Game-Labs Forum

>>>Core Patch 1.0 Feedback<<<

Nick Thomadis

5 hours ago, TAKTCOM said:

Well here we go again

HCT0Kze.jpg

7cyzeJ9.jpg

Again, the auto designer has more money than the player, this time "only" twice.

The British are kind of OK with their 60 million for the player versus 80 for the auto-designer. It's just a little wierd.

hnJMHYy.jpg

IIJgxIi.jpg

Agreed, you still cannot manually design a fleet roughly on par with the enemy it seems. Auto-create is a must to have comparable numbers.

• Like 1

Not sure if this was already discussed, but does peace treaty work at all in current version? 

Playing 1900 campaign - germany several times asked for peace treaty - but despite I press "agree", next turn I still get the message that "war continues"...

P.S. Also who needs Dreadnought when you can turn Lord Nelson into a discount Nassau?😁photo_2021-12-04_19-46-19.thumb.jpg.7d63c0e75d32074c69d51db1315e53fd.jpg

Edited by WiselessOwl

3 hours ago, DieHard_BR said:

All,

What is the ship/template i should have to avoid transport losses, not on the missions but on month turns.

Going bankrup because of transport losses

Same here. It's very frustrating try to play the game when allways get fired because bankrupt. And always because the TR losses, an aspect of the game that the player has no control over. IMHO the economic impact of TR Losses is HUGE, please, lower.

7 hours ago, Nick Thomadis said:

We will check to fix those, thanks.

Regarding ships returning to ports, they should go to nearest, most suitable ports for them, not the initial. It would be a problem if the port they want to return is too far away or the port capacity is almost full and they still desire to enter it. 

Willy-nilly ship movement (confirmation).

'BB Emperor of India' in Hull...

oun3BIz.png

Emperor in North Sea battle...

Drbrwvg.png

Emperor couldn't find slippery enemy fleet (no damage)...

DB0WzTI.png

Emperor now wanted some R&R in Plymouth... 

eK3hIR7.png

I really want to relive that captain of his command!

Edited by Skeksis
  • Like 1

I will say this - despite the battle setup issues in general, TR problems, etc, the generator still created a very interesting storyline for me. It was 1892 and the SMS Wurttemberg (my BB) happened to meet HMS Resolution (their BB) on patrol, both alone. It was an intriguing battleship duel because of how the AI auto-designed both our fleets. The Wurttemberg had heavy main guns, dual 12in rifles both fore and aft, but a much lighter secondary/tertiary armament. A pair of 6in guns, a pair of 5in as well, and then I believe eight 3in guns, and four small 2" turrets on the middle upper sides.

In contrast, HMS Resolution had only dual 10in rifles in the fore and aft, but a much heavier secondary armament. Their battery was almost all 5" guns, and they had a lot of them, probably 12-14 if memory serves me correctly, rounded off by four or so 3inchers. It was interesting because historically Germany had the smaller main guns usually, with more secondaries.

In this encounter, I tried to keep at longer range, because my main guns were larger, giving me an advantage against his smaller 10inchers. Neither of us had torpedoes, but if I closed in for whatever reason, his superior 5in secondaries would be able to outshoot my two 6inchers and two 5inchers. I began to notice an issue however...at the max range we could sight each other given the current sea state and weather, my larger guns were not really advantageous.

You see, he could penetrate me, and I could penetrate him. Any further out, and I couldn't see him, negating the advantage of my longer range guns. I would have been better off with a smaller main battery but thicker armor, so that he couldn't pen me, but I could still get him. Plus he had a higher rate of fire. Both our crews were Veterans so there was no discrepancy there. This was purely a battle of design and distance. We were fighting anywhere from 3-6 kms distant, so hit/accuracy rates were 0-2%.

The encounter went more his way. A very lucky, long range, 5" hit, knocked out my main fire control early on, and despite me landing the first main battery hit regardless, a nice 12" blast that did good damage and partially flooded him, gradually the factors above began to tell. His superior weight and rate of fire compensated for the lower caliber of his 10" guns, that were nonetheless still powerful enough to pierce my armor. After a 10in shell demolished my conning tower and knocked out command, I decided to retire. Thankfully the faster Resolution let me go and didn't pursue. I thought that was that...

