Game-Labs Forum

"Not_Admiral_of_the_Fleet".

I know this is not modern naval warfare but I would think that it would be better to have a smaller ship lead the formation and cover your SOL or flagship in the center of the line. I too have been asked too lead when I bring a SOL to battle and I'm not afraid to ask someone else with more time commanding the line to take charge.

I know this is not modern naval warfare but I would think that it would be better to have a smaller ship lead the formation and cover your SOL or flagship in the center of the line. I too have been asked too lead when I bring a SOL to battle and I'm not afraid to ask someone else with more time commanding the line to take charge.

Anyone in the fleet can come up with a strategy and coral players. But the heaviest ship really does need to be at the head of the line (scouting/harassing frigates aside) making split-second tactical decisions. Otherwise your side will lose.

Only the head ship knows what kind of shot he has loaded, where the reload timers are, how many leaks are in the hold, how many repairs he has left. He gets fired on the most. And if he needs to switch tacks, or see the opposition getting ready steal the wind, he can't be waiting for any little admiral leading from behind.

For most times, small ship = new player however, which brings problems. Although some could be good leaders, a great many simply dont have the experience in the game to command at all which is why most look to the SoL for guidence.

The ship does not denote leadership nor ones ability to do so. I for instance enjoy leading and have led players in ships of the line when I have not even been in a rated ship!

You are an exception i suspect, most smaller ships are new players, larger ships generally have alot more experience of the game as a general rule of thumb (although right now with new ships this is thrown out of whack) i have found.

I was in the first group of testers so am used to it. I have played a leadership role in many games that I have played so I know that just because someone is in a big ship doesn't mean that they should lead. I usually am proactive about announcing lead and only when others do so would I be open to following or expecting them to lead. I suppose that is the point that I am trying to make, leaders are leaders regardless of the ship and I don't think that it is right to expect those in the largest ships to lead just because they are in the larger ships. There are Admirals in history who were in large ships (generally second in command) and they did not perform as expected. The Earl of Northesk is a prime example of this at Trafalgar; where he was criticised by many officers over his inability and unsatisfactory conduct.

(...), tell you the truth I really don't have a clue in what to do as a leader, I have no seamanship knowledge or positioning skills and I can't read the wind or play in manual

(...)

Luckly, there is hope for you. Most of us here don't have a clue about seamanship or naval tactics. Fortunately, @Mr. Doran took the time to write a quick start manual to naval tactics. After reading it, you should have a whole lot more clue on how you are going to battle that enemy line into submission.

Cheers,

Brigand

• Like 1

Always lead them into the most unexpected situations, into the thick of it all, double shot, cutlasses and triple pistols. .

And your name surely brings an aura of command :), take it as a compliment.

Edited by Hethwill_Khan
  • Like 1

I can see where the OP is coming from.  Sometimes you just want to play with a SOL and not have to lead.  I find myself fighting more with the frigates for that reason.  Leading a group of 10-20 people to victory is a hard task and some people are natural leaders and some are natural followers.  You need both and a team play mindset to win.

With that said, if you are in a SOL and you are the largest ship, the reality is that there is a certain responsibility.  The SOL can make or break a match.  Tactics will revolve around what the SOL is doing and even if you don't want to be leader, people will naturally follow the SOL.  The other thing is the team taking initiative with a plan and the only SOL in the team doesn't communicate and leaves the fleet charging the enemy.  People will understandably get a little peeved with these actions.  

The key is to communicate clearly from the start that you don't want to take lead and ask if teammates have some ideas how to proceed.  Usually someone else at this point will suggest a plan and people tend to follow.  Of course, if people are being trolls about it, it's best to ignore.  I would also suggest playing the frigates instead.  They are fun as hell and typically don't hold that leadership role.

Start typing this as soon as the game loads "Ok guys, everybody just tack in place repeatedly and fire cannons like a whirlwind"  They won't ask you again.

Or, to put your sanity on the line, you can actually give them a simple surefire plan, but now they won't follow it, no, they will sail in every direction under the sun and shoot at birds, starfish, through teammates masts and ram every green name within 20 nautical miles  :rolleyes:

• Like 3

Well many thanks for your kind hearted replys, I will take onboard your comments and the link to Mr Dorans post.

All the games I have ever played I have always played in defence, apart from golf.

After reading through your comments you have brighten up my spirits and I have lead the last 2games tonight without any neg comments in chat.

Thanks for the replys .

3RXfE8d.gif

Edited by Admiral_Of_The_Fleet
  • Like 6

Nobody really knows what they are doing at the beginning or even once they acquire the larger ships. It takes several battles to get a feel for things and understand what's going on in a large battle and even then the best laid plans can lead to disaster. As others have said tell someone else to lead or take control at the beginning of the battle but there's nothing to feel bad about.

My recommendation for the time being would be to limit yourself to ships like the Surprise, Trincomalee, or Constitution and play a support role. This will allow you to observe the battle and learn without the pressure from others to lead. You will also receive less pressure from the enemy since you're not the largest target. Once you do this for a while and feel comfortable then you can try your hand at the largest ships and leading a battle again.

^^ this

Well, I might be wrong here, but looking at the picture that ouer beloved Admiral have choosen for his forum profile it should be clear to all that even if he will lead with a big heart he might do so in mysterious and not allways efficient ways. If I am not mistaken that is a photo from the 80s movie Police Academy and more precidely Eric Lassard the chief of the police academy. I reserve my right to be severly mistaken here... but

For those who have seen that movie you have to admit that it gives a somewhat funny angel to this thread.

