Game-Labs Forum

Patch 23: Updated Tutorial, Special ship and new UI teaser.

admin

1 hour ago, z4ys said:

Why not include stuff like that there?

image.thumb.png.9bd4375df290bd4ddbdd8d74caae3d54.png

yes. we said it when we shut down legends. that some best parts (like this challenges) will have to get into NA in one form or another. 

• Like 4

@admin Any plan on introducing mechanic that lets us upgrade 3/5 ships into 4/5 or 5/5 ships? Like how countries upgrade tanks and stuff. Something like for cost of 50% of mats for new ship we can upgrade of old one. That would be nice and people would stop trashing 3/5 ships and would actually use them for something

6 minutes ago, Zoky said:

That would be nice and people would stop trashing 3/5 ships and would actually use them for something

Donate them to charity. They can be used as practice-pvp ships by all of us poor enough ... ;) 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, rediii said:

No. You could qttack someone and then the BR limit would be in place. Glirious days when good pvp players dragged out a enemy fleet, tagged half of them so they can get a even fight and win

Actually signaling is not needed outside of safezones I guess.

Why it cannot work like today + signaling?

Signaling can work everywhere, there is no reason not to really.

Players who love this game because PvP is pure gank..  I hate you all.

On ‎4‎/‎21‎/‎2018 at 8:32 AM, wolfalbigensian said:

ok I've been playing this game for about three wks now, I like it a lot and think it has great potential, I like pvp but I also like the trading element too, though trading is very difficult when constantly getting ganked , wouldn't mind loosing a ship or two but atm seems if you're fleet gets caught you'll loose the lot even if you escape leaving your fleet behind, would like to see a scupper option for traders that pops up if you find yourself vastly outnumbered as it may discourage 3-4+ players taking all and allow solo pvp'rs to take a ship get their reward whilst you make your escape with what's left, now about the tutorial overall yes it's quite good, had a little struggle with the demasting but succeeded on second try, the endurance I managed to complete on my third attempt, however the final exam is so ridiculously hard, extreamely annoying and is very close to putting me off the game completely it's no fun at all, and I've tried several different tactics/strategies and keep trying all to no avail, I thought this was a tutorial not a world championship final.

Ive been playing since Xmas.  Love the game and passed the whole tutorial/final exam.  I managed the final exam by reading all these posts and using their advice on how to do it.  I have to say that the final exam is mis-named.  Call it a bonus challenge and warn that the tutorial alone is not enough to prepare you for it.  I also have to admit that I used the grind to rank up and kinda resent all these new M&C's running around who didn't really work for it.  Lets face it, if you follow the recipe for passing the exam, anybody can do it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rediii said:

thats RvR

You argue and insists just because.

If there were signaling and other features that would support less ganks.  What would that be called then?

There is a battle 1 vs 4. Fleet of 3 sails there and they join the battle. If they join the side of 1, there will be good 4vs4 fight. By doing so they risk losing all. If they join the side of 4, it will be 1vs7.  They get guaranteed 1-2 PvP marks. Most noobs on our server join the side of 4. If devs would fix this kind of pretty damn obvious issue, this probably would not be RvR for Rediii?

Fine Rediii, you can have your RvR.  My term shall be Nation vs Nation, NvN.  Are you happy now Rediii?

1 hour ago, rediii said:

Outnumbering your enemy is a thing in NA and guarenteed even fights (allways) would be actually bad for NA because it makes RvR/PvP only viable for the super competitive players and only the same crowd would play pvp.

I like the fact that you are thinking new players.

It would not guarantee even fights always but I know the issue. If you were a new player and you would get 2 options;

1. You get a fair fight

2. You get ganked

Which one you take? 

Which one is worst, super competitive players cheating you in fair fights or ganking you? How big is the change that you are able to gank super competitive players?

There could be a timer for reinforcements as well.

Notice also that there would still be a timer before battle is closed for both sides. New players can pile 25 players vs 5 super competitive players. They can go 5 vs 15 and leave 25 players outside the battle to see that no more super competitive players enter the battle.

Another idea could be that ports would have signaling for their members. Upgraded signaling port could have 1.5xBR multiplier for signaling.  Green Zone with bots would provide some protection for solo/green zone players but clan owned ports with real players protecting their members would be the real thing.

8 hours ago, admin said:

So if we only give 3/5 people will be upset. If we give ships from notes (including premium vessels) 5/5 or 4/5 guarantee people will be upset too.

I'd suggest to make a poll about this. People are upset right now as well. I think a 3/5 option all the time would be least upsetting for all. No pay to win and no highly OP ships generated by RNG, which can't be mitigated by number of ships getting crafted.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Palatinose said:

Methinks ten minutes the wekaer side could be reinforced untill BR was equal. higher BR side couldn't be joined.