But no, lo and behold after one month of repairs each, who does the SMS Wurttemberg spot once again on patrol? That damned HMS Resolution. Now I like to think the crew had a vendetta against their opposite number after last month's engagement, and it showed. Almost immediately upon sighting them (much clearer skies and gentler seas), we landed a main battery hit at 7KM. For 1890s basic tech that is ASTOUNDING. We destroyed his rear tower, but the ensuing fire was not put out easily. Somehow it spread, and raged and raged, his rear turret was damaged, and the whole aft of the ship from top to bottom back from the rear tower was on fire, all from one 12" hit.

By the time the fires were out he was at 69% integrity, a large blow from a single penetration. We kept at it, shells flying, and I made several other good hits, causing more fires and flooding. Still he was not close to sinking, and a couple of his 10" shells had hit home too, though nothing major was damaged on my end. Ultimately, given that he was clearly fleeing, steaming away as fast as he could, I let HMS Resolution escape. After all, they let me go in our first duel when they clearly had the advantage given the shorter range, and the damage to my conning tower and fire control. It felt...gentlemanly. If I was going to sink the Resolution, let it be another day, perhaps in a full fleet engagement. For now, we had drawn even and the honor of SMS Wurttemberg had been restored. 1-1, their move.

Edited by Littorio
  • Like 6

6 hours ago, WiselessOwl said:

Not sure if this was already discussed, but does peace treaty work at all in current version? 

Playing 1900 campaign - germany several times asked for peace treaty - but despite I press "agree", next turn I still get the message that "war continues"...

P.S. Also who needs Dreadnought when you can turn Lord Nelson into a discount Nassau?😁photo_2021-12-04_19-46-19.thumb.jpg.7d63c0e75d32074c69d51db1315e53fd.jpg

when the pop up comes, you don't decide peace but your government ask you of your opinion as head of the navy.

Just did a 1930 British campaign. Decided to just make battleships. Tech allowed for 9 G3/N3 battleships of 53K tons. Made them with 4 twin 16 in turrets with some 6 inch secondaries and 2 twin 22 in torpedo launchers. First fight was a convoy defense4 BBs against a few heavy and light crusiers and some destroyers. Never saw them. Second fight was a German strike. Delayed it 1 month. Second month I ended up with 6 of my BBs against 2 BBs, 3 BCs, 3 CA, 4 CL and 2 DD. 2 of the CL were right on top of me, so 2 BBs ate alot of torpedos, but the survived and killed the cruisers. The other 4 BBs targeted the BCs, killed them, then their BBs. By the end of the fight 1 CA, 1 CL and a DD escaped. 6 damaged BBs for me. A 45K victory point battle. Germany went into revolution and that was the end of the campaign.

8 hours ago, WiselessOwl said:

I believe this is representing the fact that peace negotiations may stall and fall apart and that a war may continue. This has happened to me a few times in the campaign. 

8 hours ago, WiselessOwl said:

So it's not just me, then? Never done it with 11" guns, though. Only 10".

I still kinda feel like this is a potential balance issue? Definitely kinda fun, though.

Tested in Custom battles just now, and it seems it can, in fact, best dreadnoughts. German enemy from 1906 vs me at 1904. Not a huge difference, but he should have had more of an adventage.

I cannot seem to win the campaign no matter what I do, Which ever nation I choose same outcome. 

I can have a 9-10k Lead in VP, Massive advantage and blockade for years. Doesn't matter always a stalemate.  10th attempt and another staleamate.  What am I doing wrong here?  I am stuck with only 1890 to play and its starting to really get to me. 

Anyone else having a similar issue? Anyone have any suggestions?

Snip.png

I've had far too many situations like this so far in the campaign. Just smaller ships with the bulkhead mechanic just taking an absolute battering and not dying. This DD even had a couple of flash fires... And it actually didn't even sink, I kept running from the other DDs. 

