Game-Labs Forum

Patch 27 - Port interface and usability feedback

Yes the doors and windows should be adjusted to scale, I agree with that, and the birds eye view idea is interesting, the UI works really well for me though so stop speaking for all the players and address yourselves as the individuals that you are please.

grrrr.

Lets report bugs and issues … its going to be more expensive to get started again.

But I am crazy soooo....

Edited by LIONOFWALES

and in all reality... most players probably don't really care how many clicks it take to build a said ship,we want realism and difficulty.

Make it challenging for economy... and in conquest... and in battle play.

The more immersive the game the more fun it is... 

Also I have been working with production I think I can be ready to produce ships and cannons now very quickly, I also see ships not going for as much too.

I thought it seemed like everything cost less to get re-etblished but I can see that it will be slow economy until the rest of the Naval Action world wakes up and starts trading.

So far everything is working fine for me... and I am a player that mostly plays all alone, lonesomly, by myself. :)

The only thing I ran across was the Renome was not showing its cannons in port..... I F11 it already.

Edited by LIONOFWALES

1 hour ago, LIONOFWALES said:

and in all reality... most players probably don't really care how many clicks it take to build a said ship,we want realism and difficulty

Speak for yourself. I'm fed up with this interface to the point that I had to take 3 approaches to craft a ship. If I was a new player, I'd be completely lost and would probably give up on crafting. 

Edited by vazco
  • Like 1

51 minutes ago, vazco said:

Speak for yourself. I'm fed up with this interface to the point that I had to take 3 approaches to craft a ship. If I was a new player, I'd be completely lost and would probably give up on crafting. 

hehe I fully understand your pain.

I haven't played the game for months. So it took me yesterday almost 10 minutes to fit my ship properly, to find out that the ship carried no guns, where I could put upgrades or where to choose perks...

If I think of totally new players struggling through this UI.... But maybe it's just me getting old ^^

Edited by Guest

The conversion process seems to have some bugs. Myself and several others kept inventories of various sizes of Gold Coast Ivory, Historical Artifacts and Versaille Terracotta. I can say for myself most of these items were ripped off during conversion. Where I had over 100 units of some of these, after the push I had less than 10. Other big ticket items converted OK, but we have lost millions on those 3 items.

Please check the code that is revaluing the 3 items. It ain't right.

18 minutes ago, Joernsson said:

If I think of totally new players struggling through this UI.... But maybe it's just me getting old ^^

It's not you. If something requires 68 clicks, 9 searches (3 very hard), 5 hard calculations, 5 inputs, 6 drag-and-drops and knowledge about at least 5 unique unintuitive things, it's simply too overwhelming for beginners.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, melarky said:

The conversion process seems to have some bugs. Myself and several others kept inventories of various sizes of Gold Coast Ivory, Historical Artifacts and Versaille Terracotta. I can say for myself most of these items were ripped off during conversion. Where I had over 100 units of some of these, after the push I had less than 10. Other big ticket items converted OK, but we have lost millions on those 3 items.

Please check the code that is revaluing the 3 items. It ain't right.

Conversion of trading resources is correct. Number of items was reduced on many resources and all trading resources are now 100 tons.
The conversion prices were posted in May and google doc with conversion rates was open to the public for months (whole summer and half of autumn)
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1wskSxkK0nJXCQ-Z-DxJcVFXu_ztPKo0huf4SUHbKQ24/edit#gid=1524048379

So what you are witnessing is correct. Full wipes will also happen before the release.

