30 secs from Tortue to Tumbado. It would end bad.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, PG Monkey said:

I go on the peace server to relax and kill bots. I dont want to be pestered by people asking for duels. I go on the war server to pvp and pve :)

Don't think it will happen as often as you imagine it to. Plus a cooldown time of ten minutes. Are you so easily getting irritated? Click the request away. Finished.

I may even add an "future ignore" option if you are definitely sure you don't want to be asked by the same guy ever again.

EDIT:

You remember I wrote in OP your status related to duel availability is visible to any player you meet in OW? If there is no crossed red or white pistols/swords, it means this player is not eligible for a duel request. Result: nobody will bother this player (PG Monkey) with a request. Peace with you, brother.

• Like 1