No offense Admiral. I have spoken to you on TS and you seem to be a very nice person and fellow player and I fully understand the problem. Not all want to lead.... but just if I am right about the profile Pic i have to say... hue hue hue hue....

Ok lets start from the off,

I only wanted to buy this game because of HMS Victory and sail in her on the high seas and have a bit of fun, so I decided to go the whole hog and complete the collection and get the Santisima.

No sooner I get the Santisima out to play, people on my team are asking me to lead the pack and give us directions, tell you the truth I really don't have a clue in what to do as a leader, I have no seamanship knowledge or positioning skills and I can't read the wind or play in manual

Constant badgering me on the chat and shouting at me in CAPS is not going to help me, I have had enough and really wan't to delete the game.

If this is going to turn out like this then I'll delete the game and not bother anymore.

Lol, you bother with it to much. Yesterday we had some pvp, where me on my constitution got around 12500 damage. It was second damage in end log from whole our team, despite we had 1 ST and 3 victory in party. What i mean is that 90% guys on sols have no idea what they should do :D. Relax and hf.

It does´t get better even IF you lead because you have to count on the rare chance that people follow you but do their own thing no matter what. So i.e. you are in a Santi and you ask the next smaller ships to stick to your stern in order to defend you you will realize that some just decide to sail ahead or simply get distance in order NOT to get involved in fighting.

I f you die pretty early in the match in your first rate and you adress a complaint to your team or certain captains you probably get the answer "you can´t play because you are dead and I am alive" from players that are far away throwing pebbles at random ;-)

So - whatever you do... it´s wrong. Mostly. This will change in the Open World (hopefully), not now. But sometimes you are in a battle and then it´s WOW

But... your name does raise some expectations  ;-) Maybe you grow into it.

p.s. PvE leveler who bring their SOLs to PvP without even having played a single PvP match before can´t expect lots of mercy... just generally speaking here -> power is nothing without control

Edited by Kpt Ahab

p.s. PvE leveler who bring their SOLs to PvP without even having played a single PvP match before can´t expect lots of mercy... just generally speaking here

This is something I noticed a couple of times recently. Bellona captains who can't seem to use manual sails and have to ask how to use team chat is just... mind-boggling.

Don't worry Admiral. I feel your pain - having a large/largest ship usually means you get asked to lead and I have been guilty of asking the SOLs to do so, but its not compulsory and I don't mind playing with SOLS who don't.

I got criticised for bad tactics a few times. I think the use of caps is often unintentional - I always seem to find they are on in comms as the caplock is next to the A key on my laptop and I press it unintentionally. Also discovered the use of the Tab key after telling the opposition my plan once - you live and learn!

A couple a times I've been the largest ship, say a Conti or Bel but up against a Vic or Santi - losing is likely and I tried to get upwind and close fast - it might work but usually it does not - we are outclassed and its about learning anyway.

Most people just enjoy the game whatever way it goes and salute with "good game/well done", either way. The more experienced you get sailing and playing, the better you get in any and every ship and I have recognised situations that are good and bad more frequently over time - clueless at the start. Some players are tactically very good and they tend to lead consistently and you learn. 

I have noticed significant improvement in my play over time; damage rising and occasionally making a real difference to the outcome, which does not always mean having the highest damage possible, taking it to save a SOL or putting in the damage you do when it most matters and not farming the DCs as they can't hurt. But its all really about the fun. The odds are you still sink - 70% plus do in almost any PvP game anyway, but I I have gone from mostly being on the losing side in PvP to about evens. The stormy ones are a bit of a leveller and I seem to win and survive more often in these battles - maybe I don' get sea sick - more likely luck but I do enjoy them!

If you didn't want to lead I suggest you should have been more wary at character Name creation. But whats done is done, I believe a much later patch is planned to allow renaming of your character.

TACTICS. Charge or Line,, full sails or battle. turn to port or starboard when close.  Initial Primary target. only 7 options to choose from. Only 2 needed from the outset. Make a decision early and go with it.

As an aside I believe it will be in the best interest of the game at release for 'Ranks whether Naval, Civil or Notoriety, shouldn't be permitted for characters names as these should be earned through game play.

The Honourable, Captain Crankey, Baron of Toadhall

Edited by Crankey

If you didn't want to lead I suggest you should have been more wary at character Name creation. But whats done is done, I believe a much later patch is planned to allow renaming of your character.

TACTICS. Charge or Line,, full sails or battle. turn to port or starboard when close.  Initial Primary target. only 7 options to choose from. Only 2 needed from the outset. Make a decision early and go with it.

As an aside I believe it will be in the best interest of the game at release for 'Ranks whether Naval, Civil or Notoriety, shouldn't be permitted for characters names as these should be earned through game play.

The Honourable, Captain Crankey, Baron of Toadhall

I really don't think that my user name has anything to do with the way I play or how I should lead the game, I came here to play not to lead, next you will be telling me to change my ingame name in warthunder,  WARTHUNDER_IS_ME 

I think firstly the foul language and sexual names on here shoud be a matter of priority to be dealt with first.

Edited by Admiral_Of_The_Fleet
  • Like 1