Game-Labs Forum

Testbed Feedback - Battle UI, Localization, Patrols, Delivery quests

7 hours ago, admin said:

we tried it but it does not look like a gun at all and does not convey direction.

What about this? 3 showing a stern shape from above and 4 a bow shape from above. Ofc you guys could do that 10000 times cooler.

image.png.552c06e25675f65c3f63fc397309fd64.png

Edited by z4ys
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, admin said:

Convergence 100m means that if we ignore dispersion all cannonballs will converge at 100m (hit one point at 100m) on the trajectory (at 100m)

'Locked' was changed to 'Parallel' so I would suggest changing 'Water' to 'Convergence'. Parallel shots all fire out in a straight trajectory - Convergence shots, when fired, angle in toward a convergence spot.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Banished Privateer said:

@admin Attack most effective on deck guns? 

It is and always was but both can get high casualties this way. Its very effective to attack into fire deck guns when enemy has low moral or a ship with deck gun penalty. But never attack into a single deck ship with attack into fire deck guns.

Edited by z4ys
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Captiva said:

'Locked' was changed to 'Parallel' so I would suggest changing 'Water' to 'Convergence'. Parallel shots all fire out in a straight trajectory - Convergence shots, when fired, angle in toward a convergence spot.

there are 3 convergence types. 100 250 and on first graze on water (formerly known as auto)

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Banished Privateer said:

There are lots of pictures all over the place, just search them or google.

@admin did any stats in boarding change? I was boarding a player and it felt like some commands got tweaked. Also in boarding the "i" tips for each commands seem weird and not fitting the reality, or at least how it used to be in past. Attack most effective on deck guns? 

14 minutes ago, z4ys said:

It is and always was but both can get high casualties this way. Its very effective to attack into fire deck guns when enemy has low moral or a ship with deck gun penalty. But never attack into a single deck ship with attack into fire deck guns.

yep

we tested for biggest differences in crew loss and indicated them for players. current best agains is based on max possible difference in kills (without upgrades and marines)
but many changes have been made since original designs so maybe best is to start a new topic for boarding improvements and propose changes. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, n_Ka said:

I havent the possibility to put the 4pd on the rattlesnacke

There are 2 types of 4pd: Basic 4pd (from the free Bsaic Cutter) and regular 4pd. The Basic 4pd will not apply to any other ship than the Basic Cutter. Not sure if this is your problem, but was mine, until I read it more clearly.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, van der Decken said:

There are 2 types of 4pd: Basic 4pd (from the free Bsaic Cutter) and regular 4pd. The Basic 4pd will not apply to any other ship than the Basic Cutter. Not sure if this is your problem, but was mine, until I read it more clearly.

You beat me to it, I was just typing up the same thing as so many folks done this in the past lol

• Like 1

sometimes when repairing and deactivating gunnery to have more crew for repair, all reload stops at once. also my victory had lost some crew and was on ~670 crew. normally aslong as there is someone in gunnery they still reload, gunnery active or not.

2 hours ago, z4ys said:

What about this? 3 showing a stern shape from above and 4 a bow shape from above. Ofc you guys could do that 10000 times cooler.

image.png.552c06e25675f65c3f63fc397309fd64.png

I honestly don't get what's so difficult to understand about the new icons, I mean the guns are literally pointing towards the area of the ship they relate to

Edited by NethrosDefectus
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, NethrosDefectus said:

I honestly don't get what's so difficult to understand about the new icons, I mean the guns are literally pointing towards the area of the ship they relate to

turn cam and its wrong 😉

The “Water” firing pattern is Convergance or Converging Fire. Both words may be too long for the UI. “Converge” may not fit and be less clear as well.

What about “Point”?

2 hours ago, admin said:

there are 3 convergence types. 100 250 and on first graze on water (formerly known as auto)

Would '100 Focus Fire' and  '250 Focus Fire' work? Anything more descriptive, other than simply 'Water', might be more helpful for the new player.