8 hours ago, vazco said:

• required operations - total 68 clicks, 9 searches (3 very hard), 5 hard calculations, 5 inputs, 6 drag-and-drops
    • 5 clicks and 1 search (blueprint) - to craft ship
    • 25 clicks, 5 searches (blueprints) and 5 calculations of ship's gun poundage and numbers of guns, 5x filling in gun numbers -  to craft all required guns
    • 18 clicks - to equip guns
    • 10 clicks and ~1-5 scrolls to equip ship knowledges
    • 6 clicks and with refits in warehouse 3 searches and drag-and-drops - to equip skill books
    • 3 extremely hard searches, 11 clicks and 3 drag-and-drops - to split and equip repairs
    • 1 click - to sail out (this one is done neatly)

The number of clicks old interface was higher you follow this route

• No-one most people crafts guns when equipping the ship usually players make guns in advance. 
  • Equipping guns - 18 clicks... if you have 4 + 4 + bow guns - you will require 18 clicks or 9 clicks and 9 drags at the minimum. You can only go lower if game learns to read players mind
  • Equipping ship knowledge ? 10 clicks? If you have 5 boxes to move 5 things you will require 5 clicks and 5 drags or 5 clicks + 5 selections. You cant go lower and you cant really go higher

Extremely hard searches to split repairs? Video please - i don't believe that its extremely hard to split repairs. 
Hard calculations on gun poundage? Can you elaborate in detail?

Also you don't need to open warehouse or hold to move things there.
There are short cut commands - should be indicated in tool tips.

8 hours ago, vazco said:

• 1 add option to craft guns directly from gun selection window, linking crafting guns with equipping. Make window close on selection - 12 clicks to craft and equip guns
  • 2 allow to select last setup of ship knowledges for a given type of ship - 2 clicks to select ship knowledges in best scenario
  • 3 allow to equip refits from warehouse AND chest - 6 clicks, 3 searches to equip refits
  • 4 allow to choose what number of in-battle repairs to load on ship, remember last setup - 1 click to equip repairs in best scenario

• 1 - No..we wont add option to craft guns from the ship equipment. What next? Add Trader tool to gun slot set up? Why not go futher. Add chat to gun equipment boxes in case you need to ask something. Craft enough guns, and equip them when you need them. From the warehouse or by clicking directly on gun slot.
  • 2 - Ship knowledge is usually placed one and adjusted later. And it is easy to pick the knowledge - click on slot - select book you want to use. Like before.
    • Knowledge presets per ship type could improve usability but not going to happen in the foreseeable future - all focus is on localization now.
  • 3 - you can already equip refits from warehouse and chest. Click on slot of upgrade and it gives you this option. 
  • 4 - Remembering repairs 
    • same as knowledge preset could be a good idea but not going to happen in the foreseeable future

Just now, Anolytic said:

I do. All the time. And I know others that used to have gun forges in freeports and would craft guns whenever they redeemed a DLC-ship or used a PvP-ship-note.

Well in the old interface you could not do it at the same time (had to switch to crafting). 
Now you can open forge and equipment window at the same time correct? 

1 minute ago, admin said:

Well in the old interface you could not do it at the same time (had to switch to crafting). 
Now you can open forge and equipment window at the same time correct? 

I presume so. I only played a few hours yesterday before I gave up and logged off, so I didn't craft anything. I have no particular opinion on this part of the UI at the moment, or about the number of clicks in a process. I only wanted to point out that the assumption that nobody crafts the guns they need when they need them was false and therefore isn't a good argument. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, admin said:

The number of clicks old interface was higher you follow this route

Sure, old flow (not interface) was less ergonomic. Since you're working on improving flows and interface though, it's reasonable to make them good, not just slightly better.

1 hour ago, admin said:

No-one most people crafts guns when equipping the ship usually players make guns in advance. 

You should look into statistics, as I'm pretty sure most people craft guns when they're needed - at least everyone I know does it this way. Crafting guns beforehand is not an efficient use of resources and warehouse slots. Maybe it's required now, with a new interface. Maybe people will adapt.

1 hour ago, admin said:

Hard calculations on gun poundage? Can you elaborate in detail?

You need to check what number of guns you need to craft for a given poundage for every ship, then craft them separately. That's cumbersome - regardless whether you're crafting a ship youself, or taking guns from clan's warehouse.

