Game-Labs Forum

Hotfix 5 for patch 9.97 - event changes + minor fixes

admin

On one hand, i really like the PvP events. 
It brings everyone together and with some luck you can get a bunch of relatively even fights. 

One the other hand, i really dislike the PvP events.
It doesn't feel like it fits into the OW.
If your not lucky you will just be running from gank fleets for the whole duration of the event. 

If you want to keep PvP events, introduce something that encourages people to do "relatively even fights". (NO, i'm not saying FORCE people. I'm saying, ENCOURAGE). 

I have a feeling PvP events will be horrible with 2000 players online, however they are great when we have 100-500 people online. 
Therefore i think we need to come up with some other way to encourage PvP . (At this time i do not have any suggestions on this).

• Like 4

I never participated in a PvP nor PvE event and I will never participate in any. I don't like these kind of tournament thingies in a Age of Sail game. Maybe it suits the playstyle of most modern PC Gamers but it does not fit into the OW as Tommy said. Call me old school or historic fan boy but I'm really sad about where this game is going to :(

18 minutes ago, TommyShelby said:

It brings everyone together and with some luck you can get a bunch of relatively even fights. 

If your not lucky you will just be running from gank fleets for the whole duration of the event. 

If you want to keep PvP events, introduce something that encourages people to do "relatively even fights". (NO, i'm not saying FORCE people. I'm saying, ENCOURAGE). 

I have a feeling PvP events will be horrible with 2000 players online, however they are great when we have 100-500 people online. 
Therefore i think we need to come up with some other way to encourage PvP . (At this time i do not have any suggestions on this).

I think they should fix the old PvP mechanisms to do the same.  For example like you say here that bring everyone together.  The flags were already making fleets to defend and attack -> Everyone together.

Before capitals were the places to craft, everyone was together in these places.  I think they should let us know players per region in the past X hours, or something similar.  Or players visited town Y in the past X hours.  Know where people are, bring everyone together.  PvP event, I think this is like a bubblegum fix.

Also, the current hostility mechanism needs lot of people.  Before you only needed your own clan, bought a flag and sailed to war etc.  The grind is killing us I believe.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, TommyShelby said:

I just want to see the core concepts of the PvP event (accelerated and unique rewards, no AI involved) moved to open world RvR.  I am indifferent on leaderboards, but if it motivates participation, so be it.

I think the one missing element is disincentives for unbalanced fights (reduce rewards for stronger side proportional to the imbalance).  Everything about current event design encourages very unbalanced fights.

• Like 5

Make it indefinite to join an ongoing battle when you see The swords. Make it a matter of distance to target instead.

Introduce 3-4 distances to the targeted ship. After 10 min. you join ring 2, 20 min ring 3 etc. ROE needs a fix and don't listen to the ganking-complainers. They will always complain.

It's a qualified input to the game based on my own experience and feeling. I have played pc games for almost 30 years and have a lot of gaming experience. 

This game live and die with the pvp. If pvp is bad or hard to get, you can forget about anything but an empty world. 

Instead of whining, you could make your own suggestions.

Haven't seen anything useful from your hand so far.

Please No arena style PvP.  I play wot for that. 

I have never participated in PvP or PvE events so I cannot comment on how fun they are or are not.   When the events start I close NA and play wot. 

The devs used the events to test something I throught I read for the port battles.  The screening.  All good.  

Lets get back to sailing, blasting our cannons at each other, drinking rum and chasing traders in the OW and BP.  Just my thoughts :)

• Like 2

There is already an event with 1v1 restriction: it's called "duell"

if we need PVP zones with balancing restrictions like that we can cut the bullshit where we sail for 20 minutes to set up our little battle and can make it an arena game. 

I understand the idea behind the PVP event on a server with low population. But if this would be where the game is headed, I would certainly leave, because it is not the game anymore that I signed up to. 

If we allow the open world to be a place we merely use to sail to our little FairPlay balanced lobby 3/4 of what makes this game a great idea is gone :-(

• Like 5

PvP is important. But much of the access to easy pvp has gone for the casual players. IE those who log in, sail and want to find something to attack or participate in without using a lot of hours of TS organization to solve this need. For me this has been a nightmare since the cutdown on joining timers. I tried to start a clan, went on TS etc. But it took too long and the TS environment wasn't for me. So I gave up in the end.

All I meet in forums was statements like Vernons... 

No-one has yet solved this problem. How do you make this game playable?

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Chimera said:

There is already an event with 1v1 restriction: it's called "duell"

if we need PVP zones with balancing restrictions like that we can cut the bullshit where we sail for 20 minutes to set up our little battle and can make it an arena game. 

I understand the idea behind the PVP event on a server with low population. But if this would be where the game is headed, I would certainly leave, because it is not the game anymore that I signed up to. 

If we allow the open world to be a place we merely use to sail to our little FairPlay balanced lobby 3/4 of what makes this game a great idea is gone :-(

And if your going to complain that you can't fight cause your nations alliance.  Maybe it's time you stop being care-bears and break it.  You don't have to go to war, but if you can't fight any one than maybe you need to change things.  Seems the only ones that want these so called peace are the PvEr's and they shouldn't have so much power over RvR.    It seems the game keeps making more and more things to cater to them and pushing more and more PvPers away from the game.

As with many others if we go to safe arena matches than I'll prob give up on this game too.  I don't play CoD games for a reason and WoT is pushing it for that type of game play.

