Game-Labs Forum

Spain is at War

Senhor Lenhador

Do not be surprised to be the most despised nation. Even when fighting some Dutch and American captains they have confessed their shame for participating in this.

Good luck for the future, you require.

If anyone is to be ashamed, it should be the French and Danes for leaving the Spanish to their fate. The Americans sent half of their navy— that's right, 10 of our 20 players :P —to the aid of the British in the Mexico-Yucatan campaign, yet I rarely if ever saw one French ship helping to defend Spanish ports. The US may have a small player base, but we will do what we can to help our allies—and we prepared for it, moving outposts well in advance of the campaign. (yes sailing long distances sucks, and yes, it pays off, when you need to be at two sides of the map in the same weekend).

I feel as though I would be spilling some grand super secret strategy by saying this, but, perhaps you might try to coordinate more with your allies?

And, I might also add, that it is important to know the limitations of what you can achieve with the player base you have. I understand that there is a significance to having traditional Spanish ports in your possession, but there is no possible way that you can defend all those ports alone, with the players you have. For example, look at the Swedes. They have 2, densely packed, blobs of ports, if you will. One of those blobs has been intelligently protected by diplomacy (their home waters sit between Danes and French, with whom they have agreements). This gives the Swedes a comfortable opportunity attack all day long from their ports in northern Haiti. It is easier to fiercely defend 20 ports with 100 players than it is to try to defend 200 ports with 100 players. (if the swedes even have that many). Empires crumble because they over-extend, and even the British are not immune to it.

And, I say this as a United States player, but we as a faction are in for a rude awakening when port timers are a thing of the past, because I know that we have more ports than we could possibly defend (so do the pirates, who, I'm told, reduced the USA faction to nothing last spring). It may entirely change the way we have to play the game, but I am up for the challenge, personally.

Edited by ajffighter86

If anyone is to be ashamed, it should be the French and Danes for leaving the Spanish to their fate. The Americans sent half of their navy— that's right, 10 of our 20 players :P —to the aid of the British in the Mexico-Yucatan campaign, yet I rarely if ever saw one French ship helping to defend Spanish ports. The US may have a small player base, but we will do what we can to help our allies—and we prepared for it, moving outposts well in advance of the campaign. (yes sailing long distances sucks, and yes, it pays off, when you need to be at two sides of the map in the same weekend).

I feel as though I would be spilling some grand super secret strategy by saying this, but, perhaps you might try to coordinate more with your allies?

Spain has been manipulated by their allies to attack Britain in their back merely minutes after the last diplomat left Spanish TS still working on a renewal of the three admirals treaty.

Now that the hammer is falling down on them they are left out in the dust by their friends. Spain could have known this would be coming. Our diplosl told your representative that we would react if they attacked us and Spain could have known from last war that their allies wouldn't help them.

Spanish public players have been betrayed by their big clans. They new this was coming. They did it never the less and now it's these same players crying murder on the forums.

Edited by Chimera

allies , ladies company , lap dogs , vassals, Italy and japan .... who cares ? :lol:

Your insults only add to the opinion people have that Spain is mostly delusional blowhard who fight far better on the forums than at sea. I know this is not true and have great respect for several Spanish captains; the childish name callers and crybabies... I pity them

So basically throw a bunch of flags at us for ports you apparently cant hold, or don't want to have to defend, then set the timers to exclude a portion of the player base from RvR, all this after saying on the forums you all want to conserve the dwindling player base and that you want to promote respectable, fun combat. Class act guys, gotta hand it you.

I, for one, am enthused about finally getting some timers that I can defend that aren't in the middle of goddamn European timers or stuck in the middle of the Bahamas. Some of us have to work, you know! We might actually get an honest to god battle and not these troll flags we've had being pulled for the past month.

Edited by EricKilla

Please, less drama....... This is a game....... Nobody in Spain is saying british atack us without motives.... Nobody in Spain shuns about war......

But, please, let us fight.......... We are less players and worse organised but we wanna fight...... If you conquer a spanish port near our capital, and put saipan timers, you avoid fight against us....... Fear?..... Cowardice?...... I will not be I who say that, but......... Is difficult to understand......

The rest is flamming and a way to avoid the problem..... British have fear to fight against Spain with same weapons..... Even as more players.....

Please, no insults......... Try to seem persons.

• Like 2

Blablabla we are rolling the world with pakistan and martian teamate who justify the timers blablabla your allie are sleeping become our vassal blablabla.

Thanks for all brit intervention.

