Game-Labs Forum

30 minutes ago, fox2run said:

Blaming players to be bad just make them leave. 

So we should somehow artificially nerf good players? Cookie cutter ships is not the way to go. Ships would lose even more value.

Books/upgrades make a difference but that difference is exponentially greater when in the hands of a skilled player. If a bad player mispositions himself and gets killed in a port battle, no amount of mods or ship knowledge could prevent that.

10 minutes ago, Gregory Rainsborough said:

Who cares about whether or not it is fair? We should be incentivising those who do well. Each person is in the position they're in in this game because of choice.

That's what your statement reminded me of.

Bad players will always leave the game so I don't see why everyone should be punished to keep them here.

because that's a game - so a way of having fun in spare time - and not politics or real life?

PS: "everyone"? Geez ... the so called elite PVPer are much less than casuals and carebears (for now at least)

Edited by victor

4 minutes ago, victor said:

because that's a game - so a way of having fun in spare time - and not politics or real life?

PS: "everyone"? Geez ... the so called elite PVPer are much less than casuals and carebears (for now at least)

I was using it as a comparison of attitudes. Shall we start placing in ironclads because, hell, it's just a bit of fun! This game cannot appeal to everyone and if it tries to it will appeal to no-one.

1 hour ago, Gregory Rainsborough said:

Blaming books and upgrades for your ability to fight is just an excuse used by bad players.

They're fast? Well, build a fast ship then rather than sailing a tank.

Okay, then I request that @admin setup a playoff to prove or disprove your point: A good player vs one of your bad players (not a player who has no PVP experience but as you said a bad player) in 4 matches:

i) A good player in a tricked out ship vs a bad player of same build with basic or normal skills and mods.

ii) Same ships but swap them around to the other player.                                                                                                                                                                                 

iii) Same ships but neither with any skills or mods.                                                                                                                                                                                          

iv) Same ships but both tricked out identically.

Lets see what outcome is.

Edited by Sir William Hargood

2 hours ago, admin said:

I agree that there should be some exclusivity, but maybe a better implementation is to expand PvP rewards store in admiralty?
I think it is better to just give an option to buy content in the admiralty instead of giving them out only for the first place. (first place winner will still be able to buy it)

Yes bring smaller ship to the admiralty store/pirate den so new players can make use of it.
Change the cost of building 1st/2nd rate ship so we don't see them in hords "all"the time,for example to build a first rate you must spend 100 maybe 200 victory marks.

So maybe each clan have 1 or 2 flags ship each not 100...

Maybe it would balance things more out and we can see more smaller ships out there.

Just my opinion though:rolleyes:

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Gregory Rainsborough said:

I was using it as a comparison of attitudes. Shall we start placing in ironclads because, hell, it's just a bit of fun! This game cannot appeal to everyone and if it tries to it will appeal to no-one.

If it will end up appealing just to a small minority of players, we will get 100 on server in prime time. And this would mean just the death of the game. 

Edited by victor
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Sir William Hargood said:

Okay, then I request that @admin setup a playoff to prove of disprove your point: A good player vs one of your bad players (not a player who has no PVP experience but as you said a bad player) in 4 matches:                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         i) A good player in a tricked out ship vs a bad player of same build with basic or normal skills and mods.                                                                                                                                                     ii) Same ships but swap them around to the other player.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                           iii) Same ships but neither with any skills or mods.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                    iv) Same ships but both tricked out identically.

You seem to forget that for instance, I, sail mainly in the snow (best ship ever) and therefore the odds are always against me. There's no need to bother admin, there are plenty of instances when I've been outgunned several times over and emerged victorious. Mods and upgrades be damned!

1 minute ago, victor said:

If it will end up appealing just to a small minoritu of player, we will get 100 on server in prime time. And this would mean just the death of the game. 

It has come to this. Roughly 80% has left the game. 

It's all about the fun factor. When game is made for the elite it exclude the rest.

This cannot be stated enough. Don't exclude players to get ships of all sizes. No player will play a game where he should play a minor roll. 

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, victor said:

you may be amazed in knowing that some sports do it ... it's called handicap. 

Equality of opportunity not equality of outcome. Handicaps are some of the most idiotic rules ever made. It's like taking a lower commission for selling more. If I put in the time to get better at the game you recommend that I should be penalized for it? Let's drive away the die hard players so the fickle players who don't really care for the game have a better time during their 3 hours a week. Lol

Edited by RedNeckMilkMan

1 hour ago, Fellvred said:

- It's been suggested a few times by other people but how about a PvP 'score/infamy/level' system which would then affect how many PvP marks are given by sinking that person. A player with 0 PvP score might be worth 10/25/50% of normal while certain players who have been roaming solo for a couple of years would be worth much more and be more of a target rather than being avoided?