Also yesterday I had another situation with 2 CA vs 1 CL and I was doing circles around him within a kilometer completely battering him with 9 inch fires and all calibers below. He had max bulkheads and just wasn't sinking. 

Not too sure how you want to solve this but it seems pretty problematic to me. Maybe increase crew losses on small unarmored ships to large caliber gunfire to reduce their ability to control flooding? Seems pretty wild those 12 inch shots are killing such few crew members. Also maybe you should lose crew to flooding. 

somany.png

Edited by Staire
  • Like 2

Update on the 1890s SMS Wurttemberg/HMS Resolution feud -

So I hadn't seen her around for a long time, but I finally did off Ireland, and had a chance to have a proper 2v2 battleship engagement with supporting units. Unfortunately Wurttemberg was not available in the correct time and place. Instead, the duty of engaging these vessels fell to her sisters: SMS Oldenberg and SMS Preussen. They took to the line against the well-respected Resolution, and her sister ship HMS Audacious, a BB I had never seen in action before. Supporting units were the CA SMS Deutschland, and a single TB for me, while they had the CL HMS Canada. All things considered I had the larger and heavier force, but given my past run ins with Resolution, I took nothing for granted.

We found each other pretty quickly, and main battery fire began at about 7.5km or so. Unfortunately for me, the Deutschland and my TB were screening way off to port, on the exact opposite side from the enemy. This delayed their participation in the battle considerably, but as it turned out, such a place was perhaps to be fortuitous.

Unlike the single ship duels with Wurttemberg and Audacious, this time it was latter who landed the first blow. After several rounds of misses each, a 10in shell hit my flagship Oldenburg early on to start the fight in earnest. It was a terrific exchange, but for the longest time I could not land a single main battery hit. Miss, miss, miss, and miss again. Meanwhile the rate of fire of their 10in rifles to my 12s seemed to be helping their cause. Oldenburg took another couple hits, one setting her afire, and Preussen was struck by a 10in shell as well. At one point the flagship had flooding so I slowed her speed to better facilitate pumping operations. I began to get worried at the tactical picture...but we have forgotten about the lighter units.

My little TB had hurried over to the action with all possible haste from her 22kn engines. Boldly she swung in front of the thundering battleships as gigantic shells flew back and forth each way over her head, big enough to blow her to pieces. But no one paid any mind, but for the enemy battleships' own guard: HMS Canada. As the only screen for the Royal Navy in this fight, her duty was clear: protect the battle line. Closing the distance, she seemed to charge, seeking to ward off the incoming TB well beyond her vulnerable protectees: Resolution and Audacious.

Try as she might, again and again she missed my TB. Evermore, bit by bit, my boat closed to that crucial torpedo range. Some of the secondaries on Oldenberg and Preussen opened up at this new threat as well, striking a crucial blow to Canada's rear and damaging her rudder. As the the wounded cruiser swung to starboard with her damage, a perfect opportunity presented itself for my oncoming TB. Going hard to port herself, at full speed, she launched her two and only torpedoes. The clock ticked dangerously down as the Canada frantically tried to swing out the way, but alas for her, that rudder damage was her undoing. She had strayed too close. She had failed her duty to protect the line. God Save the King.

With two tremendous, sequential explosions, the little TB's torpedoes struck home. Canada shuddered and rolled over, quickly sinking as she blew up. The TB, happy with this success and with no reloads for it's tubes, steamed off to position itself closer to the enemy battleships so as to keep contact with them in the event of them moving out of range. Meanwhile, Resolution and Audacious didn't seem to take the loss of their only screen too badly, concentrating fire on Oldenberg. With a bang she took yet another 10in hit and began to flood as her rudder swung erratically to port, falling out of formation and yielding her position to the less-damaged Preussen. Stopping for repairs, Oldenberg continued to fire on the enemy as Preussen passed her to take over lead place. It was at this moment that a new player emerged: the Deutschland.

