Game-Labs Forum

Hotfix 9.91 - Prohibition is cancelled/Groups are fixed for full use of rum

admin

The pirate reload perk is no 10%. Nice.

Considering how soon it happened you know that it was a case of crying before trying.

Did a fleet mission today using my St Pavel and made around 170K and a couple of grey/green upgrades. Spent 5K on repairs and another 50K on replenishing crew (from this and a few other fights). Was left with over 120K in pure profit. What is the problem with crew prices again?

Great for you on a St Pavel! My missions on a Constitution are not that remunerative.

+20% fire rate for Nationals only = game breaker  unbalances game too much.  Way too much advantage for Nationals over Pirates

Officer remains healthy if I surrender = game breaker now everyone surrenders due to keeping the 10 lives for the officer

PVP value of game has been seriously reduced...especially for Pirate class

Recommend removal of +20% fire rate

Recommend surrender penalty of loss of 5,000 XP for each surrender...demotion of character being the eventual result of too many surrenders

hehe you are shurly one of those guys who need 20 % more firepower then everybody else to have a fair fight .... and nobody said nay ... somebody said ... this way breakes the game .. and if you ask players with skill you get the same answer ...

I haven't even got a clue WTH that's supposed to mean and why you would say it, you know nothing about me.  Do we need to repeat to you the definition of trolling?  Here now you have your response, you were successful.  And wow, once again nothing added to the conversation.  Congratulations.

+20% fire rate for Nationals only = game breaker  unbalances game too much.  Way too much advantage for Nationals over Pirates

Officer remains healthy if I surrender = game breaker now everyone surrenders due to keeping the 10 lives for the officer

PVP value of game has been seriously reduced...especially for Pirate class

Recommend removal of +20% fire rate

Recommend surrender penalty of loss of 5,000 XP for each surrender...demotion of character being the eventual result of too many surrenders

In real life nations sailors (like Britain, France, US, etc...) were well drilled in reloading cannons, and battles in most cases ended in surrender. Was rare a ship fight to the dead of all crew or until sink.

so i just sank a spanish indiaman.

except i didnt kill him. see. we fought for a good while, i destroyed enough of his ship that he floundered. HOWEVER....devs.. he surrendered, saved his crew, AND i didnt get credit for the kill. which means my income from the battle is decreased IMMENSELY. this is not good. 

please change so that IF your ship is beyond saving you cannot surrender, or if you do at least credit the kill.why bother PVPing if the target can simply surrender out at the last second and take next to no losses. 

before any one cries gank this was 1v1 frig vs indiaman. no NPC's

so i just sank a spanish indiaman.

except i didnt kill him. see. we fought for a good while, i destroyed enough of his ship that he floundered. HOWEVER....devs.. he surrendered, saved his crew, AND i didnt get credit for the kill. which means my income from the battle is decreased IMMENSELY. this is not good.

please change so that IF your ship is beyond saving you cannot surrender, or if you do at least credit the kill.why bother PVPing if the target can simply surrender out at the last second and take next to no losses.

before any one cries gank this was 1v1 frig vs indiaman. no NPC's

You got his ship AND whatever he was carrying to sell now. THERE is your extra reward.

• Like 1

reduce that 20% bonus to 10% was a step into the right direktion ... its no longer broken ... only imba... if you guys half that to 5% relode bonus ... it would be a fair thing

Any faction-based bonuses are corrosive to the spirit of the game and good PvP. Every fight a pirate loses will now be a result of Pirate Hunter bonus. Every time someone gets ganked by a pirate, it will be because of Pirate speed bonus. Of course this will not be true, but faction bonuses (especially big ones) create the perception that skill is no longer paramount, and an environment where people believe that no fight can ever be fair. While 5% reload reductions (and perhaps .25kn speed boosts) are less destructive, they are still a flawed approach to making officers interesting.

In my opinion we already achieved a fine balance of skill vs. upgrade options when it comes to combat bonuses, particularly speed and reload. In fact, we reached it through much blood, sweat and tears. They are meaningful, valuable, but not decisive. Tossing in huge bonuses on top of this is wrecking that balance, and changing this to a very different game. The sad thing is that there is no reason officers have to come with stacking bonuses on top of existing upgrades. If you can't think of a new and interesting bonuses unique to officers vs. upgrades, consider instead migrating some upgrade bonuses to officer skills. There are in my opinion already too many physical upgrades offering bonuses that stack with existing upgrades, that make little sense as physical upgrades, and that could work much better as officer skills. Many of the recently added upgrades would be much more interesting as officer perk choices you can make through the course of earning XP by your preferred means, rather than random drops you are forced to grind PvE (or now grind fishing) to ever have a chance of seeing. For example, Steel Toolbox combined with Survival Handbooks is an extremely powerful combination (possibly OP), but neither make much sense as a physical upgrade. Why not either combine them into a powerful officer perk, or move one of them to an officer perk so that there aren't two stacking repair upgrades with no negatives at all?

