Game-Labs Forum

Patch 22: Patrol BR limits, Grape fix and Planking mechanics improvements

admin

13 minutes ago, Slim Jimmerson said:

yeah exactly that. "There are plenty opportunities if you like ganks"

Otherwise no there isn't enough good pvp to be found

I don't like ganks at all, they are not fun to be on either side from me. That's why I avoid the patrol zones because they are gank or be ganked areas. It's the same reason I don't camp safe zones. I prefer to actually hunt away from them and hunt the hunters, for example if I am in Swedish waters then I find I actually fight more Danes or French than Swedish players. I prefer to fight them because I know they are actually looking for action and more likely to put of a decent fight.

I understand you've had a lot of problems in the U.S with the players in fir/fir ships jumping missions and attacking solo ships in gap between protected ports. But do NOT tie me in with those, I despise their actions. That's not to say I wont attack traders as well of course. (Free teak is the best kind of teak :D )

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Intrepido said:

Admin, the main problem is that one side usually get reinforced up to maximun, so an even fight ends being a gank.

Implement reinforcement rules like you can only reinforce one of the sides until it is 1.3BR of the other one.

This is the biggest problem with the patrol zones, and once a side is stronger numbers, people will just join on that side until it is full. Any more players that come along will niot join the weaker side to even things on but just move on and look for another battle.

• Like 2

@admin

I would like to know how Second level Trading Oupost can increase production of Historical Artifact, Textile Machinery and Parisian Furniture?

Рorts produce this goods one per hour. So 1*(1+40/100)=1,4=1. 

I sure this problem have such goods as Versailles Terracotta and Black Ironwood.

Edited by qw569
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Nelsons Barrel said:

Actually no, outposts should be just another money sink. Players would pay for next slots easily 10, 20, 50 millions, we just dont have the possibilty right now to use money for something usefull. (Maintenance is just a real joke, denying content because its counterproductive to own useless ports).

In game moneysinks will not keep the game funded, real money ones do.

1 minute ago, NethrosDefectus said:

This is the biggest problem with the patrol zones, and once a side is stronger numbers, people will just join on that side until it is full. Any more players that come along will niot join the weaker side to even things on but just move on and look for another battle.

Buff the reload rate (or HP) of the lower part based on the difference of BR and ... good massacre

Edited by victor

34 minutes ago, Intrepido said:

Admin, the main problem is that one side usually get reinforced up to maximun, so an even fight ends being a gank.

Implement reinforcement rules like you can only reinforce one of the sides until it is 1.3BR of the other one.

i cant understand why they cant see this..

1 hour ago, Banished Privateer said:

Too few outpost permits. It was always a bottleneck in this game. More outposts = more chances for PvP. There are so many missed opportunities for PvP because action takes place in X place and I don't have any outpost nearby...

I'm "low" on outposts too. I still remember vividly the resistance to outposts and character teleports. The wargame dudes said it somehow ruins RvR when people can react to PvP "all over the map". 

1 hour ago, NethrosDefectus said:

People looking for the easy option is becoming all too common in the game lately.

I'm guilty of this. I'll do anything to make things easy for me. Back when we had to fight over iron ore drops and couldn't produce ourselves I just bought another copy of the game and went to the other end of the map and vacuumed virgin iron ports. We just sat on it as well, we just wanted to avoid a restriction that would have forced us to pve grind for cash to compete with contracts, that will just not do. My alts went dormant after they killed fine woods. I've fired my alts back up to provide cash with just a tiny amount of portclicking involved. With alts I can almost completely avoid pve while still having access to what little I need.

It's a whole different situation with pvp. Easy fights get boring, so I'm constantly looking for a fight that will challenge my skills.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Banished Privateer said:

Too few outpost permits. It was always a bottleneck in this game. More outposts = more chances for PvP. There are so many missed opportunities for PvP because action takes place in X place and I don't have any outpost nearby...

Just make the FREETOWN outposts for everybody if they sail there, they build outpost but does not cost outpost space !

• Like 1

Just now, Banished Privateer said:

sorry, but it's not a perfect solution, you propose no teleports. 6 of my outposts are free ports, used to be 7 before... but I need access to admiralty and some resources now too, sadly.

With that, almost no room for attacking or defending your own waters. PVP/RVR is being chocked with these hard locked outpost limits

• Like 1

5 hours ago, victor said:

A batch of X more port slots could be another DLC paid feature (and the same could work for ships drydock space and/or building slots).

Make people buy DLC for their main account, instead of alts.

If the game continues on its current path towards simple world, simple economy, unimportant combat and conquest... basically a rather beautiful and well developed shooter, then I would prefer the DLC option. Make some money for the Devs but ownership of "extra" stuff won't be game breaking. Just more convenient.

If it heads in the direction I hope: a strategic world where player actions in almost all things matter to his nation or clan, then I would vote for no access to extra ports, ship slots, etc beyond what we have now. Make us make choices.

• Like 1

On ‎3‎/‎25‎/‎2018 at 5:44 AM, Cmdr RideZ said:

I believe you missed the whole point.