Love the idea but you'd have to get admin to come around in the "visible player names in the ow" argument for it to really reach its potential.

Leaderboards with rewards were nice in the beginning, because everyone wanted the blueprints and also the paints were very valueable. A lot of people came into PvP zone only for the rewards. After a while every nation had dedicated crafters with the blueprints and also paints got inflated, so the rewards lost most of their value and noone gave a shit about them again.

I believe the amount of rewards given out needs to be dependant on the amount of players online to keep them valueable for a long time. Since the devs were unable to do this with other stuff like trading goods or Victory marks there is no point in implementing rewards like in old PvP zone longterm.

Also a lot of people check leaderboards after every fight. That means they care about it and that it is motivating to be on the leaderboards, even without rewards.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Sir William Hargood said:

Okay, then I request that @admin setup a playoff to prove of disprove your point: A good player vs one of your bad players (not a player who has no PVP experience but as you said a bad player) in 4 matches:                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         i) A good player in a tricked out ship vs a bad player of same build with basic or normal skills and mods.                                                                                                                                                     ii) Same ships but swap them around to the other player.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                           iii) Same ships but neither with any skills or mods.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                    iv) Same ships but both tricked out identically.

I don't get why you seem to see this game as some sort of equation involving 2 variables (mods and ship knowledge) when the most important variable is skill. 

Skilled players know when to leak shot, when to go for sails, when to stern rake, how to control their sails to maneuver the ship most effectively. Most importantly A skilled player knows the limitations of their ship. I know my teak/teak trinc cannot trade broadsides with a LO/WO ship and that it's best to target sails and stern rake. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, RedNeckMilkMan said:

I don't get why you seem to see this game as some sort of equation involving 2 variables (mods and ship knowledge) when the most important variable is skill. 

Skilled players know when to leak shot, when to go for sails, when to stern rake, how to control their sails to maneuver the ship most effectively. Most importantly A skilled player knows the limitations of their ship. I know my teak/teak trinc cannot trade broadsides with a LO/WO ship and that it's best to target sails and stern rake. 

Well then my suggestion would prove you are right then won't it.

As it is with every game, there always needs to be a constant influx of content by the Dev´s.

PVP Leaderboard rewards would be ok´ish although I also prefer more PVP Mark reward choices. But these need to be enhanced every now and then, new color schemes new blueprints notes idc but "life needs things to live".

1 hour ago, Gregory Rainsborough said:

Could just get an "infamous" tag which gives double PvP marks to whomever is credited with sinking them.

Like you said, keep ow identification anonymous but have a visible tag that shows a bonus multiplier. 0 pvp marks earned since server maint- .5x, 20- 1x, 40- 1.5x etc (or something TBD). Just throwin ideas out there.

• Like 2

I never been a big fan of leader boards in games cause they get abused to much.  What folks tend to do is pat there stats to get up in the top ranks.  They go out and kill a bunch of newbs and scrubs and call that PvP while avoiding the other PvPers.  Just look at other games like WoT, the easiest way to get higher rank on the leader board is just to go to low tier battles and kill scrubs.  Specially if your go in a team in PUBS battles.  You will get more folks baby seal clubbing and killing alts more than just the good folks fighitng each other.

Now what I would love to see is a reputation system that gives out rewards when you kill some one higher rep than you.  That and a stats page that lets you look up your in game stats and how they gained them.  Did that player get only PvE kills to rank up, or did he do it all through PvP?  What is the percentage of rank/ship levels they killed, was it all 1st rates in Port Battles or killing a bunch of basic cutters out side a capital port?

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Suricato Rojo said:

We should avoid making bigger the ugrades/books/gear gap between regular/casual players and top players. 
Right now its almost imposible for a regular player beat a top player, because he not only has less experience, but has a much worst gear to fight (or escape) with.

But it's very possible for anyone to get PVP marks whether buying them or doing missions. More admiralty rewards would be great.

I am of Texas' opinion here.  We already have enough systems in place to encourage ganking and unfair fights, we don't really need another.  Now if we had a "solo pvp" leader board that would be interesting.  I feel like 10v3 ganks in the patrol zone are already rewarded enough.  

I dislike everything about the marks system we currently have and by relation, a leader board.  The ultimate prize in the time period that this game is focused on was to take the ship and it's cargo...hopefully safely back to port.  Now we just sink 1st rates and indiamen loaded with stuff for lazy pvp marks.  Just seems wrong.  If I wanted a leader board game and stupid pixel rewards I'd go play overwatch or something.  

• Like 3