----

Regarding surrending, it is quite obvious that something will need to be done about surrendering while sinking or on fire. Otherwise we are stuck with outcomes where I never lose an officer life, but you never get a prize. I would suggest:

Harsh: you cannot surrender while taking water or burning. Simplest, but I'm not a huge fan of this because it will lead to unnatural outcomes (premature surrender or unable to surrender when taking tiny amounts of water due to side "integrity" being gone).

Gentle: after surrender, ship receives a huge survival bonus for pumping out water, repairing leaks and dousing fires, or surrendering simply freezes the current damage state of the ship (water rises no higher, fire does not progress any further). Basically a surrendered ship would never sink or burn down. This is logical to a degree as a surrendered ship is no longer in combat and can focus fully on survival, and the ship might even receive help from prize crews coming aboard via ships' boats. A crew is not going to strike their colors then merrily stand by as the ship sinks under them. Problem is that everyone will always unnaturally fight to the last possible moment then surrender, rather than having to gauge the risk / sacrifice of fighting on vs. surrender.

In between: if you are on fire or taking water, surrendering has an exit with officer life cooldown. You strike as normal, but cannot immediately exit and outcomes for the ship are tracked for X minutes or until an enemy takes possession of the ship. If your ship sinks or explodes in this time, you still lose an officer life. Surrendered ships would of course need to have damage turned off (I think they do already), and come with some amount of survival bonus as above, although perhaps not a guarantee of staying float. This way waiting until the last moment to surrender so no one ever gets a prize becomes a big gamble, but the other team still needs to take care of their prizes to some degree.

And getting no kills for surrendered ships after actually fighting and delivering significant damage is surely a bug, is it not?

• Like 6

RNG ? every1 has the some chance not to win the lottery :)

How to avoid it ? Most other MMO's have daily freebies, to reward the player for daily log-in. These increase in quality, eg in one game I play i get 50 coins day 1, 100 day 2....nice reward day 6, even better day 7, rinse repeat again with day 1

Why not install this here and throw in a bottle on 1 of the days and maybe even a BP ?

more serious issues:

Fleet.

1) One should be able to use existing ships, with their upgrades and cannons ! If those would cause unbalance, why not just deactivate them, while the ship is in a fleet ? Right now i would have to either destroy th permanent upgrades in my ships to use them as fleet or I would have to craft new ones...

2) Haven't tested small fleet ships yet, but the fleet AI is helpless when using large ones. I went into battle on an Ingermanland myself + Bellona as fleet, the Bellona didnt do more than 1 broadside while i did 5, it missed most shots and after the first salvo failed to close in again.

As of now, a Bellona is useless for fleet.

^^^ I have to agree with the fleet requirement of removing all upgrades and cannons prior to use.  Please consider allowing the existing ships in a Captains harbor for use in fleets.  Set up the fleet option to automatically remove the benefit of any onboard upgrades and change the cannons to what ever standard type you wish us to use.  Then re-activate the upgrades when we pull the ships out of fleet status.

Edited by Anvil 36
  • Like 3

I don't find pirate Hunter to be that unbalanced but whatever. The Devs seemed to have felt the need to cave in to the whiny and change it by the second day of testing.

Edited by Bach
  • Like 2

Feel free to switch to pirate to test it.

I am a pirate.

You have to weigh in the whole picture.

First the NAT has to spend a large amount of his perk points on just fighting pirates. It also costs him a slot that could have been used for speed. So IF a NAT decides to buy pirate Hunter he is also giving the pirate an additional speed advantage over him. As well as neutering himself by one major perk vs the other 6 nations. He becomes very anti-pirate specialized but also slower than most pirates.

Next is the actual open world implementation. Most of us attack in Wolf packs against 1 or two NAT targets. Most of these targets are chosen by us and let's be honest we chose them because we already have them at a disadvantage. 20% reload isn't really likely to swing that contest. Further, if we don't like the contest we just sail away faster than the +20% opposition. Now if the NATS mix in ships and get a speedy ship to demast us so the +20% ships can engage that's ok too as we were probably going to be caught and sunk even if they didn't have +20%.

