Game-Labs Forum

>>>Core Patch 1.0 Feedback<<<

Nick Thomadis

14 minutes ago, JaM said:

I think battles should always start with both fleets within visual range of each other.. otherwise what's the point? faster ships will just sail away and battle ends up being frustrating 5minutes for the player... If AI is faster and overall tonnage is much weaker, it should not even get into battle to begin with.. so technically, its more about how these battles are set up in first place, then making them actually battles.. 

Yes very good idea, compute the first spot distance of either fleet, and then set ship positions cascading out from that.

The trouble is reorganizing fleets into your desired combat formation, so sometimes alittle distance could be added to allow for that. But default is spotted distance.

Edited by Skeksis
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, o Barão said:

UE5mHqd.jpg

And one last try.

This one at night time, ships/fleet do run into each other at night, 2 centre images are in cloudy weather, first image could be night time too, unknown. Just saying it could be working as intended, possibly?

Edited by Skeksis

Hi, I completed the German 1930 campaign and it was a thrilling experience with all those torpedoes in the water. Would never make it without the Modern CL.

The AI budgeting need improvement as they wasted their fund too fast; resulting in revolution.

I am not sure I understand the blockade, but it is too easy to over tonnage the AI with cheaper design.

By ignoring Research and Dock upgrade, I have enough funding to outlast the AI.

Leaving Battle always yield a different result, even if you destroyed 5 ships and just chasing down a wounded ship.

How do I get Ireland? I drag out the war and kept the VP as high as possible but never able take Ireland. 

I have not encounter a BB in large battle encounter; only seen them in 1v1 or convoy raid.

Would really like to know what the mission victory really meant. Does destroying those TR really cause the AI financial issue, or are they just mission objective? Or Bombarding the port, what is the benefit?

Please stop disabling the x10, x30 speed, wasting too much time chasing down CA and BC; they have a tendency to retreat behind the TB, DD, and CL so it take time to burn down the small ships before I can safely chase them down. Plus, this will help ending the battle faster when the enemy ships are retreating.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, akd said:

Would be nice to see some tactics when withdrawing instead of just constantly turning to face away from nearest unit, but without real smoke the possibilities are limited.

1 hour ago, JaM said:

I think battles should always start with both fleets within visual range of each other.. otherwise what's the point? faster ships will just sail away and battle ends up being frustrating 5minutes for the player... If AI is faster and overall tonnage is much weaker, it should not even get into battle to begin with.. so technically, its more about how these battles are set up in first place, then making them actually battles.. 

Precisely to all of the above. It's getting late in my war and the Brits are running out of ships, so of the last 20 or so battles I've chosen (or been forced by the campaign) to fight, I only made visual contact in about 2-3. The vast majority of the time the AI just immediately does an about face using it's magic 50km 1895 super-radar and vanishes while I putt around chasing "smoke" on 10x speed for 5 a minutes a pop. Multiply that by 17 or 18 and we're at almost 2 hours of IRL time just steaming around an empty map "battle after battle."

I get that the AI needs to be cautious, especially when it is losing the war and has few ships left, but as it's been said, they shouldn't even have an option to "fight" the battle then. Just flee on the CAMPAIGN layer. This current system has no net benefit for anyone. It isn't a case of "realism vs. fun gameplay." It's not realistic AND it's not fun. No one wins in any fashion and it really drags down what would be an otherwise enjoyable campaign.

Some examples: first my above photo finding my nemesis HMS Resolution. No contact made with anything...Then another off Cork! No contact made with anyone. Finally, it seems we all followed them into the Bay of Biscay...and you guessed it no contact, pure 10x all the way as they retreat.

This is WITHOUT even getting into the deeper logic behind the mission generator such as WHY HMS Resolution, one of their precious battleships, was operating alone in a losing, late-war scenario behind the Danish Straits all the way over by Gotland (how on Earth did she even get there without being detected at the start of the Baltic!?). Or why the hell they sortied into the Bay of Biscay of all places. Or for the matter, how my same four cruisers seemingly chased this ship from Gotland to Bordeaux and back, bases be damned.

Resolution.jpg

revenge.jpg

thirdtime.png

Edited by Littorio
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Skeksis said:

This one at night time, ships/fleet do run into each other at night, 2 centre images are in cloudy weather, first image could be night time too, unknown. Just saying it could be working as intended, possibly?

Ah yes, good point. That could influence the starting distances. But still needs some tweaking,

If we take into consideration the possibility in being a night battle and i failed to notice. Let's say is night and the fleets spotted each other at very close ranges. But in the images where my fleets spawn very close to the enemy merchants we can notice that my ships are also spotting merchants ships that are far away in the formation. That show us that the minimum range to spot them is higher than the spawn distance value. So makes sense, is a possibility but the values needs a little tweaking.

u91mpxa.jpg

VbQd8Bb.jpg

Unlocked a 2200tons DDs hull but i am unable to design new ships with the new tonnage limit.  Minor bug @Nick Thomadis

Increasing fore deck / belt armor values is decreasing fore weight offset % (but bizarrely it will also decrease an aft weight offset %).  The opposite is also true, i.e. increasing aft deck / belt armor is decreasing aft weight offset %.  Finally, if you have the ship set up with no offset % fore or aft, you can increase fore/aft belt/deck armor to any value without affecting weight offset.  Something is either broken or communicated very counter-intuitively.