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, fox2run said:

PvP is important. But much of the access to easy pvp has gone for the casual players. IE those who log in, sail and want to find something to attack or participate in without using a lot of hours of TS organization to solve this need. For me this has been a nightmare since the cutdown on joining timers. I tried to start a clan, went on TS etc. But it took too long and the TS environment wasn't for me. So I gave up in the end.

All I meet in forums was statements like Vernons... 

No-one has yet solved this problem. How do you make this game playable?

Dude, I understand what you're saying...    But what do you REALLY want?  Because the devs have added "SMALL BATTLES, LARGE BATTLES, DUELS AND OW PvP EVENTS" in an attempt to placate the more time-limited players... Why should you just be able to pig-pile into other players battles when you have all these other options to give you near instant access to PvP?  I'm sorry you feel that I'm trolling you, but I'm not.  If you REALLY want insta-PvP, I highly recommend a deep water PvP event in Euro prime-time...  Trust me, you'll find all the PvP you could ever want and then some...  (Just make sure your smuggler flag is disabled and you have the signalling perk on!)

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Vernon Merrill said:

Dude, I understand what you're saying...    But what do you REALLY want?  Because the devs have added "SMALL BATTLES, LARGE BATTLES, DUELS AND OW PvP EVENTS" in an attempt to placate the more time-limited players... Why should you just be able to pig-pile into other players battles when you have all these other options to give you near instant access to PvP?  I'm sorry you feel that I'm trolling you, but I'm not.  If you REALLY want insta-PvP, I highly recommend a deep water PvP event in Euro prime-time...  Trust me, you'll find all the PvP you could ever want and then some...  (Just make sure your smuggler flag is disabled and you have the signalling perk on!)

The whole thing about events is that it is events and not in-build mechanics. Before there where many online and if you liked it more quiet the you could go to the outskirts of the map. And if you where a pirate then you could caught players outside the 10 min zone around harbours. Giving the OW a real maening. Now you can sail right next to a capital and attack a vessel. Its totally nuts. 

on the subject of demasting and stuff

when i look at damage( you can see that on old paintings)

http://firststreetconfidential.com/images/images-history/0819-battle-of-lagos.jpg

but i almost never see demasted ships in the game in a pb or in a casual game 

in the RL mostly all of the vessels had removed some masts or had heavy damage to the rigging

what i want to say is i want to see more mast damage in a battle (not RNG) but>>>>lower hp or penetration on masts

ATMif it is in a rt battle we don t see it 

19 hours ago, fox2run said:

The whole thing about events is that it is events and not in-build mechanics. Before there where many online and if you liked it more quiet the you could go to the outskirts of the map. And if you where a pirate then you could caught players outside the 10 min zone around harbours. Giving the OW a real maening. Now you can sail right next to a capital and attack a vessel. Its totally nuts. 

So you still haven't set sail with signal perk to create open battles around capital?  Worried you might end up in a fair fight?

Interesting enough I do use the Signaling perk now. Same as with Control.

I do raid mostly solo or with a consort but testing it to see how many "white knights" come to aid the poor traders being raided.

So far no dice :) they get left to their own.

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, Hethwill said:

Interesting enough I do use the Signaling perk now. Same as with Control.

I do raid mostly solo or with a consort but testing it to see how many "white knights" come to aid the poor traders being raided.

So far no dice :) they get left to their own.

From what I understood of the info text about the perk it only works one way (e.g. you can get help if you're outnumbered, but enemies cant get help if they're outnumbered if you have the perk). Did anyone test this yet?

8 minutes ago, Aegir said:

From what I understood of the info text about the perk it only works one way (e.g. you can get help if you're outnumbered, but enemies cant get help if they're outnumbered if you have the perk). Did anyone test this yet?

I was convinced it would work like the old Socialize thing :o

If one captain has it it would work both ways... but now...you planted doubts...

Did anyone check this ?

4 minutes ago, Baptiste Gallouédec said:

You can only join the lowest br side and battle is closed as soon as the br are even 

That's it. So a trader has 10 BR. It should work.

How much is the threshold ? 1.5 ? 1.2 ? 1.0 ?

56 minutes ago, akd said:

Pretty sure it works both ways (or is supposed to), but ROE is currently a mess of bugs, inconsistencies and poor descriptions.

Exactly - I'd like to put an entry in the Wiki but I really can't say with certainty just what Signalling does.

• how long will it keep the battle open for others to join if the BR isn't balanced... 'X' minutes or the duration?
  • does it allow reinforcement of both sides or just the side(s) with the perk?
  • what is the definition of 'balanced'?
Edited by Angus McGregor

6 hours ago, akd said:

So you still haven't set sail with signal perk to create open battles around capital?  Worried you might end up in a fair fight?

I logged on tonight for the first time in a month or so... Looked at the new reedemable german ship. Saw a single AI ship. But no-one near the danish capital. Only 300 online. So I logged out again. But nice for you that you have a good time with this game. For me this game died some time ago. PvP server got transfered to a PvE server becourse of players whining when they lost a ship or got outnumbered or anti-ganked. 

Every new suggestion on an exciting ROE is shot down in here before its even discussed. Every new suggestion on how to enhance PvP play is killed instantly. Many of you guys should be playing on the PvE server. Now that you have killed my server and the life in it all you have left is some AI fleets and even BR-fights if you finally can find some humans on the server.

Bring back PvP play or make a new server please!

• Like 1