Game-Labs Forum

>>>Core Patch 0.5 Feedback Hotfix v90<<<

Nick Thomadis

14 hours ago, Skeksis said:

Look at it this way, your whole fleet is in formation, a contact is made, but you have to manoeuvre each individual ship into their visible contact distance. Doesn’t seem like real actions to me, but if contact made, then the fleet begins turning its big guns, that's more real. 

Well that's how it was. Look at surigao straight. several american ships never opened fire during the entire firefight, in spite of having radar, because they hadn't yet acquired a target.

Then look at jutland. many estimates have less than a dozen of the british line ever actually opening fire on the german high seas fleet, again due to lack of visibility.

You need to distinguish between moving your guns and actually firing. Moving your guns to the relevant side of action happens as soon as you know which side of your own ship you'll be engaging from, but nobody in their right mind would waste ammo firing at a target "somewhere over there" without knowing it's location at minimum, and preferably also it's exact speed, course ect.
It just did not happen IRL.
It might not seem like real action to you but that is certainly how it was, and that should be more important.

Edited by Draco
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

17 hours ago, Skeksis said:

Look at it this way, your whole fleet is in formation, a contact is made, but you have to manoeuvre each individual ship into their visible contact distance. Doesn’t seem like real actions to me, but if contact made, then the fleet begins turning its big guns, that's more real. 

I hope you are not serious. Do you actually understand how naval gunnery works? 

• Thanks 3

2 hours ago, madham82 said:

I hope you are not serious. Do you actually understand how naval gunnery works? 

Rude. I don't agree with skeksis on much, but he's one of us, let's be civil mad.

54 minutes ago, Skeksis said:

Nothing here for in-game application.

You guy’s need to offer feedback that’s compatible with UAD game and to within the state of a computer. You’re simply regurgitating historical literature without suggestion, pointless.

We're simply asking for a 50-75% debuff to ships firing on ships they haven't spotted.

Should take no more than and afternoon at worst to implement.

• Like 4

I love this Game, the idea, the design, the gameplayy, the building, nearly everything is really cool exspecially for an Early alpha title....

But i admit, the really lacklustre communication of the Devs with the community really throw a stone in my face each and every time. The long times between updates are not even that much of a problem, but the lack of any information for months upon time really sucks ass. Would be great if they got themself an community manager (maybe even out of the community, i bet there are plenty who would do that even for free) to give us some regular updates on what is going on...

• Like 10

1 hour ago, Skeksis said:

Ah, well then it could be trialed.

It's just I'm in favor of blind firing, brings variety to the player to combat it. And it gives an advantage to the AI, which is much needed, the AI gotta to have some things. Nerfing will diminish both. 

Well if you think about it, all fire that occurs inside radar but outside visual range counts as blind fire 🙂

Edited by Draco
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Skeksis said:

Nothing here for in-game application.

You guy’s need to offer feedback that’s compatible with UAD game and to within the state of a computer. You’re simply regurgitating historical literature without suggestion, pointless.

I opened up on topics of, retreating, RTS elements and the description of visibility mechanics, if you have something....

100% realism and nothing else. Unless impossible to code of course. Everything that could be made more realistic, should be made so. That is what the original backers bought into. 

• Like 4

13 was in combat system section alone.
Most of us bought essentially that text. Maybe our mistake, but not us to be blamed for selling that text.
Anyway, not implemented individual target tracking is not "great and genius game mechanic that's here to stay", it is nothing more than lazy placeholder for hopefully WIP content. Same goes for most of the currently existing questionable mechanics.

In my opinion (that barely matters but still), only acceptably implemented parts of this game as it currently stands are: visuals, basic game logic (UI handling etc), whole system that handles representing various effects as percentage multipliers, ship generation algorithm (perhaps, editor still doesn't allow it to shine), gunnery target prioritisation logic, mostly sailing logic (ship helmsman simulation, not the physics of moving ships), some certain parts of ship controlling AI.

Everything else is split between placeholder, shit and non existent.

Edited by Cpt.Hissy
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Kinda major problem here, but some units seem to be incredibly hesitant to fire their weapons, including main guns, despite being ordered to fire everything at everything and make it loot as ridiculous as possible. In pretty much every battle I've equipped large portions of my fleet with long range torpedos, there has been a massive delay between the enemy fleet coming into range and ships equipped with torpedos actually launching them. This problem doesn't seem to be limited to torpedos either, as shown by attached images. 
PhjeUsd.png

First image shows ammo expenditure for 1 of 2 heavy cruisers, over about 15 minutes of engaging the enemy. Note that no torpedos have been launched from this ship, despite numerous enemies having been within range for over 15 minutes at this point.
wTdqy7I.png

Second image show's the first ship's division-mate, who has expended almost 3 times as much 8" ammo, as well as 8 torpedos, during the same 15 minute engagement window. 
Vhl3QPu.png

These two ships are less than 2 kilometers away, and have had access to all the same targets, with similar firing angles and fire-control equipment. I can't think of any realistic reason why there is such a massive disparity between how much each of these ships has fired at the enemy. If there's a reasonable explanation for this, I'd love to hear it.

