Game-Labs Forum

Merge the nations!

Another scream for merging the nations for more fun in rvr. 

Brits can't do proper rvr due to low pvp player numbers and high carebaer numbers.  

Dutch are simply unwilling to rvr. 

Russia can't rvr due to low numbers. 

France don't do rvr due to their peaceful day team and monopole night team. 

US, never heard of any significant rvr activity. 

Pirates: everyone left the sinking boat, is now a seal nation. 

I just forgot the existence of Poland. 

Leaves only 4 nations with rvr potential:

Spain only does when next to capital

Denmark with two medium sized teams that don't play together

Sweden the old server police that dies through boredom in rvr and no potential to grow in any direction 

and Prussia the new winning team 

Would we merge the dead nations we would end with 5 nations that could do rvr. 

And yes, I favor a clan based game instead of nations but that's not gonna happen.

Edited by Trashman
  • Like 4

No merges. Nations, like Prussia are starting to take on unique cultures and identities that will appeal to all sorts of players. It's good for the game to keep the nations we have now. Sometimes I fear that calls to merge or remove nations is part of a plot to just destroy nations people don't like.

Prussia aint "the winning team", at least for now lol. Still lots of ways we can improve, we're an incredibly mixed up nation (players from Russia, USA, GB, Germany, Poland, Greece, Switzerland, ...), so communication can be an issue

Generally I dont think the main issue is having as many nations as we got atm. The issue is that it can be very hard to motivate players to participate. Im sure nations like Spain, GB, France etc could get reasonable fleets going, its just that noone can really motivate the main player base (casuals with "only" 1-2h per day) to spend their online time to first grind HORRIBLY boring PvE and then only the day after to have the PB. 

It might be that having the PB on the same day was better (more action). But then there should also be some sort of limit in terms of PBs a nation can have per day; maybe 3. We want to encourage fights after all and not dull port swaps.

Or it might also just be that the game gets repetitve after x thousands of hours and therefore vets arent too interested in PBs anymore. Game could use some "fresh blood" (also being interested in RvR) to spice things up ; UI and tutorial should help with that.

Edited by Liq
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, Trashman said:

Another scream for merging the nations for more fun in rvr. 

Brits can't do proper rvr due to low pvp player numbers and high carebaer numbers.  Agreed, but it is a british problem - get them organized and out there and they'd own the server. Skill has nothing to do with it - zerg the server.

Dutch are simply unwilling to rvr. A choice they've made and have every right to. I can't say that I understand them since they have more numbers than DK/NG

Russia can't rvr due to low numbers. Larger than DK/NG and has a huge potential - I wouldn't count them out just because they're currently licking their wounds and shoring up their holdings. 

France don't do rvr due to their peaceful day team and monopole night team. Wouldn't be fixed by a merge of the nations.

US, never heard of any significant rvr activity. Could historically be removed and the ports initially set to brits. But I'd wager that would cause an uproar among the 15 active US players.

Pirates: everyone left the sinking boat, is now a seal nation. One clan left the pirates - it just happened to be the only active one. The pirates has nearly the same numbers as the brits - get them organized and they'd be able to make a mark. I do however believe they should be removed as a nation and replaced with a decent privateer mechanic instead. Ofc in terms of RoE it would mean that pirates wouldn't exist but let's be honest - the current faction ingame has nothing to do with pirates but everything to do with a nation.. Except no leadership.

I just forgot the existence of Poland. As did the rest of us.

Leaves only 4 nations with rvr potential:

Spain only does when next to capital The spanish has succesfully pursued and accomplished an RvR domination in the gulf alongside their french allies. Can't fault them for their success - fault their enemies for not performing better.

Denmark with two medium sized teams that don't play together We cooperate as much as possible in regards to the language barrier, and if you attacked a BF port you'd see more than BF players there.

Sweden the old server police that dies through boredom in rvr and no potential to grow in any direction I'm guessing the swedes still has some potential and they could ofc attack just for the fun of it. The current rulers of the server has becoming a bit dormant lately but who to attack? - DK/NG is right next door but no war between DK/NG and Sweden has ever resulted in a win for either side, only losers while the rest of the server celebrates.

and Prussia the new winning team A shitload of good PvP'ers joined the faction and let's face it they've got a lot of potential.

Would we merge the dead nations we would end with 5 nations that could do rvr. 

And yes, I favor a clan based game instead of nations but that's not gonna happen.

If I were to write my recommendation I'd say - remove PL, DE, Russia. US and the pirates as nations. That would leave us with DK/NG as the largest, Sweden (as a vassal of Denmark-Norway), Brittain, Spain, France and the Netherlands. This is still relatively historically accurate since the only historical nation with a presence in the carribean missing out is the US and they didn't exist before 1776.. Six nations rather than the current tally of 11 and a decent privateer/pirate mechanic that might be introduced.

This would ofcourse leave a bit of a discrepancy since the ships we're currently sailing is mostly from the 1800's and the armaments hails from the 1830s (apparently poods were used in warships extensively from around that date).. The easiest way to keep the games historical backset intact would be to retain the US, but as OP writes - the US has hardly ever done anything worthwhile in the server.

7 minutes ago, RKY said:

Make prussia pay 150% taxes.