Forgotten about by virtually everyone else given her initial distance from the action, Deutschland had steadily been making her way past my battleships astern, and seeking to creep up on the enemy line from their rear. With twin blasts, she unleashed her dual 8in turrets at the Resolution and Audacious. While she didn't strike them, she was fairly close and getting nearer, and all her many secondaries began to fire as well.

Seeing my battleline in clear disarray, the opposing BBs swung their line north and targeted Deutschland instead. Who was this impudent little CA to challenge not one, but two of the Royal Navy's finest? Better to get rid of it quickly and send it to the bottom of the Irish Sea. As they opened up their main batteries at Deutschland, she valiantly stayed the course, dodging massive deluges caused by 10in near misses. Like the TB, she had a plan, and a role to fulfill: distraction.

While Resolution and Audacious were trying to swat down the mad cruiser, Preussen and Oldenberg finally had enough breathing room to repair, bring the boilers back up to cruising speed, and reform the line. Deutschland was fulfilling her purpose. For her trouble she took a large 10in shell right in the bow and began flooding, blunting her valiant charge. Losing speed to better work the pumps and limit catastrophic damage, she slacked off from her approach. But her wounds were not in vain, as at very long last, Preussen and Oldenberg began to find their mark.

While the superior rate of fire of the British 10in guns could not be denied, there was something to say about the damage caused by the German 12inchers. A massive blast shook Audacious as a 12in shell from Oldenberg went through her aft belt and set the whole stern alight. Just like her sister Resolution in that earlier, second duel with Wurttemberg, something seemed off with the design of the rear of the British battleships, or else their damage control. The fire raged well longer than it should have for a single blow, and did hefty damage to Audacious' structure. Neither was Resolution spared, as she took a couple of 12in shells from Preussen, fortunately for her escaping major harm. As the now finally-wounded British BBs turned off north into the fog, only Deutschland and the shadowing TB kept contact. Throttling up to flank speed, my battleline swung in pursuit, eager to get more hits and push this engagement.

Both lines reversing course from their starting positions, the battle entered into its second and final phase. The British line swung back into visibility for my own, and they began to pound each other in earnest once more. But this time, the foe had changed up their strategy from the get-go. Rather than each ship pair off and fire at it's opposite in the line for a period of time, the Resolution and Audacious concentrated their fire from the very start, both targeting the new leader and less damaged of my two BBs, Preussen. Steadily the range closed, and steadily did their weight of fire begin to cause problems again. First once and then again, Preussen was rocked by deep, penetrating 10in hits below the waterline from both RN battleships. Intense flooding ensued, down to 50%, as she went dead in the water.

But her bite had not diminished in capacity with her speed. With an angry roar, her 12in guns struck back, first at Resolution who now had some flooding of her own to deal with, and then at Audacious. Oldenberg too added to Audacious' sudden and rapid troubles, as both fire and flooding intensified from 12in hits. Moving through the fray, the brave Deutschland swung between the lines of fire, somewhat battered, her lowest bow compartment permanently flooded and sealed off, taking a few more hits from enemy secondaries as she did. Turning to port, she positioned herself behind Oldenberg and at long last joined the line proper. At this time, we adopted the British approach and concentrated fire, but not on the strongest opponent as they had, but on the weakest.

See, unlike her sister, Resolution, Audacious did not have a veteran crew. Long-relegated to in-being, she had mostly sat out the three year long war waiting for stray German ships to pass too close. Unfortunately for her, that did not happen, and her crew's inexperience here was her undoing. While Resolution was able to make good her damage, Audacious was not. Bow on at a 45degree angle to my battleline, she was dead in the water with no rudder control, fire not visible on her surface, but with thick black smoke pouring out of the gunports from her innards. Something was broken in Audacious. With her engines given out, and fire control masts shot up, there wasn't much tactically she could do, meaning that the Resolution had a difficult choice to make.

