Game-Labs Forum

Bermuda question

do we need to ease the bermuda struggles a bit?  

172 members have voted

1. 1. freetown 30-40 mins away from bermuda

• yes
    • no

In my opinion, its only attempt to fix the broken idea.

there are no broken ideas when people are testing the game. Please leave your naked and empty statements for other forums or start posting specifics. How broken and why and how would you fix it. .Otherwise don't post

• Like 6

I would absolutely not add a free port anywhere near Bermuda. Part of what makes this resource so precious is how difficult it is to access, which balances its strength as a material.

Basically, making it easy to move cheapens it as a resource.

i know you like the new system :)

• Like 2

Yes to the half-way house.

Those opposed  have good points. It's supposed to be hard, why indeed relieve something that was intended "hard-mode"? I'm completely ok with keeping it as is.

Look at it from from another angle. Now the traffic from Bermuda goes west, south-west and south. If there was a tempting delivery freeport close to Bermuda I'm sure many would use that. That in turn would make it much more viable for rats and privateers to intercept the most precious cargo in the game. It would require traders to really pay attention to the horizon inbound to that spot, and interceptors would enjoy a much higher rate of possible encounters.

It may be "hard" the way it's set up now, but once you're in the vast waters away from Bermuda afk/macro-clicker sailing is 99% safe. All those involved will get bored with the weekly Bermuda haul eventually and will prolly opt for the more risky freeport delivery 40 minute roll of the dice deal.

• Like 4

Indeed at the moment the sail to Bermuda is a afk 2h do something else and let the game run in the background thing .... and that can not be the design goal

For the its so great and so much fun to sail with a warfleet to bermuda faction ... i bet you have and will log out in open water before the next pb because of all the fun :P

Edited by Lonar
  • Like 1

Yes to the half-way house.

Those opposed  have good points. It's supposed to be hard, why indeed relieve something that was intended "hard-mode"? I'm completely ok with keeping it as is.

Look at it from from another angle. Now the traffic from Bermuda goes west, south-west and south. If there was a tempting delivery freeport close to Bermuda I'm sure many would use that. That in turn would make it much more viable for rats and privateers to intercept the most precious cargo in the game. It would require traders to really pay attention to the horizon inbound to that spot, and interceptors would enjoy a much higher rate of possible encounters.

It may be "hard" the way it's set up now, but once you're in the vast waters away from Bermuda afk/macro-clicker sailing is 99% safe. All those involved will get bored with the weekly Bermuda haul eventually and will prolly opt for the more risky freeport delivery 40 minute roll of the dice deal.

I'd rather those people get bored with the haul, it keeps the resource scarce. As it is now, catching a trader from Bermuda is equal parts difficult and easy. It is difficult for the vastness of territory. It is easy for the predictability of paths and the likelihood of the trader being AFK.

Anything that encourages MORE Bermuda Cedar into the economy, I am against, as it makes a very powerful resource disproportionately easy to move.

Your tales of privateers and pirates don't sway me as making it harder to move the goods. I do equal parts econ and privateering, and never once have lost a trade ship. And I don't even sail with an AI fleet as many do.

• Like 4

unless this mystical and magical Free Town of 'Atlantis' it were to be in the F11 (bug report) coordinates of 650 by 450, then my final answer is: NO!

another choice, and logical, is to change the name of the resource from 'Bermuda Cedar'; to 'New World Cedar' and add 2 more locations of production in remote locations.

Edited by vonKrimm
  • Like 1

I personally think the open ocean around Bermuda is wasted space.  I think five or six islands with a few ports each need to be added and yes some ports should be Free Ports.  Put the islands 30 ish minutes apart.  They don't really need to be on the Map like Kidd's but to have hours of empty sailing.... While were at it, how about a few islands in the Gulf of Mexico.  

Edited by Salty Dog PVP1

I'd rather those people get bored with the haul, it keeps the resource scarce. As it is now, catching a trader from Bermuda is equal parts difficult and easy. It is difficult for the vastness of territory. It is easy for the predictability of paths and the likelihood of the trader being AFK.

Anything that encourages MORE Bermuda Cedar into the economy, I am against, as it makes a very powerful resource disproportionately easy to move.

Your tales of privateers and pirates don't sway me as making it harder to move the goods. I do equal parts econ and privateering, and never once have lost a trade ship. And I don't even sail with an AI fleet as many do.

Fine cedar will be scarce no matter how we decide on this matter. It's scarcity is entirely decided by drop rate, not means of transportation. Not here to argue, though. I don't care. You guys with your heart on your sleeve can do as you like.

I never see the point in boredom-tax, that's why i spoke up.

PS. It's exactly BECAUSE you don't drag bots around your traders stay safe. I do as you and haven't lost even as much as wood shavings.

• Like 2

Unless the costs of utilising the delivery system have changed dramatically it would be prohibitively expensive to deliver goods that way anyway. So a free port wouldn't be much use. The whole idea of forcing people into these long sails is a negative one and is killing off trade and crafting. It seems like an idea thought up by RATS.

• Like 1

Unless the costs of utilising the delivery system have changed dramatically it would be prohibitively expensive to deliver goods that way anyway.

When there already are orders up at 5000 gold per fine log it isn't anywhere near prohibitively expensive.

• Like 1

Absolutely no to a free port out there. The struggle is real. It's the one location on the map that feels like a real effort to win. Spend a day there raising hostility, then at end of day, return to homeland and wait for PB to open. If you add a FP near there, it'll just be another easy gank spot. and then make the ports too easy to attack.

• Like 2

I tend to agree with pretty much everything Jodgi has said regarding this topic. Part of the problem is that for the nation in possession of Bermuda and their allies you simply build your forest and port transfer up their once a day or so and collect your wood. You can simply park a few ships up there for defense of the island if needed and other than that go about your day doing whatever it is that you wish to do. Once a week or so you might want to transfer these goods off....or better yet you can bring in the few missing supplies you need to craft your ship there with less risk...then of course just teleport it back to your capital if you want.

Meanwhile, everyone else can try to catch a trade ship loaded with fine Bermuda cedar leaving....kind of like winning the lottery I guess. First you need to find one and then you need to hope he is either afk sailing or pretty incompetent so you can catch him. Of course if he really wants to be spiteful he could always just delete his cargo before the battle starts but that is a separate issue. And lets not forget that this is even really a possibility for European prime time players, otherwise the odds of finding a loaded player trade ship loaded with fine Bermuda cedar when the population is sitting at 300 or less....well yea not gonna happen.

On top of all that the regional crafting bonus at Bermuda is speed for goodness sake. I mean come on man, you have essentially fir without the major penalties combined with a regional speed bonus that only encourages building of the ship there! If I wanted a really fast ship I'd have zero incentive to even leave flatts....I'd just bring in the few missing supplies I need to craft it.....harvest my fine cedar.....build the ship there so never need to risk transferring cargo out....and teleport my finished ship back to my capital when done. Meanwhile I could always toss extra fine cedar on the market right there for an exorbitant sum because can't get it easily anywhere else and collect my profits with zero risk involved.  

• Like 1

...already see enough enemie around bermuda with LGV`s and smuggler flags getting the goods so they are using it even if they cant build the farms there.

<giggles secretly>

Should the design steer people towards ~2 hour afk or 40 minute hands on gameplay?

Yes.

The game is slow enough as it is, open sea sailing for hours on end is a detrimental way to introduce difficulty. It's not difficult, it's just boring as hell.