Game-Labs Forum

Spain is at War

Senhor Lenhador

You're really gonna make me give away the strategy, but I am to the point of doing anything to lay some myths to rest:

Mexico was taken with a grand coalition of about 3 mortar brigs and typically no more than five 4th rates. British bought the flags. A few supporting dutch and US ships supplied the squadrons (hardly fitting to call them fleets, working together we might have been able to fill half a battle). By the time the last ports near Vera Cruz fell, we even had a guy jump in with an Indiamen just for the loot. If that is to be defined as an unstoppable force, then there is honestly no hope for Spain. It was, however, highly organized, and that is something Spain and her allies need to work on.

Charleston is not exactly next door to KPR, and just last night I opened a US outpost in Willemstad. —Willemstad! I said. I don't even have the proper footwear.

Simply put, your allies are lazy and disorganized. They did not prepare for a world-wide war. My guess is that they simply spent the time during cease fire to build first rates and grind gold, rather than making the long sailing trips that are necessary to be effective allies. A few Danish or French reno's could have stopped the attacks in the west. But it seems Spain is a better ally to them than they are to you. Perhaps you should vote for war and take ports from them as compensation for not helping you in your time of need.

sunday night it was 1 mortar brig and 1 renommee think we took 3 ports ..  cant understand why spanish are so bothered about port timers in the gulf  they clearly didnt want these ports

I am aware of that ...we cannot fight battles in two places ...anyone with minimal tactical knowledge knows if you are faced with two or more enemies you dont split your force ...you take them on one at a time . we made our  choice of who we would take on first ...now we have to decide who we take on next .. but thats our choice .. its not yours to make for us and certainly not the spanish ... they had their chance this weekend and blew it by refusing to fight ..

Hehehehehehe.... You still continue with your..... bah......

I'm not talking about México gulf.... I'm talking about south Cuba ports...close to our capital.... Shame the times You put there.... Really you think that use shit-timers will You save from us????.... You Will kill our player base but now we have the whole map to Play.... And only one enemy....

Please, less drama....... This is a game....... Nobody in Spain is saying british atack us without motives.... Nobody in Spain shuns about war......

But, please, let us fight.......... We are less players and worse organised but we wanna fight...... If you conquer a spanish port near our capital, and put saipan timers, you avoid fight against us....... Fear?..... Cowardice?...... I will not be I who say that, but......... Is difficult to understand......

The rest is flamming and a way to avoid the problem..... British have fear to fight against Spain with same weapons..... Even as more players.....

Please, no insults......... Try to seem persons.

Sorry mate, but we did not get in a portbattle with 1st rates and leaving after british 1st rates has taken the challenge for defence. I totally agree with the "Let's fight thing" but than I do not understand this move of your noble captains a few days ago in the waters of Santanilla.

Maybe you can agree with me that, at our position this looked like Spain hoped to conquer an undefended port and than ran away because we were ready to take the challenge. And maybe you can agree with me that this happening plus the dozens of flags bought by several enemy-nations at on and the very same time gave us the view that you want to run british sea with fake flags and numbers. This is undermining a healthy atmosphere for a "good" enemyship as well.

This is leading all to the same point. You do something salty, we are angry. We do something salty, you are angry. You are getting salty in forum, okay at this point. But than some of your mates pick it up the hypocrite-britisch-baaad-nation-yaddayadda and we are very salty about this - sorry but true - trash. At this point everyone in british nation-chat is salty and ready to bring this salt to you that will make you more salty. Guess what will happen?

Look you are right. Less drama, more respectful together and we will have fun-fights until domesday. But to come to this point it would be helpfull everyone does his stand for this. From both sides...

Edited by Jonathan Arlington

Look you are right. Less drama, more respectful together and we will have fun-fights until domesday. But to come to this point it would be helpfull everyone does his stand for this. From both sides...

I agree all You want.... But Yor use of timers is shit as numbers say.... Specially in the south of Cuba... You want have fun fights? Put these timers when 80% of british people is conected... Otherwise Shame and cobardly.... Mate.

• Like 1

I got the word about an allied attack Thursday, with suggested ports to base out of. Friday I closed an outpost and spent a couple of hours sailing to the Gulf, setting up a port and moving ships there.

Saturday, in the late afternoon - which would be early evening in Spain, I sailed for about 40 minutes to join a couple of PBs.

Except for a single LGV early on, I never saw a single Don. It seems I put in much more effort than the Spanish did, but go ahead and blame port timers for your lethargy.

Edited by GrapeShot
  • Like 2

Hehehehehehe.... You still continue with your..... bah......

