Game-Labs Forum

>>>Beta 1.05 Available!<<< (Update: 18, PRE-RELEASE)

Nick Thomadis

2 hours ago, o Barão said:

Displacement info improvement.

BrxR0Hf.jpg

trVYBP8.jpg

- In this example i have a total 6307tons to use.

- I only need 3900 tons.

- In battle the UI is telling the player the total displacement that was available in the design process but not the "real" displacement value.

That sounds correct. Displacement and hull size are intrinsically linked due to the way buoyancy works.

So to have a hull that size, it HAS to weight 6307 tons. The fact you only put 4000 tones of equipment on it just means the other 2300 tons is all ballast to actually stop the ship riding so high out of the water that its completely unstable.

• Like 2

hmmm...it happened again. Again, my destroyers torpedoed my battlecruisers, while being 1.5kms away from them. I know, it was supposed to be fixed, but it keeps happening. On a related note, yesterday, a group of my light cruisers managed to sink one of my transports. That would not be dramatic, but the cruisers stood between the enemy and the merchant ships. So some torpedoes were fired in the opposite direction.

Another side note, or request, please : The campaign AI tends again to build giant battleships, or at least real powerful ones. My fleet of battlecruisers, each armed with eight 15 inch guns barely managed to escape with their slightly superior speed of 34 knots. They ran from 74000 ton battleship with 31.4 knots armed with 16 20 inch guns. Difficult is one thing, but I cannot remember being able to build such a powerful vessel within this tonnage limit.

I also observe enemy ships, that were already sunk, being able to detect incoming torpedoes, causing others to evade. So happened with two french cruisers in the last battle.

Edited by Darth Khyron

10 minutes ago, Darth Khyron said:

Another side note, or request, please : The campaign AI tends again to build giant battleships, or at least real powerful ones. My fleet of battlecruisers, each armed with eight 15 inch guns barely managed to escape with their slightly superior speed of 34 knots. They ran from 74000 ton battleship with 31.4 knots armed with 16 20 inch guns. Difficult is one thing, but I cannot remember being able to build such a powerful vessel within this tonnage limit.

Dockyard sizes were slightly randomized I think.  But if you're saying it sounds light, I'd agree.  They didn't dump torpedo protection or armor?

1 minute ago, slightlytreasonous said:

Dockyard sizes were slightly randomized I think.  But if you're saying it sounds light, I'd agree.  They didn't dump torpedo protection or armor?

Could not veryfiy, as I did not identified it completely. But battleships tend to have at least 11 inch belts and torpedo protection III. But the campaign is ongoing, perhaps I can corner one with superior forces long enough to identify one.

20 minutes ago, Drenzul said:

That sounds correct. Displacement and hull size are intrinsically linked due to the way buoyancy works.

So to have a hull that size, it HAS to weight 6307 tons. The fact you only put 4000 tones of equipment on it just means the other 2300 tons is all ballast to actually stop the ship riding so high out of the water that its completely unstable.

Your explanation makes sense. Thank you.

10 minutes ago, Darth Khyron said:

Could not veryfiy, as I did not identified it completely. But battleships tend to have at least 11 inch belts and torpedo protection III. But the campaign is ongoing, perhaps I can corner one with superior forces long enough to identify one.

Must have been basically unarmoured.....

I've seen occasional enemy builds like that. Zero armour, but max bulkheads. Once you get in secondary range they died horribly. I've seen the AI build a few ships like this and they had like 10" belt, 3" fore/aft

Never found them that hard to kill, just the danger of a few lucky 20" shells doing naughty things to you.

17 hours ago, Manifestorum said:

Well I'm 99% sure that shouldn't be the problem, but sure.

CPU: Intel I7 4930K

GPU: Nvidia 2070 (yes the drivers are updated, I even did a clean install for the last update)

RAM: 16 gb DDR3

Storage: a Samsung 1tb SSD, I think it's a 860 EVO, can't remember specifically

So, unless there is some Murphy's Law case of the combination of parts screwing with the game then I don't see the Hardware being the problem.

Just to reiterate, because I'm not sure if this was clear in my past post, I had no problems with previous versions of the Beta, I think the last time I played with stable loading of a new campaign was 2 weeks ago.

