Game-Labs Forum

Patch 14: Part 2 experimental patch increasing realism in ship behavior

admin

2 minutes ago, Quineloe said:

That's exactly what has been tried already. Best gunpowder comes from florida, bovenwinds comes from the Antilles, Cartagena comes from Cartagena.
It's just a very poor execution and a a Bovenwinds refit clearly isn't as valuable as a Cartagena Caulking Refit.  This stuff already is behind an econ wall. a thousand feet high econ wall, though.

its done by restricting the ammount. make them always accessible. You get them when you sail. And dont hide it behind a wall of contracts.

1 minute ago, z4ys said:

contracts

Fixed contracts is what stalls and turns continuous movement of produce and resources trade back and forth totally stale. Instead of full produce at maintenance, feed the towns along the entire 21 hours...

A bit here, a bit there, updating the trader tool (A) every now and then...

Just now, Hethwill said:

Fixed contracts is what stalls and turns continuous movement of produce and resources trade back and forth totally stale. Instead of full produce at maintenance, feed the towns along the entire 21 hours...

A bit here, a bit there, updating the trader tool (A) every now and then...

Is how refit resources work differently from logs? My log contracts fill little by little over the day.

• Like 1

Yes. Imagine Gunpowder from Guataca. Say I put 3 contracts up, using 3 different trade contacts, effectively three different players. I will stall it all.

As a extreme, 100 ships sail in to buy it, but only 3 ships sail out. 97 ships not making way on trade routes.

But all good, getting on unknown grounds, was just wishful thinking to put ships, whatever ships, sailing around, that are not NPCs and orbiting free ports.

2 minutes ago, Hethwill said:

I wasn't talking about PvE.

I know.

Remember what happened when they removed RNG from crafting?

We were so happy. Then they make fantastic upgrades and loot drop books that are more important than any individual ship and lock that behind a PVE rng loot drop grind wall. A kiss and a slap.

My hypothesis is that eco, PVE and sandbox dudes are only motivated by PVP stuff. They say: "Eco is important, it adds depth and meaning." "PVE is content that makes people play." What they mean: "I'm going to use my eco and PVE grind time to get rare stuff few people can get to. The depth and meaning is that I will achieve a gear based advantage."

If people truly and honestly like PVE and eco activities they don't need rewards tied to fighting equipment.

I truly and honestly like PVP activities and I don't need any rewards tied to eco or PVE. Like a few PVP'ers have stated recently; You need mods and books or you're playing at a disadvantage.

Getting people motivated for PVP under the eco/PVE oppression has proved very difficult.

0c49fc6df5458a587b6dc30d118e7ce3.jpg

• Like 3

With these new more realistic sailing mechanics, we really need to be able to separately control the spanker (clew up, or haul amidships) so it doesn't work against the maneuver.

For example when wearing, you would clew up the spanker, otherwise it would push the stern away from the wind. When tacking, you would haul the spanker amidships to increase pressure on the stern and help with turning into the wind.

5 hours ago, Knobby said:

With these new more realistic sailing mechanics, we really need to be able to separately control the spanker (clew up, or haul amidships) so it doesn't work against the maneuver.

For example when wearing, you would clew up the spanker, otherwise it would push the stern away from the wind. When tacking, you would haul the spanker amidships to increase pressure on the stern and help with turning into the wind.

95% sure the spanker doesn't work against the maneuver in-game. It's just a little motor that keeps on chugging, with no effect on rotation.

A full-detail sailing model would include control over the spanker and headsail sheets. However, this would make the control scheme a nightmare, requiring eighteen fingers on your left hand just to perform a turn to starboard in PvP.

So yeah, maybe in a hypothetical SP sailing sim version of the game where everything is slowed down 3x.

Important experimental update.

Gameplay changes
Victory marks (marks received for winning the map) conversion is now only available for the PVE server

Improvements
Crash reports sent only take into account logs of the recent crash (speeding up returning to the game significantly after the crash)

Conversion was removed to increase importance of port capture and victories in conquest. Expected effect = more port battles and more pvp; higher importance of port control and port victories.

8 minutes ago, admin said:

Gameplay changes
Victory marks (marks received for winning the map) conversion is now only available for the PVE server

Lets push the game more towards WASA only.

Dont get me wrong i like to have a reason to RvR but thats a bad approach.

Edited by z4ys
  • Like 10

1 minute ago, z4ys said:

Lets push the game more towards WASA only

Pretty much what I was thinking... and as soon as Wasa costs victory marks too, the people in the weaker nations that don't have the players to dominate the map ( so basically all except for like 3 ? ) will quit the game too... No sane person would play in a underdog nation vs the zerg nations that also have the best ships with Wasa all the way on the top...

So yeah, victory marks for the zerg nations only -> huge dislike. Would be way better to have important resources or ship skins the driving reward for conquest in my opinion. You could still get those with smuggler flag but the owners of the ports could then try to catch you -> more PvP...

Flat out boosting the dominant players / factions is never a good mechanic in games tho... it only causes snowballing and puts the winning chances for the weaker even more out of reach.

20 hours ago, maturin said:

95% sure the spanker doesn't work against the maneuver in-game. It's just a little motor that keeps on chugging, with no effect on rotation.

A full-detail sailing model would include control over the spanker and headsail sheets. However, this would make the control scheme a nightmare, requiring eighteen fingers on your left hand just to perform a turn to starboard in PvP.

So yeah, maybe in a hypothetical SP sailing sim version of the game where everything is slowed down 3x.

In the old system I felt pretty sure my turnrate increased as soon as my ass was through the wind and the spanker was pushing the stern in the direction it was supposed to go.

Not sure in the new system, haven't really paid attention to it yet

9 minutes ago, Intrepido said:

A mistake if only 1 nation wins victory marks. We have 11 nations.

This will only promote abuse of forged papers to the winning nation.

We tested victory marks. Monopoly of victory marks in one clan/nation is a really bad thing for the game balance.

we want to give nations a clear goal for endgame - become N1. Perhaps VM should be distributed for first 3 places, instead of 1st place only. 
VMs were not tested in clan port control mechanics and previously all ports had to be fought with 25 captains in oceans. Now there are minor ports and you can get on #1 position through controlling only minor ports.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, admin said:

Gameplay changes

Improvements
Crash reports sent only take into account logs of the recent crash (speeding up returning to the game significantly after the crash)

Conversion was removed to increase importance of port capture and victories in conquest. Expected effect = more port battles and more pvp; higher importance of port control and port victories.

how should you win pbs if you have no 1st rate? thats soooo stupid!!!!

• Like 3

Just now, admin said:

don't forget please that majority of ports have limited BR and a lot of them won't even let first rate in.

But it was healthy for the game that nobody cared about the map win.

Now a strong nation might just smasch a weak nation just to win the competition.

• Like 2