Though this is a tempting idea to reinvent it. It's the pros ganker tool No.1. Now everybody can tell me that its fair if Hachi or Liq or Moscalb or whatever the names are attacks a casual player in a higher BRed ship. It just isn't. tbh it really would fit my playstyle, though if this should come back, at least not in the green zone.

You're perfectly right. In my opinion it should be possible to reinforce any side until it gets 1.5 BR of another side. Otherwise good players would have a huge advantage over weaker ones. 1.5 just prevents ridiculous battles, where you can't do any reasonable damage to enemy before you sink.

The best option would be to introduce PvP ranks and allow to reinforce the battle based on BR and PvP rank of participating players - eg. to allow 1 vs 2 ratio for a fleet countering Moscalb, Liq and Ram , or 1 vs 1.1 BR for a fleet of carebears.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, rediii said:

Outnumbering your enemy is a thing in NA and guarenteed even fights (allways) would be actually bad for NA because it makes RvR/PvP only viable for the super competitive players and only the same crowd would play pvp.

Intriguing, but I'm not so sure.

In wot even shit clans do clan wars and the big campaigns. 

Or do you imply that loss mechanic makes NA different from wot in that regard?

Edited by jodgi
Spelling

Tutorial feedback: (so far)

1. gunnery - good

2. Sailing-  very basic but good? Maybe some explaining about what the masts / sails are called?

3. Maneuvers with yards. "sail to A just using yards" DOESN'T SAY stop in circle, meaning you sail straight through and fail first time around, then you have to GUESS you must stop in order to complete.

4. Pursuit and capture. Good

PT 2:

1. Destruction exam - Does Not explain that you need to press escape and then choose "leave" to finish battle in the instructions panel.

2. Demasting- OK

3. Boarding exam: good - could do with some more boarding tips / explanations though?

4. Endurance: - blimey- 96 mast hits on the second ship... how many masts came down?? NONE!

Edited by VonVolks

21 hours ago, admin said:

on one hand we want some ships to be more special than others. On other hand we do not want any complaints or suspicion that paying for advantage can happen. As a result we decided that every mechanic that gives player the option to pass the crafting should grant the ship using same methods that crafting ships provide (that includes the chance to receive a little bit better ship).

understood. i think that you should go jut a bit further then. an extra built in upgrade is quite nice. certain built in upgrades go better with build types than others. so if all these redeemable premium/reward ships were guaranteed and extra built in upgrade, but not which one, as in still a random upgrade. you would achieve the same results. because tbh, i dont really like that after crafting a dozen ships i havent gotten a built in upgrade. the only 2 ships that i have that have built in upgrades i stole from a dane and a swede. i was hoping, with quite high expectations, i can not lie, which is why i am genuinely upset about this,  that my hard earned ship would be unique to me, that it would have a wonderful built in upgrade and not feel like some generic ship. which is kinda does in that it is just a teak white oak, along with most other peoples. And it isnt like i get another chance to get a better one as they arent capturable, and i dont play with alts.

11 hours ago, VonVolks said:

4. Endurance: - blimey- 96 mast hits on the second ship... how many masts came down?? NONE!

Are you sure you mean the Endurance battle and not the Final Exam?  In my Endurance battle the second ship's masts went down like a pair of toothpicks after just 2-3 rakes. 

3 hours ago, Barbancourt (rownd) said:

Are you sure you mean the Endurance battle and not the Final Exam?  In my Endurance battle the second ship's masts went down like a pair of toothpicks after just 2-3 rakes. 

No I absolutely mean Endurance..... It was ridiculous!!!! I haven't done final exam yet

2 hours ago, VonVolks said:

No I absolutely mean Endurance..... It was ridiculous!!!! I haven't done final exam yet

I have not finished it myself too, too much time to spend in pve, and anyway we are not forced to do these exams! Take a ship and go hunting, it's more fun!

2 hours ago, MassimoSud said:

I have not finished it myself too, too much time to spend in pve, and anyway we are not forced to do these exams! Take a ship and go hunting, it's more fun!

Yeah I know but i'm doing my duty as a BETA tester. I tihnk a well presented & informative tutorial is a MASSIVE help in this kind of open game.

A good one sucks the player in, and a bad / frustrating one turns them off before they even begin....

• Like 4

22 hours ago, rediii said:

How many different "teams" are there and how many players are needed each team?

I went and checked the "Alley of fame" for the campaign that happened before christmas.

725 clans received rewards. I don't know if that means more participated but didn't get over some reward score threshold.

36825 individual players received rewards. Randomly checked a player profile featured towards the bottom of the list and his global winrate is 48.9%

I burned out on the second "FailLöwe" campaign in 2013 and I seem to remember a participant roster of more than 100k accounts, take that with a pinch of salt as memory is a fickle thing. 