That's odd, I play with a i7-2600, and I don't have any issue. The longest campaign start up I've had is like 2 minutes. However, they still should revise the issue. Before 1.05, campaign start up was almost instantly. And there are a lot of people complaining about this issue.

On 3/27/2022 at 5:20 AM, Littorio said:

This will be more complex than many players realize

Maybe not so much.

It should be a series of questions based on power projection, port proximity and unfortunate events (i.e. timed events) where you answer them that leads to increased/deceased tensions, i.e. war or ally.

The same for AI vs AI wars but with answers based on the same respective power projection.

With probable player challenging added.

So maybe on the surface it looks complex but under the hood, as a list of timed questions, quite simple.

I think with the next released version, with map expansion and the core game fleshed out , it’s time to push the campaign to the next stage.    

Edited by Skeksis

2 hours ago, Skeksis said:

Maybe not so much.

It should be a series of questions based on power projection, port proximity and unfortunate events (i.e. timed events) where you answer them that leads to increased/deceased tensions, i.e. war or ally.

The same for AI vs AI wars but with answers based on the same respective power projection.

With probable player challenging added.

So maybe on the surface it looks complex but under the hood, as a list of timed questions, quite simple.

I think with the next released version, with map expansion and the core game fleshed out , it’s time to push the campaign to the next stage.    

While I agree that timed events could work as a way to generate tensions, I am not in agreement on pushing the envelope as far as actual diplomatic interaction yet (unless it is a quickie to free us from this imbalanced 3v2). I don't believe "the core game [is] fleshed out" yet at all. There is still a lot of work to be done in many areas that are intrinsic to the core of the game.

Spotting (which yes, I remember you disagree on mostly), background visuals, weather, transport refinements, shipyard building limits, a basic logistics system, adding coast defense vessels and/or monitors, there are many things that should take precedence before delving into yet another round of fixing these totally bizarre game issues stemming from diplomacy, alliances, and allied-involved battles.

Edited by Littorio
  • Like 1

Oddly enough, for some reason my game sometimes just gets stuck in the campaign when trying to process a turn.

I basically always start at 1900, as Germany, on normal difficulty, and with random personalities. The issue happens most often when I've knocked the UK out of the war and manifests as the game getting stuck on 'Updating Relationships'. I've also had it get stuck on 'Updating Ships' before, but that happened when the French decided it'd be a good idea to have like 50 heavy cruisers and not much else.

• Sad 1

It's taken a long time but I've finally encountered the legendary "flying torpedoes" glitch.

If it makes a difference, these were launched via underwater tubes from a German battleship hull (4 or 5?) in the 1920 scenario.

uad1.png

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Littorio said:

diplomatic interaction yet

With the next expansion diplomacy gets very hard to ignore, to which of that Dev's will probably be adding the US thus making it too many nations just to have ‘checkers’ sides.

I think this time around, this release is going to miss full length campaigns, I am. It’s going to be very important to keep the game’s momentum on track, campaign momentum that is (though it's easy and a pleasure to come back to this game at anytime).

Spotting (which yes, I remember you disagree on mostly), background visuals, weather, transport refinements, shipyard building limits, a basic logistics system, adding coast defense vessels and/or monitors, there are many things that should take precedence before delving into yet another round of fixing these totally bizarre game issues stemming from diplomacy, alliances, and allied-involved battles.

All this minor stuff can be reworked whenever. 

Except for auto-resolve battles (not listed), which will defiantly need featuring since battles will probably impact AI vs AI (if such things happen). But this is probably been work on now anyway since the lack of is having an effect in the current release (human vs AI). 

Edited by Skeksis

11 hours ago, The PC Collector said:

That's odd, I play with a i7-2600, and I don't have any issue. The longest campaign start up I've had is like 2 minutes. However, they still should revise the issue. Before 1.05, campaign start up was almost instantly. And there are a lot of people complaining about this issue.