• Sad 2

14 hours ago, Warrior044 said:

Would be great if they got themself an community manager (maybe even out of the community)

It would have to be like the Romans having two consuls because one community manager would end up leaning towards one of the two factions that make up the community, and then we’d really be off to the races.

IIRC with the weird forum rank and engagement scores @Skeksis would obviously be the most likely candidate from the “Arcade” side, but if he was the sole community manager - lol I mean, it would be acrimonious at best.

I don’t think he’s a bad guy or a bad poster, be he clearly leans towards “Arcade”, and that’s borne out in his relationship to the other faction of the community. He’d be a good choice for community manager - as long as the “ticket” was balanced. 

See: This Page of discussion.

Edited by DougToss
  • Like 2

JJNHswL.jpgTesting improvements to the visual quality.

@Nick Thomadis i like to mention a few things:

- Anti Aliasing is always set to off when i launch the game. A small issue.

- Is possible to replace the sky for high resolution textures?

- Can you consider to replace the shells FX for another one not so bright? It seems odd to see those starshells flying, however i understand they make it easier for the player to track them at long ranges.

- The smoke from the funnels in UAD reflects to much the guns blast light. If it was a night battle i think it could look awesome with a little nerf to the effect, but in day light conditions is just too much what we have atm.

Edited by o Barão
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, DougToss said:

It would have to be like the Romans having two consuls because one community manager would end up leaning towards one of the two factions that make up the community, and then we’d really be off to the races.

IIRC with the weird forum rank and engagement scores @Skeksis would obviously be the most likely candidate from the “Arcade” side, but if he was the sole community manager - lol I mean, it would be acrimonious at best.

I don’t think he’s a bad guy or a bad poster, be he clearly leans towards “Arcade”, and that’s borne out in his relationship to the other faction of the community. He’d be a good choice for community manager - as long as the “ticket” was balanced. 

You will need a third to balans both avatars of arcade and simulation. And a fourth for memes as well.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, DougToss said:

Personally, I'd like a balance of both. I like realism, but I also like somethings being arcade style. I don't want things to turn into a chore, but I also want it to be somewhat realistic at the same time. 

• Like 6

I know I've reported on this issue previously, but if anything, hopefully this latest report will help bring attention to it, resulting in a timely fix that we can all enjoy.
Anyway, without further ado, I present to you the "winner" of the title of most unreliable ship in the game!
94FaLZH.png

This British battlecruiser has decided that, despite his allies being engaged with the entire enemy fleet, he needs to scout ahead of his buddies for... something? Not entirely sure what he hopes to find, seeing as my fleet's closest formation is currently 43 Kilometers Away, In The Other Direction. Beattie would be so proud. 
In all seriousness, this course of action is unacceptable for any ship, regardless of type. There is no excuse for any combat vessel to be this committed to avoiding the enemy. I'm almost certain that this is due to ships being assigned to the "scout" role. This needs to be fixed, I understand that the scouting role was essential in historic naval engagements, but in its current state, it serves no real purpose, and detracts from the gameplay experience. Ships assigned to this role never actually find anything, and this always results in them having to turn around, and die pointlessly in the face of overwhelming enemy forces, as the majority of their allies have either been sunk, or badly crippled by the time they actually show up to help.
Again, Beattie would be so proud.

• Like 8

When you put 45 knots on a ship: No, No, No! Light Speed is too slow! We're gonna have to go right to... Ludicrous Speed!

Part II: 

Officer: We're gonna hit them! Stop this thing! Reverse Engines!
Crewman: We cant stop! It's too dangerous! We've got to slow down first!
Officer: Bullsh*t! Just stop this thing! I order you... Stooooooooooop!
Crewman: As you wish sir!

Engines: All 3 engines are now damaged, and will take forever to repair, and the ship still collides with the other ship anyways. Lol

Edited by Commander Reed
  • Like 6

On 10/31/2021 at 7:29 PM, Admiral Short said:

Can we please get the ability to download the save files for our ships to share them (presuming they are in file form)?

They are in code form, so if you know how to copy-paste code from one file to another you can do that already :)

On 10/31/2021 at 12:02 PM, Commander Reed said:

When you put 45 knots on a ship: No, No, No! Light Speed is too slow! We're gonna have to go right to... Ludicrous Speed!

Part II: 

Officer: We're gonna hit them! Stop this thing! Reverse Engines!
Crewman: We cant stop! It's too dangerous! We've got to slow down first!
Officer: Bullsh*t! Just stop this thing! I order you... Stooooooooooop!
Crewman: As you wish sir!

Engines: All 3 engines are now damaged, and will take forever to repair, and the ship still collides with the other ship anyways. Lol

You cannot steer while the engines are in reverse. Once you turn off the reverse you will regain the ability to steer... though you will be going much slower. 

26 minutes ago, davidt_man said:

You cannot steer while the engines are in reverse. Once you turn off the reverse you will regain the ability to steer... though you will be going much slower. 

Mate, it's a joke. I wasn't talking about the realism of it, it's just for a laugh.

But yeah, I am aware of that. Thanks though XD