Edited by akd
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, akd said:

Increasing fore deck / belt armor values is decreasing fore weight offset % (but bizarrely it will also decrease an aft weight offset %).  The opposite is also true, i.e. increasing aft deck / belt armor is decreasing aft weight offset %.  Finally, if you have the ship set up with no offset % fore or aft, you can increase fore/aft belt/deck armor to any value without affecting weight offset.  Something is either broken or communicated very counter-intuitively.

I was wondering about all those offsets...

So I'm not sure how the unrest mechanic works, but it seems to tick up awfully fast. I forgot to screen cap my results, but a war in 1930 lasted for maybe a year and a half. The British Empire has 900K tons of shipping to my 270K i whittled the number down, i sank around 250K tons of enemy shipping, with out loosing a single ship, they still had me under blockade but i was doing alright. My unrest hovered around 14 but i had new ships coming in a couple of months.

well I guess I sank a little to much the peace deal thing came up and i said to fight to the end, but the campaign ended. I can see loosing ships impact national morale, but i think RTW did this a little better, it was hard to get them to sue for peace in that game, i would have to send almost there entire fleet to the bottom before they would go along with it.

Don't get me wrong i love playing this game its fun and trying out ship ideas is entertaining. Im enjoying it but when you your the under dog i want to be able to break the British blockade and come back from behind. not have the war end prematurely.

ya the turning radius are something that need to be looked at, computer avoids torpedoes like ballet dancers. And my ships can only avoid them about 40% of the time. and its really bad with the unsinkable AI destroyers. ive seen them being shelled by 3 or 4 cruisers, they have 99% flooding and wont go down. then they shoot torpedo's and hit my ships... then they finally die.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, T_the_ferret said:

I don't think that should apply to a 10k ton cruiser, and even then i doubt it'd be "on the spot" like this

Well it would be impossible, should have a turning radius minimum of about 570 metres. Quite funny to see the AI do on the spot spins with a turning radius of like 5 metres lol.

Thats a bug that needs sorting out, also causes issues with some issues when the AI can just spin and give you the finger, when you need to hit another portion of it to take out the vessel.

• Like 4

A little experience to confirm my hypothesis about a mismatch between lateral and longitudinal somewhere in the calculation of the weight offset. My intuition tells me the turret near the edge of the hull should have more impact than the other one, but its impact is only 2.5% versus 3.6% for the other turret, as shown on my screenshots extracts. 

Test done with german heavy cruiser hull II, 3x127mm turrets, 1940 custom battle, v0.96. 

Lateral vs Longitudinal.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

3 hours ago, Nick Thomadis said:

Admirals,

A minor update has been uploaded. You can restart your game client to receive it.

Hotfix Update v97 (6/12/2021)
- Various optimizations and small issue fixes.

Thank you Nick. Do you keep a detailed changelog somewhere for those of us who are weird and like to read every little thing 😅 ?

• Like 4

16 hours ago, Danelin Aruna said:

ya the turning radius are something that need to be looked at, computer avoids torpedoes like ballet dancers. And my ships can only avoid them about 40% of the time. and its really bad with the unsinkable AI destroyers. ive seen them being shelled by 3 or 4 cruisers, they have 99% flooding and wont go down. then they shoot torpedo's and hit my ships... then they finally die.

I had an AI DD, take 7.1K dmg before sinking, and no ammodet,flash or torps ending it,boosting that number. Miracles do happen, but just to the AI? 😉

Out of curiosity, are the delay and withdraw options for the fleet currently disabled?  I have yet to actually have one of either option succeed, even when my ships are considerably faster than the enemy.  Has anyone else managed to get either of these options to work?

On 12/5/2021 at 6:49 PM, Staire said:

I've had far too many situations like this so far in the campaign. Just smaller ships with the bulkhead mechanic just taking an absolute battering and not dying. This DD even had a couple of flash fires... And it actually didn't even sink, I kept running from the other DDs. 

Also yesterday I had another situation with 2 CA vs 1 CL and I was doing circles around him within a kilometer completely battering him with 9 inch fires and all calibers below. He had max bulkheads and just wasn't sinking. 

Not too sure how you want to solve this but it seems pretty problematic to me. Maybe increase crew losses on small unarmored ships to large caliber gunfire to reduce their ability to control flooding? Seems pretty wild those 12 inch shots are killing such few crew members. Also maybe you should lose crew to flooding. 

somany.png

I'm finding the same thing, it looks like a saturation problem. Maybe damage not allowed to past when adjacent cells already saturated. Ships can adsorb an absurd amount of damage if hits keep hitting saturated cells (something like that). Mostly lighter units, CLs, DDs. Can be frustrating. 

Edited by Skeksis
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, Kane said:

Out of curiosity, are the delay and withdraw options for the fleet currently disabled?  I have yet to actually have one of either option succeed, even when my ships are considerably faster than the enemy.  Has anyone else managed to get either of these options to work?

I have seen the "withdraw" button active twice, I think, and used it (successful) once.