Startup for me is about 4 minutes

Ryzen 5 3600X

32GB DDR4 3600

2TB Western Digital Black NVME SSD

RTX 3060 Ti

Windows 11 Pro

it loads the same speed as my work computer

Xeon X5660

24GB DDR3 1066 ECC

512GB Samsung 850 Evo

RX 560

Windows 10 Pro

So I'm not sure what the issue is

9 hours ago, Speglord said:

It's taken a long time but I've finally encountered the legendary "flying torpedoes" glitch.

If it makes a difference, these were launched via underwater tubes from a German battleship hull (4 or 5?) in the 1920 scenario.

uad1.png

The hovering guns/torpedoes happen when there is a bug/exception of the game, and instead of crashing, it sometimes produces this result. One way to cause this problem (I am not saying it is the only reason) is to manually back up and restore incompatible old saves, or edit saves, and then an updated version of the game tries to read them, but the ship designs have corrupted data for colliders and causes this effect.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Nick Thomadis said:

The hovering guns/torpedoes happen when there is a bug/exception of the game, and instead of crashing, it sometimes produces this result. One way to cause this problem (I am not saying it is the only reason) is to manually back up and restore incompatible old saves, or edit saves, and then an updated version of the game tries to read them, but the ship designs have corrupted data for colliders and causes this effect.

A bit offtopic, but if you able to catch that exception in game possibly make something funny out of it. Like in Age of Empires 1 change the flying torpedo model to a cow or something :P (iirc in AoE it was a cheat with a special catapult^^)

To stay on topic:

Mostly playing AH (i am austrian after all ^^) i had the issue with AI seemingly dropping out of war occur a few times with italy.

From what i could gather this happens after the turn calculation takes very long vs other rounds. and the result is the affection value in the savefile gets set to 0.0 or 100 instead of -100. a manual currection only circumvents that for a few turns, if at all.

If i would have to guess something crashes / fails during turn calculation and causes that value. Also usually this seemed to happen after 2 years into the game usually.

Once i get around making a useful save-backup script i should be able to provide a save with before and after that, possibly it becomes reproducible with that.

Edited by Cryadis

Refits finally somewhat works! but 2 things; you cannot build new ships from refitted designs, you can only upgrade.  if you copy refitted design and save as a new design build icon is also grayed out.

you want to design a new ship based on previous design, new technologies doesnt show on the copies of previous designs. 

also, I could refit my CAs 2ndary turrets from single to dual barrel but I cant refit DDs mkI launchers to mkII launchers. refit mod didnt/doesnt update 

On 3/28/2022 at 9:47 PM, Skeksis said:

With the next expansion diplomacy gets very hard to ignore, to which of that Dev's will probably be adding the US thus making it too many nations just to have ‘checkers’ sides.

I think this time around, this release is going to miss full length campaigns, I am. It’s going to be very important to keep the game’s momentum on track, campaign momentum that is (though it's easy and a pleasure to come back to this game at anytime).

All this minor stuff can be reworked whenever. 

Except for auto-resolve battles (not listed), which will defiantly need featuring since battles will probably impact AI vs AI (if such things happen). But this is probably been work on now anyway since the lack of is having an effect in the current release (human vs AI). 

Ehh, see we had plenty of updates just Britain vs. Germany for campaign. Suddenly we get one, a beta no less that still isn't officially released, and suddenly everyone gets a juicy taste of the big-map-end-game-full-world sweetness and wants to jump the gun. Let's hold here for a few moments and nail down the tent stakes before ripping them out and making everything wider again without a single polishing update in-between.

I don't understand this paradoxical need to expand-expand-expand very rapidly, and yet elsewhere you seem to espouse a more cautious: "Well the devs are working as hard as they can so it'll come when it comes. Patience." You can't have it both ways.

All the things you labeled "minor stuff" I would say are absolutely not. The fundamental part of this game is not the campaign. It is not strategic, or even operational - though those are important pieces in the final product eventually. The foundation of the game is tactical, and thus on the battle map, using the individual ships you designed in their builder. If things are insecure in the designer and on the battle maps, those things need to be addressed before we start worrying about big-picture campaign extension on a strategic level.

Edited by Littorio
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Nick Thomadis said:

Wondering if anyone has seen one of these new flying destroyers?

(this is from a prior update)

20220323214603_1.jpg

• Sad 1