Clans need to be able to field at least one 15man team. 

55 minutes ago, Borch said:

Spyglass needs a rework for that feature. You're barely able to hold view on your target with current.

Fleet coposition feature is bad mechanic. Your example of 20-30 miles doesnt apply here as even close you still cant see what ships are in the fleet. I'm saying you either for that have to show fleet ships visible in OW beside main ship (which we know is impossible) or reveal full fleet info upon viewing the fleet with spyglass (excluding main ship info).

I disagree with you on the spyglass.  It is quite realistic IMO.  I agree with your next point.  Over the horizon ( 10-15 miles) would be topsails only and y ou could tell the number of ships. 5-10 miles, you would see class of ships (not just sm, md, lg).  Within 5 mi, you would be identifying individual specific features which would often tell you ships name, armament etc.  Sometimes even the Captains name.  Closer than that and of course you can read the brand name on the cannon balls.

i8th century sailors could identify a ship at quite a long distance ... and identify individual ships by name just by the layout of there masts as different captains preffered different rigging set ups .. so two ships of the same class could have completely diferent mast rakes and saiil configurations ..depending on how the captain liked to sail his ship ...they didnt need to see the hull to know what ship was on or just over the horizon

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rediii said:

but with that many players every layer of player/teamskill is present in my oppinion. 

Yes, most definitely.

In random matches the matchmaker does not take skill into account (if you're good you have the right to stomp). But in clanwars or the campaigns there is no matchmaker. When I played on the regular clan wars global map the good teams ended up fighting for a presence on the European map (Bragging rights of being able to compete with top clans) while variable skill teams fought on the African map. There was a natural segregation of teams and skill not imposed by a system in any way.

In NA it's not only about honor and glory but we fight over resources everyone wants, kinda. But even eight stomp teams can't or won't hold every port on the map so there are plenty of scraps for normal teams to fight over, or?

You know NA RVR and I don't, at all.

6 minutes ago, rediii said:

there is wnough to fight over but some ports realy have no value

Ah, ofcourse... The stomp teams sit on or fight over a few important ports, while normal teams lose their motivation to fight for ports they don't even need?

Back to wot...

Noone needs anything there so years and years of clanwars has been fueled by bragging rights and fun only. (Simplified, but not much)

Back to NA...

Bragging rights and fun is nowhere near enough to motivate people for RvR.

5 minutes ago, rediii said:

Your negativity against loss mechanic and crafting bores me.

It bores me too, honestly. I know there's nothing I can do about it, so there's no point in forum politics on that issue. I even tried to avoid it, but everytime I follow the breadcrumb trail of issues in NA I end up at loss mechanic and then I don't know what to do.

22 minutes ago, rediii said:

Without crafting and lossmechanic NA would have a way lower playerbase tbh.

That's a hard sell to me given the relative universal popularity difference between the sandbox and moba genre games.

If you were to defend that statement quantitively, what theory would you base your method on and what statistics would support your assumption?

I can be my own devil's advocate and say that even if McD food is easier to sell in higher quantities over time that shouldn't and won't deter people from making more nutritious and tasty food at a higher price point. Fancy food places don't care about all the customers McD attracts.

1 hour ago, rediii said:

Rigbt now rvr is punished for the most part thats why not so many do it.

This makes perfect sense to me and it most likely fixable without breaking everything else.

• Like 1

On ‎4‎/‎25‎/‎2018 at 12:12 PM, Grundgemunkey said:

i8th century sailors could identify a ship at quite a long distance ... and identify individual ships by name just by the layout of there masts as different captains preffered different rigging set ups .. so two ships of the same class could have completely diferent mast rakes and saiil configurations ..depending on how the captain liked to sail his ship ...they didnt need to see the hull to know what ship was on or just over the horizon

But what thing is lacking there: how the ship is commissioned.

Several corsair ship were in fact rapid traders, commissioned as corsairs, by adding some more guns and more crew. That was not possible to see at long distance (although the general behavior of a corsair was totally different that the behavior or a trader). I also read in someone's memories that a captain detected a corsair at long distance, in spite of camouflage,  because of the rapidity of handling sails and masts.

In France, a special commissioning of ship was also to commission as "adventurer", which was a corsair, with almost the same crew, but reduced again gunnery. The was for example how Robert Surcouf equipped la Confiance, his last ship, when he sailed back to France after his last cruise in the Indian ocean.

La Confiance was quite famous for Royal Navy captain, she was a priority target, but seing even a well known ship could leave surprises...

But anyway, I'love to dress my Belle Poule as a Le Gros Ventre and sail her not so far of KPR or Aves... ;-)

• Like 1