Game-Labs Forum

Is it time to increase OW battle join timers?

Is it time increase the length of OW battle join timers?  

46 members have voted

1. 1. Is it time increase the length of OW battle join timers?

• Keep the timer as is. Battles close after 3 minutes.
    • Decrease the join timer even more.
    • Increase the join timer to a specific length. Please post your suggestion.
    • Keep battles open to join until all enemies have sunk, escapes, or the 90 minute limit ends the battle.

3 minutes ago, Malachy said:

7 people sank last night in 5 hours. I killed one of them. There were about 150 online. That is pathetic

Earth is round, sorry. I specified that during Euro prime time there is enough action.  

I wish more american continent crowd would play. Maybe they don't want to play :( NA !? ( not even legends at american times by the looks of it... )

29 minutes ago, Hethwill said:

Earth is round, sorry. I specified that during Euro prime time there is enough action.  

I wish more american continent crowd would play. Maybe they don't want to play :( NA !? ( not even legends at american times by the looks of it... )

It's a different reason for American continent players for not playing, but we have gone ad nausem about the reasons why they don't play anymore.

what do EU prime numbers look like now with legends in the mix?

5 minutes ago, Teutonic said:

It's a different reason for American continent players for not playing, but we have gone ad nausem about the reasons why they don't play anymore.

what do EU prime numbers look like now with legends in the mix?

Bit offtopic, sorry for that :( . But numbers do not fluctuate at euro 6-hour stretch from what i've seen, very steady. There's a weekly pattern though with wednesday being the weakest, weekends being surpassed at high tide by some week days, mainly tuesdays and thursdays. Legends apparently had no influence given the players may be looking for different experiences. Played NA until 0100am. 167(?) when I left. Went to Legends for 1 hour. 44. At 2200 was about 150.

5 minutes ago, Hethwill said:

I am not an American, I can though understand why they would be unwilling to pay to play any game when they cannot fight in their own time zone,  yes the world is round and divided into time zones, players in any location should be able to find combat, be it PVP or RVR, if a port is that valuable to anyone they will defend it as best they can, if they lose then they can always take it back, It's additional content. 9-5 hour wars do not work in an arena where there are time zones, no one forces me to take part in a battle at 20:00m EST or even GMT + 2 or 3, If I am awake and wish to attend, or the port is important then I may do so, my choice, no one else's. 

There is a reasonable amount of control as to  when PB's can be set, a matter of mathematics, good will, even courtesy, people play when it is convenient for them to do so, when conditions favour a good outcome, that is human nature, just as it is human nature to time attacks when it is not convenient for their enemy, Most Americans would agree 08:00 on a Sunday morning is not a good time to be attacked, there are  a lot of Germans who would share that view, but there were also a huge number of Europeans grateful for a certain Dawn attack, it paved the way for their freedom!  

Any form of Naval warfare demands a degree of patience, if fleets ran to bus schedules then everyone would be doing it, so if you want to fight you have go out and find a fight, or manage the timing of PB's so that you can get a reasonable number of players to them, Navy's everywhere who do what they can, where they can, when they can, with the tools they have at the time and place. So get a fleet together and make a nuisance of yourselves, when your enemy gets tired of being unable to go out in their own waters without getting sunk they will have to fight to get you out, or quit. It is well known that the French, Danes and Swedes do this especially on the EU server, they appear to have remembered what a Navy's functions are: to project power, defend their merchant fleets and national waters  to do less than that and there is no point in having a Navy.  As Lt. Gen. Sherman once said, "war is hell." I prefer von Clausewitz, "War is merely the continuation of policy by other means."

1 hour ago, Hethwill said:

Legends is a grind fest. Many pvpers have no interest in it, myself included 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Malachy said:

Legends is a grind fest. Many pvpers have no interest in it, myself included 

Not interested in it myself, no because of grind but because of whole age of sail experience. Even if short barebones.

