Game-Labs Forum

Patch 10.3 - New event, PvP marks changes, changes to knowledge slots and other fixes

admin

6 hours ago, Twig said:

Does anyone have some informations about that event? It came out from nowhere at friday at a time where normal people work

What is normal folks work time?  Where they on the same times for both servers?  Wasn't on.  If they where during only EU prime time than it wasn't fair for the global server.  They need to have these events on random rotation of times not set any one time.   Would like to know more other than the fact I heard you got chest with mods/refits and maybe a ship not or BP in it.

20 hours ago, Hodo said:

LOL you have never hunted have you?

In real life or in this game.  It isnt just about the profit or the kill.   While I can go out and easily take a LGV NPC in a Cutter and make bank and never have to pay a dime for repairs.   But that isnt really fun for me.  It isnt fun for anyone except the simple gamer.

I could blow nearly a million on a Constitution to go hunt with.  And maybe just maybe run across an indiamen once in a blue moon.  AND if it is loaded with valuable cargo I might be able to pay off the ship and make profit for the trip.  Seeing as the cost of a Constitution on the market ranges around 1mil, then the cost of guns, is close to another million if you buy longs off of players on the market.   So you are looking at a 2mil ship, that NEEDs to make 2mil to break even.  Then you need to make up for any damages sustained and time at sea to match overhead.    I usually factor 7.5K per ship rating per real life hour.  So a 7th rate can make 7.5k in an hour running single combat orders, a 6th rate can make 15k, and so on.  So a Constitution is a 4th rate 4*7.5= 30k per hour+ 2mil ship cost + repairs.  

So my overhead in the Constitution is considerably higher than you think.  An empty Indiamen is only going to sell for about 600k on the market maybe 1.5mil IF I am luck and price gouging.   Then I have to factor in shop fees.

Maybe my purser and I spend to much time together but I am not seeing how my profit margins are better in the Constitution vs the Lynx or Privateer, if anything they are about the same.

Have you ever been hunting in real life yourself?

The profit margins should be anything from big losses to big winnings, no matter if you sail a big ship or a small ship. Sometimes it's a win, sometimes it's a loss. You should never ever compare a game with real life hunting unless it is a hunting simulator. I've got 1000s of hours as a real hunter, and you will never ever get to go home with a loaded bank account compared to what you got vs the time you spent on your prey. So don't do that.

I believe that it does not matter how expensive you make 1st rates, players will wait until they get a full fleet (+some) before attacking another nation.

To make port battles more interesting, make rate limits.  2x1st, 4x2nd, 8x3rd, 11x4th, or something similar.  Could be also port specific, multiple different scenarios.  Another option could be BR limited, or br and rate limited.  There could be also full 1st rate battle in some important ports.

Players would need to grind skill slots for multiple ships, and of course own those ships as well.

Mixed fleet battles will be probably 100 times more interesting.

Easier for casuals and smaller nations.

• Like 2

I am not asking rng crafting back but I have to say that when we had it, stores were full of ships.

Right now people craft a ship for themselves and/or clan.  When they have their ships, they stop crafting, because why would they craft more?  They save materials for future needs, but thats it.

RNG Crafting is a pain, but it created way better economy.

Any good ideas how we could achieve similar economy as with RNG, but without RNG?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cmdr RideZ said:

Right now people craft a ship for themselves and/or clan.  When they have their ships, they stop crafting, because why would they craft more?

For proffit, simply said. In an old economy when 1st rates were hard to get (over 1 year ago), eventually they started appearing in stores, once people had their own ships. It would be the same now, if not for one difference...

The difference right now is that 1st rates require conquest marks. If CM could be received eg. by PvP, crafters would gladly build ships to people that already have permits.

17 hours ago, Twig said:

Does anyone have some informations about that event? It came out from nowhere at friday at a time where normal people work

The event popped up for me around 8PM EST on the global server. 

I dont know about you but I am not at work on a Friday evening at 8PM if I can help it.

On 6/24/2017 at 5:46 AM, Thomas Sailaway said:

The profit margins should be anything from big losses to big winnings, no matter if you sail a big ship or a small ship. Sometimes it's a win, sometimes it's a loss. You should never ever compare a game with real life hunting unless it is a hunting simulator. I've got 1000s of hours as a real hunter, and you will never ever get to go home with a loaded bank account compared to what you got vs the time you spent on your prey. So don't do that.

He was talking about hunting ships in Naval Action.

I don't know about you or what people are doing wrong but.... 