Should she stay with her younger sister and try to shield her from the enemy, helping her long enough for the damage control teams to get the badly wounded ship moving again? Hopefully they could achieve that, and thus both escape and survive. Or...should she cut her losses and steam away, the sole survivor of this engagement, living to fight another day. Once again, I like to think it was SMS Deutschland that made the difference here. Finally seeing a golden opportunity to use her few torpedoes, Deutschland dashed off from my line as fast her battle damage would allow at 13kn. The battered Preussen had managed to pump out some water and could make 6-7 knots as she began limping forward once more, still firing on the crippled Audacious. Oldenberg didn't let up either, and more shells: 12, 6, 5, 4, and 3in all found their mark in the foe. But still Audacious refused to give up.

Unfortunately for her, it seemed like her sister had come to a...dare I say, resolution? Off she steamed at the maximum power available to her, forsaking the cripple and choosing to fight some other day in some other place. Preussen and Oldenberg didn't care. With barely any main battery shells left at this point, they were content to sit and pound the hulk in front of them. By now, Deutschland was almost in range. But suddenly, a blast! Still, Audacious was not dead yet, lobbing a pair of 10in shells clean through the oncoming cruiser as she turned to get into position for her below-water torpedo tubes. With yet more flooding, Deutschland slowed to pump again, but this latest of troubles did not stop her, and could not save Audacious. It was inevitable.

With a mournful whoosh the torpedo left the cruiser's starboard tube and the clock ticked ominously as it raced toward the derelict Audacious. Still she shot, firing every gun available at all surrounding targets. But to no avail...the torpedo struck true, overwhelming her cadet crewman who just hadn't been ready for an engagement of this magnitude. With a final, deep groan, HMS Audacious lost her battle with the sea and began to slip beneath the hungry waves, a victim off everything short of a full magazine detonation. She had fought bravely. Deutschland, wounded, stood guard as she went under, likely saluting the foe's valiant effort. Preussen, battered but alive, with no main battery ammo left, and making only a few knots, fell in behind the less smashed up Oldenberg. They got one last signal from the distant TB, far away but not forgotten, who had been shadowing Audacious.

Once again, for the third time, she had survived my worst and struck great blows of her own. One of these days, the Kaiserliche Marine would get HMS Audacious, but it was not to be today. For today we made a lasting mark, sinking one of the enemy battleships, not to mention the poor CL, HMS Canada, in a very sharp, stand up fight - the first true battleline engagement of the whole three year war. It was a great victory, and we had had no losses ourselves. Time to repair and wait again until Resolution shows her face once more. Next time, we will be ready.

• Like 2

About the new update:

- The new icons size is great.

- Vsync doesn't seem to be working. Nvidia panel settings solved the issue.

The problem seems to be battle intial starting positions. This is my 1st campaign battle.

AJIpWZI.jpg

So i closed the game and start a battle a few more times.

wNtXGIl.jpg

4.5km away from the nearest target, an enemy DD. To close to start the battle imo.

K46XTFS.jpg

Other try and now 5km away from transports.

UE5mHqd.jpg

And one last try.

Is nice to see the battle starting at closer ranges with the enemy already at sight, but the starting positions distances still need some tweaking.

Is it just me, or does auto-design especially suck on Battleships? 
I mean, we are all used to the clown cars by this time already - but I feel that in case of battleship design the stupidity is pronounced. I often encountered AI-designed ships from TB to CA which were actually pretty decent - sometimes even quite formidable - opponents. However, with BB and BC auto-design goes completely nuts, almost always chooses underperforming main battery (particularly loving 9" which is almost useless even on pre-dreadnought, and after dreadnoughts appear it becomes complete joke), takes few bulkheads (when its own DDs are having these maxed out), slaps so many different gun types and calibres that it makes french 1880-90s armored hotels look reasonable and so on and so far...
Really, in campaign I can sometimes fail a battle against cruiser/destroyer task force when our chances are more or less even and I am not careful enough. But when I encounter their battleships - even if their fleet is bigger - they are always free food. And to lose or even take a significant damage my ships probably need to either ram or torpedo themselves 

Edited by WiselessOwl
  • Like 1

On 12/4/2021 at 9:06 AM, shakuvendell said:

This is on top of the fact that, despite explicitely stating that the Yamato hull was introduced to allow more accurate replicas, it still cannot mount it's historical 127mm guns on it's superstructure. Only the superbattleship can do so.