Buuut cutter wars can be fun. Plus testing the sailing aspects in there and here is beneficial for the whole GL naval franchise.

15 minutes ago, Hethwill said:

I don't understand the graphic. Does it mean a lot of players moved to Spain for real ?

Red should mean players, blue the owners.

But this is a graph from a website in Beta, so bugs are very possible.

How can Spain have more players then people owning the game? Did they buy it in another country?

This graph has nothing to do with the ingame nations, rather the geographical location of the sales and players.

This is the description of the graph on the website

"Both numbers are share in percents of total owners or total players in the last two weeks."

Edited by Yngvarr

15 minutes ago, Yngvarr said:

This graph has nothing to do with the ingame nations, rather the geographical location of the sales and players.

Sure but how can it be that spain (the rl land)  have more players than actual owners? There is something wrong. Or did all americans moved to spain?

Same with russia.

Edited by z4ys

Just now, z4ys said:

Sure but how can it be that spain (the rl land)  have more players than actual owners? There is something wrong. Or did all americans moved to spain?

Perhaps they bought it on a US version of Steam, i dunno mate.

I guess it's just because I'm a millennial and a lot of the players here are positively ancient, but does anybody else find it insanely annoying when suggestions are rebuffed by means of "here we go again" or "oh, if you were only here way back you would know" type crap?

in 2016 (two minutes) I managed to join an OW battle that I did not even see when it was initiated when I was sailing a Live Oak Bellona.

Three minutes is absurd, no amount of care will fully prevent being jumped by people from half way across the world if you initiate a fight with a clear horizon

• Like 1

Ok. It looks like the voting is running roughly half and half of folks wanting the same and lower vs folks wanting longer or always open.

I certainly understand the dislike for long timers and the ability to use chat and TS to call out for help from all corners of the globe. Honestly, with current populations, Im not sure that would bring in the waves of players one might think. I’m also not sure in the current doldrums getting big battles would be a bad thing.

Im just looking for SOMETHING — a temporary solution that would be easy for the Devs to try while they are busy with their stated priorities — that could improve the current situation.

My favorite long term solution is an expanding circle. After the battle starts, the join area becomes the area outside the circle. As time passes, the circle gets bigger and bigger until it reaches maximum view/render distance from the original swords, forcing players to join further and further away from the original combat. Occasionally reinforcements will make it in time to influence the original battle. Occasionally separate engagements within the battle will happen. Occasionally separate battle will happen as more PVP players enter the area and start their own battle. Please someone explain how this solution will hurt gameplay. I keep trying to shoot holes in my own idea but haven’t found anything major unless a captain — or captains — just want to ensure they can kill their outnumbered prey with less risk. 

Edited by Farrago

2 hours ago, TheHaney said:

I guess it's just because I'm a millennial and a lot of the players here are positively ancient, but does anybody else find it insanely annoying when suggestions are rebuffed by means of "here we go again" or "oh, if you were only here way back you would know" type crap?

I guess its just because I'm positively ancient and a lot of the players here are millenial, but does anybody else find it insanely annoying when suggestions are expressed by "Even though we've tried this 3 times before and it didnt work, *I* think...." or "things will be different THIS time because..." type crap?

See how easy that is?  The fact is, certain mechanics HAVE been tried and they have caused more problems than theyve solved.  Just because you were not around, doesnt mean they havent been implemented and found lacking....  

Now get off my lawn, sonny!

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Vernon Merrill said:

Now get off my lawn, sonny!

If all you geezers organized the forum better and had a clean, clear list of major changes and kept the wiki up-to-date, maybe us younger and more technologically-inclined kiddos wouldn't need to ask about what the ancients perceive as obvious :P

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Hethwill said:

That players want to play NA for the experience the life ( and death ) of being a captain of a ship in the west indies during the grand age of sail ?

Precisely but we seem to be constantly headed in the direction of refining — perhaps eventually perfecting — the combat and sailing mechanics but never drawing closer to this being an actual game.