Game-Labs Forum

Missions being severely restricted

Hi,

Something i can't understand in the game since the wipe.

Single combat missions are being restricted so they can only be played until the 4th rank, and with a maximum rank of ship.

For the Dutch, this is Eerste Luitenant (First Lieutenant).(175 XP)

LZDVqh4.png

This means, if i want to do missions beyond this level, i am either forced to play with other people, or use a fleet, because only fleet missions are available.

Both options are ways of playing people might not like.

Since there is no more default AI fleet when doing fleet mission, i'd have to find players to group up with, of get the fleet perk so i can have my own fleet.

In my opinion this severely restricts the ways in which this game can be played.

I find this way too restrictive for my liking, and would like to hear your opinions on this issue.

Greetings,

Yngvarr

• Like 7

1 minute ago, maturin said:

The missions are meant for new players.

The game is meant to be played hunting on the OW, whether for bots or players.

That is your opinion, Sir.

And I, for one, do not agree with that.

I do no think the Dev's should dictate us how we need to play the game, but rather give us options to achieve our goals in different ways.

• Like 12

One of the things I find quite frustrating is that I used to train myself by doing level 1 fleet missions with my ships of the line, using the large numbers of cutters, lynxes and privateers as a great way to get more accurate at shooting things, whilst also getting used to the difference in the various ships aiming (they often shoot off target of the reticule). The availability of missions not too far from ports are essential to my time commitments outside the game and the hours I can play.

I resent the idea that missions are for a specific type of player, especially that missions are meant for new people. I don't personally have the time to invest wondering around aimlessly in a ship, I want to enjoy the game so missions are almost always the best way to achieve that for me, restricting them to the level they have been brought to takes a large chunk of enjoyment out of the game for me. Earlier today I sailed round Jamaica, I literally saw no AI ships at all just a couple of players in cutters.

If people want to hunt AI fleets I respect that, if people want to do missions, they should be respected too, as should the people who go to find Epic events. The game has to realise that to not fall into obscurity it needs to be able to understand lots of people have their own lives and have to make time to enjoy NA around their other commitments.

Being able to enjoy single combat missions is a big part of what I find fun, I don't often have time to enjoy fleet battles, especially now the AI support has been removed. Please allow me to play the higher end missions, in what ever ship I want to do it in, if I want to challenge myself then that should be fine, if I want to squash ants from a mighty 1st rate that should be allowed too.

Edited by Fluffy Fishy
  • Like 11

2 minutes ago, Yngvarr said:

That is your opinion, Sir.

And I, for one, do not agree with that.

I do no think the Dev's should dictate us how we need to play the game, but rather give us options to achieve our goals in different ways.

It's more than his opinion, he just adequately relayed the Dev's previously stated reasons for limiting missions, whether YOU happen to agree with it or not.

• Like 2

And how about all the people who don't have hours to spend, sailing around aimlessly in search of other players or AI ships?

What if you can only play on hours that population is low?

How are you capable of doing your missions?

7 minutes ago, Fluffy Fishy said:

If people want to hunt AI fleets I respect that, if people want to do missions, they should be respected too, as should the people who go to find Epic events. The game has to realise that to not fall into obscurity it needs to be able to understand lots of people have their own lives and have to make time to enjoy NA around their other commitments.

Being able to enjoy single combat missions is a big part of what I find fun, I don't often have time to enjoy fleet battles, especially now the AI support has been removed. Please allow me to play the higher end missions, in what ever ship I want to do it in, if I want to challenge myself then that should be fine, if I want to squash ants from a mighty 1st rate that should be allowed too.

I agree with the above...

• Like 3

The game now aimed at people who can devote large amount of time to it, and the time sink isn't because of new awesome things to do.  They have taken the sand out of the sandbox and left us with a linear Age of Sail game.

But we have the World of Warship clone Naval Action Legends to look forwards to if that's your thing.

• Like 2

I don't mind sailing, i don't mind OW.

I mind not having the choice about how i gain XP beyond the 4th rank.

Even if and when the Arena game comes out, i won't play it, because i like the RPG elements in the current Naval Action game.

I'd just wish i had a choice about the missions.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Powderhorn said:

I'd direct you here and here.

you can direct who you want where you want, yet the current mission system is not ok at all. And I support the OP

Player must have choices to play the way they like, not the way Devs like.

Giving more option is the way to have more players in a game. 

Edited by victor
  • Like 12

3 hours ago, Powderhorn said:

I'd direct you here and here.

I'm sure you have the link  where the Devs have stated that the vast majority of people that have purchased the game didn't even make it to captain the Cerberus.  With current game mechanics they're not even going to make it out of a cutter. The current mechanics, in my opinion, are directed to a veteran community with multiple accounts that has nothing better to do. Not new blood.

