Game-Labs Forum

remove sniping

Single shot sniping is very realistic. Why would you get rid of it? Some British Captains would reward a gun crew for hitting whatever the Captain named as a target. If I changed anything it would be to customize the order in which my guns fired. For instance right now you can choose bow to stern but if you are sailing the Wasa or Hercules the fire actually starts from the center or rear because that is the only place the guns are on the top deck. So you get an effect of center, front, rear. Or worse rear, front, center.

when I choose bow to stern I do not want the guns in the back on the top deck to fire until all other guns on the ship that are closer to the bow have fired.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Old Crusty said:

Single shot sniping is very realistic. Why would you get rid of it? Some British Captains would reward a gun crew for hitting whatever the Captain named as a target. If I changed anything it would be to customize the order in which my guns fired. For instance right now you can choose bow to stern but if you are sailing the Wasa or Hercules the fire actually starts from the center or rear because that is the only place the guns are on the top deck. So you get an effect of center, front, rear. Or worse rear, front, center.

when I choose bow to stern I do not want the guns in the back on the top deck to fire until all other guns on the ship that are closer to the bow have fired.

Hitting something as thin as a mast on purpose... On a rolling ship, with a gun without any kind of stabilization. Guns that you fire with a fuse. I want to see that very realistic thing reproduced. Seriously. 

33 minutes ago, hoarmurath said:

Hitting something as thin as a mast on purpose... On a rolling ship, with a gun without any kind of stabilization. Guns that you fire with a fuse. I want to see that very realistic thing reproduced. Seriously. 

Are you serious??? Demasting ships decided most naval actions. Actually sinking a ship back then was rare. Believe it or not the gun crews actually aimed their guns. They didn’t just point it in the general direction and close their eyes.

42 minutes ago, hoarmurath said:

What kind of cannon are you using? Touch-hole or a proper flintlock mechanism is what you'll find on the cannons aboard my ships :)

5 minutes ago, Old Crusty said:

Are you serious??? Demasting ships decided most naval actions. Actually sinking a ship back then was rare. Believe it or not the gun crews actually aimed their guns. They didn’t just point it in the general direction and close their eyes.

^this exactly. Demasting was EXTREMELY common in naval engagements. Have a look at Constitution vs Java for a great example of demasting used in a 1v1 heavy frigate duel. 

So while you likely wouldn't have *every* cannonball land on a mast when firing guns IRL, the gun crews were not bad at what they did. They knew where to aim to demast ships: cutting the rigging up with cannonballs would make the masts fall under the stresses of a press of canvas. We don't have that in game, so you have to hit the mast itself.

Furthermore, regarding real-life accuracy/realism, you also didn't have 25-60s reload times, ability to turn through 180* in less than 45s, etc. Time is compressed in NA, as a result: shooting is sped up, performance of guns is increased, etc. If you want a truly accurate simulator its going to take you over an hour to weigh anchor, set sails, and begin moving out of the harbor. Who knows how long till you see an enemy to attack... Not many will play that game. 

Dismasting happened from volleys fired in a broadside not from single snipping shots.

The captain would order ball at the masts and the broadside would be aimed accordingly.

A lot more luck that skill.

However single shots by default should cause damage anyway.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Crow said:

Dismasting happened from volleys fired in a broadside not from single snipping shots.

The captain would order ball at the masts and the broadside would be aimed accordingly.

A lot more luck that skill.

However single shots by default should cause damage anyway.

I do tend to agree. I do not believe they used to demast with single shot but with broadside. 

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, AeRoTR said:

I do tend to agree. I do not believe they used to demast with single shot but with broadside. 

It would be almost impossible to 'aim' single shots at the mast.

Firers ship roll, speed, deflection, fuse/flintlock delay VS targets roll, speed, deflection.

PLUS

A round ball hitting a cylindrical mast had a very small area in which to transfer force into the mast without it just deflecting almost harmlessly away.

A lot of typical dismasts were due to massive hull (mast anchoring) damage.

Single shots ( hollywood I'm afraid).

Real life was more shotgun followed by shotgun.

Edited by Crow
  • Like 1

If you actually want realism demasting happened from a cocktail of damage, not from just the mast itself but also the internal supports and rigging. Its pretty impossible to demast a ship simply by hitting the mast proper because the tension from the rigging will keep it up, on the contrary its most often the tension from an uneven force on the rigging that causes most masts to come down which exacerbate damage to the trunk of the mast itself. A mast is actually a very strong structure even though its most often made from a sappy wood like fir or pine, its cylindrical shape makes it very difficult to apply meaningful force and therefore damage due to the way impact forces work, similarly to how circular towers on castles are much stronger than square ones. The game should just make it more difficult to demast without rigging and a bit of structure damage rather than removing sniping. It would be silly to remove ranging shots because no captain would want to fire an entire broadside blind.

Edited by Fluffy Fishy

Masts would fall, most of the time, due to rigging damage, some masts got shot off too, of course, pure luck or lots of cannonballs. Smoothbore iron-cast cannon and a ball, you can't predict the flight path of that projectile, that's called the Magnus effect. In this wikipedia image the backspin of the ball causes it to drop.

We have this 'dispersion' which I guess is supposed to mimic this but obvious it works only on broadsides, single shots don't seem to be affected by this.

Magnus-anim-canette.gif

Edited by Le Raf Boom
  • Like 2

Something old but new...

1. Decrease accuracy 10%, test how it goes

2. Repair kits back to 1+1

3. Revert back chain patch and decrease damage from the earlier numbers, or add shot count and decrease damage

4. Rigging HP and central structure define dynamically mast strength, thickness. Once rigging % is low enough you can start causing mast damage

5. If you lose a mast, you cannot repair it. You have to use your 1 rig repair before masts come down, describing urgent repairs to supporting element.

6. Central structure could be less important than rig

7. Rigging damage should be on level that it does not directly support gank fleets to gank better.

8. Difficulty level, how fast you can take down a mast, should be set based on other option we have to win a battle.

This way chain and mast damage wont be competing but complementing each other. Should be easier to balance. More realistic as well?

3 hours ago, AeRoTR said:

gun crews would fire as they pass and have target in front of them. Which is actual like single shot.

Edited by z4ys
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Dibbler said:

Single shots were fired but as ranging shots, not as sniper elite mast fellers.

https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=UW9kOqCgsIgC&pg=PA48&dq=18th+century+ship+cannon+accuracy&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjisfWMlM7cAhUS-aQKHe5aAu4Q6AEINTAC#v=onepage&q=18th century ship cannon accuracy&f=false

Page 49 talks about gunfire while at sea,  pay particular attention to the 72 shots fired by the Crescent to take out the brigs mast with bow chaser. Also take note of the comment that " the difficulty in aiming an elevated gun meant that any gunnery beyond point blank range was almost always aimed by chance"   a comment from a contempory of the period.

Single shot mast sniping is fantasy.

Isnt that throw as much shit on a wall as you can and pray that some will stick?

aimed by chance

Some can guess better than others. just look at the demasting exam. Some fail while other do it in no time.