Game-Labs Forum

>>>Core Patch 0.5 Feedback Hotfix v90<<<

Nick Thomadis

So...it's been a long time since I posted something meaningful. I've been mostly inactive for the last what? Six months? And I think that this game and the community behind it is (or perhaps rather was) too important to me to just disappear. Some ideas came to my mind just a few minutes ago in the shower so I'd like to gather them in this goodbye letter (sort of) to the community. I am officially going dark now. I'll definitely stop by if there will ever be some  progress worth mentioning in development. But for now...I am just too tired od this.

I am seriously afraid that the game development reached it's end. It just seems to be unable to break this never ending stalemate in development that has been here for a long, long time.

Damn guys...it's been two years. That's just hell of a lot time to make a game (especially if we take into account that they didn't start two years ago...they released an open alpha two years ago). During the time we didn't receive vast majority of what we were promised to get for our money. Now a lot of people feel scammed of their money and I feel that way to. But do you know what hurts me more than the fifty euros I paid for unfulfilled promises? That I put my anticipation and excitement into this project. And not just mine. We had so much fun discussing here with the people od the same interest... But most of them are gone. They got tired and bored just like me. Now I rarely see those old known nicks popping out in my alerts....

It's such a shame what happened to the game. Not only because it would have been a unique, great game but also because I believe it could have had an amazing community. Damn it was only around alpha and yet this was the best community I have ever had the honor to be part of...  For that I'd like to thank you all. It has been such fun with you. It was you who made this game such fun for me. Not the devs. And to the end there is one person without whom the UA:D community wouldn't even be a UA:D community: @Cptbarney I'd like to thank you Barney for what you did for the community. I think that most od the community would agree with me when I say that you've been the most important figure of this forum and of this community. Once again...thank you.

Edited by Aceituna
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 3

I find it so sad. I followed this game and you since the past 2 years. And I always appreciated your post. I find it so sad the a simple respect for the devs would have change a lot of thing.. One message a week to keep us active, keep us inform.

Again communication is the beginning of a good marketing and success. If they loose us like that, core fan, there is not much left here.

Sorry

• Like 1
  • Thanks 5

There is a possibility that the devs have been abducted by grey aliens and submited to brutal medical experiments.

Suffering from this trauma, when they return we'll get more 200k ton superbattleships instead of old predreadnought hulls.

Edited by Zuikaku
  • Like 3

13 hours ago, Aceituna said:

So...it's been a long time since I posted something meaningful. I've been mostly inactive for the last what? Six months? And I think that this game and the community behind it is (or perhaps rather was) too important to me to just disappear. Some ideas came to my mind just a few minutes ago in the shower so I'd like to gather them in this goodbye letter (sort of) to the community. I am officially going dark now. I'll definitely stop by if there will ever be some  progress worth mentioning in development. But for now...I am just too tired od this.

I am seriously afraid that the game development reached it's end. It just seems to be unable to break this never ending stalemate in development that has been here for a long, long time.

Damn guys...it's been two years. That's just hell of a lot time to make a game (especially if we take into account that they didn't start two years ago...they released an open alpha two years ago). During the time we didn't receive vast majority of what we were promised to get for our money. Now a lot of people feel scammed of their money and I feel that way to. But do you know what hurts me more than the fifty euros I paid for unfulfilled promises? That I put my anticipation and excitement into this project. And not just mine. We had so much fun discussing here with the people od the same interest... But most of them are gone. They got tired and bored just like me. Now I rarely see those old known nicks popping out in my alerts....

It's such a shame what happened to the game. Not only because it would have been a unique, great game but also because I believe it could have had an amazing community. Damn it was only around alpha and yet this was the best community I have ever had the honor to be part of...  For that I'd like to thank you all. It has been such fun with you. It was you who made this game such fun for me. Not the devs. And to the end there is one person without whom the UA:D community wouldn't even be a UA:D community: @Cptbarney I'd like to thank you Barney for what you did for the community. I think that most od the community would agree with me when I say that you've been the most important figure of this forum and of this community. Once again...thank you.

Thanks, its sad to see you go. But i don't blame you really, i've been taking a bit of break from modelling  so i can focus on other things like animating and rigging (along with being burnt out as well). But i have to admit staying motivated for the game is serious challenge at this point.

I find it more and more difficult to actually post, as theres little to post and for my ships i've moved on to other platforms now, where i post on discord more frequently if entirely now. Plus its hassle free when it comes to uploading renders.