I pvp in a very small assault fleet 2 - 3 6th rates.  And it is very profitable selling capped ships back to the nation or on the pirate market.  Pure profits 

Sell cheaper and sell fast 

On 6/24/2017 at 6:46 AM, Thomas Sailaway said:

Yes I have been hunting.  I used to turkey hunt up until I went in the military many moons ago.    If you are good and you seed your land, and set up prime the area you can have a good season.. but you need to do your off season leg work first.  

This is why I dont always hunt the same area every day.  I will wait a few days, hit it again or hit somewhere completely different for a while.   Other times I just like being a fox in the hen house, and scaring the chickens with my presence.  

But unlike most trophy hunters I hunt to eat.  Or I should say I eat my kills I dont care if it is a pretty bird or the biggest, I care that it is dead and soon to be on my table.  

• Like 1

Well I think this needs attention!! Ships having only one life needs to be changed . I think crafted ships and npc bought ships should still have 5 life's ,a lot of money and time goes into them and not having 5 life I just silly ,we used to , I can see 1 life on caped ships but on big investments you should have more the 1 life myself i dont mind taking a chance but I don't won't to lost my best ships and I know most feel the same.  So come on DEVs have mercy on us captain and are good ship 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Captain corn blower said:

Well I think this needs attention!! Ships having only one life needs to be changed . I think crafted ships and npc bought ships should still have 5 life's ,a lot of money and time goes into them and not having 5 life I just silly ,we used to , I can see 1 life on caped ships but on big investments you should have more the 1 life myself i dont mind taking a chance but I don't won't to lost my best ships and I know most feel the same.  So come on DEVs have mercy on us captain and are good ship 

LOL NO.

Sorry but stop wasting your ships.  If you are good you wont lose that many vessels.  If you do perhaps you shouldnt sail those ships till you get better.

I have lost 2 ships since the wipe.  1 Trader Brig to pirates, and I wasnt even mad, I actually had fun trying to fight them off.   And a Snow that I was and idiot and took on WAY to many NPC ships at once.  

Both of which I replaced in less than an hour.  The trader brig I replaced with a trader snow that I built in 30min, and the Snow I replaced with a Mercury AND another Snow in under an hour.

But I am an odd gamer I believe in only using what I can replace.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Captain corn blower said:

They should just offer ship & cargo insurance instead of 'lives'.  This was available in the 1400's so it would even reflect reality. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Hodo said:

LOL NO.

Sorry but stop wasting your ships.  If you are good you wont lose that many vessels.  If you do perhaps you shouldnt sail those ships till you get better.

I have lost 2 ships since the wipe.  1 Trader Brig to pirates, and I wasnt even mad, I actually had fun trying to fight them off.   And a Snow that I was and idiot and took on WAY to many NPC ships at once.  

Both of which I replaced in less than an hour.  The trader brig I replaced with a trader snow that I built in 30min, and the Snow I replaced with a Mercury AND another Snow in under an hour.

But I am an odd gamer I believe in only using what I can replace.

Sorry I haven't lost any ship . yet . I figured some one would  have to  say something against it and its the ones  that always do . there was no need for it to change in the first place .

16 minutes ago, Captain corn blower said:

Sorry I haven't lost any ship . yet . I figured some one would  have to  say something against it and its the ones  that always do . there was no need for it to change in the first place .

I am opposed to the idea of multi life ships because you CANT really hurt someone by capping a ship from them.  There is no market for 1 dura ships in a 5 dura world.  I know this because all anyone used to do was break them down anyway, because it was free parts.  

Now there is a market for a captured ship.  If I capture a 3rd rate Ballona I can sell it for a decent price because it is a 3rd rate.  Or if I cap a Constitution or any ship I would get some kind of kick back because I can sell it or use it.  It is worth more a broken 1 out of 5 life ship.  

That and the @admin stated it made no sense because no one ever used a 1 dura captured ship anyway.

26 minutes ago, Hodo said:

I am opposed to the idea of multi life ships because you CANT really hurt someone by capping a ship from them.  There is no market for 1 dura ships in a 5 dura world.  I know this because all anyone used to do was break them down anyway, because it was free parts.  

Now there is a market for a captured ship.  If I capture a 3rd rate Ballona I can sell it for a decent price because it is a 3rd rate.  Or if I cap a Constitution or any ship I would get some kind of kick back because I can sell it or use it.  It is worth more a broken 1 out of 5 life ship.  

That and the @admin stated it made no sense because no one ever used a 1 dura captured ship anyway.

Oh - you cant hurt someone with a one dura ship? So this is what its about for you? Hurt someone. Make life bad for other players? Well. Needless to say that I disagree entire on this view. In order to have fun we need to have ships, we can loose. An average gamer will loose a ship in every 2nd battle. That means that for 10 pvp fights he needs five ships. If it takes a week to build and produce such a ship- he need more than a month to play ten battles. That makes no sence at all. 