You must be right about that, because I see "pure trade" as the whole point. It is the base that everything else in the game naturally build upon (even if the devs haven't gotten around to admitting that yet).

@admin

obviously your BR system in the patrol zone works as intended, french ai in privateer, and Pipolanoix joined  several minutes after

Vw34RYZ.jpg

Edited by Guest
added image

22 hours ago, Banished Privateer said:

Yea, I need to mix RvR with free ports. That, forces me to spend much more time sailing, but at least I can combine both play styles. To defend Prussian ports, I sail from free ports... 

Freeport privateering is the most enjoyable way to play the game in my opinion. It lets you minimise the amount of drama

12 hours ago, Wyy said:

@admin

obviously your BR system in the patrol zone works as intended, french ai in privateer, and Pipolanoix joined  several minutes after

Vw34RYZ.jpg

Dont solo the patrol zone unless you avoid getting tagged and join in progress battles only. The zone is mostly small gangs and the only place for a solo person is to join a battle that's going on. 

9 hours ago, Flinch said:

Dont solo the patrol zone unless you avoid getting tagged and join in progress battles only. The zone is mostly small gangs and the only place for a solo person is to join a battle that's going on. 

Most loners behave like this already, except me who has put aside many principles in order to make patrols work - at this point I'm willing to provide content to others at my own disadvantage.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Cmdr RideZ said:

https://ageofsail.wordpress.com/2009/02/21/introducing-the-carronade/

I am not an historian, is that article fact or fiction?

It was ok light reading and because of our last thickness conversations:

"To be able to penetrate the two-feet or so thickness of the sides of a ship of the line a ship had to carry a main battery of at least 24-pounders"

The way carros are represented in the game is kind of a joke. A carronade was the pinnacle of ship cannon evolution at the time; in game, we get some kind of howizer/shotgun hybrid... because at long range they shoot in those ridiculous arcs and are really only useful up close for brawling. And I don't think we get any crew discounts for running carros...

As for thickness, the article is on point. A lineship could seriously be threatened by other lineships because they carried appropriate calibers to penetrate the sides. Instances of a frigate or a smaller ship beating a lineship are scarcer than hen's teeth and usually involve unfavorable conditions for the lineship. Even then, the victory usually involves the smaller ship ruining enough of lineship's rigging to end the battle rather than outright sinking (see: Mercury's battle, or Amazon and Indefatigable vs Droits de l'Homme). Frigates were such a non-issue for the lineships that it was considered bad conduct to shoot at them unless the frigate shot first.

Just a thought in regards to outposts.  Give everyone outposts at the freetowns, but very limited dock space and warehouse space.  Lets say enough space for 3 ships and 3 warehouse slots enough for repairs.  And then charge for upgrading that space, independent of the national outposts already owned by the player.  Could possibly add a docking fee in freetowns mebbe..?

Just thinking out loud...

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Ahoy H.R. Matey said:

The way carros are represented in the game is kind of a joke. A carronade was the pinnacle of ship cannon evolution at the time; in game, we get some kind of howizer/shotgun hybrid... because at long range they shoot in those ridiculous arcs and are really only useful up close for brawling. And I don't think we get any crew discounts for running carros...

Carros in game require approximately 1/2 the crew to man as an equally sized medium cannon. Plus you get the weight savings from using them. Just like irl, carronades aren't double-shoteed or over charged, as they could explode due to the lighter construction. Also, just like irl, they are only effective at short ranges (having 1/3 to 1/2 the range of a long gun), and because of the short muzzle they require a higher trajectory (more arc) and was noticeable at relatively close ranges (a few hundred yards). 

All in all, given how realistic the gunnery is in game, I would say carronades are suitable modelled.

Smaller weather/top deck guns probably should not be able to penetrate SOLs.

Carronades on these decks should be able to penetrate.

edit.

Frigates could use Carronades to cause damage to SOLs.  Cannons vs other frigates.

Would that give a bit more purpose for Carronades?  Make those more realistic as well?

Edited by Cmdr RideZ

51 minutes ago, Cmdr RideZ said:

Smaller weather/top deck guns probably should not be able to penetrate SOLs.

Carronades on these decks should be able to penetrate.

edit.

Frigates could use Carronades to cause damage to SOLs.  Cannons vs other frigates.

Would that give a bit more purpose for Carronades?  Make those more realistic as well?

I agree frigates are currently alittle too effective against SOL your idea is good bur we need better way to disable carronades so they do not fire when you are firing long range.

It is just me or we are not geting any updates lately meybe they are preparing for something big?

On 29.03.2018 at 3:28 PM, Cmdr RideZ said:

https://ageofsail.wordpress.com/2009/02/21/introducing-the-carronade/

I am not an historian, is that article fact or fiction?

It was ok light reading and because of our last thickness conversations:

"To be able to penetrate the two-feet or so thickness of the sides of a ship of the line a ship had to carry a main battery of at least 24-pounders"

data from admiralty tests shows that light calibers penetrated 100cm of wood at close range. But their pens dropped muuuch faster with distance. this is implemented in game too. A long range even 24lb does not penetrate 1st rate hull.