Now, we are speaking about 2 days in a war. Spansih lost a large territory but most of it was useless. As in antilles wars, what is lost can't be lost. You brits conquer many empty ports and congrats to have split your players in 15 groups of 2 rageboarder ships.

Blablabla we are rolling the world with pakistan and martian teamate who justify the timers blablabla your allie are sleeping become our vassal blablabla.

Thanks for all brit intervention.

Now, we are speaking about 2 days in a war. Spansih lost a large territory but most of it was useless. As in antilles wars, what is lost can't be lost. You brits conquer many empty ports and congrats to have split your players in 15 groups of 2 rageboarder ships.

May I remind you that France started the "lets pull 15 flags at once to avoid fighting" BS when attacking the Dutch.

I am starting to get concerned with your short memory span. You might want to seek a doctor

This is really fun and show all my previous statements to be true. The British nation is in the hands of a bunch of hypocrites and liar brats.

They are adept at lying and discredit other nations. Using the numbers to take empty ports and protecting themselves from combat with Pakistani timers (Of course they argue that this is not to exclude from RvR to its broad base of players of Pakistani origin).

Finally the facts, a month to the next wipe, have demonstrated the moral turpitude of the leaders of the British faction.

Anything goes if you're at war with them. And they come here posing as victims and explaining how they want to be your friends and you deserve their action.

This idiots have sealed the fate of Britain in this server.

Play consciously to undermine other player base is very dangerous. All your cards have been clearly seen. Nobody in this server will forget, even your actual allies.

Do not be surprised to be the most despised nation. Even when fighting some Dutch and American captains they have confessed their shame for participating in this.

This is the biggest pile of lies, nonesense and shit you could possibly compile in such a short message. I simply can't take you seriously anymore - it would do you go to actually put your words and all that to the test in a battle - I never see you there! I genuinely feel I should report you for this intentional collection of lies and bullshit which ruin the players forum and ingame fun and will ahve a torpedoing effect on possible future diplomacy.

Jesus people, stop with the idiocy. British players are doing what the game mechanics are allowing them to do and that is ok. It's a war. It would be bad if they were cheating.

My posts were not meant to be a complaint or to start stupid flame war about who is right and who is wrong because there is no such a thing here. We fight, we win, we lose and the circle goes back. I only used Spain as an example because it was convenient, as stated in one earlier post.

What I wanted to point out is the importance of some kind of a well protected starting area which is even more important for smaller nations or those surrounded by other nations, maybe like in Eve where you get NPC reinforcements if attacked inside the first region where the capital is or something. I just mentioned it and was planning to post it under suggestions thread, but somehow it all got out of hand.

True, attitude of some people here is a bit arrogant and I do get the feeling that if someone here (on forums; in game people are mostly very friendly) doesn't speak English fluently enough or doesn't speak it at all then British players look at those people as if they are beneath them and act all haughty. Also, stop mentioning the fact that you have Spain ports back. Because it is rude. if you give someone something it is rude to throw it into their faces at every opportunity. If you are going to do that, then rather don't give anything.

Chill people, it's a game.

Oh and something good came out of all this. When i was crafting my gold Mercury i got BP for Surprise and niagara. I know no one cares, but YAY I was so happy.  :D

You are correct, this isn't a war. It's pest control.

Wow, you are like a walking, breathing commercial for Durex.

Edited by Todbringer

congrats mate - im looking forward to taking your surprise away from you ;)

I'd like to remind you though that it is actually Brits, US, Dutch and Swedish (maybe Pirates I wouldn't know) who managed to incorporate several languages into their nation quite succesful - we run large amounts of German palyers who have a miserable understanding of English but we make it work quite successfully - Spain, French, Danes on the other hand have regularly by clans/people leaving the respective nation been accused of treating non native speakers with disrespect, withholding intel or simply refusing to translate - now I will probably by some very outspoken characters be called a liar and racist again for this but it is not me who is closing his eyes from this here and again our nation and others do not struggle to incorporate several languages in our campaigns.

I think a lot of people are not looking down on non English speakers but simply do this with a lot of the Spanish who show a delusional and disrespectful attitude towards us. I agree we should all calm our tits but at times it is a bit aggravating.

Edited by JollyRoger1516

You are correct, this isn't a war. It's pest control.

I resent the above as I do some of the other posts in this forum. I'm confident, knowing the players who are active as the British Council, they also reject this level of toxism. Our Spanish opponents are players like us and everybody else. We want to fight them in game and a bit of roleplay/sarcasm is fine but should have his limits. I visited Spain over a dosen times and have always been impressed by their history, culture and their passionate character.