I'm not talking about México gulf.... I'm talking about south Cuba ports...close to our capital.... Shame the times You put there.... Really you think that use shit-timers will You save from us????.... You Will kill our player base but now we have the whole map to Play.... And only one enemy....

sounds good bring it on ...start fighting and stop crying and hiding behind lame port timer excuses ... want to make a point bring your cannons

• Like 1

Sigh.

I think the Spanish/French/Dane/Swede side has not realized the full potential of the alliance mechanic.

It is not about being someone's lap dog. It is about spreading your power around the entire map so that you can coordinate tremendous offensives in certain areas of the game world, or come to mutual aid if it is needed.

here's a tip: If your farthest outpost is less than a 30 minute sail from your capital, you aren't going to have any impact on this war.

Well gentlemen,

This topic has gotten very much out of hand. The personal insults have become direct, intentional and serve no purpose other than to show your ignorance and or general maliciousness, this has been on both sides of the argument. Spain is at War with GB, this is true, however it has been said that it was in the manner the war was fought that dictated the true victor.

Very few here, speaking of the war and the actions taken have presented themselves in a manner that would consider them victorious. Reading the comments about exploits, personal character, the weakness of nations, the skill at which they play and then some very off topic comments from some very angry people. This is a test phase alpha gentlemen, if we don't test it, how will it get better? Does each nation set timers according to when their players are awake, yes, does GB have a large player base, most definitely. However they are spread across an almost 24 hour clock. I would be impressed if we were able to muster double your number at any one time.

I personally will no longer entertain the port timer argument, it will be gone soon and replaced.

I have much respect for many of my enemies, especially those who have fought on to the end, the Swedes and the French were the last I fought in major engagements. My hats were off to those fine folk, everyone fought with honour and decorum, I personally do not enjoy fighting the Spanish.

There are those among the pirate nation (hated that they are) that have also shown exceptional skill and are rightly to be feared in smaller engagements.

However I stress, that the comments being flung around this thread have made me question how old we are, how mature. Because this senseless name calling needs to stop. Either that or like everything else it will be reported, shunned and eventually the poor person who does not change their attitude will find their voice a tiny little squeak amongst the debating adults.

Fight this war as gentlemen, or keep your toxicity to yourself.

Yours hopefully,

Ravenburg.

• Like 4

congratulations, i hope that brits give you a medal

Well, if you lot hand out any medals it will have to be to the NPCs in the Martello towers because they're the only ones who put up any sort of a fight on the Spanish side. :P

Edited by GrapeShot
  • Like 1

I can understand extending the buffer zone against the Spanish is necessary in order to have a few days worth of breathing space when fighting in the east.

However, the British conduct is very heavy handed again and undermines what the Three Admirals treaty has achieved, even considering the Spanish renewed the hostilities. Taking more Gulf ports beyond the northern Yucatan, even if it is just done on a shoestring, serves no strategic purpose, it reeks of pride.

I don't understand that but at least the ES/GB relations are on clear terms: it is war and it is total war now as much as I hate that, both from a historic/rol eplaying perspective and as it makes reciprocal relations across the playerbase extremely hard and harms the game long term.

This is a lose/lose situation, and an unnecessary one.

What I also don't understand is how much the US/VP contribute to the GB flag pulls (and yes, you guys are awesome and not enough has been said about it!) yet the Spaniards are left alone by their allies.

Wars are global now, and maybe it was excusable to drop the ball on this for the first few days but you'd expect Danes or French to show up near Tumbado or fill up Spanish ports in defense eventually.

That never happened, the only flag intercepts I have witnessed were done by the Swedes and Pirates and of course Spanish.

I haven't seen a single Spanish Ally the entire campaign, only useless milling about around KPR and Haiti, and it even makes me angry even though I am the enemy!

Why can the Dutch and [bloody] Colonials :P show up in the far West of the map, and not a single French warship? It can't be the timers, because the Spanish set them faithfully to EU prime, much to their cost.

This has made the war in the West a completely lopsided Blitzkrieg with Spain being more heavily outnumbered than the actual balance of power indicates, and this is not fun for the attacker nor for the defender.

This is a lose/lose situation.

TLDR; 

• Britain: what's with the insatiable craving for Spanish ports
  • Danes, French: get your act together and help the Spaniards
  • US, VP: GB owes you one now
  • Like 8

First i want to say that i understand the frustration and have empathy for Spanish players, I'm not really happy with current situation that is not good for the common players of this Nation and had preferred to see Spain not attacking us and stay kinda neutral instead of waiting for the Brits to be busy on many fronts after the other Nations had pulled flags against us to then start to pull flags out like in the first days.