2 hours ago, Durin said:

sometimes when repairing and deactivating gunnery to have more crew for repair, all reload stops at once. also my victory had lost some crew and was on ~670 crew. normally aslong as there is someone in gunnery they still reload, gunnery active or not.

can you rephrase please in more detail? Do not understand what is the problem

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Banished Privateer said:

On the side note, my question was still not answered. Did any commands get adjusted or tweaked in testbed? And I don't mean UI, but perfomance and statistic wise.

not likely

• Like 1

what was the reason again with the boarding change where you cant see what your opponent has selected?

was in boarding vs a player on testbed, and it was last second choosing there aswell, both agreed that it made no sense since you can still predict what the other player would choose depending on the prep used and melee/firepower damage thats given

*Updated Post*

Okay. I tested the new battle UI for a few hours and I have some initial thoughts/criticisms that hopefully will be considered as constructive feedback and not just Rocko complaining about everything. Overall, I think the UI is a visual improvement of what we had before and like it for the most part. I honestly did not think the old battle UI was bad/ugly and was surprised to hear that it was being changed. But since everything else has gotten a UI makeover, I guess this is the next logical step. Here we go: 

• Enemy ship stats are not showing in the loot menu. I cannot get any information about the enemy ship by highlighting or right-clicking the ship name box
  •  The new sector focus and fire modes are more confusing than they were before. What is "water" aiming?  That makes no sense. I think that "rolling front/back fire" and "locked/unlocked sector" made sense and perhaps the new terms should be reverted. As a wise man once said "if it ain't broke, don't fix it"
  • I think that the boarding prep tab needs to be highlighted when selected. It is easy to forget that you have boarding prep turned on without a visual indicator.
  • The urgent repair button is just an icon and needs a text description imo (such as "urgent repair"). If you are new to the game, it will be very hard to understand what this button does without trying it a few times or asking someone. Just a vague icon is not intuitive enough.
  • The font sizes are driving me crazy. For example: the player names on the tab menu are MUCH bigger than the damage counters (see photo). I do not see why the damage counters need to be so small. Also, the "auto skipper" text is very small and seems squeezed in a place that it doesn't belong and the "R" in the reload circle is much bigger than the numbers. These are just a few examples.font1.thumb.jpg.fc0b63d5201eab661963daa768ec77dc.jpg
  • Shot type cannot be changed before the battle begins. If this is not a bug, then the devs applied a nerf to the prepared perk. That is fine with me because I do not use the prepared perk 😄
  • There seems to be a bug with combat news where it only says "Clerk:" See photo:

chatbroke.jpg.7eee0330d83a6e736fe74d6b1d9b5fc1.jpg

•  The new compass looks better than the OW compass. I still wish something like this was implemented: compass.jpg.2c52dd04e9b6a3c5b972075221eaa7b1.jpg

Its the little things that make up an immersive sailing experience. Race car-style compass has no place in a sailing game IMO. 

• Last but not least... .. *drumroll*.. .. boarding UI = garbage 

Since I first joined the game, I have been told that the boarding mini game was a placeholder for something better. Maybe this was just a rumor but Its sad to see that this was overlooked during a UI update. 

I truly do not understand why the enemy actions are not being shown. The entire boarding game revolves around preparation management and preparation has completely been thrown out of the window since you are not lowing your preparation much with last second clicking. To top it off, the AI knows what actions you are selecting and is effectively countering your actions. This will be confusing as hell to new players and is unfair to every player that does not realize that the AI is countering them while they are completely blind. The only thing this does is gives veterans an unfair advantage because they will know which action is being chosen based on their enemies preparation decrease.

I understand the devs want to discourage last second clicking but they failed here because they took the easy route instead of redesigning the boarding system to fit their vision. It completely blows my mind that they even wasted their time updating the graphics on a (now) broken boarding system. Wasted development time also wastes players' time.

Edited by Capn Rocko
  • Like 3