1 hour ago, admin said:

Equipping guns - 18 clicks... if you have 4 + 4 + bow guns - you will require 18 clicks or 9 clicks and 9 drags at the minimum. You can only go lower if game learns to read players mind

With a good (and not even best) scenario it's 12 clicks to equip 6 gun slots. You don't need 18.

55 minutes ago, admin said:

• 1 - No..we wont add option to craft guns from the ship equipment. What next? Add Trader tool to gun slot set up? Why not go futher. Add chat to gun equipment boxes in case you need to ask something. Craft enough guns, and equip them when you need them. From the warehouse or by clicking directly on gun slot.

Ok, I'm done with giving you helpful feedback. Clearly you don't want to receive it, as you're being both defensive and agressive in receiving it.

1 hour ago, admin said:

Extremely hard searches to split repairs? Video please - i don't believe that its extremely hard to split repairs.

I don't have an internal need to prove you anything and being attacked for giving feedback is not exactly a good incentive for me to put more work into your game. Preparing videos is out of a scope of my interests. I'm usually well paid for similar help, I'd at lest expect respect when helping you for free.

• Like 3

When I browse my ships I can hover and show the stats. When I hover in the ship store window, I have to hover on that small icon. Would be better if all worked liked in the navy window.

When I double click ship in the navy window, it always opens a new window as well.

ESC should not close windows.

Save my earlier window state? Open automatically my windows state or give even couple short cuts or something so that it decreases the amount of work I have to put in window management.

Really would have been better with big screens that have all that I need in one screen. This is just pain to organize all. If I want to fast move from ship store to shop, it just does not work as smoothly as it should.

Windows have plenty of border, so when I am setting up windows to provide me one view, those feel big.

• Like 1

The "REMOVE" button on character screen seems way too big for me :)
Funny I didn't realise it on testbed - I didn't give a single .... of it.

First time logging on my real account - "Wow... I better do not mess it up" :D

It can be clicked accidentaly too easily.
I do believe there are some extra measures, but still, I'd vote to make it MUCH smaller ;)

• Like 1

The shortcut buttons actually proved to be very handy, if you can memorize the shortcuts it is actually remarkably fast to navigate the UI, 10x faster than any mouse could ever hope to be.  That’s how you use the windows effectively, try it!! 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Banished Privateer said:

Any plans for chat windows to change for new UI? They are very clumsy and don't blend well into UI. Discord has a new awesome overlay that would be 5x better as the chat option.

no plans to update chat at this stage. It works - looks ok - and people got used to it. 

Discord raised 129 mln dollars in 6 rounds to make it and has 250 employees. Once we sell or raise 129 mln I guarantee we will make an amazing chat with 6x better overlay (but personally i would spend it all improved boarding and effects + walking on each deck with your crew fully animated). 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, admin said:

no plans to update chat at this stage. It works - looks ok - and people got used to it. 

Discord raised 129 mln dollars in 6 rounds to make it and has 250 employees. Once we sell or raise 129 mln I guarantee we will make an amazing chat with 6x better overlay (but personally i would spend it all improved boarding and effects + walking on each deck with your crew fully animated). 

What about the compass rose?  It needs to be 18th century (ish).

@admin

After UI Patch I can't log in. I saw Ink's post about restarting - but that thing is not working for me. After hitting "Start" button game is stuck with "Loading..." and rotating steering wheel. Game is not freezed and I can close it without problems. I already tried restarting game, restarting Steam, restarting wi-fi connection, restarting whole PC. Game was fully downloaded today.

21 minutes ago, Parchin said:

@admin

After UI Patch I can't log in. I saw Ink's post about restarting - but that thing is not working for me. After hitting "Start" button game is stuck with "Loading..." and rotating steering wheel. Game is not freezed and I can close it without problems. I already tried restarting game, restarting Steam, restarting wi-fi connection, restarting whole PC. Game was fully downloaded today.

Are you running Windows 7?