This said I saw only the player CagaFuegos a few times in the bay with different ships, the only guy that went there alone by himself when seeing a city attacked, he engaged me in his Bucentaure but too far away so i could escape in my connie, later for a different PB he also engaged  another lone players trying to join up while in a third rate this time as far as i know, he looked like a cool guy for the small chat i could have with him and I was pleased to meet him even if it was quick, but he was the single Spanish players presence i met when i tried to go help our guys in the bay, salute to him.

I was often late and wind hates me in this game but during my long trips trying to join our guys i often met some US players joining spontaneously to the areas of battles and asking if help was needed, this while it took them long travel times to do so too, on the other hand i saw none of the Spanish allies even once in the actions i tried to help, i can't speak for the entire actions as i was not present in all but i saw none in the ones i was present.

One thing that shocked me a bit too was the Pinar Del Rio PB, i was with another Brit sailing for maybe 35-40 minutes against the wind trying to get there and see if help was needed, we then met a US player going there and again spontaneously asking if some help was needed, later another Brit was found converging there, we formed a small group.

The time to arrive we were really late to the party, we were 2 connies and 2 ingermanlands, we had seen only one Spanish Frigate heading in the same direction once closer to Cuba,  there was 16 Brits in the PB and none for Spain, we decided to wait outside the port, we spread a bit our 4 ships around the port and barely had time to position ourselves that we started to see Spanish ships poping out on the horizon, we engaged them trying to slow them down and keep at least a couple busy outside in battle with us, we did not knew if this was the entire defense fleet or if there was more coming from all around to join too, first attempt failed due to the BR difference, 2nd one succeeded.

We ended at 4 ships vs 17 Spanish ships, all 4th rates beside a trinc and 2 Frigates, one frigate was probably the player we saw just a bit earlier heading there, and I'm not sure if you had the possibility to escape directly at the start of the match due to the BR difference or not but you decided to fight us instead of escaping the battle and going for a defense attempt on the PB of Pinar Del Rio.

49558020160830232327.jpg

Only 2 Spanish escaped very early in the battle, followed by a third one a bit later, others fought and we of course went to keep you busy targeting and hitting the most of you we could to keep you inside battle, it was suicidal but necessary to try to keep a few busy, once two of us where down and the third one starting to sink most of the Spanish left, leaving 2 ingermans and a frigate chasing the US player that almost managed to get out of this, he was sunk and his sacrifice to help his allies have to be saluted, it was suicidal, he knew it and done it.

Majority of your fleet left the battle when 3 of us were down but it was then too late and PB was over.

You spent your time fighting 4 ships outside instead of defending Pinar del Rio...

I'm not sure if you could leave the battle directly at the start without waiting for the timer or not but in any cases it was a bad strategy from you guys if you wanted to defend and join the PB, you saw us from far away when coming to the port, we were spotted by the frigate just a few minutes earlier, but instead of sending a couple of ships only, maybe the frigates to tag us and keep us locked in battle the time for you all to join the pb you took another decision that ended in a fight just outside keeping your fleet busy for a while and not able to defend Pinar Del Rio.

Again i perfectly understand the frustration of this situation, like someone said earlier i too think many Brits don't really want to have a war with Spain but there is probably not only the Brits to blame for the current situation we ended up now.

Your allies are nowhere to be found and prefer to try capture ports at the other side of the world, our Dutch and US allies done sacrifices leaving them home waters less defended to help us, more organized guys involved in this spent hours sailing, for some very far way from them home waters, to set outposts and be ready with ships there, some others went often spontaneously to the areas and asking if help was needed and i want to salute them for this, hat down to all the guys that were involved in this.

It was really a wonderful feeling to see allies working together doing sacrifices or joining spontaneously and i can only wish to the Spanish Nation players that you will get the same support and great feeling of great allies helping you one of those days. 

• Like 2

Saltiness is getting ever more intense.

Cutting short the rhetoric from both sides, the usual personal attacks, the odd biased nostalgia- the result stays the same.

Spain should have expected every single thing that has happened to them.

British Diplomat explained in full what was going to happen if they renewed hostilities. They did.

Now we don't have to fight the Spanish in the EU time zone courtesy of anti-RvR timers. Tried and tested, it works.

Moral high ground being taken by either side is a load of bollocks, as well we ALL know.

There is no need for further excuses given for British port times.