I also appreciate everyone on this forum, who wants the game to succeed but has lost hope or are losing hope as i've learnt a lot of about naval vessels and it also gave me the motivation and spirit to make ships in blender and 3ds max (Literally the main reason why i made them in the first place was because of this game).

I guess for me ill stick around, but i have no clue what the future holds for this game. I do hope its a good one, but judging from what has been going on i do have serious concerns about this games future.

Me thinks they took too much big of a scope for their game, as one my game development friends mentioned around 70-80% of all indie games that fail is due to poor scope management and the game being far too big and complex to handle.

I also like to thank you for the shout out, i didn't even think i influenced the community in anyway too be fair. Cheers to those who came around and those who have stuck by. Ill wait for when we get news of the campaign.

Many thanks @Aceituna may the old boags be with you. 'w'/

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Aceituna said:

I am kind of feeling the same at this. The development is very slow and has been slowing down even more lately.

The Core patch was promised for last august. Even if you count the pandemic, it should have only been delayed for about 6 months, and thus release early this year. And then the january/february launch was missed. Its November, and we only got 0.5.

When we ask for more info on the state of the campaign, their replies are always "We are working on the campaign, more info to come.". We almost have to beg them to tell us about the game.

I came into this game out of curiosity, last October, as Im interested into buildings games, not even knowing what a cruiser or destroyer really were. I learned A LOT about naval warfare because of it and the community, and I am grateful for that. I had high hopes for this project, and the potential new features like modular hulls, gun designers, and so oncould bring. I spent a lot of time giving feedback and especially ideas for new content to expand the game.

But then time passed. Alphas came only every 2/3 months, to add a minor feature or two, a bunch of hulls (many copypasted resizes). Core was always "coming soon". And I began to lose interest. Call me spoiled, but as someone who tracked the development of Stormworks since v0.4, I was spoiled with constant streams of devblogs, new features, and such that kept me hooked, almost every 2-4 weeks. Yet, UAD takes so long I no longer care.
It took them 7 months to add more turrets to the italians and russians. I know people that could put out these simplistic models in at most a few days. I no longer feel invested in giving them more ideas, because I know they wont put them into the game, or will take months to give us a halfbaked version of them.

I am part of two communities that were built around this game. One was bigger and the other one smaller. Both were very active at the begining. As excitement died down, the first one detached from UAD and rebranded itself as a naval oriented server, and survived. The second one was too reliant on the game to be able to do the same, and is now slowly shriveling and dying, and I cant do more than sit and watch.

This sounds like a very pessimistic rant, but that is what it is. UA:D as an idea, a RtW game with good 3D graphics was great, but an idea is only as good as its execution. And the execution is a sluggish mess. If you go to the steam discussions, it is a slaughter there, with people bashing the game without stopping.

At this point I care more about the communities built around this game (and my rank in them) than the actual game. I want to love UAD so hard, but I feel like I get spit in the face everytime I do so.

I dont know how to end this post.

14 hours ago, Aceituna said:

I agree with you in every point. I am also inactive, because my motivation is dead. I was here for the old boats, and campaign. I was waiting for them for a long time, but only received some old boats and many endgame content....

I love this community! You guys are the best! And I am very thankfull that I could communicate and discuss many things with you! 

I will be offline too, maybe sometimes I will return from the depths of the ocean, but I just give up waiting. 

Thank you @Cptbarney and @Aceituna for the good conversations! It was honour to met you guys!

• Like 3

13 hours ago, Stormnet said:

Call me spoiled, but as someone who tracked the development of Stormworks since v0.4, I was spoiled with constant streams of devblogs, new features, and such that kept me hooked, almost every 2-4 weeks.

Stormworks absolutely shows how Early Access can work: Frequent communication, frequent patches even for an item or two, strong engagement and reception to feedback, Dev Q&As and streams, WIP work shared and altered if need be etc.

I think I bought stormworks around the same time as UA:D, and whenever I open my Steam Library, I have a positive association with it when I see their updates. It often gets me to stop what I’m doing and play, create workshop content, write guides, contribute to discussion. That’s what a difference it can make.

14 hours ago, DougToss said:

Stormworks absolutely shows how Early Access can work: Frequent communication, frequent patches even for an item or two, strong engagement and reception to feedback, Dev Q&As and streams, WIP work shared and altered if need be etc.

I think I bought stormworks around the same time as UA:D, and whenever I open my Steam Library, I have a positive association with it when I see their updates. It often gets me to stop what I’m doing and play, create workshop content, write guides, contribute to discussion. That’s what a difference it can make.

I like stormworks, but I just don't have the time for it, so I'm unable to play it very often. Pretty good game though.

• Like 1