We need more duras or cheaper ships. Its a no brainer to me. 

BTW: a game is not about hurting others. Its about entering battles and have fun in them. Some you loose and some you win. But this game prevents most to have battles. Its a shame.

10 minutes ago, fox2run said:

Oh - you cant hurt someone with a one dura ship? So this is what its about for you? Hurt someone. Make life bad for other players? Well. Needless to say that I disagree entire on this view. In order to have fun we need to have ships, we can loose. An average gamer will loose a ship in every 2nd battle. That means that for 10 pvp fights he needs five ships. If it takes a week to build and produce such a ship- he need more than a month to play ten battles. That makes no sence at all. 

We need more duras or cheaper ships. Its a no brainer to me. 

BTW: a game is not about hurting others. Its about entering battles and have fun in them. Some you loose and some you win. But this game prevents most to have battles. Its a shame.

I play games to have fun.  I play war games to win.

This is a war game.  

War is about numbers.  Cold hard numbers.  

If I cant disable my opponents military on the sea by taking their commerce shipping, or disrupting their military fleets by whittling away at it like the REAL navies did during this time, then it is not fun.  

If you dont want to lose, learn to be better.   Learn from your losses, learn from others defeats, research and study tactics of the time.  You can learn to be better so stop being lazy and be better.

• Like 1

A Lynx costs maybe 15-20k.  A Privateer/Pickle 25-50k.  A Brig/Merc/Navy Brig/Snow 50-80k.    These ships can be easily replaced.  You shouldn't pvp in what you cant afford to lose.

Edited by Prater
  • Like 3

31 minutes ago, Hodo said:

I play games to have fun.  I play war games to win.

This is a war game.  

War is about numbers.  Cold hard numbers.  

If I cant disable my opponents military on the sea by taking their commerce shipping, or disrupting their military fleets by whittling away at it like the REAL navies did during this time, then it is not fun.  

If you dont want to lose, learn to be better.   Learn from your losses, learn from others defeats, research and study tactics of the time.  You can learn to be better so stop being lazy and be better.

It's a game dud ,go joint the ARMY if you really won't to find out what its about 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Captain corn blower said:

It's a game dud ,go joint the ARMY if you really won't to find out what its about 

And I have done my time in the Army, 4 years US Army, 1 deployment, 1 injury and medically retired.  So dont try and come at me like the son.  I would hate to see you get your feelings hurt. 

1 hour ago, Hodo said:

And I have done my time in the Army, 4 years US Army, 1 deployment, 1 injury and medically retired.  So dont try and come at me like the son.  I would hate to see you get your feelings hurt. 

You won't hert my feeling been out my self and retired also very long time now. There's enough young fellas on here who talk out there pipe all the time the game is about fun 

7 hours ago, Captain corn blower said:

You won't hert my feeling been out my self and retired also very long time now. There's enough young fellas on here who talk out there pipe all the time the game is about fun 

It sounds to me like the Legends version is going to appease a lot of you guys, Captain. It seems obvious to me the devs are after the Eve Online type of deal with this game (build your dreams, wreck theirs), admin virtually said so earlier on in this thread. That game is all about the pain of loss, and it hit a niche market because of it. (don't fly what you can't afford to lose, sound familiar?)

That is going to sit nicely beside the Legends version, if they get this right. It has a hell of a long way to go, but so did Eve. Players will need to recognize the potential of clan and nation mechanics and build a group of players that have all the bases covered; builders building ships for members, traders filling the coffers while tilting the market in their favor, PVP'ers extending the territory while handicapping the opposition.

I just hope they get the PVE/PVP balance kind of right (it will never be just right), and eventually merge the servers without losing too many of any one group. Anyone hoping for a balanced, fair and fun fight scenario is probably never going to be comfortable in this game. Legends, maybe, but this game? I highly doubt it.

13 hours ago, Prater said:

A Lynx costs maybe 15-20k.  A Privateer/Pickle 25-50k.  A Brig/Merc/Navy Brig/Snow 50-80k.    These ships can be easily replaced.  You shouldn't pvp in what you cant afford to lose.

Doing a average teak teak build your numbers are way off.  This is cost with charge for labor hours if you craft every thing yourself.  I see a lot of folks loosing a lot of money right now with some of the prices they are putting ships up for.  Though I do admit ships should be way cheaper for folks to get into in the lower end of things.  7th-5th rates that aren't permit ships should be cheaper to get back into and not such a lost if you loose one.  And remember this is going off paying the dirt bottom price for things not what other players  might charge you for the mats.

Lynx: 44821
Privateer:  53838

Pickle: 64577

Brig: 103722

Mercury:  126609

Navy Brig 104442

Snow: 120243

• Like 1