About the only consistent time pirate Hunter and determined defender perks make the difference is in 1v1 fights. In which case more pirates will take pirate Hunter for fighting each other than the nats will.

Edited by Bach
  • Like 1

I am a pirate.

You have to weigh in the whole picture.

First the NAT has to spend a large amount of his perk points on just fighting pirates. It also costs him a slot that could have been used for speed. So IF a NAT decides to buy pirate Hunter he is also giving the pirate an additional speed advantage over him. As well as neutering himself by one major perk vs the other 6 nations. He becomes very anti-pirate specialized but also slower than most pirates.

Next is the actual open world implementation. Most of us attack in Wolf packs against 1 or two NAT targets. Most of these targets are chosen by us and let's be honest we chose them because we already have them at a disadvantage. 20% reload isn't really likely to swing that contest. Further, if we don't like the contest we just sail away faster than the +20% opposition. Now if the NATS mix in ships and get a speedy ship to demast us so the +20% ships can engage that's ok too as we were probably going to be caught and sunk even if they didn't have +20%.

About the only consistent time pirate Hunter and determined defender perks make the difference is in 1v1 fights. In which case more pirates will take pirate Hunter for fighting each other than the nats will.

I have a completely different opinion about this. This perk forces (forced) pirates to do ganking rather than fair fights. Getting the 6 points for it and having 5 perk slots, there is no real trade in for getting it. you can still take double shot, defender, your ship mastery and heck even prepared or pirate in case you fight another nat yourself.

There is no downside to taking it, its not like it lowers your relaod against nations by the same amount it boosts it against pirates or anything.

That being said, i dont like the speed bonus against nationals as well (working for nat vs nat as well right now btw)

Oh and by the way, i dont consider most of the posts about it here being whiny, many of them actually had a lot of good reasoning to it and did explain the concerns with this perk (and many others) quite well

On the other hand, any pirate trying to do fair or 1v1 fights is at a severe disadvantage from the start. sure he is 1knot faster than the enemy (if he got pirate and the ship master), but thats only good for running someone down or escaping. So it basically forces pirates into ganking or running.

The game should be skill based, not gear/perk based. Before this, everyone could get the same bonuses as his enemy, it only depended on the preferred setup and gold you were willing to sink into it. Now, some players are barred from getting certain combat related things (pirates relaod bonuses against nats and nats speed against pirates)

Thats not really the way i want to see the game taking

Tuning it down is the right way, my opinion is still that the game should remain skill-based.

As akd said earlier:

Any faction-based bonuses are corrosive to the spirit of the game and good PvP. Every fight a pirate loses will now be a result of Pirate Hunter bonus. Every time someone gets ganked by a pirate, it will be because of Pirate speed bonus. Of course this will not be true, but faction bonuses (especially big ones) create the perception that skill is no longer paramount, and an environment where people believe that no fight can ever be fair. While 5% reload reductions (and perhaps .25kn speed boosts) are less destructive, they are still a flawed approach to making officers interesting.
Edited by Sharden
  • Like 1

I believe that the bottles broke the economy.  Will recover from it..  But I believe that there are way too many bottles in the game right now.

Hyper inflation.

Gold is so cheap that you get it cheaper from the capital, than from your buildings.

Decrease the bottle rate so that you may get one per week or per month.  Something special to get.  And only allow fishing for traders, or/and even in that case, maybe you should need an upgrade.

Edited by Cmdr RideZ

The problem with the surrender mechanic is that it actually reduces xp for the opposition. I realize giving full xp for the surrender would open up to abuses. Now it's true that it does leave the opposition theoretically with the surrenderees hull and cargo. But in the new crew game that is only useful 50% or so of the time and certainly only useful while ships can still be teleported to ports. Once ship have to be sailed back to port most all of those surrendered hulks will have to just be sunk at sea.

However, a surrender is actually a negotiation. It's not a one sided thing. Perhaps the opposition is asked if it will accept the surrender. Then if they want the hulk or cargo the contest ends right there. If they want to maybe they deny. Or if they want to cost the target an economic blow they sink the ship and cost an officer life. In war part of the goal is to reduce the enemy officer corps.

Some suggestions:

Make surrender have to be accepted.

Make it so the officer is capturable and can be ransomed back to the owner as a term of surrender.

Make surrender terms players can choose from a list and actually negotiate surrenders or deny them.

Edited by Bach
  • Like 2