Having that said; We are on on our nations TS every night (the TS is known to your diplo and if not he can PM me), I encourage the Spanish diplos to visit our TS to renegotiate the Spanish position. You are welcome as always in your embassy,

Edited by Gooneybird
  • Like 4

This is the biggest pile of lies, nonesense and shit you could possibly compile in such a short message. I simply can't take you seriously anymore - it would do you go to actually put your words and all that to the test in a battle - I never see you there! I genuinely feel I should report you for this intentional collection of lies and bullshit which ruin the players forum and ingame fun and will ahve a torpedoing effect on possible future diplomacy.

If you say a lie one thousand times It not becomes truth.

at the end , with these absurd mechanical , what you will accomplish is that only will fight against ias.

I agree. Now all you have to do is take it to heart.

You have accomplished the first step now since we all know: recognition of a problem is the first step for betterment

and the problem is always the other , never yours

This is really fun and show all my previous statements to be true. The British nation is in the hands of a bunch of hypocrites and liar brats.

They are adept at lying and discredit other nations. Using the numbers to take empty ports and protecting themselves from combat with Pakistani timers (Of course they argue that this is not to exclude from RvR to its broad base of players of Pakistani origin).

Finally the facts, a month to the next wipe, have demonstrated the moral turpitude of the leaders of the British faction.

Anything goes if you're at war with them. And they come here posing as victims and explaining how they want to be your friends and you deserve their action.

This idiots have sealed the fate of Britain in this server.

Play consciously to undermine other player base is very dangerous. All your cards have been clearly seen. Nobody in this server will forget, even your actual allies.

back to the old p[ort timers issue  lets have a look at some of your other posts

There is no pressure at the moment because we refuse to fight. No fight = no fun for everyone..... alex sd

The gulf is a solitary hole where only pve players want to live and hide their heads like ostriches.... alex sd

Spain don´t consider to have lost the war. If you think this way, I refuse all this thing of the treaty, and you can look for "BIFO" at your convenience wherever you want. See you in November....alex sd

The day you released 12 flags in three hours WE decided not to defend ports anymore.,,,alex sd

But nor we have lost the war nor we have surrendered. If you want you can take more ports. We don´t care. alex sd

AND WE AS A NATION REFUSED TO PROVIDE YOU MORE FUN.    ....alex sd

Simply we told everyone to stop going to the harbor defenses to cause not to be fun for you  .... alex sd

so you are away until November,     the gulf is for ostriches ... you tried us to bore us out of attacking Spain   ..."not to be fun for you " ....well my friend there is a saying you reap what you sow .....you now have no fun you have nothing to attack unless you stay up all night to attack undefended ports ... we have taken your fun away ... so I suggest you stop whining .. and reflect your just getting back what you promised us 

at the end , with these absurd mechanical , what you will accomplish is that only will fight against ias.

and the problem is always the other , never yours

1. take your own advice to heart - pelase do it just once!

2. The ai provides a better fight then 80% of your players (yes some palyers in the Spanish nation I hold in high regards and they have provided me with good fights(mostly people wo dont bitch on the forums)) - at least the ai doesnt go about the forums to bitch and moan and they always show up for the fight.

congrats mate - im looking forward to taking your surprise away from you ;)

I'd like to remind you though that it is actually Brits, US, Dutch and Swedish (maybe Pirates I wouldn't know) who managed to incorporate several languages into their nation quite succesful - we run large amounts of German palyers who have a miserable understanding of English but we make it work quite successfully - Spain, French, Danes on the other hand have regularly by clans/people leaving the respective nation been accused of treating non native speakers with disrespect, withholding intel or simply refusing to translate - now I will probably by some very outspoken characters be called a liar and racist again for this but it is not me who is closing his eyes from this here and again our nation and others do not struggle to incorporate several languages in our campaigns.

I think a lot of people are not looking down on non English speakers but simply do this with a lot of the Spanish who show a delusional and disrespectful attitude towards us. I agree we should all calm our tits but at times it is a bit aggravating.

hehehe, you'll have to wait a bit. Can't get materials nor gold to craft it yet and Robras will likely fall, so no shipyard as well, so until we (Spain) recaptures its ports back i'll be in my Mercury, trying to sneak for some stern carronade action on big British ships.

Well, it was only my impression from reading the forum that British act haughty which insults Spanish players and they insult back and the British players get more haughty and in the end it's a fun merry-go-round.

Now, as for the peace with Spain, the British keep throwing into Spanish faces the fact they gave them back their ports as if they were giving them charity and Spanish are some beggars. And they keep reminding them constantly of that. That kind of peace is like WW1 peace treaty. A peace which guarantees another war. 