Can you become more specific? In which place these guns cannot be mounted, as per your own findings?

15 hours ago, Samhil00 said:

Anyone have any suggestions?

Snip.png

Blockade should have worked, so maybe it’s your home situation (rebellion).

All those ships maybe too much of a burden for your nation to handle, just match enemy numbers plus just alittle more, not hundreds.

You’ve lost alot of transports too, that weakens the economy, always try to save as many transports as possible, don’t leave them to be slaughtered. Keep replacements in the positive. If message says ‘lost transports in area X’, move more combat ships into that area.  

And complete mission objectives. Keep those prestige points in the positive.

Edited by Skeksis
  • Thanks 1

On 12/1/2021 at 3:17 PM, Iuvenalis said:

Funny thing about this is that the shell trajectory seems to actually determine the hit, but it seems the dice roll determines if it is a good trajectory or not. You can use this to your advantage by targeting a ship that is close to but behind another. The shots will slam into the untargeted ship and hit far more times than you would have hit your target if the 2nd ship wasn't there! I've found it particularly useful when convoy raiding and the transports end up in a jumbled mess.

Yeah, that's quite hilarious to see happen.

So this happened in my current 1930 campaign... 

1214128211_chase2.thumb.jpg.ced23e1a653668a5797f60134c9323ef.jpg

As you can see its my battle cruiser vrs a Battle ship that out weighs me and out guns me. mission spawned us in range of each other and he decided he wanted to turn and run, after exchanging one salvo, this not only prolongs the fight but i end up taking more damage because i need to close and come along side, as the game s bounce mechanics are.... well very un realistic. I was 1.1 km away, and Prince of Wales was bunching them, like.... that i don't see that happening in reality, so i had to get abeam of him and because he likes to turn away i was point blank, less then 100m of him when i crossed his ship, I got an ammo detonation, that didn't sink him. but three more salvos exchanged and he went down... Now i could understand it trying to disengage if it was badly pounded before hand, but it wasn't.

this keeps happening every time, and i don't understand. I get it if there is a disparity in fire power, but he had me outclassed here and i won because he ran.

chase.thumb.jpg.1e6bbbc0dbc33eeb62ae386b8a8c316d.jpg

• Sad 1

34 minutes ago, Danelin Aruna said:

So this happened in my current 1930 campaign... 

1214128211_chase2.thumb.jpg.ced23e1a653668a5797f60134c9323ef.jpg

As you can see its my battle cruiser vrs a Battle ship that out weighs me and out guns me. mission spawned us in range of each other and he decided he wanted to turn and run, after exchanging one salvo, this not only prolongs the fight but i end up taking more damage because i need to close and come along side, as the game s bounce mechanics are.... well very un realistic. I was 1.1 km away, and Prince of Wales was bunching them, like.... that i don't see that happening in reality, so i had to get abeam of him and because he likes to turn away i was point blank, less then 100m of him when i crossed his ship, I got an ammo detonation, that didn't sink him. but three more salvos exchanged and he went down... Now i could understand it trying to disengage if it was badly pounded before hand, but it wasn't.

this keeps happening every time, and i don't understand. I get it if there is a disparity in fire power, but he had me outclassed here and i won because he ran.

chase.thumb.jpg.1e6bbbc0dbc33eeb62ae386b8a8c316d.jpg

AI behavior on when to flee or fight needs a lot of balancing...

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Littorio said:

AI behavior on when to flee or fight needs a lot of balancing...

Would be nice to see some tactics when withdrawing instead of just constantly turning to face away from nearest unit, but without real smoke the possibilities are limited.

• Like 2

I think battles should always start with both fleets within visual range of each other.. otherwise what's the point? faster ships will just sail away and battle ends up being frustrating 5minutes for the player... If AI is faster and overall tonnage is much weaker, it should not even get into battle to begin with.. so technically, its more about how these battles are set up in first place, then making them actually battles.. 

• Like 3