Game-Labs Forum

Do we need loot items in NA? (Last call)

I've touched this topic many times and the only reason for this is that I strongly believe loot items will make this beautiful game more addicting and historically accurate. We all know ships carried valuable items that were shipped from port to port by trading companies, royalty or just collectors. Adding these loot items to ships and assigning % drop to each vessel will attract more players to ship hunting on OS. Loot can be even greater in PvP fights and can drop much more valuable items. In addition to these items, add item collections. Thise are simple missions - collect all items on the list and deliver them to a collector for a nice reward. Loot items can be expanded greatly if needed. 

I would like to hear developer and community thoughts on game loot items. I promise never to touch this topic again if it doesn't interest NA community.  

Here is a link to my prototype loot chart. It's a quick basic example. Feel free to suggest loot item names, prices and drop mechanics.

Thanks,

Wind.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/u5z8hd0r285ycaq/Loot%20Chart.xlsx?dl=0 

2796F68B00000578-3039674-image-a-1_14290

AAEAAQAAAAAAAAWmAAAAJDM5MzBhN2ZhLTQ1OGQt

• Like 13

loot is one of the features in a very raw basic state

we don't know if it is going to be improved in the near future, but if we do - we will definitely make it better. 

One thing we wanted to avoid is gear grind (which exists in some form but still is available to anyone from any level if you have some in game cash)

Successful loot systems always revolve around grind.

• Like 3

This may not be the right place to say this, but...

What I'd also like to see is one GRAND vessel per nation added that is solely AI controlled and guarded by a grand fleet. Following current rules, it would be immediately sold to admiralty upon capture, and put back into service for the capturing nation.  To capture it would cause bragging rights for the capturing nation, and inflame the nation that lost her.  These vessels would always be at sea, and their location undisclosed.  They must be tracked down, and when discovered, larger fleets would gather to either capture, or protect her.  These battles would have much higher payouts, to encourage participation, and if captured, two or three ships of the capturing team would be guaranteed exceptional quality upgrades in addition to experience and gold.

This would probably fall more into endgame, but how exciting could/would it be?

• Like 1

Yes add the loot. This is a great mechanic for the future gameplay of pirates and privateers. :)

+1

Loot should be different from a warship than from a trader. For example capture a warship and it is carrying gold/silver coins vs. raw materials that a trader would be carrying.

Not sure I get why loot drops would be related to gear grind though?

• Like 2

Something I thought of (not a monetary loot, but prestige loot) would be being able to take a captain's sword (players only, not AI) when you board and capture them. Then having the option to display them (or a few that you can select) in a sort of 'captains cabin' in a player profile, showing where they're from and who the enemy captain was.

Example-

Captain admin (Frigate)

Admiral Wind (Victory)

etc.

Would serve as a reminder and proof of your PvP victories.

Edited by Treveli
  • Like 2

loot is one of the features in a very raw basic state

we don't know if it is going to be improved in the near future, but if we do - we will definitely make it better. 

One thing we wanted to avoid is gear grind (which exists in some form but still is available to anyone from any level if you have some in game cash)

We do have a massive grind for xp right now, so why not add these loot collections for xp reward? Speed things up a little, make it fun and more attractive. Also, I am not talking gear grind, more like xp, cash and booster packs when exchanged. 

Exchanged consumable items:

ex. Citrus Drink  +2% reload bonus for 5 mins when consumed.

Old clock - -5% time to Raise Sails for 5 mins when used.

Royal Canvas - +5% OS speed for 20 mins when consumed. 

Encyclopedia - +10% Gold drop for 1 hour. 

• Like 1

No, please please no consumables. We have upgrades for bonuses. Keep it simple. What would be cool is loot collections you can trade in for gold and/or XP and possibly missions attached to this.

I am just dumping ideas here. Why do you think consumables is a bad idea? They can be tradable and won't require you to grind in order to obtain them. Let PvE crowd work. 

• Like 2

I'm game for anything that isn't a repair item.  Happy to get loot when it's rarely given, but getting really tired of always seeing that it's a repair item.

Cannon upgrades... anyone?  Anyone??

Edited by Baaz

I think Treveli has a good suggestion here in that each ship comes with a customizable cabin that contains valuables. capturing that ship should give you one or many of the players prized possessions.

Loot drops are cool but capturing player loot is fun too.

Lewts are cool. Even :Lutes are cool.

Plunder! I like the idea that sometimes Loot can lead to "sub-missions" / Quests to return  the loot or transport the loot to a place.

Maybe you could add a "Flag" Like a Port Capture Flag to a ship carrying special loot so people know if they can capture it THEY can get the loot, which will make OW travel with it much more of an adventure if you have to sail with it to Port X to get the reward!

Edited by VonVolks

Agreed.

No.

No to loot.

It is PvE-MMO stuff.

If have done this all my gaming life. I am finished with collecting and using

Kanai's Cube (Diablo) back in these old day´s I loved it and I loved the "Stone of Jordan" runs.

Doing it over and over again, grind, NO.

Finally, everything gets either monetarized (= converted into Gold) or you need to

implement "magical" wonder-weapons and stuff.

Agreed.

No.

No to loot.

It is PvE-MMO stuff.

If have done this all my gaming life. I am finished with collecting and using

Kanai's Cube (Diablo) back in these old day´s I loved it and I loved the "Stone of Jordan" runs.

Doing it over and over again, grind, NO.

Finally, everything gets either monetarized (= converted into Gold) or you need to

implement "magical" wonder-weapons and stuff.

I'm sorry, but I have to disagree here.   Without loot, why have pirates, trade ships, or any commerce at all?  Something has to be there to provide incentive to even engage another ship or player.  Without a loot system of some sort, all you have is World of Warships.  And quite frankly, after grinding multiple tier 10's, I'm quite tired of that game.

Without loot, why have pirates, trade ships, or any commerce at all?

I wase stating "no loot" on top what is there now.

"Loot" now is the ship and money.

Maybe something else, With NO I mean "no loot" in the sense of doing "runs" to get the last piece

of a set, being completed, gives you 5% on your cannons...

ofc u can disagree.

Some are "collectors" and like it, I don´t anymore...

I am a "wargamer", and sinking enemy ships and raiding ports

is enough incentive.

• Like 1

We do have a massive grind for xp right now, so why not add these loot collections for xp reward? Speed things up a little, make it fun and more attractive. Also, I am not talking gear grind, more like xp, cash and booster packs when exchanged.

ex. Citrus Drink +2% reload bonus for 5 mins when consumed.

Old clock - -5% time to Raise Sails for 5 mins when used.

Please no magic potions.

Loot should be confined to a ship's cargo, or logical drops from warships like repair kits (an abstraction for taking stores out of a capture or salvaging stores from a wreck.) RNG drops are not needed at all for PvP. You get what the player carried, which is the ultimate loot system.

The upgrade drop RNG loot system is extremely grindy, very fake and exploitable. Upgrades should be a central part of the player economy and officer recruitment system. I should not have to grind hours and hours of AI to have access to yellow Marines (and I have grinded hours and hours of AI, and still don't have the yellow Marines option), but should instead hire a Marine officer with an especially large contingent of marines, or some other logical interaction with the game world.

• Like 2

ex. Citrus Drink  +2% reload bonus for 5 mins when consumed.

Old clock - -5% time to Raise Sails for 5 mins when used.

oh, no no
  • Like 1