39 minutes ago, Lars Kjaer said:

remove PL, DE, Russia

Before you ask for removing nations, check how it's going to affect the community. Prussia is right now becoming a nation that counts, like Russia did some time ago. Removing Prussia now is simply throwing away all the hard work that was put into a nation-building. If you remove it, many people will get angry and quit.

Nations which are dead could be removed, however not those that are alive and well.

Pirates becoming another hardcore nation is a good idea I think. If this happens though, pirates should get forged papers to be able to switch...

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, vazco said:

Before you ask for removing nations, check how it's going to affect the community. Prussia is right now becoming a nation that counts, like Russia did some time ago. Removing Prussia now is simply throwing away all the hard work that was put into a nation-building. If you remove it, many people will get angry and quit.

Nations which are dead could be removed, however not those that are alive and well.

Pirates becoming another hardcore nation is a good idea I think. If this happens though, pirates should get forged papers to be able to switch...

I agree that there's been a lot of hardwork put into Prussia. I was against the creation of the new factions from the start since I really didn't see much sense in them and the paradox atm is that of the historical nations, the US and the Dutch are basically inactive while the DE and Russians are very much alive and kicking. I am not in any way saying that the accomplishments of the DE and Russia is not to be celebrated, I'm merely advocated for a retention of factions based in something other than the current aquis communitaire.

5 minutes ago, Waffen of Trashburg said:

And also when u have more nations, u have more pvp. 

On paper that might seem like it. The problem you don't see is the distribution of those players around the map. Let's say in nation US you have a few guys that like to fight, but those players keep in their area. As GB player you would need to sail all the way to their territory to maybe get them into a battle. But if those players are already in another battle, GB player sailed all the way up for the nothing. 

Less nations means more players per nation and and therefore more players at the same area. And therefore the amount of pvp you get in hostile territory to be increased. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Lars Kjaer said:

I can't say that I understand them since they have more numbers than DK/NG

DK consistently brings 2 port battle fleets down into our territory at a time, when we can only bring half of one. denmark has access to woods we do not as well. the unique ID login thing is BS at best. and in terms of RVR, we cant form a port battle fleet consistently in any time zone. so there you go. "more numbers" my ass

2 minutes ago, Trashman said:

Less nations means more players per nation and and therefore more players at the same area. And therefore the amount of pvp you get in hostile territory to be increased. 

There is nothing to force players to stay in the same area though, not everyone plays out of a capital city. The map will remain the same size, there will still be ~380 ports for a peak of ~600 players per day. Reducing the amount of nations will do nothing to increase PvP, you are just lowering the total percentage of total enemies. That is not an opinion, that is just statistics.

The patrol missions are a great start to encourage more PvP, there needs to be more ideas like that.

The simplest way to improve rvr is to have a centralized hostility generator. This way the strong nations will be at war and the rvr we are doing at the moment will be secondary. Like nation wars and provincial wars.!

Edited by AxIslander
  • Like 1

Come on guys, nations don't really matter with your rvr problem, so let them stay.

RvR isn't everyones darling, especially if you're not inclined to play 4-5 hours several days in a row. And maybe still some people prefer to hunt solo or in small groups in enemy waters - and sometimes it happens that they fly the black i was told... ;-)

But it is a good idea to make pirates the most vile hardcore nation with NO safe zones and WITH outlaw battles.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bragan Benigaris said:

Come on guys, nations don't really matter with your rvr problem, so let them stay.

RvR isn't everyones darling, especially if you're not inclined to play 4-5 hours several days in a row. And maybe still some people prefer to hunt solo or in small groups in enemy waters - and sometimes it happens that they fly the black i was told... ;-)

But it is a good idea to make pirates the most vile hardcore nation with NO safe zones and WITH outlaw battles.

And NO taxes!!! Pirates don't pay taxes to anyone, that's why they're Pirates. ;) 

Edited by The Wren
  • Like 3

You're a pirate and need a ship? Go and capture one!

Or make a deal with the devil and sell your black soul for one!

If the devil is busy at the moment, perhaps a national will suffice... :P

I wouldn't mind if pirates could only live out of freeports and maintain none or only small shipyards (lvl 1 or max. 2). And i even can't imagine Captain Jack Sparrow doing woodworks - would be much too dangerous! :lol:

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Waffen of Trashburg said:

And also when u have more nations, u have more pvp. Problem is people prefered to make na pve, cut some rewords after rank M&C and we have more action in pvp ;)

Unfortunately not. Because you end up with people that have to switch nations to get any kind of PvP for several reasons including numbers and time. And with the more than half dead server its hard enough already as it is.

1 hour ago, RKY said:

pirates were loved for most of these 250 years.

This is the by product of Victorian romance, sorry.. They were never ever loved and even their own base of support ended turning them in. And all the records prove that, both in summary executions at sea, tribunal processes and subsequent executions and even the populations that "did support them turning on them". Do not confuse privateers and "elizabethian sea dogs" or the french tradition of "guerre de corse" with pyracy please.

• Like 4

for all the people  who want a merge with nations ,If you want a merge >

you can all use forged papers

you have the time until 15- 03- 2018.

use it and stop whining  about merge nations  i personally don't see the grass greener at my neighbors backyard 

nations are just fine we actually need more...... lol.  perhaps there is a chinese jonk captain  who wants to sail to the caribbean...

perhaps people needs to be told basics rules: like a ball who miss the target does do no damage, the only benefit for you is, you will be faster to run away...if you throw your cargo overboard:))

Edited by Thonys