Although, tbh, I haven't heard anything from Spanish diplomats why they find British so detesting, so it is only my guess.

I think old adage works well here for both sides: Be humble in victory and gracious in defeat.

EDIT: Oh, one more thing. What worries me is that if Spain is neutral, Britain will defeat the French and Danes and then we will be next for the taking, but this time all alone.

Edited by Todbringer

Im on holiday atm and have been for nearly a week so I´ve missed most of these battles sadly. First things first, well done to GB,VP,US alliance on your offensive. It looks like you organised well, fought hard and brought your numbers to bare where they counted. The Spanish player base knew it would be a struggle going into the war and you’ve given us a whacking so kudos to you guys.

That said lets call a spade a spade and lay some things squarely on the table.

1: Beating an isolated Spain impresses me a whole lot less considering the losses on the Haitian and South American fronts. Spain is part of a broader coalition war and lets not pretend its all been one sided. Credit where credit is due and its due to the Danes, Swedes and French too. It should give us in the Spanish faction some comfort.

2: to GB players; Seeming aggreived that Spain declared war on you is pretty silly as is this victim act of saying its 5 vs 3 and youre being ganged up on and bullied. Spain upheld it part of the 3 Admirals treaty untill its expiry, refused to give any guarantees while we worked out our position post alliance patch and also proposed RvR free zones to protect new players and crafter/traders on both sides. Both Spain and GB acted in good faith but war was inevitable. The simple truth is the way the numbers stack up (using the votes, which while not perfect is still a good rule of thumb); GB is well over double the power of the next faction. That next faction by my reckoning also happens to be VP. It’s the same reason the Swedes declared war, the GB/VP/US alliance means that neutrality by any other faction condemns the rest while pissing off potential allies should the super alliance ever come for us. The Spanish faction could do with a bit more organisation and bit less bravado in some instances but we´ve got our priorities in order when we reject the idea of some players having perpetual RvR hegemony.

3: Lastly, putting Cuban ports on ridiculous timers is a cheap trick. It may be good strategy but its poor sportmanship and anything but playing with a straight bat. It tarnishes what is otherwise a very impressive and well played campaign.

• Like 3

I resent the above as I do some of the other posts in this forum. I'm confident, knowing the players who are active as the British Council, they also reject this level of toxism. Our Spanish opponents are players like us and everybody else. We want to fight them in game and a bit of roleplay/sarcasm is fine but should have his limits. I visited Spain over a dosen times and have always been impressed by their history, culture and their passionate character.

Having that said; We are on on our nations TS every night (the TS is known to your diplo and if not he can PM me), I encourage the Spanish diplos to visit our TS to renegotiate the Spanish position. You are welcome as always in your embassy,

I am pleasantly surprised by the tone of his post, not always been used, but is appreciated the conciliatory tone.

Humbly, which prevents us fight on equal terms with you are the timers southern Cuba ...... do not want peace, because our allies are at war ......... just want to fight to recover our lost ports..... Or at least, the oportunity to try it.....

For this it does not require that any Spanish diplo enter your ts ..... If they do, much better ........ But the fact of changing the timers southern Cuba will only affect you, and You do not need anyone to do so.
Edited by Alvar Fanez de Minaya

If you are fighting a 2 front war you need to close one front as soon as possible.

Stating that you are looking for fights contradicts actions where more than 2 flags are pulled at the same time. Since it becomes increasingly hard to coordinate defense with multiple options for defense and limited capabilities.

Spanish coalition is playing to win and not playing to get fun fights. And I don't blame you to.

But pretty please don't make a fuss about it, when we play to win as well. And playing to win includes using all game mechanics at our disposal.

I don't think it is realistic to expect a faction to loose "on purpose" by not using all the tools available.

Little note about the timers, we stay up very late or wake up very early to take a port that is on a timer that is silly (silly timers as we see it) and put it on a timer that is reasonable to us, as in our prime time.

He who takes the port controls the timer, he who can sacrifice sleep to take that port against the odds wins the spoils of war being the Lord Protector.

This is a simple thing, whoever owns the port sets timer to his liking, not that of the defeated. We fully expect if Spain takes an Aussie port you will set it to EU primetime, that is the game.

• Like 2

So whomever is sad enough to sacrifice sleep on a regular basis just for a chance to snag a game's pixel ports is the kind of game we want?

Pass.

Figures though, the obsession with winning has left the US/AUS timezones killing all the RvR action in their own timezone, so what else are they to do. ^^ Bit bummed about the devs lack of foresight about running a global server, it's been obvious for a pretty long time that the battlelines are likely to be drawn between the timezones leading to junk gameplay like this.