Game-Labs Forum

Post-Wipe will the game be worth playing?

Good afternoon,

I write you all as a former player of NA back when Server population was >2k during primetime. I had often toyed with the idea of going pirate but at the time it was more of joining a faction that didn't give a hello kitty but had the logistical capacity of a nation. 

Now it appears that many changes have been made to port battles, pirate mechanics, ganking, etc. and I am curious to know if this game will be worth playing once the nerf takes place. I have recently gotten into the show "black sails" which motivates me to get a trusty Trinc or Pirate Frigate and plunder the open ocean and trading routes.

What do you all think?

Note, I don't wanna get involved in the drama, I just wanna know if I should come back. 

Frankly, I'm considering coming back as a casual Pirate in the way that Pirates actually operated. I want to track down a nice 4th or 5th rate ship and prey on shipping.

Can pirates do special refits and stuff to their boats for up-gunning and whatnot now?

42 minutes ago, xAzDKr said:

Good afternoon,

I write you all as a former player of NA back when Server population was >2k during primetime. I had often toyed with the idea of going pirate but at the time it was more of joining a faction that didn't give a hello kitty but had the logistical capacity of a nation. 

Now it appears that many changes have been made to port battles, pirate mechanics, ganking, etc. and I am curious to know if this game will be worth playing once the nerf takes place. I have recently gotten into the show "black sails" which motivates me to get a trusty Trinc or Pirate Frigate and plunder the open ocean and trading routes.

What do you all think?

Note, I don't wanna get involved in the drama, I just wanna know if I should come back. 

Lol........

Thats up to you.

Play the game or don`t.

Simple..

(Well, some threads are really beyond everything....:lol:)

1 minute ago, Fenris said:

Lol........

Thats up to you.

Play the game or don`t.

Simple..

(Well, some threads are really beyond everything....:lol:)

I'm going to be 100% honest here and say that your response literally doesn't tell me anything, I am trying to make a decision and you told me to make a decision. Your reply is redundant. 

Edited by xAzDKr
  • Like 1

Just now, xAzDKr said:

I'm going to be 100% honest here and say that your response literally doesn't tell me anything, I am trying to make a decision and you told me to make a decision. Your reply is redundant and useless. 

As your thread is.

I gave you the most reasonable answer you could possibly get homes.

You seriously go on Forum and ask" shall i play the game or not" ?

Play or don`t .

Simple.

23 minutes ago, xAzDKr said:

Frankly, I'm considering coming back as a casual Pirate in the way that Pirates actually operated. I want to track down a nice 4th or 5th rate ship and prey on shipping.

Can pirates do special refits and stuff to their boats for up-gunning and whatnot now?

At the moment pirates are like every other nation. Except they cant join alliances and are at war with all nations. ( But alliances may turned off for further review). So at the moment its just a question of the flag that you prefer.

At the testserver pirates can attack each other but when they do that they create a special battleinstance which is open for everyone and everyone fight everyone.

Edited by z4ys

I'm looking forward to the wipe and new features.  The game will never please all players - but it is a game that has fantastic battles and complex OW demands.  It is NOT for players who want to join for 15-30 minutes a week.  It certainly can consume time playing it.

• Like 4

29 minutes ago, ElricTheTwo said:

I'm looking forward to the wipe and new features.  The game will never please all players - but it is a game that has fantastic battles and complex OW demands.  It is NOT for players who want to join for 15-30 minutes a week.  It certainly can consume time playing it.

I do recall that quite a bit, spending hours just to travel. I made it to Commodore but at this point I have no desire to get a 1st rate, I have always enjoyed Frig gameplay over SOL, biggest ship I enjoyed was the Consti or Bellona situationally. 

Consti made a good pirate ship because it was tanky but still fast enough to keep up with other ships or run away from bigger ships, don't know if this is still the case

• Like 2

1st of all, I definitely think that you should check the game after the wipe.  Definitely also after the launch.  It is an EA game, so no reasons to not to do so really.

But about pirates...

There will be a mechanism that may or probably will be abused -> 90 minutes timer.

So you can join pirates for sure, but not sure if life would be better under another flag.

It all depends om what type of game you want to play. If  you want to find another player to have a quick and balanced fight, then open world is not the place. If you have a lot of free time to spare and have a lot of patience, the new Open World, will be very realistic and rewarding for those with that mind set.

I'm really curious to see how many players will have on after the patch comes out and how they'll be distributed in the servers. When the arena type of game comes out it will steal a lot of players from open world so we'll see when both games are out at the same time, which one has more players

The OP is questioning directly about the Open World post wipe. There's some keywords in his post that do not relay to a sterile face-off arena genre discussion.

Individualism versus collective sense of game will always be a "battlezone". Many individuals abhor OW mechanics while others cannot stand symmetry of arenas so opinions will always try to shift attention - there's no doubt in the future. A product for each mindset.

Post wipe the scenario is not clear, the stories are not a straight line and the events will be, again, fluid. It completely delegates a whole spectrum of responsibilities back to us, the players while freeing the game from redundant mechanics.

Focus will turn more into Nation, social and planning.

Totally worth to come back and start fresh.

In all cases and for the sake of completion and necessity, if you need to discuss anything related to arena and not OW do share in the following thread

• Like 1

Look, OP, i just came back to the game about a month ago and am loving it.  The worst part is having to wait for the wipe on the live servers.  I am very excited for the new content and changes to the existing content.  Its gonna be very different.  I do think you should come back and give it another try, just because of how i am enjoying it.  I would recommend that you log into the live servers (all of them) and gain 1 xp at least to lock in your xp and then it will come over to the new servers, otherwise it may not be accurate. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Pada said:

It would be definitely worth playing if we had one server. With a split community i don't know. We shall see.

pretty much this.  I have doubts the proposed changes to OW and the player economy will work without a larger base of people.  

1 hour ago, Christendom said:

pretty much this.  I have doubts the proposed changes to OW and the player economy will work without a larger base of people.  

That is why they are working on lobby based game. This feature will be holding NA on life support if population drops to critical after release. 

Edited by Ned Low