There is no need for any further explanation about why those timers were picked, or how it affects the outlook of the GB/VP/US alliance.

This is nothing new, gents. And it will happen again as long as the mechanic exists within the game for it to occur.

Forum complaining isn't going to do much aside incense the devs to lock this thread/national news, again.

Regards.

• Like 2

And I've already made clear that the majority of British players frankly cannot be arsed having to deal with the Spanish attacking in the rear while we readdress the eastern front(s).

Conflicts between GB/ESP always end up one way or the other, with both factions finding very little actual enjoyment aside the odd scarce battle that is worthy speaking of.

I respect the Spanish for being as troublesome as they are for GB and its allies, as well as their individual play style. We've both fought each other for far too long, and it essentially has boiled down to avoiding future conflict by any means possible (at least for the GB side that I can speak of).

Sad, but true.

I don't hold any high hopes of this state of affairs ever really changing between the ESP and GB, but it would be a nice change of pace were we not always at each other's throats.

Regards.

• Like 2

I wonder sometimes if people realise that this is just a game.

Its never that easy, a game is never "just a game". People invest time in it, they put efforts in what they do. They try to achieve something. thats the reason the Spanish are mad and they have the right to be mad. At the moment the British council is trying to achieve victory at all cost pushing Spain to submission, forcing them to fight the Port Battles the Brits will allow them to fight in some prearranged ports that would act as a zoo for them to survive. This is what the three admiral treaty was, nothing more, nothing else. It didn't work for the indians it won't work with the spanish.

Launching false flags is a legitimate way of fighting, zerging on a scale like this is just ridiculous. This only emphasize the problems this game has.

Sadly its a problem that only exists at the moment with the british. Every other nation adhere more or less to an unwritten code of conduct. For exemple we like fighting the Dutch, we loose, we win but we fight. this situation is getting ridiculous and more and more British captain understand it. I have personnally spoken to a few of them and some have open up in this forum.

Outside of any propaganda this is simply wrong and a lot of you know it.

Edited by Tenakha Kan
  • Like 4

Tenakha Kan, on 31 Aug 2016 - 12:46 AM, said:

, forcing them to fight the Port Battles the Brits will allow them to fight in some prearranged ports that would act as a zoo for them to survive.

Woah there , slow that roll down right now, the three port that where to be fought over was the Spanish idea, not ours

1, We are not obliged to make it fun for you, you really haven't made it fun for us.

2, Right up until you broke off diplomatic relations, you where told that it would be a no holds barred affair, including port timers, You chose to ignore it.

3, You say your player base will suffer, but you led your player base into this, again, knowing what it would entail.

4, Instead of making friends with at least one of the factions on either side of you (see Sweden ), you choose to attack both. Not exactly tactically astute.

5, The difference is, our allies didn't hang us out to dry. Both the Dutch and the USA players have been exemplary in their support and know we will stand shoulder to shoulder with them. Can you say the same of your allies ?. I'm going to go out on a limb and say no, no you can't.

6, Pick new friends, or even old enemies, who may be more reliable. 

• Like 6

Its never that easy, a game is never "just a game". People invest time in it, they put efforts in what they do. They try to achieve something. thats the reason the Spanish are mad and they have the right to be mad. At the moment the British council is trying to achieve victory at all cost pushing Spain to submission, forcing them to fight the Port Battles the Brits will allow them to fight in some prearranged ports that would act as a zoo for them to survive. This is what the three admiral treaty was, nothing more, nothing else. It didn't work for the indians it won't work with the spanish.

Launching false flags is a legitimate way of fighting, zerging on a scale like this is just ridiculous. This only emphasize the problems this game has.

Sadly its a problem that only exists at the moment with the british. Every other nation adhere more or less to an unwritten code of conduct. For exemple we like fighting the Dutch, we loose, we win but we fight. this situation is getting ridiculous and more and more British captain understand it. I have personnally spoken to a few of them and some have open up in this forum.

Outside of any propaganda this is simply wrong and a lot of you know it.

What code of conduct might that be exactly? If it is about port timers, you have come to the wrong discussion. Unless what is being stated here is that Australasian time zones are not a legitimate time zone in this game?

Or are we expanding that to say that only Australian players may set Australian time zone flags. My goodness, are we segregating? =P

What code of conduct might that be exactly? If it is about port timers, you have come to the wrong discussion. Unless what is being stated here is that Australasian time zones are not a legitimate time zone in this game?

Or are we expanding that to say that only Australian players may set Australian time zone flags. My goodness, are we segregating? =P

In this case I was not talking about port timers, I was talking about zerging