• Like 7

I think this patch was a big step in the wrong direction. There are a couple of good aspects yes but the changes to missions, crafting, and resources available for trading pretty much destroys the game for me. I enjoyed running around gathering mats for shipbuilding and doing missions in the other spare time I had. All of that is now gone with this patch. I understand that there is a big divide between those players that want super hardcore sim and the rest of us.. So lets give the 20 or so super hardcore players their server with their game and the rest of us our game back by rolling back to prior to version 10. 

• Like 2

Instead of getting our undies all bunched up right away, let's work with the new system for a while and see what happens.  This is my first serious attempt at getting involved in the game.  It's obviously going to be a mountain to climb, but I'm going to give it a try anyway. 

• Like 1

Well here it is again.  I just posted in another topic on the propensity of game developers to try to FORCE their customers to play the game a certain way while claiming all the while that they have made an Open World, "Sandbox", "Play the way you want to" game.  Happened in EVE and appears to be happening here.  I quit EVE after 4 1/2 years of the devs slowly making it easier and easier for the pirates and gankers to kill the "Carebears".  I won't wait that long here.

7 hours ago, Vernon Merrill said:

Devs can make whatever game they want. Whether you choose to play it is up to you.  

Wrong. Totally, my friend.

You would have been right if this was a finshed game: I read the reviews, I inform myself about the features and then I am able to choose - looking at the features - if buying or not the game. I can therefore choose BEFORE I spend my money on it.

But it happens that this is not a finished game and we are testers. Devs ask for our feedback on the changes. Well, we are giving it to them.

And my opinion is that solo mission shall be allowed at least until the rank that - in Spain - is "capitan de navio" (which lets you sail the top 5th rates, so I think it's "post captain" for the british ranks).

Edited by victor
  • Like 3

As said before, i do not care for the mission restrictions, and the ship rank restrictions that come with it, that are currently being shoved down our throat.

If this system keeps in place, people will quit this game, in favour of the Arena game that "might" be released.

In essence, they split the playerbase into 2 camps, causing overall population to fall.

An Open world and/ or  Sandbox game means you have choices in how you approach the game content in order to fulfill you goals.

In this current mission system, you don't have any real choices anymore.

You're being put on train tracks, that squarely point in the direction that the Dev's decide they want.

• Like 3

So let me get this straight. I just got to Lieutenant Commander rank (5th), bought cannons for my Cerberus and what do I find; I cannot pick normal combat missions for my rank and the fleet missions of this rank do not allow 5th rate ships at all. So I'm actually forced to take a rank HIGHER (Master and Commander) FLEET missions if I want to use a ship meant for my current rank. 

I'm not a new player and thought it'd be fun grinding my way back up there but this is just utterly retarded. So looked forward to the wipe and all but now I'm on the verge of quitting here and now. Way to kill it, devs.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Vernon Merrill said:

Devs can make whatever game they want. Whether you choose to play it is up to you.  

sorry double post

Edited by Thonys

8 hours ago, Vernon Merrill said:

i always thought  " the customer is king " and ruled by demand

or did we invent a new sort of "dictator"

.....dictators let "disappear" stuff ....they always do,( they told me)(- like in EVE  HS is nerved, to nothing in there, i told them > it killes the community, and it did ,whatever they do now to get it up again.

a other example:                    "when you lost your way ,you lost your destiny" ( GPS for instance, a little mistake... in the fast open water for finding sealed bottles- shipwrecks-)

game restrictions are game killers, unless there is some compromise we can live with...

Edited by Thonys
  • Like 3

What about PVE server? hardly seen any fleets on the OW, are you telling me i must sail for hours and hours just to find a ship in order to grind exp? Seriously why do you punish players like this? DO you not see this will make people LEAVE? But your player run eco needs people and lots of them, so stop doing stuff to make people leave....

Im probally gonna be sick of doing low missions cause i spends hours looking for a small fleet i can take on my own, then quit like 50% of the player base.

Just give us the missons back, make fleet missons more rewarding and drop rare loots only so people work in groups...

Edited by ironhammer500
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Flip Flap said:

So let me get this straight. I just got to Lieutenant Commander rank (5th), bought cannons for my Cerberus and what do I find; I cannot pick normal combat missions for my rank and the fleet missions of this rank do not allow 5th rate ships at all. So I'm actually forced to take a rank HIGHER (Master and Commander) FLEET missions if I want to use a ship meant for my current rank. 

I'm not a new player and thought it'd be fun grinding my way back up there but this is just utterly retarded. So looked forward to the wipe and all but now I'm on the verge of quitting here and now. Way to kill it, devs.

Before overreacting remember that even World of warcraft forces you to do mini raids in groups. Not only that - most casual games like clash of clans completely lock some of the content only for groups. 

We want you to socialize - it is easier to do fleet missions with friends and more fun. You are more protected this way and actually will enjoy the game more playing as a group. If you are solo player you still have access to solo content on the open world. Just find the spawn that you like (by some sailing around) and move there sinking ships of your liking.

• Like 6